Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Irish Catholics are big on open caskets up until removal for the funeral mass
Irish Catholics generally don't have their blood replaced with water and distillery waste* before the wake though. It's refrigeration and careful use of perfume and flowers in the modern age. And, I assume, knowing that a corpse was going to smell like a corpse in times before that.

*insert your own alcoholism joke

e: Irish Catholics

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Barry Foster posted:

I too ideally would like to be thrown out with the trash and forgotten immediately. TBH I find knowing people think and care about me while I'm alive quite stressful enough a lot of the time, I'd rather leave as small a hole as possible and let them get on with their lives ASAP

They're not going to see it that way, despite your insistence.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i made a thread in cspam where i was going to quote the whole thing in multiple posts but got bored really quickly

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bundy posted:

I know nothing of the author but always happy to see someone dunk on Grayling

https://twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/1118127176379969537
I wrote him off as a oval office when he started attacking the left for not being fully on board with intervening in Venezuela and the concept of "regime change", going as far as to describe the far-left as being too "conservative". First of all, why on earth would you care what the far-left thinks on this subject when they hold absolutely no power to put the breaks on anything, and secondly since when is it conservative to have negative opinions of the Wests attempts at foreign intervention when their record with them is loving terrible?

Anyway, he blocked me when he threw a shitfit after I compared him to the kind of journalist that promoted the Iraq War back in the day.

That tweet above though is decent though.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Not keen on leaving no trace: I want to go out in a way that leaves archaeologists in 1000 years or so scratching their heads. Like that pompeii guy whose body was cast permanently by the ash as he was having a wank

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting what bits stay on, like most people showing up to a funeral wearing black even if the deceased specified "this is a celebration, please don't wear black." If they specified "wear neon pink" I bet half the crowd would be black suits with a neon pink armband or tiepin.

In fairness would you want to be the one oik who turns up in a rainbow budgie smuggler while everyone else is dressed in black?

Even I am not going to wave around the funerary instructions and howl about how right I am in that instance.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

I wrote him off as a oval office when he started attacking the left for not being fully on board with intervening in Venezuela and the concept of "regime change", going as far as to describe the far-left as being too "conservative". First of all, why on earth would you care what the far-left thinks on this subject when they hold absolutely no power to put the breaks on anything, and secondly since when is it conservative to have negative opinions of the Wests attempts at foreign intervention when their record with them is loving terrible?

Anyway, he blocked me when he threw a shitfit after I compared him to the kind of journalist that promoted the Iraq War back in the day.

That tweet above though is decent though.

Thanks, so a oval office but a oval office that gave me a chuckle at a bigger oval office's expense :thumbsup:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Peanut Butter posted:

They're not going to see it that way, despite your insistence.

Yeah, I know. Hence 'ideally'.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Not keen on leaving no trace: I want to go out in a way that leaves archaeologists in 1000 years or so scratching their heads. Like that pompeii guy whose body was cast permanently by the ash as he was having a wank

That's not a big headscratcher though, surely?

EDIT - VVVVVVVVV Hiyoooooooo

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 16, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Depends on if you're trying to stimulate the tip.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Barry Foster posted:

he's not actually having a wank. I'd turn the tables

edit ^^^ lol

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Irish Catholics are big on open caskets up until removal for the funeral mass

Yeah, my partner comes from an English Catholic background and when I went to their grandmother's funeral a few years ago I was kinda shocked that there was no wake. I figured there'd be some differences and I was asking if it was common there to kiss the forehead of the deceased or touch their hand because I didn't want to look weird about it. Turns out Irish Catholic attitudes toward death are really different.

We also bury people very, very quick here. I remember when Jade Goody died and my teen self was shocked that it took well over two weeks for her to be buried after her death. My partner's grandmother's funeral was still something like a week after death. Here, people are buried around 2-3 days max after passing. My family were agitated when my aunt passed and because she was cremated it took about 5-6 days to get her into the grave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you just have a lot of funeral contractors over there? Over here a week or two is just how long it takes to get you a slot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Demand that you get buried in a bog, doing a goatse.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cremation ain't much of a thing in Ireland either north or south - still costs about ~3k to get cremated in NI (as we have one crematorium) and you can usually get a full funeral for roughly the same price and there isn't much pressure on plots to push people to opt for it out of neseccity.

I think our cremation rate is somewhere in the 20% range as opposed to the 70s in GB

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Not enough mourners?

quote:

Dumisane Ngobene, 21, placed an ad on Facebook recently offering to “fake-cry” or even “cry and roll on the ground” at funerals – for a fee.

His post, along with a generic picture of people mourning at a funeral, read: “Do you want to boost your funeral? We hire out professional mourners to cry at the funeral. The prices are: normal crying at R200 per mourner, crying and rolling on the ground at R300 per mourner, crying and insulting at R400 a mourner, or crying and threatening to jump into the grave at R500 per mourner.”

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/kwazulu-natal/fake-crier-for-hire-1856378

There was a British outfit called Rent a Mourner but they have closed down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a much older tradition and frankly I'd be surprised if it didn't still exist. Very victorian.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
is it legal to have a viking funeral in the uk because i want that.

i also want jeremy corbyn to fire the flaming arrow.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All of the love for Nonce Trek, Pile of Shite 5 and Weirdscape but no-one mentions the full metal space jacket that was Space: Above and Beyond.

For shame

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Bundy posted:

Have you seen her complete loving non apology today?
https://twitter.com/JayneSeckerSky/status/1118050562203897856

Non apology? Sir, I believe you mean Brave And Dignified!

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1118056424108695552

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

shas posted:

You'd like the writings/drawings of Onfim (13th century kid from Novgorod whose drawings and homework survive to the present), if you haven't seen them already.

This is absolutely wonderful, thank you.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There was a British outfit called Rent a Mourner but they have closed down.

Was this the rent a ghost origin story?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

e: Irish Catholics

Catholics, dammit, not catoholics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

there's a viking funeral scene in Norseman *turns to camera* on Netflix now! *turns back* and corbyn's initial failure to hit the target reminded me of it and I started giggling just remembering it

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Do you just have a lot of funeral contractors over there? Over here a week or two is just how long it takes to get you a slot.

Maybe per population? I know there's a decent amount of funeral contractors who do it as a sort of side business in the back of the pub. (Not literally behind the counter but on the premises.)

We do not normally cremate people here and my aunt is the first person I know of in Ireland who went through the process. The only reason we did that too was because she wouldn't fit in the plot otherwise. Rest of the family want to be cremated now so she is somewhat of a trendsetter.

I doubt there are many professional wailers but if there are, I assume it would be out West. Never heard of anyone doing it here!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

She brandished an apple at them threateningly?
I would love to have a joke response but uh... It's pretty bad.

Somehow he is not only still in business, he's a pillar of the local small business community. :psyduck:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Catholics, dammit, not catoholics.

remember when joey essex said he liked the lib dems because they were the liberal demo-cats and clegg had to explain to him that it was demo-crats

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

there's a viking funeral scene in Norseman *turns to camera* on Netflix now! *turns back* and corbyn's initial failure to hit the target reminded me of it and I started giggling just remembering it

they did the same joke in game of thrones, also norseman isn't even the best show about vikings on netflix.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JFairfax posted:

Nonce Trek, Pile of Shite 5 and Weirdscape

Which one of you bought a 9 year old an SA account?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

they did the same joke in game of thrones, also norseman isn't even the best show about vikings on netflix.

what is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This seems like a recipe for setting more churches on fire tbh.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

Just don't watch it if you don't want to pay for access to Sky Atlantic or Now TV? Wait for the DVDs?

Just pirate it. It's the most pirated show of the year for the last 5 or whatever years afaik.

Buy the DVDs or something later. I think a good chunk of people who pirate it do, so it's fine.

Also I actually just signed up for HBO in Canada but my TV hasn't arrived yet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol Mastercard are back on the hook for overcharging card fees https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/16/mastercard-court-ruling-paves-way-14bn-class-action

if they lose then anyone who was in the UK between 1992 and 2008 is eligible for up to £300

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Which one of you bought a 9 year old an SA account?

Aatrek

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

the last kingdom is way better

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

NowTV is only £8 a month, and you'll get a 14 day free trial of you've never had it before.

They have every prior season currently available on there, and the new season goes up after it's been shown once on Sky. And they do that at US stupid time on Sunday, as I just watch it Monday evening.

You don't even have to commit to, like. A year or anything, just cancel when you're done.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

painted into a coroner posted:

I doubt there are many professional wailers but if there are, I assume it would be out West. Never heard of anyone doing it here!

why would you need a professional wailer when the cousins of every person who's hand you've ever shaken turn up even if you tell them not to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

why would you need a professional wailer when the cousins of every person who's hand you've ever shaken turn up even if you tell them not to.

Ireland is a very strange place.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

No, sadly.
Burial at sea is legal, although there aren't that many places you can get it done on an island.
I'd like for sky burial to be legal, but I live in London and there aren't any mountains here, so not terribly practical.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Ireland is a very strange place.

"Close Friends and Family Only" and "Wake House Private" in a funeral notices dissuades practically no one one from turning up to eat your sandwiches in my experience - and then the ceremony itself is fair game for any gulpin within a 50 miles radius.