Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Anyone have experience with the joe rocket survivor one piece suit? Or similar recommendations? A one piece for commuting seems good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

A MIRACLE posted:

Anyone have experience with the joe rocket survivor one piece suit? Or similar recommendations? A one piece for commuting seems good

I have an aerostich. It's ridiculously burly and also very hot. It gets cool if you go fast and have vents open but I wouldn't wear it if you're at all prone to sweating and need to commute in the summer. You can get them custom made but otherwise they're american sized.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You can get a shell one piece over suit from klim now, the Hardanger. It costs proper silly amounts of money though. Why they named a over suit after a Norwegian fjord is beyond me. Over suits are not a thing here at all.

The Hard Anger.

https://www.klim.com/Hardanger-One-Piece-Suit-3737-000

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
For that much why not a 'stich

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's lighter weight and more importantly, has 14 vents so it should be noticeably cooler than a 'stich as long as you're not sitting still.

The Klim fanboys at ADVRider keep saying stuff like it's a more up-to-date design and has "newer materials". Maybe they're referring to the version of Gore-Tex in it? Still looks like a flight suit for a fat bastard to me. Klim's sizing is uh, generous, and they don't offer the Hardanger in numeric sizes, only S/M/L etc. so good luck fine tuning the fit.

In the heat, one piece suits aren't so great because you'll sweat thru anything you're wearing under them, but they are convenient as hell in spring/fall/winter. I've been debating getting a stich for a while but I'll try one of these on first. In the summer I'll stick to the cordura AFR gear.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 9, 2019

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I just picked up an Aerostich on sale at one of their pop up events :shepspends:. I just moved to Seattle and am doing a moto only commute. I had been searching for a used one but hadn’t had much luck.

Having used it for a week it’s great at wet and not-hot commuting. I can see how miserable it would be at slow speeds in high temps.

Very easy to get in/out of so I don’t have to change clothes or wear moto specific stuff that’s isn’t comfortable or “office wear”. I keep normal shoes at work. Suit zips off, gets hung up and normal shoes go on and I’m done. 30 seconds.

I bought a yellow r-3 with grey panels. The suit fits well, and the armor seems good. It’s a bulky package, but super convenient overall. The high viz is nerdy, but having ridden lots with and without high viz gear, it does work- and I’ll take any advantage for the Seattle drivers.

For dual sport and shorter trip stuff I have lighter more modular gear, including some Klim stuff.

I’m in my mid thirties, but have a beard that’s grey-ing and mostly ride my R1200R. I bought a highviz Aerostich.... am I becoming one of those now??? :wal::negative:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

if you own anything in hi viz you are Old

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hi viz is cool now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

Correct.

A MIRACLE posted:

Hi viz is cool now

Wrong.

Also true if you have a non-sports bike with fairings or any form of multi cylinder ADV, if you combine those with high vis your children have their own children.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You guys are describing the old guy across the street from me :unsmith:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m going for sports touring commuter daddy look

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wish I could get a one piece rain suit that's 100% that reflective white poo poo :pcgaming:

e/ oh hey this is actually a thing. No zips though, tch. Might still pick up a pair and 3M vinyl the gently caress out of an old helmet at some point so I can go full rave ghost.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2019

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

Help I'm selling my hi viz stuff but I just bought a Klim jacket and I own a GS, what does that make me

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Stealth dad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Help I'm selling my hi viz stuff but I just bought a Klim jacket and I own a GS, what does that make me

Someone's uncle.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Someone's uncle.

surprisingly accurate

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I very nearly got a GT-Air but at the last moment remembered I have a Fireblade rather than a Deauville and bought an X-Spirit 3 and obligatory dark visor. It's great! Much less buffeting on the autoroute than the XR1100, ventilation is great, looks cool etc

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Does anyone have an opinion on the AFX fx-55?

I'm thinking of picking one up.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have riding jeans they can recommend that don't look like dad jeans, aren't miserably hot, and don't cost $500? I've tried three different pairs now (RevIt Lombard 2 - weird cut, super baggy in the rear end; BullIt SR6 - bulky and hot due to the full length lining; Klim Fifty 2 - dad jeans, knee armor is uncomfortable) and I'm getting tired of paying $7*infinity for countless returns to RevZilla

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I need some riding pants... I still ride in jeans or chinos like a scrub. That’s why I was looking for a 1 piece suit that I can wear over office clothes

The klim looks good and so does the joe rocket, still trying to figure out why there’s a $700 difference

Keep in mind I’m commuting to Burbank all summer so I want something that will vent nicely

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

New helmet, I got the bell with mips. My head shrank since I lost about 25lbs and I’m a medium now. They didn’t have the hi vis one in stock :(

It has an autodimming visor which is kinda neat. I assume I can use it at night...?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bought a new helmet and some gloves today to go with my sick new bike. Got a Shoei RF-SR and some nice Alpine Star gauntlets.

I wanted some cool graphics on the helmet, I've only ever bought matte black, but no options on the RF-SR... Still not worth the huge bump in price for something higher end, I just wanted something no frills and light weight. It fits well (my AGV was a tad large), and the back of the helmet doesn't dip down as far, so jackets with collars don't rub against it, plus it has a pinlock which I've never used before, my old helmet was fogging up like crazy.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Update on ARC Battleborne two piece suit:

It poured rain and was like 34 degrees out and I stayed warm. Somehow though the pouring rain did penetrate through and some of my clothes got wet. Oh well.

I have still only ever used the front chest pocket and the wrist ID pocket, and that’s not for my ID.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Battleborn is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah I need some riding pants... I still ride in jeans or chinos like a scrub. That’s why I was looking for a 1 piece suit that I can wear over office clothes

The klim looks good and so does the joe rocket, still trying to figure out why there’s a $700 difference

Keep in mind I’m commuting to Burbank all summer so I want something that will vent nicely

I used to commute to hollywood and would wear my mesh jacket and joe rocket phoenix 3 mesh pants over whatever I was wearing that day. Pair of normal shoes at the office and I was good to go when I got there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

A MIRACLE posted:

New helmet, I got the bell with mips. My head shrank since I lost about 25lbs and I’m a medium now. They didn’t have the hi vis one in stock :(

It has an autodimming visor which is kinda neat. I assume I can use it at night...?

I have a shoei with a transition lense and it's just fine at night. Takes up to ~20 seconds to fully darken in bright light.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

office workers arguing about what things to buy in order to be cool is like the one common theme throughout all the hobbyist threads on sa

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

office workers arguing about what things to buy in order to be cool is like the one common theme throughout all the hobbyist threads on sa

And yet the answer was in front of them all along.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/dirt-bike-jerseys

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jazzzzz posted:

Anyone have riding jeans they can recommend that don't look like dad jeans, aren't miserably hot, and don't cost $500? I've tried three different pairs now (RevIt Lombard 2 - weird cut, super baggy in the rear end; BullIt SR6 - bulky and hot due to the full length lining; Klim Fifty 2 - dad jeans, knee armor is uncomfortable) and I'm getting tired of paying $7*infinity for countless returns to RevZilla

Check out the scorpion covert pro. Full kevlar lining and cordura exterior. Armor is sold separately, but it comes with a spot for hips and knees. Mesh from the knee down to help with heat.
Reviews seem to vary on fit and placement of the knee armor pockets, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

its all nice on rice posted:

Check out the scorpion covert pro. Full kevlar lining and cordura exterior. Armor is sold separately, but it comes with a spot for hips and knees. Mesh from the knee down to help with heat.
Reviews seem to vary on fit and placement of the knee armor pockets, though.

Can concur. Fit from the knees up is great. Knee armor placement depends on how long your femur is. If yours is short, might not be the best pant. Sizes run long, cuff is a touch narrow, but I can still fit them over my Gaerne adv boots. Comfortable without a base layer down to 45F if you're not going too fast and it's not too humid. Comfortable up to about 80F if you don't stop for too long.

To be clear, they are not fashionable at all. Finish runs a little heavy on the indigo. But they're not dad jeans. They're basically generic to the point of being invisible, except for the fact that knee armor makes them look a little weird and hip armor makes your hips a little wide. I find them super comfortable as a bog standard 30/32 165 lb male.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 16, 2019

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Who makes waterproof gloves that aren’t insulated?

It’s rainy season (it’s England, it’s always rainy season), but given I managed winter in just my Knox Orsas, I really don’t think insulation is needed.

I’d love to buy another Knox product, but they only seem to make bulky waterproof gloves. You’d have thought they’d have something waterproof for spring given they’re stuck on this grim island too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Horse Clocks posted:

It’s rainy season (it’s England, it’s always rainy season), but given I managed winter in just my Knox Orsas, I really don’t think insulation is needed.

I’d love to buy another Knox product, but they only seem to make bulky waterproof gloves. You’d have thought they’d have something waterproof for spring given they’re stuck on this grim island too.

I've got something similar to these and they compress down really small. They're just a lightweight shell with an elastic drawstring.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I have Held Race-Tex (which seem to be discontinued) and they are completely waterproof and uninsulated. The RevIT Dominator is also waterproof and uninsulated.

I dont know about these new Held gloves with two chambers. That doesnt sound comfortable but they make really nice stuff, so maybe it's fine.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've tried the lobster claw overgloves, and imo they suck extremely hard

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Latex unders and a spare pair of gloves in your bag for if the first ones don't dry in time for your trip home.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Gloves-Gore-Tex-Summer/c-381.aspx

I just picked up a set of the Held Satu IIs, GoreTex lining but no additional insulation. Typical (excellent) Held quality, fit the same as my other Held gloves. Not cheap but not stupid expensive either.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm coming up on 3 years for my first round of moto gear. Wanted to a drop a couple little reviews for whatever it's worth. I buy a lot of Rev'it stuff because they have a more slim size range than the American brands and that fits me better. I also live in Portland, OR so I'm really fixated on waterproof abilities. I'm about 5' 10" and 150 lbs.

Rev'it Stealth Hoody:
Absolutely fine for Fall/Winter/Spring. The waterproofing was great when it was new. Now, after 3 years it will fail at highway speeds in moderate to heavy rain. I get seepage down the arms and across the chest. But mostly I ride in the city, so it's fine for my usual trips where I might go 35-40 MPH at most. I wear a lot of insulation under it in the winter. By the time summer rolls around, this jacket is way too hot. The hood serves no function, but the snap that holds it out of the way works well. Looking forward to retiring this one.

Rev'it Factor 3 Pants:
They've moved on to Factor 4 now. These are fine, if a little bulky. I only wear them in the rain or when it's really cold. My main complaints are that I can't get them on without taking off my boots and that the legs are slightly too short. In serious rain the upper pockets let a bit of water through & my crotch gets wet. I bought them because they have a zipper attachment to my jacket.

Dainese New Drake Air Pants:
My summer pants. The sizing is weird for me. The waist is too wide and the legs are too short. I tend to only wear these on longer summer trips or joyrides. For day to day stuff around the city, I just wear jeans. I feel well protected in these and the airflow is nice.

Rev'it Stratos GTX Gloves:
A+. Still perfectly waterproof after 3 years. The insulation isn't super thick, but I also run heated grips and my Versys has handguards to cut the wind. The only part of these that has failed is the rubberized layer on the side of your index finder that is supposed to be used to wipe your shield. Doesn't affect the waterproofness. Really great gloves.

Rev'it Sand 3 Gloves:
My summer gloves. The fit is perfect for me, I will be buying another pair the second these wear out. I'm 2 years in on my current pair and they're going strong. The touchscreen ability is slowly deteriorating. Still works, but it's not perfect anymore.

TCX Street Ace WP Shoes:
I like that I can wear them around and mostly you can't tell that they're moto shoes. They do run a size large and they took a while to break in. The waterproofing works... kinda. In heavy rain water runs up the tongue and onto my socks, which eventually soaks my entire foot. They're fine for little trips in the city, but I don't like them on the highway during a downpour. Looking forward to retiring these too.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Does anyone with handroids have a problem with the sliders binding? I just bought a pair of the new Mk IVs that I'm sending back because they're too small, but one of the other problems I have is the exoskeleton sliders on the fingers don't slide back into the knuckle protector like they should. Instead they seem to be catching on the channels they run into so they are forming little "humps" when I straighten my fingers out. I'm not sure if that's something that's common with these or if I just got unlucky.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

Does anyone with handroids have a problem with the sliders binding? I just bought a pair of the new Mk IVs that I'm sending back because they're too small, but one of the other problems I have is the exoskeleton sliders on the fingers don't slide back into the knuckle protector like they should. Instead they seem to be catching on the channels they run into so they are forming little "humps" when I straighten my fingers out. I'm not sure if that's something that's common with these or if I just got unlucky.

Never had that happen, but I was using mk1, maybe they just need to be the proper size and broken in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Never had that happen, but I was using mk1, maybe they just need to be the proper size and broken in?

Maybe, they might have been stiff or bent up in the packaging. I'll try a size up and see if they work better.