Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Okay, now this is the sort of thing you need to expand upon because it sounds hilarious.
What the poster above said about the gyroscope experiment. They also designed another one in which they would shine a very bright light through a couple of holes from afar. Unsurprisingly, they couldn’t get the holes on the same height to align because light doesn’t curve to follow the curvature of the planet. Article with video of Flat Earthers turning into corncobs: https://kottke.org/19/02/flat-earther-proves-in-simple-experiment-that-the-earth-is-round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Kennel posted:

There has traditionally been plenty of nut job theories about Finnic people. Their "realms" covered (let's ignore that they were extremely sparsely populated) a large part of north-west Russia and Scandinavia but there wasn't written language so there was plenty of room to theorize. These ideas were probably relatively popular because, unlike the most of the other European nations, the Finns didn't have any true moments of national greatness to look back.

Add to the mixture that the modern Finns are very Internet savvy memesters and active on English speaking message and image boards.

Um
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_of_Finland

excuse me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PMush Perfect posted:

At this point, I'm completely convinced it must be an Alex Jones-style thing where the people at the top realize exactly how stupid what they're arguing for is, but they're still selling ad space and conspiracy books to idiots, so why stop milking it now?
My experience is that they aren't "literally" arguing for a "literally" flat earth, but it is a way to signify and own the libs, writ large, by telling them with great volume that they're not a part of their system. I am sure there are a few die-hard true believers but I can guarantee you it is mostly a way to annoy other people.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nessus posted:

My experience is that they aren't "literally" arguing for a "literally" flat earth, but it is a way to signify and own the libs, writ large, by telling them with great volume that they're not a part of their system. I am sure there are a few die-hard true believers but I can guarantee you it is mostly a way to annoy other people.

No, they are literally arguing for a literal flat earth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kennel posted:

The Hyperwar is obviously a joke

say that to the faces of the billions of autistic children in the world you coward.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The 'origin' (obviously still joking) of the Greater Finnish Empire joke that I heard is that Finnish is in a different language family from most other Scandinavian languages, and shares similarities with Hungarian and some central Asian languages;

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages)

So sometime back in the past, there was a Finnish Empire that covered all of those areas, and all those languages have gradually drifted from the Ancient Finnish Language that was spoken thousands of years ago in the empire.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

The 'origin' (obviously still joking) of the Greater Finnish Empire joke that I heard is that Finnish is in a different language family from most other Scandinavian languages, and shares similarities with Hungarian and some central Asian languages;

So sometime back in the past, there was a Finnish Empire that covered all of those areas, and all those languages have gradually drifted from the Ancient Finnish Language that was spoken thousands of years ago in the empire.

Same, but Portuguese and Japanese coming from the once great Portuanese Fiefdom of 12Er54Su (roughly 85000 years ago).

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Nessus posted:

Hold onto that childlike hope and wonder as long as you can

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Same, but Portuguese and Japanese coming from the once great Portuanese Fiefdom of 12Er54Su (roughly 85000 years ago).

and the Basque came from space, everyone knows this stuff

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1274 BC the egyptian army and the hittite army fought in Kadesh, it is the best documented battle in all of ancient history. Despite this it's not really clear who actually won the battle. The egytpians described how their chariots overtook the hittite chariots and took them down. Meanwhile, the hittites wrote about how they chased the egyptian army out of Kadesh with their tails between their legs. Most historians believe that the battle ended in a draw.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

At this point, I'm completely convinced it must be an Alex Jones-style thing where the people at the top realize exactly how stupid what they're arguing for is, but they're still selling ad space and conspiracy books to idiots, so why stop milking it now?

I'm fairly sure it's this... I used to work with one of the main Flat Earther guys, Mark Sargent. He was a bit goofy, but not really dumb, I think he just wanted to start a cult or something similar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Waci posted:

The idea of the Earth being flat didn't start as a meme though.

In part it did, since the old Flat Earth Society was just an in-joke.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea it always seemed to me like a usenet nerd joke that got outta hand.

Like, in the way early 1990s, there was also a group called something like alt.destroy.the.earth (for the youngins, the usenet prefix "alt." for alternative was the catchall --- it wasn't comp. or arts. or soc(ial). so why not put it in in alt.). It was basically just goofy theorycrafting about ways to destroy the Earth. Motivation was unimportant, and iirc a majority of solutions involved using the moon as an offensive weapon.

I remember similar "flat earth" tomfoolery with strange explanations for our observable phenomena, and I guess at some point it got outta hand...

e: oh my there's the FAQ, with many examples of ways to destroy the Earth:
https://jult.net/adte.htm

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Apr 13, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If you guys want to read about a goofy conspiracy theory(that would nonetheless make for a good RPG or movie or videogame with some tweaking) look up The Saturn Death Cult someday

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

e: oh my there's the FAQ, with many examples of ways to destroy the Earth:
https://jult.net/adte.htm

If you like that, you might also enjoy How to destroy the Earth, which has a bunch of different potential techniques, their requirements, and their plausibilities.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qntm is a goon! didn't know that specific page tho so thx!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You morons the earth can't be flat. If the earth is flat it can't be hollow and if it isn't hollow then where do UFOs come from?

Checkmate

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

FreudianSlippers posted:

You morons the earth can't be flat. If the earth is flat it can't be hollow and if it isn't hollow then where do UFOs come from?

Checkmate

That's easy, they come from the secret Nazi planet of Aldebaran whose inhabitants are the original Aryans. I mean, that's common knowledge????

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich posted:

That's easy, they come from the secret Nazi planet of Aldebaran whose inhabitants are the original Aryans. I mean, that's common knowledge????
Muss man wissen!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

System Metternich posted:

I thought it was the Empire that blew that place up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

frankenfreak posted:

Muss man wissen!

Lebensraum suddenly has an extra meaning

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Edward II, king of England from 1307-1327, was a great fan of revelry and could be considered the most enthusiastic patron of English minstrels. He seemed to be less interested in the noble pursuits of hunting and chivalric contests than livery-clad showmen.
His nurse was a minstrel, which could have possibly sparked an early appreciation for the art. Treasury rolls and expenditure records show that he was very willing to pay for entertainment. Records of his coronation show that 154 musicians were hired for the ceremony.
Jack of St. Albans was paid 50 shillings because “he danced before the king on a table and made him laugh very greatly”. For comparison, an English laborer in 1300 could expect a yearly wage of ~40 shillings.
He awarded 20 shillings to one of his cooks when “he rode before the King ... and often fell from his horse, at which the King laughed very greatly.”
The barons tried to rein in his spending by ending “jack-of-all-trades” minstrels and delineating specific roles for his entertainers and trying to limit the number of them employed by the court: “There shall be trumpeters and 2 other minstrels, and sometimes more and sometimes less, who shall play before the king and it shall please him.”
In 1313, on the first anniversary of the death of his close companion and possible lover Piers Gaveston, Edward travelled to Pontoise, France and was entertained by Bernard the Fool and 54 naked dancers.
Edward was eventually deposed by his wife and her lover and imprisoned in Berkeley Castle. Most historians believe he was murdered by the new regime, although other accounts involve natural causes or death by anal abuse with a metal rod (an unlikely event, but the origins of this belief are interesting in themselves). A minority, including the prolific Edward II biographer Ian Mortimer, believe he escaped imprisonment and died much later: http://www.ianmortimer.com/EdwardII/death.htm

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Apr 15, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I learned some cool facts about Notre Dame's bells from wikipedia

The cathedral has 10 bells, the bourdon called Emmanuel, which is tuned to F sharp, has been an accompaniment to some of the most major events in the history of France ever since it was first cast, such as for the Te Deum for the coronation of French kings along with major events like the visit of the Pope, and others to mark the end of conflicts including World War I and World War II.

Jean Marie is the smallest bell of the cathedral. Unlike Benoît-Joseph and Anne-Geneviève which have two names, it is named after Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger, Paris' bishop from 1981 until 2005, and on it is engraved the eighth and last sentence of the Angelus: “that we might be made worthy of the promises of Christ”. It plays an A sharp and weighs 0.780 tons. It has a small gray stripe above the skirt. This bell is also used for weddings

In the North Tower, there are eight bells varying in size from largest to smallest. Gabriel is the largest bell there; it weighs four tons and plays an A sharp. It is named after St. Gabriel, who announced the birth of Jesus to the Virgin Mary. Built in a bell foundry outside Paris in 2013, it also chimes the hour through the day. Like Emmanuel and Marie, Gabriel is used to mark specific events. It is used mainly for masses on Sundays in ordinary times and some solemnities falling during the week in the Plenum North. It shows 40 circular lines representing the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert and the 40 years of Moses' crossing the Sinai.

... There's more, but I don't want to quote the whole page. But dang, I am emotional about bells and stained glass windows today.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Adolf Frederick died in Stockholm on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, kippers and champagne, which was topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg made of semla and served in a bowl of hot milk

This is a Semla

And each one of those would have had its own individual bowl of milk. The gooniest king

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone post that polish king with the oranges

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reverse scurvy. The scourge of the Polish aristocracy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Xun posted:

Adolf Frederick died in Stockholm on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, kippers and champagne, which was topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg made of semla and served in a bowl of hot milk

This is a Semla

And each one of those would have had its own individual bowl of milk. The gooniest king

One of my Swedish friends told me that the monarchs would sleep sitting up in bed to prove that they were different from the common folk.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria, was, to be kind, a inbred and disabled simpleton. Although he was able to keep a coherent diary and apparently was fairly witty, he was a epileptic who suffered from near hourly seizures at times, and the country was actually ruled by a secret regency council set up by his father before his death. When the wave of revolutions hit in 1848 he allegedly asked one of the regents "are they allowed to do that?" after being informed that a mob of armed students was marauding around the city issuing demands for constitutions and so on. He abdicated in favor of his 18 year old nephew Franz Joseph later in the year, and retired to Prague Castle until his death in 1875. Ultimately he is mainly remembered for once going "I am the emperor and I demand apricot dumplings!" after being told that he couldn't have apricot dumplings because it was the middle of the winter.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Red Bones posted:

One of my Swedish friends told me that the monarchs would sleep sitting up in bed to prove that they were different from the common folk.

Not true tho, just look at king size bed. I think their huge castles, lavished foods and huge beds with cotton and silk was enough really.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xun posted:

This is a Semla

A meal to die for. Or if you're a pirate queen, to kill for.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is that a one piece reference

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Xun posted:

This is a Semla

Semla is fuckin delicious and I'll fight anyone who says different

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

What the poster above said about the gyroscope experiment. They also designed another one in which they would shine a very bright light through a couple of holes from afar. Unsurprisingly, they couldn’t get the holes on the same height to align because light doesn’t curve to follow the curvature of the planet. Article with video of Flat Earthers turning into corncobs: https://kottke.org/19/02/flat-earther-proves-in-simple-experiment-that-the-earth-is-round

A drainage canal in the east of England has had Flat Earth cranks and actual scientists descending on it in turn to carry out variants of this experiment for about 170 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

Basically, if you neglect to allow for atmospheric refraction, you can 'prove' the Earth is flat. If people with surveying training do the same experiment you get exactly the results you'd expect from a spheroid Earth 25,000 miles across.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Victor Emmanuel III, the second-to-last King of Italy, was short. Like, very short. 150 cm short, just over 5 feet. In contrast his cousin, Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, was really tall, standing at nearly 2 metres tall (6 feet 6).

Victor Emmanuel married Helen of Montenegro, who was considered to be a bit "rough around the edges"; many people at court scoffed at her because of her supposedly humble origins.

Once, when Amedeo was in a room with other people, the king and his wife showed up, and Amedeo quipped "Hey look, here come shorty and peasant!"

The king heard him.

Amedeo was swiftly named Viceroy and Governor General of Italian East Africa, and sent off to the colonies.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mikl posted:

Victor Emmanuel III, the second-to-last King of Italy, was short. Like, very short. 150 cm short, just over 5 feet. In contrast his cousin, Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, was really tall, standing at nearly 2 metres tall (6 feet 6).

Victor Emmanuel married Helen of Montenegro, who was considered to be a bit "rough around the edges"; many people at court scoffed at her because of her supposedly humble origins.

Once, when Amedeo was in a room with other people, the king and his wife showed up, and Amedeo quipped "Hey look, here come shorty and peasant!"

The king heard him.

Amedeo was swiftly named Viceroy and Governor General of Italian East Africa, and sent off to the colonies.

That's an astonishingly good outcome for that.
I mean, being banished to East Africa isn't great, but considering the number of other things a king could do to you...

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

He reigned from 1900 to 1946. Without really knowing the Italian political structure of the time I'd say getting the guy reassigned to the furthest-away part of the Italian empire was probably the most he could manage to do.

Who was the last absolute monarch in Europe anyway? Nicholas II seems like the pick because he apparently had no real checks or balances on his power before the 1906 constitution.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In theory the Pope is still the absolute Monarch of Vatican City, but I don’t think that counts.

The duchies of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz were so far behind the times (Bismarck famously quipped that if the the world should end, he’d simply go to Mecklenburg because there everything happened 50 years later) that by the end of the monarchy in 1918 they hadn’t even managed to reach the absolutism phase and were still stuck with no constitution and the king having to reign together with a council of nobles (Landstände) he had no control over - a political system that had remained essentially unchanged since 1755, when the duke had tried to wrestle control from the nobles and lost.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

bony tony posted:

I will be your second for any duels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

verbal enema posted:

is that a one piece reference

I thought so, but...

bony tony posted:

Samovar posted:

I will be your second for any duels.

Calm down Big Mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The_White_Crane posted:

That's an astonishingly good outcome for that.
I mean, being banished to East Africa isn't great, but considering the number of other things a king could do to you...

This was the 20th century, not the middle ages. It's not like the king could have had him boiled to death or something.