Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

arisu posted:

For my breakfast every morning on my trip I'm gonna go 7-11 slumming

For breakfast we had family mart sushi and nikuman. For lunch/supper we’re having margherita pizza, negi salad, and a massive strip of pork belly from Tokyu Food Show :v:

Dad’s loving enamored with famima meals.

Stringent posted:

Y'all should do yourselves right and hit up bakeries instead (Vie de France, Little Mermaid, or w/e). Basically the same kinda stuff, but you can get it fresh.

For breakfast we also got anpan and a slice of kabocha pie from a bakery at Ueno station. It was 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

harperdc posted:

Nope. And pancakes and French toast both are much more of a “girls’ lunch dessert” than “breakfast platter” food here anyways.

AW :( I guess they can be a treat, but...well, that makes more sense than being breakfast items, really.

Magna Kaser posted:

your dad is why japanese and korean phones can't mute the camera shutter sound!!!

I was quite embarrassed at that and told him how rude it was. He was just like “oops :saddowns:”.

Nobody displayed any annoyance, but come on, they had to have heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
There's an Egg in Ikebukuro that serves quite decadent breakfasts. But it's a lot of effort to travel to a different part of Tokyo just to eat breakfast :v:

It is worth it to travel to World Breakfast Allday though, especially if you're a breakfast lover like me who loves to try all kinds of breakfasts. They're serving Korean breakfast now, which looks real tasty, along with the usual fare of pancakes, full English and also huevos rancheros it seems.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I also went to some fine western breakfast place in Tokyo (I went to eggs 'n things in Ginza which had decent eggs benedict), I just mean in general Japan has lacks a breakfast culture compared to like China, Taiwan, HK, Vietnam, or the west... where breakfast rules and you can't walk down a street in the morning without running into 5 delicious things sold from small shops or carts.

Japan is also the only place I've had bad baozi and it's simultaneously the only bad thing I ate in Tokyo or Osaka (other places are as of yet 100% good).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wendy’s in Tokyo was fun !

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
so it's looking like my anovember trip is probably expanding from osaka and kyoto to also kagawa.

what things should i be paying special attention to in shikoku?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Peanuts house! Mother ducking udon. That fish place in saijo. And go rent a car!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

I also went to some fine western breakfast place in Tokyo (I went to eggs 'n things in Ginza which had decent eggs benedict), I just mean in general Japan has lacks a breakfast culture compared to like China, Taiwan, HK, Vietnam, or the west... where breakfast rules and you can't walk down a street in the morning without running into 5 delicious things sold from small shops or carts.

Japan is also the only place I've had bad baozi and it's simultaneously the only bad thing I ate in Tokyo or Osaka (other places are as of yet 100% good).

But it's p easy to get a sick croissant, so I generally just do that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
if i'm being told to rent a car i'm assuming it's a Train Every Hour situation?

e: also probably only staying there for 3 maybe 4 days, but we haven't planned anything so who knows maybe longer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of sick, Tokyu Food Show is seriously impressive. I wanted to eat everything there. God, we got a whole slab of salt and pepper pork belly and just devoured the motherfucker along with some gelato. Not even slightly sorry.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

But it's p easy to get a sick croissant, so I generally just do that.

i get the curry bread and look forward to the hypertension

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The hotel I stayed in both my Tokyo visits had pretty decent (but expensive) breakfast that was a mix of some western but mostly Japanese stuff.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of sick, Tokyu Food Show is seriously impressive. I wanted to eat everything there. God, we got a whole slab of salt and pepper pork belly and just devoured the motherfucker along with some gelato. Not even slightly sorry.

Yeah, those department store food courts are one of my favorite things.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mikeycp posted:

so it's looking like my anovember trip is probably expanding from osaka and kyoto to also kagawa.

what things should i be paying special attention to in shikoku?

Kagawa and Ehime will have rowdy festivals p much every weekend in October.
Are you sure you're coming in November??? :/

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Had some good breakfasts at Mercer Brunch.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

QuasiQuack posted:

There's an Egg in Ikebukuro that serves quite decadent breakfasts. But it's a lot of effort to travel to a different part of Tokyo just to eat breakfast :v:

It is worth it to travel to World Breakfast Allday though, especially if you're a breakfast lover like me who loves to try all kinds of breakfasts. They're serving Korean breakfast now, which looks real tasty, along with the usual fare of pancakes, full English and also huevos rancheros it seems.

Oh hey that first place looks perfect for hitting up before my tattoo :toot:

Then ramen afterwards cause Ikebukuro had bomb ramen from what I've heard?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did Ameyoko always have a bunch of shops hawking random crap along it, or is that a recent thing? e.g. that army surplus store-looking place.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeycp posted:

if i'm being told to rent a car i'm assuming it's a Train Every Hour situation?

e: also probably only staying there for 3 maybe 4 days, but we haven't planned anything so who knows maybe longer.

Definitely a train every hour situation, but depending on what you want to do, the main downtown and tourist areas are pretty well serviced. If you are going to the islands, just plan on devoting your whole day to that because they are extremely inconvenient. I don’t know if you really need a car unless you are going to tour the whole of Shikoku. For reference, you can get to anywhere in Kagawa from the city center in about an hour.

Edit: if you are not set on Kagawa in particular, allow me to suggest Kochi as a more interesting destination. If you like natural beauty, history, and getting hammered at the fish market, Kochi is a lot more fun. If you like udon, like really really like it, then Kagawa is the place to be.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 16, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Did Ameyoko always have a bunch of shops hawking random crap along it, or is that a recent thing? e.g. that army surplus store-looking place.

Always been that way.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh hey that first place looks perfect for hitting up before my tattoo :toot:

Then ramen afterwards cause Ikebukuro had bomb ramen from what I've heard?

Yeah. Mutekiya and Kikanbo have great ramen

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

QuasiQuack posted:

Yeah. Mutekiya and Kikanbo have great ramen

gently caress yeah. Anything else notable in Ikebukuro? Pretty sure we'll go there a bit before my appointment to explore.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ooh, I haven’t heard much about Ikebukuro. Apparently Sunshine 60 has cat cafes and a Pokémon center??? That sounds cool.

Dad wants to go to kabuki in Osaka (dad is old). Is Osaka at all notable for it?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, I haven’t heard much about Ikebukuro. Apparently Sunshine 60 has cat cafes and a Pokémon center??? That sounds cool.

Dad wants to go to kabuki in Osaka (dad is old). Is Osaka at all notable for it?

There is a theater in Osaka but I think Tokyo is the only place where you can see it now. It’s also the only place that has the single act tickets. See here: https://www.kabukiweb.net/

I took my mom to see kabuki and we both enjoyed it. The single acts are not a huge time commitment and pretty cheap.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
There's not all that much touristy stuff to do in Ikebukuro, but it's a good place for shopping. The food court in the basement of tobu/seibu is wonderful (Juchheim baumcuchen :circlefap:)

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

zmcnulty posted:

Nikko, Mt Fuji, Kamakura, Atami

Thank you.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Kagawa and Ehime will have rowdy festivals p much every weekend in October.
Are you sure you're coming in November??? :/

yeah we've had our tickets for a while (nov 7-24). if i would've known about this i would've pushed the trip up some :(

LyonsLions posted:

Definitely a train every hour situation, but depending on what you want to do, the main downtown and tourist areas are pretty well serviced. If you are going to the islands, just plan on devoting your whole day to that because they are extremely inconvenient. I don’t know if you really need a car unless you are going to tour the whole of Shikoku. For reference, you can get to anywhere in Kagawa from the city center in about an hour.

Edit: if you are not set on Kagawa in particular, allow me to suggest Kochi as a more interesting destination. If you like natural beauty, history, and getting hammered at the fish market, Kochi is a lot more fun. If you like udon, like really really like it, then Kagawa is the place to be.

i don't know that we're going for a full island tour. the gf wants to go just for this: https://nintendosoup.com/slowpoke-paradise-returns-to-kagawa-for-the-second-time-in-2019/ and i'm taking it as a chance to spend a few days somewhere new. i think we'd like the head over to dogo onsen? but this is a new development so we haven't planned more besides "we're going." if shikoku people are down to meet up with internet strangers we're game

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

QuasiQuack posted:

There's not all that much touristy stuff to do in Ikebukuro, but it's a good place for shopping. The food court in the basement of tobu/seibu is wonderful (Juchheim baumcuchen :circlefap:)

I like Isetan, Mitsukoshi, and Takashimaya more but that's just me personally.

Also literally everywhere celebrates baumkuchen

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I wish I could go to Japan right now and sample all of those :(

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Ikebukuro is Akihabara for fujoshis. They got some good nerd shops but it's like 80% anime hotboys what wanna shtup each other.

They do have a lot of theme cafe collaborations though, if you wanna have pretty ordinary food and drink themed after your favorite waifus and also get your hands on some exclusive character goods.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ikebukuro rules

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bloodnose posted:

Ikebukuro is Akihabara for fujoshis. They got some good nerd shops but it's like 80% anime hotboys what wanna shtup each other.

They do have a lot of theme cafe collaborations though, if you wanna have pretty ordinary food and drink themed after your favorite waifus and also get your hands on some exclusive character goods.

Mmmmm nope nope nope. I’m avoiding as much anime nerdery as possible on this trip. Not only is it embarrassing to all involved, it’s really not why I’m here. I do have to stop by akiba for some friend souvenirs tho...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

coward

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

big coward

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Imagine some loving nonplussed bighair idiot foreigner stumbling into a butler cafe and getting extremely confused.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Imagine some loving nonplussed bighair idiot foreigner stumbling into a butler cafe and getting extremely confused.

sounds extremely lit imho

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mikeycp posted:

yeah we've had our tickets for a while (nov 7-24). if i would've known about this i would've pushed the trip up some :(

i don't know that we're going for a full island tour. the gf wants to go just for this: https://nintendosoup.com/slowpoke-paradise-returns-to-kagawa-for-the-second-time-in-2019/ and i'm taking it as a chance to spend a few days somewhere new. i think we'd like the head over to dogo onsen? but this is a new development so we haven't planned more besides "we're going." if shikoku people are down to meet up with internet strangers we're game

Dogo is very nice on the outside. The inside is being remodeled a bit?

Shimanami Kaido is a perfect Shikoku thing to do in November. Then you're near Hiroshima anyway…
If you're in Niihama, you might be able to peek at taiko festival if they're swapping out the teams on display inside Akagane Museum. I would have to call and ask the schedule, each team stays in for 4-6 months.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mikeycp posted:

sounds extremely lit imho

I’m imagining those scenes in westerns where the ragtime crashes loudly and everyone turns to look at the new sheriff in town. Except probably more like Blazing Saddles than Good, Bad, and the Ugly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like it’s hilarious but I don’t wanna be the subject, man.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Dogo is very nice on the outside. The inside is being remodeled a bit?

Shimanami Kaido is a perfect Shikoku thing to do in November. Then you're near Hiroshima anyway…
If you're in Niihama, you might be able to peek at taiko festival if they're swapping out the teams on display inside Akagane Museum. I would have to call and ask the schedule, each team stays in for 4-6 months.

Shimanami Kaido might be a lot for us, but Akagane seems legit.

i'm down for whatever though. i've made it clear the kinds of stuff i like in here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shimanami Kaido seems super fun for cyclists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it does. but while i try to keep fit and know how to ride pretty well i'd hardly call myself a cyclist

considering i ride a bike once every like 5 years