Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The dad seems like he kinda sucks but frankly they were retarded for assuming he'd pay in the first place

If you don't have the money for a big wedding, don't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

zakharov posted:

Wedding chat via Prudence

Broke: looking at your resources and figuring out what you can afford.

Woke: assuming dad will foot the bill.

I still don’t understand the “blow a down payment on a house” style weddings. It’s one thing if you’re independently wealthy or have a silver spoon but people who are like “were barely keeping it together, driving ourselves and our loved ones into debt, should we uninvite Uncle Rebus’s +1 for his new girlfriend” need to take a step back and re-evaluate their priorities

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Willfrey posted:

Which loving state has a 30k wedding be below average cost

I would bet New York based on my own experience. Catering is insanely expensive.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eat the rich, but also, learn what "budget" means.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dad sounds completely normal. Yeah, let me pay this arbitrary bill that was handed to me by idiot children who assumed that because I'm rich I'm paying no matter the cost no questions asked.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

I would bet New York based on my own experience. Catering is insanely expensive.

Actually that does make sense. I live in one of those barn-wedding states and cant fathom dropping over 10k for a wedding

Then again I am unmarried and you can hear my cheeks clap while I talk outta my rear end

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Palpek posted:

Dad sounds completely normal. Yeah, let me pay this arbitrary bill that was handed to me by idiot children who assumed that because I'm rich I'm paying no matter the cost no questions asked.

What really happened is he initially told them he’d pay for everything and they came back to him with the swan labyrinth

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

areyoucontagious posted:

I still don’t understand the “blow a down payment on a house” style weddings. It’s one thing if you’re independently wealthy or have a silver spoon but people who are like “were barely keeping it together, driving ourselves and our loved ones into debt, should we uninvite Uncle Rebus’s +1 for his new girlfriend” need to take a step back and re-evaluate their priorities
Yeah, I've witnessed a couple of those. People actually taking bank loans for a wedding that they pay off over 5+ years. It's especially cool when then the marriage lasts only 2.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
30k isn't even that outrageous to be honest. The entire industry is nothing but a ripoff. The lesson though is don't go into debt for a wedding.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for kicking my wife's family out of our basement, making them homeless?

basement_family posted:

I'll try and be as factual as possible.

In the middle of January my wife's family moved into the basement when their former home was condemned and their temporary housing ran out. The family consists of Mom (50s), Dad (50s), three brothers (from 19 to late 20s) and her trans sister (mid-30s) The only source of income for the entire family is dad's military pension. Besides Dad, the only one who has any work history is the eldest. She sold cell phones for an electronics retailer for about a year, however it is now several years since she has worked.

My basement is finished, has a second kitchen, but no bathroom, so we must share the only bathroom in the house which is on the second floor. There are many trips through our family room to go upstairs. Cleanliness has been an issue as well, there have been several times that I've found urine and feces on/around the toilet. Today, when I went to take a shower I found feces all over the shower... on the floor, in the drain, and the wall.

At this point I feel like we are enabling their lifestyle, but also delaying the inevitable. I've asked my wife to have them leave by May 1 (I did this several weeks ago) but now as the day approaches I feel very guilty for returning them to homelessness. That being said, it is very hard to come home some nights (I work full time and have two side gigs) to a grown people who seem to be doing nothing to improve their situation.

AITA?

Edit: In fairness to them, they aren't smearing it. This is a carelessness, not malicious. They aren't bad people, just misguided.

WIBTA if I go to Disneyland without my son because of his actions?

IIIIIIII321 posted:

I'm using an alt to save me some trouble. This summer i'm taking my family to Disneyland. We have been planning for almost a year to go and all 3 of my kids are ecstatic. Everything has honestly been great so far and it looked to be a great vacation, until recently. This is where my 13 year old son James comes in. James has been a problem child as of recent. He's been acting up in school, getting in trouble around the house, and been an overall headache for me. I've always had the mindset that "kids will be kids". Hating school is fine, I get it. And he's getting to that age where he's going to push back a little but he has tested my every nerve.

I've tried to handle it with care and be "the good cop". Try and handle it with love and care, you know? Well, that changed this last week. James was caught shoplifting. The store called us and my wife had to go and deal with it. The owner was nice enough not to get the police involved and we made James pay for what he was going to steal.

That was not enough for me. The minute I got home I sat him down and lectured him. He seemed to not really care and eventually started to argue with me. Eventually I had enough and told him that he's lost his right to go to Disney with us. He immediately started to apologize and begged to go but I told him no. I told him he will instead be going to my parents and working on my dads farm for that time while his sisters have fun at Disney.

James has been a wreak since then. He's been crying to his mom for me to reconsider and claiming he'll stop being bad but I don't buy it. My wife says i'm being to harsh and to let him go but I feel like this is where we need to put our foot down. My dad says I'm doing the right thing and is all for working him while we go to Disney but could I be wrong. I feel like maybe a second opinion would be good here. So, what do you guys think?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you tell a kid they're getting delayed punishment like months out and there's nothing they can do about, of course they're going to act out more

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Dad's saying "each parent should pay for a quarter of the wedding" though, to me, that sounds like he's trying to get one over his ex-wife so I struggle to take daddy's side.

Lower the budget and see how quickly he changes his mind when his fellow millionaire friends get invited to a hobo wedding. Or just cut the dad's friends.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 16, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Renegret posted:

Lower the budget and see how quickly he changes his mind when his fellow millionaire friends get invited to a hobo wedding. Or just cut the dad's friends.
My dad paid 10k for alcohol at my wedding, and I'm certain it was for appearances.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Willfrey posted:

Then again I am unmarried and you can hear my cheeks clap while I talk outta my rear end

PM me :biglips:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

zakharov posted:

Wedding chat via Prudence

Broke: looking at your resources and figuring out what you can afford.

Woke: assuming dad will foot the bill.

Joke: siding with millionaires :colbert:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My mom wanted $3k worth of her friends who I never met to come to the wedding, which put us $3k over budget. You'll never guess where we found that $3k.

I'm not saying the dad should pay for the whole wedding, but the OP hosed up by relying on his initial contribution in the first place. The real power move is to only budget for what you can afford, and if a parent or guest wants something selfish then they gotta pay for it themselves. Worst case, your wedding is a magistrate coming to a restaurant. If that's too embarrassing to your millionaire dad, then gently caress you dad you pay the difference.

OP is hosed though because they're already in over their head financially and they can kiss that $7.5k goodbye if they don't even let him walk his own daughter down the isle.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Joke: siding with millionaires :colbert:

Rich Dad doesn't sound wonderful but the couple not having that conversation as a first step was unwise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The real trick is to wait so long but your father offers you more money because he's afraid now that you'll never get married

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You at 18:
Dad: I'll give you $500 :smug:

You at 35:
Dad: I will fly everyone to Tahiti

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

We can imagine a lot of scenarios where the dad is the rear end in a top hat but one thing that we don't have to imagine that makes those divagations pointless is that the kids didn't ask him about it first, just made the deposit and assumed all is well. poo poo, they've even invited guests before clearing the financial side lmao. Given the tone of the post I guarantee they'd have written "and he promised to foot the bill too!" if it was the case.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

areyoucontagious posted:

What really happened is he initially told them he’d pay for everything and they came back to him with the swan labyrinth

...? Please tell me this is a labyrinth full of angry swans.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
My dad offers me money for each additional grandchild.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

...? Please tell me this is a labyrinth full of angry swans.

Just one, the Minocyg

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

My dad offers me money for each additional grandchild.

My dad still complains about only having one grandchild (He has 9 granddaughters)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The millionaire offering to split everything exactly evenly 4-ways with working people is absolutely an overstuffed colostomy bag of a human being

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

The millionaire offering to split everything exactly evenly 4-ways with working people is absolutely an overstuffed colostomy bag of a human being
I think you overestimate the wealth of your average millionaires.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

My dad still complains about only having one grandchild (He has 9 granddaughters)

:murder:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leon Einstein posted:

"the Fair Thing is equal contributions even though im fully aware that we don't all have equal resources" isn't fair and is a sign of being a regressive poo poo, hth

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

"the Fair Thing is equal contributions even though im fully aware that we don't all have equal resources" isn't fair and is a sign of being a regressive poo poo, hth
Nobody is obligated to pay for the wedding. The bride and groom can pay for their own party. Hth

Do you compare financial statements when splitting the bill with others at a restaurant?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leon Einstein posted:

Nobody is obligated to pay for the wedding. The bride and groom can pay for their own party. Hth

Do you compare financial statements when splitting the bill with others at a restaurant?

i see your point in this post, but i still don't see your point in the last one about "overestimating the wealth of millionaires" tbh

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

AITA for refusing my wife sex after she refused me?

username1770 posted:

Had the day off today, much needed time to stay home and hangout with my wife and 2 year old daughter.

During our daughter's nap my wife started tidying up a bit while I watched some TV. About 20 minutes later I (not so subtlety) hinted to if she wanted to "take a break" from cleaning. She scoffed and said no that she needed to finish cleaning. I was a little disappointed and probably let it show in my facial expressions, but said okay and went back to the couch. She came out 5 minutes later in an almost exasperated tone and said "okay fine we can go have sex then if you really want to"

I felt completely belittled and almost like it would have felt like begging if I said okay. So I declined and and said, "that's okay, you can finish what you're doing." She countered with "well you're just going to be upset at me if we don't so let's just go to the bedroom." I then restated that I didn't want to anymore and it was fine, she could go back to what she was doing, which she then did.

Honestly I feel a little degraded that my wife acted like it was such an inconvenience to have sex with me. We've been married 5 years and our sex life has definitely slowed down over the last 2 since having kids, but this is a first.

So am I the rear end in a top hat here?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leon Einstein posted:

It's less an issue of wealth and more an issue of liquidity (because most nominal millionaires are horrendous at personal finances so they might pull down 250k per year but have no savings and spend 200k in debt service) as illiquid assets usually represent hoarded wealth regardless, even when liened to the hilt.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

i see your point in this post, but i still don't see your point in the last one about "overestimating the wealth of millionaires" tbh
I'm saying that being a millionaire doesn't necessarily mean you have money to throw everywhere, especially if you're retired.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tythas posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat because you communicate like a 10 year old. Your wife isn't any better but that's unrelated to your question.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
So many guys are such babies about sex. Like it's a travesty that they're not getting laid as often when they've got young kids.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I can't, I've still got to make him love me by creating sons which is getting exceedingly more unlikely by the second

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tythas posted:

Give me a nickle for every zero-communication keeping-score marriage post on reddit complete with crab mentality OP. Fun for everybody involved including the kid.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Give me a nickle for every zero-communication keeping-score marriage post on reddit complete with crab mentality OP. Fun for everybody involved including the kid.

Just don't try to go halfsies when your kids are getting married, OK?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Coming off the heels of my lost post

Is it right of me [19M] to think of sex as a necessary part of a long-term relationship with my SO [18F]?

LeonCovacs posted:

This may be a really messed up way of thinking, but I would like to hear what you guys have to say. I think that people have certain things that they want to have in a relationship. One of those things for me is sex. I want to have sex that is enjoyable for both me and my SO. If my SO hypothetically is unable to have sex, is it justified to tell them that the relationship would not work for me? My SO made me feel really bad about me saying this and I feel awful for thinking this way. My SO thinks that a relationship has sex on the side as a bonus, while I think that it is a large part of being comfortable with your SO. I would like to know if my thoughts are justified or not and why.

TL;DR I feel that sex is a requirement for me in a relationship. Is that justified, if so, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tythas posted:

No one is going to have a good time at that point, because he was watching TV and not helping her while she cleaned. He should have started helping, then make a move when the cleaning is finished. Anyone is going to get ticked off if they are doing something necessary for their household and their spouse is laying around not helping, then tells them to stop early cause they wanna fool around.