Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Pacific is a very good miniseries too. It has a different vibe than Band of Brothers, and it's also got a handful of unknown actors who are about to break through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hardy is the GI who gets caught in bed with a German lady and later dies.

Simon Peg has a small part while they’re stationed in England. Michael Fassbender is in it somewhere, don’t know where. Jimmy Fallon almost giggles through his scene (although he’s not British). poo poo, looks like James McAvoy was in it too, but where?

got any sevens posted:

Its actually sad how many careers didnt really pan out of BoB actors.

Some of them took a while to click. The actor who played Bull finally got popular with The Walking Dead. Malarkey and Nixon are both on network TV shows. Winters’ career survived that terrible Dreamcatchers movie. Endless Mike from Pete and Pete has done alright. No one became a huge star who can headline a movie except for Hardy, maybe Pegg, and possibly Fassbender though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

The Pacific is a very good miniseries too. It has a different vibe than Band of Brothers, and it's also got a handful of unknown actors who are about to break through.

Oh and the kid from Jurassic Park.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kagemusha is a good three hour war movie.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Apollo 11 was breathtaking and I want to own it in as high a resolution as possible. What are the chances CNN Films gives us a decent physical media release? I haven't even been able to tell which of their previous movies got home distribution.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of world war 2 there's a before-they-were-famous cameo by tom hiddleston in conspiracy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of world war 2 there's a before-they-were-famous cameo by tom hiddleston in conspiracy.

Really, where? I've seen that movie a billion times and will probably know what you're talking about.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hardy is the GI who gets caught in bed with a German lady and later dies.

Simon Peg has a small part while they’re stationed in England. Michael Fassbender is in it somewhere, don’t know where. Jimmy Fallon almost giggles through his scene (although he’s not British). poo poo, looks like James McAvoy was in it too, but where?

Some of them took a while to click. The actor who played Bull finally got popular with The Walking Dead. Malarkey and Nixon are both on network TV shows. Winters’ career survived that terrible Dreamcatchers movie. Endless Mike from Pete and Pete has done alright. No one became a huge star who can headline a movie except for Hardy, maybe Pegg, and possibly Fassbender though.

Fassbender isn’t British either

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really, where? I've seen that movie a billion times and will probably know what you're talking about.

he's the switchboard operator.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

Fassbender isn’t British either

So he really was from that small German mountain town with the weird accents?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's the switchboard operator.

He looks like an absolutely baby in that scene.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

So he really was from that small German mountain town with the weird accents?

He really is, but the funny accent it's because he's also Irish.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Michael Fassbender is in it somewhere, don’t know where. poo poo, looks like James McAvoy was in it too, but where?

Fassbender plays Burt Christenson. You might remember the scene where, during training, they return from a night march and Sobel has them upend their canteens, since he ordered them not to drink during the hike. Christenson's canteen runs dry before anyone else and Sobel makes him redo the march. McAvoy plays James Miller, a replacement. He's the one that gets harassed for wearing a unit citation ribbon on his uniform even though he wasn't in the unit for the action they won it for. He doesn't last long.

Here's a deep cut for people that ended up in BoB. The Final Sacrifice's Christian Malcolm (he played the annoying teen Troy, not the mighty Rowsdower) shows up in a very small role as a MP guarding the concentration camp in the second-to-last episode.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

Tom Hardy was in BoB???

Its actually sad how many careers didnt really pan out of BoB actors.

It’s actually remarkable how many did. If you think about how many actors never succeed, and how many went on from BOB to have viable working careers it’s actually a really high rate. At least I think so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

It’s actually remarkable how many did. If you think about how many actors never succeed, and how many went on from BOB to have viable working careers it’s actually a really high rate. At least I think so.

David Schwimmer hasn't been in anything of note since Band of Brothers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

American Crime Story, dawg.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

David Schwimmer hasn't been in anything of note since Band of Brothers.

Apart from the fact that it’s not true, he hardly needs to. He can just sit back and count his Friends residuals.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

Apart from the fact that it’s not true, he hardly needs to. He can just sit back and count his Friends residuals.

Unless he was stupid with his cash, he doesn't even need that. The cast was making a million bucks per episode for the final season.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Unless he was stupid with his cash, he doesn't even need that. The cast was making a million bucks per episode for the final season.

Yeah, that too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

therattle posted:

Yeah, I keep wondering why Jason Alexander hasn't really done anything big since Seinfeld, and then this occurred to me. Dude is set for life.

That being said, I'm very glad that Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are doing what they do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Timby posted:

Yeah he mentioned in his Marc Maron interview that he's incredibly lucky that his financial success from Friends has made it where he doesn't ever have to work and can go out there and explore his options. Which is why he actually went into directing for a long time I think.

And while I know the OP was joking I think... He was in that FX show about restaurant owners... Feed the Beast as well.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I keep wondering why Jason Alexander hasn't really done anything big since Seinfeld, and then this occurred to me. Dude is set for life.

That being said, I'm very glad that Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are doing what they do.

<--------

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of tough to find work after you've been a certain character for that long. Like everyone from the Big Bang Theory except for Galecki whose career will never die, will probably have a lovely time getting good work going forward.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I was joking about Schwimmer, even if he spent all his money he's probably still making bank from residuals. But I'm really embarrassed I somehow forgot about American Crime Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Ujz_KOHE

I think Jason Alexander had a couple shows after Seinfeld, but they got canceled pretty quick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's kind of tough to find work after you've been a certain character for that long. Like everyone from the Big Bang Theory except for Galecki whose career will never die, will probably have a lovely time getting good work going forward.

The guy who played Sheldon is doing voiceovers for Young Sheldon and was doing well on Broadway before the show started, apparently

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how does booking ahead with amc a list work? is it day of only or can you reserve

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The guy who played Sheldon is doing voiceovers for Young Sheldon and was doing well on Broadway before the show started, apparently

Yeah, Jim Parsons is a pretty talented guy, and he has pretty good comedy chops, too. His SNL episode a few years back was pretty great due to him, specifically.

I wonder how he actually feels about the show (BBT). I mean, it's paying him very well, so there's that, but deep down, I wonder if he thinks it's good. I wonder if any of them think it's good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hate the Big Bang Theory, but others in the house watch it and sometimes I can't help but offer up a sensible chuckle when it's on. I'm sure Parson's is fine with the show and whatever legacy it has. He probably just wants to do other things now.

These Chuck Lorre style shows are safe and predictable, but they make enough money that you generally have good joke writers and talented actors.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read somewhere that Jim Parsons doesn't feel any connection with the character Sheldon but was immediately drawn to the rhythm of his speech. Furthermore, he was able to deliver that rhythm so well in the audition that the casting agents were worried that might be a fluke. I'm not a fan of BBT but, after that anecdote made me reflect on it, Sheldon has some interesting dialogue and delivery.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I hate the Big Bang Theory, but others in the house watch it and sometimes I can't help but offer up a sensible chuckle when it's on. I'm sure Parson's is fine with the show and whatever legacy it has. He probably just wants to do other things now.

These Chuck Lorre style shows are safe and predictable, but they make enough money that you generally have good joke writers and talented actors.

Ha, you know what's weird? I read your post, and it dawned on me; I actually wrote out that he had comedy chops in the mindset that 'yeah, he can do comedy, too, as evidenced by his episode of SNL', totally and completely forgetting that BBT is (supposed to be) a comedy. I posted that unironically, because it just didn't occur to me that his main gig, the primary reason he's famous, is because he's been in a comedy for like 10+ years now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ha, you know what's weird? I read your post, and it dawned on me; I actually wrote out that he had comedy chops in the mindset that 'yeah, he can do comedy, too, as evidenced by his episode of SNL', totally and completely forgetting that BBT is (supposed to be) a comedy. I posted that unironically, because it just didn't occur to me that his main gig, the primary reason he's famous, is because he's been in a comedy for like 10+ years now.

That's not too weird. Doesn't Sheldon play the straight man to all the jokes? He doesn't really 'do' comedy like some of the other actors.

He probably can do pretty good comedy, but it would be out of character to do it on BBT.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Alan Smithee posted:

how does booking ahead with amc a list work? is it day of only or can you reserve

You can book as far ahead as they're selling tickets, and hold up to 3 reservations at a time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the Child's Play reboot, why does Chucky have mind control powers now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do you mean him controlling peoples' minds, or his mind controlling things?

The trailer says the toy was designed to control other smart appliances.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 19, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i am really excited about seeing that for some reason. it just feels like the perfect time technology-wise to reboot i guess if that makes sense

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Parachute posted:

i am really excited about seeing that for some reason. it just feels like the perfect time technology-wise to reboot i guess if that makes sense

It doesn’t.

The technology angle totally kills the shock of the premise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jerry Seinfield's post-Seinfield career is the funniest goddamn thing. Dude was on top of the world, he could've done anything. He could've had another primetime show on any network, he could've done the Bruce Willis thing and gone from comedy to starring in an action movie, he could've run for congress, he could've kept openly dating 15 year olds, whatever, the world was his oyster. What he chose to do was produce, write, and star in Bee Movie.

And after that he just completely gave up and video taped himself in a car talking to his friends and insisted the world accept that as a TV show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Jerry Seinfield's post-Seinfield career is the funniest goddamn thing. Dude was on top of the world, he could've done anything. He could've had another primetime show on any network, he could've done the Bruce Willis thing and gone from comedy to starring in an action movie, he could've run for congress, he could've kept openly dating 15 year olds, whatever, the world was his oyster. What he chose to do was produce, write, and star in Bee Movie.

And after that he just completely gave up and video taped himself in a car talking to his friends and insisted the world accept that as a TV show.

He's a massive cock, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Timby posted:

He's a massive cock, too.

Apparently he doesn't have such a one though, seeing as he's only able to date highschool virgins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm getting back into Godzilla movies again, and I've been looking up different collections of them, but I'm not sure which one would be best. I want the best bang for my buck, but I'm pretty naive at this sort of thing. Is there a recommendation for the best Godzilla collection? Preferably Blu-ray?