Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
You do know kids love the fart part though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Jar Jar steps in poo poo and gets a fart blown in his face by a soft pink feminine camel and somewhere out there is a coprophiliac who has absolutely pounded it out to both scenes

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Growing up watching the OT I never once thought "star wars really needs some farts" even though I was huge into butt, poop, and fart humor.

Maybe I was just a weird kid?

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Cosmik Slop posted:

Jar Jar steps in poo poo and gets a fart blown in his face by a soft pink feminine camel and somewhere out there is a coprophiliac who has absolutely pounded it out to both scenes

His name is George Lucas

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Linux Pirate posted:

Growing up watching the OT I never once thought "star wars really needs some farts" even though I was huge into butt, poop, and fart humor.

Maybe I was just a weird kid?

Star Wars - Directed by James Rolfe

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Star Wars is a flat circle...

Imagine three movies on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the movie nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of movies and takes the place of the first movie. The formerly first movie becomes the second, the second becomes the third and falls off the cliff.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Pictured: a beautiful Indian elephant

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/GabbyG41/status/271453344231477250

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Gabriel no

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hairy Busey posted:

Wait, being a slave trader is a jewish stereotype?

Only among antisemitic crazy people, who like to make conspiracy theories about how The Jews were basically wholly responsible for the Atlantic slave trade and later masterminded the creation of the KKK as a way to hurt innocent white people

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

yeah aint nothin more fun than going to the senate floor to talk about trade regulations and electing a new chancellor

kids love watching an old man in a robe haggle with a flying jewish stereotype, how fun!

Have you ever watched it with kids? They love all the aliens in the Senate, seeing the city, and being annoyed by the dialogue works to put them in the character of Anakin. He's impatient and bored by the adults talking, so are they. And those scenes are briefer than you may remember.

Star Wars movies absolutely were for children. Only Disney thought about appealing to the awful adult fanbase.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 16, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just because watto looks like Dave Atell doesn't mean he's from Brooklyn

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Didn’t Lucas once say something about the original Star Wars to the effect of “This is the movie I think Walt Disney would have made if he were still alive”?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

HAHA what the gently caress!?

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

QuarkJets posted:

Only among antisemitic crazy people, who like to make conspiracy theories about how The Jews were basically wholly responsible for the Atlantic slave trade and later masterminded the creation of the KKK as a way to hurt innocent white people

I thought Jews being slavers was more like a Nation of Islam thing?

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This is me when the new Plinkett review drops

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

star war beta max posted:

Watto wasn't actually real he was just a cgi cartoon.

If you think about it none of us are actually real we are just cgi cartoons in other peoples heads

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Captain Jesus posted:

It was explained in great length in CineD that there are no racial caricatures in TPM. Now if you disagree, I suggest you go to one of the Star Wars threads there to discuss it.

SMG hasn't been fed in a while.

SMG isn’t permabanned yet? Good for him, he’s one of those people that you want to keep around just because you enjoy hating him.

star war beta max posted:

This is me when the new Plinkett review drops

I don’t know if RLM plans to do a plinkett review this time. I wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

smg is the only poster in CD that truly understands goons. the problem is that he decided to use his powers for evil and chaos

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Well excuse Shmi, princess!

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Vim Fuego posted:

Well excuse Shmi, princess!

:aaaaa:

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I never got the argument that Star Wars is for kids. The OT has universal appeal, which to me is different from something that's directly targeted at kids like say, Dreamworks movies or whatever.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

smg is the only poster in CD that truly understands goons. the problem is that he decided to use his powers for evil and chaos

If he's really been doing a schtick this whole time, that's pretty impressive. Too bad it's completely tedious and unfunny

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

If you think about it none of us are actually real we are just cgi cartoons in other peoples heads

Well, maybe you are, but I'm actually a practical effect. A rubber puppet with an arm up my rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Lucas movies are definitely intended to be family films, even Revenge which is quite a bit darker than anything in the new movies. Lucas realized after the original movie that you could make way more money off selling toys than off selling tickets, so there is a strong element of all his movies that are about selling toys to kids.

I don’t agree that the Disney movies are trying to cater to adult fans: if anything they are mocking them through the character of Kylo who is literally an obsessive Star Wars fan who allows his fascination with continuing the events of the original trilogy to ruin his life. And the Disney movies mostly ignore the strong antiestablishment political subtext of the Lucas movies which people ignored in the original trilogy and disparaged as boring in the prequels. But the new movies definitely do suck at selling toys to kids, relatively speaking.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zane posted:

looper, brick, and brothers bloom are all clever and charming small to medium sized films (everyone should go see them!). but they aren't big action blockbuster studio movies which i think is where some of this friction comes from.

Looper owns. I love that movie. Rian Johnson directed what is probably the best episode of Breaking Bad too. Dude's seriously talented, but it's hard to work with Disney and Star Wars and we'll probably never know what really happened there to screw up TLJ... which is honestly still a fine movie with a very weird script and themes. Mark Hamill goofing off on his Jedi planet was fun as heck.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 16, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

I never got the argument that Star Wars is for kids.

The entire franchise has existed eternally to sell toys, video games, and candy specifically marketed to and for the children who see the movies.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Looper owns. I love that movie. Rian Johnson directed what is probably the best episode of Breaking Bad too. Dude's seriously talented, but it's hard to work with Disney and Star Wars and we'll probably never know what really happened there to screw up TLJ... which is honestly still a fine movie with a very weird script and themes. Mark Hamill goofing off on his Jedi planet was fun as heck.

If you have ever read ANY of the biographies of Zen masters, you'll get that Luke was basically perfect in TLJ.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I miss not being so jaded by life that I can't get irrationally happy over stupid poo poo like this anymore.

Good for that dude even if he does look like an idiot.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

If he's really been doing a schtick this whole time, that's pretty impressive. Too bad it's completely tedious and unfunny

It started as a schtick but then, left unchecked by the mods who coddled him and banned anyone who disagreed with him, at some point it consumed him. A cautionary tale to all trolls on the dangers of success. You can never allow yourself to be too comfortable and on the side of authority

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

It was a 6/10 on the "Scott's Tots" scale, but good for him for still enjoying things.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

The entire franchise has existed eternally to sell toys, video games, and candy specifically marketed to and for the children who see the movies.

tbf I think this was an afterthought and ANH wasn't just created just to sell vinyl caped jawas and mail in certificates for action figures.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Puke Piefucker can suck my dick.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Linux Pirate posted:

tbf I think this was an afterthought and ANH wasn't just created just to sell vinyl caped jawas and mail in certificates for action figures.

Didn’t Lucas insist on retaining the toy rights in his contract?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I wanted to hate the dude from the gifs Ive seen of this

but I'm just happy that hes happy

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

also george specifically said it was for children

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

yes and that's why he has 98 million dollars stored in his gullet.

WatermelonGun posted:

also george specifically said it was for children

Not at first, but man, that toy money

quote:

In 1977, Lucas didn’t intend for the film to be made solely for children. He wanted to make a family movie. His target audience was teenagers, but he had a message that he felt was not being told in movies anymore, and he wanted it to be taken seriously.

Here’s George Lucas in an interview with Rolling Stone in 1977. The writer of the article Paul Scanlon is talking about how Lucas had to sell the idea of Star Wars to a film company by asking, “How do you explain a Wookie to a board of directors?” This is his response,

“You can't, and how do you explain a Wookiee to an audience, and how do you get the tone of the film right, so it's not a silly child's film, so it's not playing down to people, but it is still an entertaining movie and doesn't have a lot of violence and sex and hip new stuff? So it still has a vision to it, a sort of wholesome, honest vision about the way you want the world to be. I was also working on themes that I worked with in THX and Graffiti, of accepting responsibility for your actions and that kind of stuff.”

Lucas specifically said that he didn’t want a “silly child’s film” when he released Star Wars in 1977. Later, he fully embraced that he was making films for children. So what changed?

Between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Lucas lost collaborator and producer Gary Kurtz on the Star Wars movies. The changes in tone, and some of the elements that people criticize in Return of the Jedi (including Ewoks, a second Death Star, and a joyous “jub-jub” ending) were exactly the reasons that Kurtz moved on to other projects.

Kurtz talks about how Lucas changed the original story of Return of the Jedi to play better to children, and how that was a direct result of the desire to give the audience a happy ending so that toy sales would surge.

"We had an outline and George changed everything in it, "Kurtz said. "Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason."

So, George Lucas had originally intended to tell a more serious family-oriented morality tale with the Star Wars films, but changed the tone and story of Return of the Jedi (and subsequent films), both because it was a good business decision, and because he became increasingly concerned about the power his films had on the youth of the world.

source

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Those were good changed though because return of the jedi is the second best star war right behind the last jedi and empire strikes back (tied for 1st)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lazyhound posted:

I think it was all merchandising rights for Star Wars. It was one of those instances like when Bill Gates said he wanted to retain the rights to sell his OS to other vendors. Nobody imagined that there was a market in either case that was worth it (ticket sales/hardware were the real money makers at the time).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I. Am. Borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chinatown posted: