Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/WeAreMel/status/1117847970861309953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pretty good article but there's I've part in the middle where they list the late night comedians who do this and ice Conan, which I think was an editing mistake because that isn't really his schtick

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1118153837188141056?s=20
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1118120348971671552
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1118147103073742848
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1117810320548954112

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Maybe there should be a factual late-night news roundup programme instead of a wait who am I kidding

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Pretty good article but there's I've part in the middle where they list the late night comedians who do this and ice Conan, which I think was an editing mistake because that isn't really his schtick

Agreed, and if anybody wants to gently caress with Conesy they're gonna have to gently caress with me first.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Never not applicable, said as sarcastically as possible:

:hmmyes: "The master race, ladies and gentlemen."

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The problem is twofold, but both related to the same reason: their audience is Boomers and older X'ers. The twofold problem is they're catering to Centrist #resistance types, and the other is that these sorts of shows as a thing are on life support as it is. Colbert tried to ignore politics and his ratings sucked. He slammed Trump and they soared, beating out Fallon whose avoidance of political topics is well-known (the Trump hair tousle, etc).

These shows were unwatchable anyway, though. The only one who was a change of pace was when Conan took the Tonight Show for nine months and Leno came to take it back. Good riddance, these shows belong in history books at this point.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i am harry posted:

Maybe there should be a factual late-night news roundup programme instead of a wait who am I kidding
"The News."

You are talking about a program called The News.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1117983945730273280

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

It's pretty completely up it's own rear end IMO

The difference isn't in style, it's the same poo poo we've been doing since Bush 1. Trump just isn't funny

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did anyone else think of Batman Beyond when Trump made that comment about flying water tankers?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I hate his stupid face

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

The difference isn't in style, it's the same poo poo we've been doing since Bush 1. Trump just isn't funny

That's exactly what the point should have been. Trump has made himself worse than any mockery, so any joke at his expense just serves to humanize the monster.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Unoriginal Name posted:

Name the oldest black church in the US

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I think I found the worst take in forum history....whooooo boy

or is it all the posters arguing with KM about potentially losing history in a fire when most of KM's point is that the same thing has been literally baked into whatever you can even consider our "history" at this point - since we were brought here but never gets any real attention?

It's probably the first but it's close

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 16, 2019

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Never not applicable, said as sarcastically as possible:

:hmmyes: "The master race, ladies and gentlemen."

It works doubly this time, the way tweeter has cropped that pic we literally get-

Well I couldn't remember Tillerson's name

Sexy Rexy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

with dubya we at least had a show like colbert report. nobody's doing anything like that - though you'd pretty much have to do an insane infowars/nazi satire show to do the equivalent nowadays.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1118155023849017345?s=19

Not surprising, but also it was strange and I was unsure why it was happening

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ben Shapiro is 5'4".

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

I hate his stupid face

It really is one of the most punchable faces on the planet.

I realize I haven't shilled for Lee Carter recently, read this thread:
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1118000050070786048

If yall have any spare change to throw this mans way, please do it so my state can become less of a racist hellhole. Lee is pro-labor, pro-environment, pro-transit, and is not taking a dime from corps so he relies on people like us to give him what we can. He is the real loving deal goons and he is being primaried from the right because the Dem Establishment doesn't like that he refuses to bend the knee. His primary opponent is being funded by Republicans for gently caress's sake, and half of them gave money to Corey Stewart. If Lee loses odds are VA Dems will lose this seat and a voice for the progressive cause.

Christ, in VA teachers are not even allowed to strike so they get paid 9% LESS than the national average. That is 9% less than the pittance we already pay them....

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 16, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

with dubya we at least had a show like colbert report. nobody's doing anything like that - though you'd pretty much have to do an insane infowars/nazi satire show to do the equivalent nowadays.

Jordan Klepper tried to do one of those, but it didn't really work

The modern right just isn't funny. Sometimes it's funny when they own goal, but in concept, there's just not any good-natured ribbing to be had.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can't parody Trump.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Outsourcing racism is an interesting turn in 2019.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

For informative comedy there's still Sam Bee, John Oliver, and Some More News (needs a tv spot.) The Colbert Report was a unique warped-mirror kind of comedy that I imagine not alot of people have the chops to pull off.

pseudanonymous posted:

You can't parody Trump.

Also this.

E- Yes, yes, I know John Oliver sucks. :rolleye:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 16, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

How many Ben Shapiro fans have been radicalized by him to kill a bunch of people? I know it's at least 2.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KickerOfMice posted:

The Colbert Report was a unique warped-mirror kind of comedy that I imagine not alot of people have the chops to pull off.

I don't think Colbert Report would work today, period, no matter who was helming it. It's not funny any more.

That said I don't really get the hate against Colbert now. I watch him, he's amusing enough, Jon Batiste is brilliant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

struggling to figure out why audience is in scare/"emphasis" quotes. what a bizarre brain.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Outsourcing racism is an interesting turn in 2019.

Uh that's been done basically forever. You've heard of police, I assume.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1116446760149377024

Can we please start talking more about the enormous housing crisis we have in this country? So far I have only seen Warren come out with a plan for it, but holy poo poo a 600 Sq Ft. Apartment should not be 15-1700 a month!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1118106820856487941

10 Years is too little.

Edit: Jesus Christ. He was also asking for a "ghost gun" which means he was going to murder more black people. WHY THE gently caress IS HE ONLY GETTING TEN YEARS?!?!!?!?

federal murder for hire (even done as a hate crime) caps at 10 years if it results in no personal injury

if he shot anyone, hes looking at least 20 for the federal murder for hire plus whatever other conspiracy charges

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2019

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Going on Ingram's show isn't doing much for Shapiro's statement not even two weeks ago about not being alt-right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

you got it. It felt so easy to me I second guessed myself "surely there was some moron in the mix who lasted like a year as a temporary"

I couldn't remember Tillerson's name. Just that he was the CEO of ExxonMobil. He was pretty useless.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How did Fox misjudge the Bernie audience so massively? I mean they are almost rabidly anti-trump and pro-Bernie/progressive. Surely they were all vetted and selected for their political positions

Was it great organising on the part of Bernie's team to get them there?

I feel like it would be too much to call it a 4D chess on the part of the producers, to increase his chances in the primary, as a strategy to win the general...

Did they just really not expect that kind of support for him?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

Going on Ingram's show isn't doing much for Shapiro's statement not even two weeks ago about not being alt-right.

Absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgD7K1KL2lA

selec
Sep 6, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

You can't parody Trump.

You could in theory but it would require a level of grotesquery and depravity that network censors, sponsors, rich people in general and decorum-poisoned libs would all rise up as one to stop you.

It would require Spitting Image puppets, incest jokes piled on infidelity jokes, diaper fetishism, a Trump puppet who fucks a bucket of KFC while held aloft on a palanquin borne by four weeping tough guys, DJTjr eating the children of caged immigrants in front of them, just complete and total unhinged decadence to highlight how insane the actuality is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

selec posted:

a Trump puppet who fucks a bucket of KFC while held aloft on a palanquin borne by four weeping tough guys

legit lolled at this image.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nazi concentration camps had beds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Kenan's black Trump, who does the exact same things Trump does with the same level of confidence and says "What are they going to do about it? I'm the president" and then gets a phone call " Well, I've been impeached" or the swat team busts into the oval office.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Hahaha he’s really trying to go with the possibility that it’s a fake audience. He sees visible proof of what people support on his hand-holding, safe-space tv station being against him and it breaks his brain.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

RandomBlue posted:

Nazi concentration camps had beds.

The cradle of shittily laid and maintained asphalt is like a mother's embrace. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

struggling to figure out why audience is in scare/"emphasis" quotes. what a bizarre brain.

He's implying the audience was full of Bernie plants.

He's close to saying Fox News is an anti-Trump pro-Bernie propaganda network.