Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes, they also specifically dumbed down/made easier the version of FF2 for SNES that the USA got (it's called FF4 Easytype lol)

FFV was also one of the earliest ROMs to get a complete fan translation patch (and IIRC a couple of the people who did it ended up actually working for Square-Enix's localization crew later on)

Isn't FF2 insanely difficult on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was (is) one of the best team based FPS games out there. Classic Team Fortress 2 comes close to it (before the weird hats/skills).

I miss playing ET a lot. I loved that levels were continuous and a loss in one changed the outcome of the next level. I loved that your skills improved and continued into the next map. I loved the team-based gameplay, medics and field ops were the back bone of teams.

No micro-transactions, no skins, no hats. It was all free, open-sourced, server based goodness.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I never understood the love for Dead Rising. I bought an Xbox 360 for it and couldn't stand it after an hour. Tried it again recently on Steam and had the same problem.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was (is) one of the best team based FPS games out there. Classic Team Fortress 2 comes close to it (before the weird hats/skills).

I miss playing ET a lot. I loved that levels were continuous and a loss in one changed the outcome of the next level. I loved that your skills improved and continued into the next map. I loved the team-based gameplay, medics and field ops were the back bone of teams.

No micro-transactions, no skins, no hats. It was all free, open-sourced, server based goodness.

Yep it's the greatest

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't FF2 insanely difficult on its own

FF2 the NES game, kind of. FF4/2US? Hell no.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thats the one that translated Ragnarok as Kangaroo right?

That was the official GBA release, I think

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The translation for the PSX FFV is the best thing ever. It's got goofy Popeye Faris and horrible item descrips.

They even changed Wyvern's name to Y Burn come the gently caress on lol.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FFT is hot garbage

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bradzilla posted:

FFT is hot garbage

this is true but fft:a and a2 were great

god forbid an a3 on the switch i would end up homeless and destitute

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

A2 kind of fell flat for me, I can't remember why. A1 was great though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Trials games are great

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve Batmans posted:

The translation for the PSX FFV is the best thing ever. It's got goofy Popeye Faris and horrible item descrips.

They even changed Wyvern's name to Y Burn come the gently caress on lol.

The PSX re-releases were absolutely awful, even worse than the Android/iOS one with the hideous sprite replacements. I don't know how they did it but they managed to jam massive loading times between every screen (and in games with random battles that happens A LOT), into what was essentially an SNES emulator.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Trials games are great

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the worst SRPG ive ever played and of the thousands of games Ive played in my life its in the bottom 5% no question alongside garbage like The Fifth Element: The Game

Away all Goats posted:

I don't remember anything about FFT except that it had like way too many classes and the story meandered forever. I don't think I ever beat it.

bradzilla posted:

FFT is hot garbage

What in the world is going on here

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jokes posted:

Unpopular Videogame Opinions!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jokes posted:

the original fft is held together by spit and prayers, has zero difficulty outside of one fight unless you literally do not understand the game's mechanics, and even the war of the lions version doesn't fix it all

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A2 kind of fell flat for me, I can't remember why. A1 was great though.

i loved the original tactics:a but the second screen is really good in a2, plus sleep mode, meant i was playing it basically for months straight

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the original fft is held together by spit and prayers, has zero difficulty outside of one fight unless you literally do not understand the game's mechanics, and even the war of the lions version doesn't fix it all

i loved the original tactics:a but the second screen is really good in a2, plus sleep mode, meant i was playing it basically for months straight

I have vague memories of trying really hard to 100% A2 but the random nature of the missions meant hours and hours of advancing the timer/redoing old missions to try to get them to spawn.

e: also I want to say there were a few missions that were multiplayer-only or had some other annoying barrier to them.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
XCOM sucks because % chance to hit is a bad game mechanic that feels bad, especially in a difficult tactics game with perma-death

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Magnitogorsk. posted:

XCOM sucks because % chance to hit is a bad game mechanic that feels bad, especially in a difficult tactics game with perma-death

i got mario vs rabbids for free and tried it despite hating the rabbids a lot

i thought i'd miss the percentage to hit mechanic (they simplify it out to 100, 50 and 0%) but it was actually really refreshing to not have to worry about missing a guy standing out in the open

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

It's OK if it comes with sane modifiers. Like, if you have a normal guy without handicapping stati, shooting at point-blank range the hit-% must be 100%, not 99%, 95%, or anything below that.

(Actually I'm OK with 1% CRITICAL MISSES if they're amusing and rare.)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Invisible Inc does xcom a lot better than xcom

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

quote:

RNG is a bad game mechanic

Some searing hot takes coming in - Molten-salt levels here!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
RNG is not inherently good or bad. It's all about how it's used (and how often).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jokes posted:

FFT spends act 1 setting up this super cool narrative about political intrigue and backstabbing.

And then it says gently caress all that, this is a jrpg, they're all demons and it's all demons fault. Now go kill god.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I think I'd need a college level course to understand the political storyline in FFT.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I think I'd need a college level course to understand the political storyline in FFT.

Cliff's Notes: western church bad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The king dies in a war, civil war ensues over who gets his stuff.

Poor people come back from fighting the war and get told they aren't getting paid. People start stealing to survive and the nobles crack down on them. Class war ensues.

Just kidding, it's all demons.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Final Fantasy Tactics was one of those PSX games that had whispers of being incredible when I was a kid, it didn't come to the UK for years though so I always felt it skipped past me

I went back and tried it maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it's a garbage game with a convoluted story and Advance Wars was better

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

The king dies in a war, civil war ensues over who gets his stuff.

Poor people come back from fighting the war and get told they aren't getting paid. People start stealing to survive and the nobles crack down on them. Class war ensues.

Just kidding, it's all demons.

That's actually pretty accurate IIRC, except the class war is eclipsed by a power struggle between a few noble houses. The church backs one of the houses but then it turns out the church is hella evil.

Even that whole comically-evil-religion thing is fairly reasonable for middle-ages politics, it's just the evil church is both politically evil, buuuut also "we are secretly demons and our christ figure is the queen demon and we're using the bloodshed from the war to resurrect her" evil.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

unpopular opinion: while super mario world is an insanely better and more fun game than any of the genesis sonic games, graphics wise it looked like boiled rear end and even Sonic 1 looks better visually

the smw sprites are just embarrassing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

unpopular opinion: while super mario world is an insanely better and more fun game than any of the genesis sonic games, graphics wise it looked like boiled rear end and even Sonic 1 looks better visually

the smw sprites are just embarrassing

It was pretty cool how if you were really good at the game you could do that weird Halloween-world sprite theme though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

fft is pretty sketch. i think it's ok but it's jank as hell and the only reason it's ever difficult is because the AI has some kind of surprise attack (zodiac bosses whose stats you can't see), or a really irritating job ability (engineer balk, infinite katanas elmdor)

it's actually really straightforward and basic. delita uses his ingenuity to gain templarhood, and then waits for an opportunity to align with the figurehead princess the church is holding hostage so he can ingratiate himself to the ruling class. once he manages to be invited into goltana's court, he plots with either loyalists to his bid for kingship or with templars who think he's still on their side to assassinate goltana and seize control of his holdings. meanwhile the church is trying to gather the zodiac stones so they can present them to the public as proof of a god-given right to rule, but also the stones contain the souls of ancient demons, the lucavi, who want to conquer/destroy the world, and they take control of the temple knights who use them. since they're now just demons in the bodies of the humans who used their powers, their goal shifts away from "control the populace" to "revive evil jesus, and then ????????".

but because of the poor and possibly deliberately spotty way it's delivered, it isn't always clear about, well, anything.

some people say it's because the translation sucks but this isn't true; it's hard to understand because the source material sucks. lots of people regard it as being smart and innovative because it was the first low/middle fantasy they were really exposed to as a young teenager, but actually it's just trashy. not that there's anything wrong with that, i love trashy poo poo, but let's be honest it's nowhere near as brilliant as you thought it was when you were 13

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A big part of it is they jump around between plot beats so fast it's kind of hard to get a handle on who's on who's side, although I guess you could argue that's intentional to convey the feeling of Ramza who really doesn't have a clue what's going on, except for the fact that he killed a monster priest and the church wants to execute him for it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the XIV story explains the zodiac stones as basically monkey's paws as far as "wish fulfillment with a twist." It's pretty neat; at one point you fight Algus/Duma and he claims to be the true king of Ivalice for some weird reason.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
fft's story is trying to do things way out of its depth wrt literary ambition like having a deuteragonist and intelligently-constructed thematic motifs and several subplots that mirror and comment on the main plot and so i will always think it's charming because of that, but it's a huge mess not helped by the fact that it took me 5 playthroughs and 1 decade to realize one character is referred to by three different names due to the translation

edit: like, everyone thinks the political stuff stops mattering halfway through; and it really doesn't, but i don't blame anyone for thinking it does because the focus completely falls away from it when it really ought to have equal weight for the themes and the mirrored development of Delita / Ramza to make sense or have any kind of emotional resonance. so at the end of the game Ovelia stabs Delita and you're like "where the gently caress did that come from. why."

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 16, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's OK if it comes with sane modifiers. Like, if you have a normal guy without handicapping stati, shooting at point-blank range the hit-% must be 100%, not 99%, 95%, or anything below that.

(Actually I'm OK with 1% CRITICAL MISSES if they're amusing and rare.)

Depends on how you want your game to play, I think Xcom has always had a 99-95% cap on hit chance like fallout and jagged alliance though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Flannelette posted:

Depends on how you want your game to play

Sane.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It comes from tabletop games were you have to use your imagination (I think jagged alliance says you can have everything perfect but then a bird flew past and hit the bullet so you can never have 100% to hit) and everything is probability, having absolutes all over the game can make it stale (but reliable, good for competitive multiplayer shooters) and anything that can't be simulated has to be turned into a dice roll.
Whether or not to have RNG in a video game will probably keep being a debate until computers can simulate everything without it, xcom could stand to have a special animation/voice line for when you miss at 95% though I think SilentStorm had one for that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love listening to people bitching about nuXCOM. It's a great game, with inevitably its own set of problems, but you never hear about those flaws when people are smack talking the (objectively good) game because the complainant is usually a huge crybaby about the most contrary of things. There is literally no way to please everyone, and here are some of the complaints I've heard (many in this thread):

"My guys miss point blank shots! That's unrealistic!"
It's not point blank, they're behind light cover, as is your dude. If you don't like the streamlined turn/cover system, go play Xenonauts or the like. Noticeably, nobody plays Xenonauts (et al) because modern audiences want streamlined turn/cover systems, funny that.

"Game is too hard when you lose a dude" vs "I wish I could send squads of rookies into the meatgrinder like the old games"
First complaint is about how cultivating supersoldiers makes the game easier, while taking casualties makes the game harder. Note: harder, not impossible. These guys HATE losing a guy. Second comment comes from guys who are happy to take losses, and are frustrated that the game keeps pushing them to cultivate veterans. These two people are impossible to please at the same time.

"Game is unfair bullshit for <this reason>"
The game cheats relentlessly in favor of the player, comically so. It fudges rolls, has aliens flee, and goes to great lengths to make a song and dance about how hard things are while secretly passing you money under the table. Losing the campaign takes effort.

This is turning into a McDonalds drive though so I'll stop, but just admit that you don't like the game/genre and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

on the other hand, morrowind's combat system

like in my eyes morrowind is a perfect game but holy poo poo combat is absolutely terrible