Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Clan Fester is a new AI faction in Lustria. Kinda cool that they are included (they are the enemy in the Vermintide games), but I'm surprised they aren't somewhere near the empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Warhammer 1 is exactly like it was when Norsca first released. Look at how much work it took to port Norsca- there’s basically no way they’re gonna backport the ME stuff.

I also highly doubt and DLCs for Warhammer 1 races, at least until some combo pack comes out. CA has always been clear that base Warhammer 2, and its races, are a stand-alone game that they are supporting, and ME is a bonus.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I dont know posted:

Clan Fester is a new AI faction in Lustria. Kinda cool that they are included (they are the enemy in the Vermintide games), but I'm surprised they aren't somewhere near the empire.

This game is supposed to be set before the End Times and Fester used to be a vassal of Pestilens so it makes sense that they would also be invading Lustria

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
But dang, TWW1 had four, five if you count Chaos race DLCs while TWW2 will only have two. I'm surprised, because I thought TWW3 was still a ways out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Disgrace.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's probably not why but I blame Three Kingdoms. drat historical titles taking away from my 6th-grade fantasies! :argh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
High Elves are missing Eltharion. Eltharion, Malus, Throt/Thanquol and Nakai would give them an excuse to have more of those races in the Old World too.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I'm betting Deathmaster Snikch will be a legendary hero you can hire after do some murder quests, super good at fighting lords/heroes and assassinating.

also, my guess is that the Dogs of War/Araby will probably be WH3 Pre-Order DLC like Norsca.

Edit: Question, do the WH1 Dwarves have the workshop and the giant slayers?

Nope. Giant slayers and forge were part of a WH2 update.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Gejnor posted:

Also another bombshell:

welp. tw:wh3 when?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

welp. tw:wh3 when?

Next years fall I'd guess.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m surprised people though TWW3 was so far out. Mid-2020 always seemed like about the latest to me, and that’s only a year out. Throw 2-3 more Lord Packs and some big patches along the way to keep things going for TWW2.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Azran posted:

High Elves are missing Eltharion. Eltharion, Malus, Throt/Thanquol and Nakai would give them an excuse to have more of those races in the Old World too.

Don't know if he's interesting enough but they're missing Prince Imrik of Caledor as well. Used to be a special character back in 6th edition or so IIRC. Though a LL who can actually use their monster mount would be pretty good for the High Elves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If they do packs for Warhams 1 races, those DLC might unlock Mortal Empires and the ability to play those specific factions, in addition to adding Lords to them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be real here they've done a ton of dlc for the first two games and they need something beyond Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dorfs and Daemons of Chaos for Warhammer 3.

I can see Dogs of War being relegated to a mercenary recruitment pool than a true faction. Araby, Cathay, Nippon and the Amazons are a long shot but possible as factions.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 16, 2019

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Be real here they've done a ton of dlc for the first two games and they need something beyond Ogre Kingdoms and Daemons of Chaos for Warhammer 3.

Yeah but Araby does not make sense for Warhammer 3, its coming out now or never. Which means never given Grace's response.

Dogs of War on the other hand could be inserted safely into the next game given their mercenary nature, they may even be a horde faction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Amazons too are a Lustria based faction so if they don't come now they're probably never happening.

DLC for 3 has a few interesting options still though. Dogs of War as a horde, Cathay, Kislev, or maybe they take a page from Norsca and VC and flesh out the Hobgoblin Khanate or Halflings.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really wanted Araby because I feel like it would make that continent way more interesting. A shame, but I could possibly see it in WH3 as a DLC race for the big map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mazz posted:

I really wanted Araby because I feel like it would make that continent way more interesting. A shame, but I could possibly see it in WH3 as a DLC race for the big map.

Lots of things are possible. When WH3 is "through", and they've given DLC to all WH3 factions, I could see them revisiting WH1 and WH2 races to give them more lords, and even adding new factions to a ME style big map that have no place in the main WH3 map.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Amazons were never going to happen and this thread’s fixation on them has been pretty bizarre imho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Amazons were never going to happen and this thread’s fixation on them has been pretty bizarre imho

people want lasguns and bolters I guess

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Amazons are cool and have a really unique flavor thats distinct from any other faction. Also they're one of the few factions thats canonically in Lustria which would help diversify the map from being so Lizard heavy.

Plus they have laser guns

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The code-base split and CA's bad coding practices are the real villains of the series. Imagine if all the changes to races in Game 2 could be seamlessly back-ported into Game 1. Imagine if NPC-only (where lore-friendly) seedings of the new races could be added to the Game 1 map. Imagine if all three games just fit together perfectly, allowing you to pick up exactly the numbered game(s) + DLC you wanted but still experiencing the majority of the other horizontal content.

I mean, I'm one to complain; I've basically ponied up for every DLC so far. I just wish poo poo fit snugly across all three games rather than the mess we got.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its a complex game, that the code is as bendable as it actually is could be considered a miracle on its own. To expect more is folly imo.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Unlikely, sure. However, I still don't think they are that far out there given they did give us Vampire Coast.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Be real here they've done a ton of dlc for the first two games and they need something beyond Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dorfs and Daemons of Chaos for Warhammer 3.

I can see Dogs of War being relegated to a mercenary recruitment pool than a true faction. Araby, Cathay, Nippon and the Amazons are a long shot but possible as factions.

I wonder what the potential race DLCs for game 3 could be. The two obvious ones are Dogs of War/Southern Realms and Kislev, both humans (mostly humans, mostly Tileans in fact, for Dogs of War). Then two other possibilities, both of the steppe nomadic variety in the Kurgan tribes and the Hobgoblins.

Now Hobgoblins will be present in the Chaos Dwarf roster, and I could see the game shipping with a bunch of NPC Hobgolin hordes who use a mish-mash roster of the Chaos Dwarf Hobgoblin units together with some Greenskin units, I could see them expanding on them as a kind of Mongol-style faction later on, but they'd be hard pressed coming up with even 2 Legendary Lords for this one, I can only think of one and that's Hobgobla-Khan who had a Regiment of Renown back in the old Dogs of War army book IIRC. Though they are supposed to have a great Hobgoblin empire of sorts out east bordering Cathay.

As for the Kurgans, there really isn't enough on them in the official material to put something together apart from them making up the majority of the human forces of Chaos in the east and being vaguely Turkic/Scythian, I could see them as NPC factions like the initial Norscan marauder tribes before the DLC who use a stripped down version of the Chaos Warrior roster using mostly only the marauders and beasts, also possibly with Chaos getting a couple of new steppe-themed marauder units, sabre-armed light cav maybe, or even a horse-archer (though marauder horsemen are annoying enough already), if you lean heavily into the Turkic thing you could maybe have a unit of chaos eagles or something as beasts. I don't think it's likely they'll make it in as a full race (though if Tamurkhan isn't a LL for a Nurgle-themed Daemon or Chaos faction then he could make a good LL for the Kurgans), but I do hope and think it's at least kind of likely that they'll serve as sufficient justification to include a steppe nomad reskin/remodel of Chaos's marauder units (as well as adding in a couple of new marauder and beast units as mentioned) and provide for a number of minor marauder factions using said marauder units to populate parts of the steppe (I really hope they don't just put Norscans all over the steppes, that'd be pretty lame).

Then I can't really think of any more. The wildcard of course is if Cathay will be featured in any way. Now it has almost no official stuff, only mentions in various sources (a lot of which actually work as the basis of units, lords and heroes). Though there is the fact that at the moment Game 3 is kind of in need a normal good guy faction to serve as an anchor of sorts. Game 1 and 2 had the Empire and the High Elves, who incidentally also were the most popular races to play in the campaign and therefore were kind of selling points, people like the stranger and weirder factions, but they also really like playing something that's closer to "normal people" defending against those. Cathay could be that for Game 3, and it'd be kind of cool for CA to tackle the first implementation of this nation in any Warhammer media. The research and work they've done for Three Kingdoms could even prove helpful in giving the faction a foundation and laying out its geography and such (just do the same to China as the Old World is to Europe, just kind of twist it and change/substitute some names where appropriate). Another possibility for the "good guy faction" is of course having Kislev ship with the main game and not be a DLC faction, that might work as well. Still the game does need some good guy normal dudes as part of its initial lineup, and as I see it, it's either Cathay or Kislev, and of them Cathay seems to be the better choice (though I love Kislev, I feel like they'd be better as a DLC faction than a main focus of the game).

Gejnor posted:

Yeah but Araby does not make sense for Warhammer 3, its coming out now or never. Which means never given Grace's response.

Warhammer Arabyans are supposed to be expert seafarers and traders who have a large degree of control over the silk and spice trade with the East (of course this exists in the Warhammer world, this should surprise no one). You could still justify putting them in as colonists on the Warhammer 3 map as well as the new ME map. Though honestly I'd consider that rather unlikely at this point.

e: Another thing to note with Game 3 is that, as far as I'm aware, with the exception of Daemons there isn't really even a whole lot of lord packs you could do for the game's likely initial factions (Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs and Daemons) as those factions never really had that many special characters in the tabletop, Chaos Dwarfs due to being discontinued back in 5th edition (though they got a new army list with the FW Tamurkhan book) and Ogre Kingdoms due to being introduced relatively late in the game's life. Now CA are able to make up new characters whole scratch, but honestly I don't really seem them doing this unless it's either A) alongside already established characters (such as Cylostra for the VC) as part of a race pack or B) as part of introducing a faction/race that never had any rules in the tabletop (which would be the case if anything's done with Cathay).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2019

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Kislev would be the obvious standard good guy race and you could have a lot of fun fleshing out their roster, but their big problem is they're right next to one of the existing relatable-good-guy races, ie the Empire. Arguably two with the Dwarfs right next door as well. You could maybe do something with Estalia but they're also in the wrong place on the map.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The only factions we'll get now will be in the Darklands, Mountains of Mourn and Realms of Chaos, maybe possibly Cathay. So Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Daemons of Chaos and then wildcards such as Kislev, Cathay and Legions of Nagash.

Dogs of War may be implemented still, as they can operate anywhere. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if Tilea, Estalia and Border Princes get their southern units as a limited roster - similar to how Norsca originally only had access to the marauder units from Warriors of Chaos. Amazons might show up as Dogs of War units, likewise for Arabyan cavalry (from the Desert Dogs Regiment), but yeah, Araby as a faction with flying carpets and Djinn is 100% a goner now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I believe in Araby FLC

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gejnor posted:

Dogs of War on the other hand could be inserted safely into the next game given their mercenary nature, they may even be a horde faction.

Dogs of War would also make sense alongside Ogres as they would probably sharing some kind of mercenary mechanic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randarkman posted:

Then I can't really think of any more. The wildcard of course is if Cathay will be featured in any way. Now it has almost no official stuff, only mentions in various sources (a lot of which actually work as the basis of units, lords and heroes). Though there is the fact that at the moment Game 3 is kind of in need a normal good guy faction to serve as an anchor of sorts. Game 1 and 2 had the Empire and the High Elves, who incidentally also were the most popular races to play in the campaign and therefore were kind of selling points, people like the stranger and weirder factions, but they also really like playing something that's closer to "normal people" defending against those. Cathay could be that for Game 3, and it'd be kind of cool for CA to tackle the first implementation of this nation in any Warhammer media. The research and work they've done for Three Kingdoms could even prove helpful in giving the faction a foundation and laying out its geography and such (just do the same to China as the Old World is to Europe, just kind of twist it and change/substitute some names where appropriate). Another possibility for the "good guy faction" is of course having Kislev ship with the main game and not be a DLC faction, that might work as well. Still the game does need some good guy normal dudes as part of its initial lineup, and as I see it, it's either Cathay or Kislev, and of them Cathay seems to be the better choice (though I love Kislev, I feel like they'd be better as a DLC faction than a main focus of the game).

I will not buy WH3 for just the Chaos factions plus Ogres. Ogres look interesting enough, but aren't worth buying a full game on their own. Factions don't have to be generic good guys, I liked all 4 Vortex factions (though I can only play Dark Elves for so long), but only having edgy chaos people to play is not my idea of fun. If WH3 doesn't ship with something like Kislev are start, I will not buy it, and will instead wait to see how the Mortal Empires analogue turns out before reassessing the game. A polished ME map might be worth on it's own, especially if they promise to support WH1 races, too. But they really need to include a hook beyond Chaos, and I think CA knows their customer preferences enough to not disappoint me in that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

The only factions we'll get now will be in the Darklands, Mountains of Mourn and Realms of Chaos, maybe possibly Cathay. So Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Daemons of Chaos and then wildcards such as Kislev, Cathay and Legions of Nagash.

Yeah. If I were to guess I'd say this is a pretty good guess for what the map of Game 3 will cover.

The area outlined in red is pretty much the guaranteed part (and however much of the northern part of the Steppes and Chaos Wastes they wish to include), that covers the 3 all-but guaranteed factions of Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms. I consider it very likely that the map will be somewhat twisted in such a way as to include the majority of Kislev and parts of Norsca shown by the blue outline, so as to be able to include Kislev (either as a base game or DLC faction that has a place in the base game and not just in the new ME campaign).

Then *if* they include Cathay the map will then likely expand to cover some portion of the area outlined in green (likely to be at most limited to the area above the purple line), in addition to Cathay that part of the map has human nations based on real world India, Japan and Indochina (likely to not be included or be minors using the Cathayan roster, the expansion of the map to this area already assumes that Cathay makes it in), as well as Beastmen, Lizardmen (I believe there's lizards on the dragon isles, in addition to dragons of course), former High Elf colonies (Total Warhams doesn't really give that much of a poo poo about timeline issues), Tilean and Arabyan colonies (which will mean Empire colonies, and possibly Southern Realms colonies instead once Dogs of War get up and running), and of course Skaven (most notably Clan Eshin in not-Japan called Nippon) and Greenskins (though I believe most Greenskins out east are Hobgoblins). The Eastern Steppes (which would also be on the part of the map almost guaranteed to be in) is also home to Hobgoblin and Kurgan nomads, most notably the great Hobgoblin Khanate.

On that last note, I think it's interesting to note that if Cathay is to make it in, it pretty much has to be as part of the base game and not as a DLC race. Because if you don't include Cathay there is no need to extend the map to include it, and there is no way they'd almost double the size of their map (dependent on how much warping and distance contraction they do) just for the sake of a DLC race which would necessitate adding in all the new terrain, lots of new settlements and minor factions. So yeah, Cathay is either part of the base 4 or not in Game 3 as I see it.

Torrannor posted:

I will not buy WH3 for just the Chaos factions plus Ogres. Ogres look interesting enough, but aren't worth buying a full game on their own. Factions don't have to be generic good guys, I liked all 4 Vortex factions (though I can only play Dark Elves for so long), but only having edgy chaos people to play is not my idea of fun. If WH3 doesn't ship with something like Kislev are start, I will not buy it, and will instead wait to see how the Mortal Empires analogue turns out before reassessing the game. A polished ME map might be worth on it's own, especially if they promise to support WH1 races, too. But they really need to include a hook beyond Chaos, and I think CA knows their customer preferences enough to not disappoint me in that.

Yeah, that's kind of my reasoning as well. Game 3 will have much better appeal and sell better if it includes, in addition to the Ogres, Chorfs and Daemons, either Kislev or Cathay as an anchor of sorts. Kislev to me seems pretty much guaranteed to make it into game 3, either as a DLC or part of the initial lineup. And I guess you will agree with me that if they don't do Cathay, then Kislev should, maybe even has to, be part of the initial lineup.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 16, 2019

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Been discussing this on the discord and i will repeat what i said there here:
Kislev works as a mainline faction because they are close to the proposed Darklands setting, and they were never truly developed in Warhammer 1 so they'll be more than a simple empire reskin.

The fact that they called out Kislev specifically when they were about to announce Norsca says a great deal too. They said something along the lines of "we have a new faction coming, and no its not Kislev!" which means that they know it is a popular faction amongst their customers. This leads me to believe they have had the idea of Kislev as a mainline race for Warhammer 3 since the end of Warhammer 1's dev cycle at the very least.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'd be pretty stoked of they did Nippon and just gave them an army of gundams for the hell of it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I really think it's unlikely we'll get anything east of the Mountains of Mourn. Especially given CA already has a blockbuster title set in China coming out

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Why does WH3 have to consist entirely of new lands? We're already guessing Kislev might still be in, so what's stopping them from having the areas in red and blue (to have space for the new factions like the Chaos Dwarves and Ogres), then also tacking on the Empire down to Araby (allowing Araby and Dogs of War to be added in a WH3 dlc)? I think that's more likely than adding Cathay or Ind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Why does WH3 have to consist entirely of new lands? We're already guessing Kislev might still be in, so what's stopping them from having the areas in red and blue (to have space for the new factions like the Chaos Dwarves and Ogres), then also tacking on the Empire down to Araby (allowing Araby and Dogs of War to be added in a WH3 dlc)? I think that's more likely than adding Cathay or Ind.

This is a good point. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though I do have a weakness for speculating.

e: A decent way to do that would be a map for Game 3 something like this. Which essentially stops at the Grey mountains and includes all of the Empire and much of the World's Edge Mountains. Though there's a possibiltiy that with this the campaign will feel like kind of a repeat of Game 1 with its focus on the Chaos Invasion of the Empire. It would also bring up the issue of the Empire overshadowing a Kislev "anchor" faction, especially as there'd really be no reason to not make the Empire playable for owners of Game 1 (and whatever DLCs we'll hopefully still get for Game 2 related to Middenland and Nuln, though if they do a map for Game 3 like this then it'd seem more likely for those to be part of a game 3 lord pack).

Another possibility we have is the Game 3 campaign map essentially being Game 1's Old World plus the East (Darklands, Steppes and Mountains of Mourn) and essentially being an expanded do-over of Game 1's Old World campaign that also incorporates all the additions from Game 2 that make sense to put on the Old World map, but with all the new playable stuff initially being in the East. That'd actually be cool and would open the possibilites for a proper representation of the Southern Realms/Tilea (I kind of feel like you have to Dogs of War based in Tilea, as all their special characters who aren't just +1 wound captains of Regiments of Renown, are Tilean, and most of them are Tilean rulers, not just mercenary aptains).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 16, 2019

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The problem with Araby, Cathay, and Ind is that there is one way they can do it right and about a million ways it can go racistly wrong.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McGavin posted:

The problem with Araby, Cathay, and Ind is that there is one way they can do it right and about a million ways it can go racistly wrong.

But it would be really strange if they got Cathay "racistly wrong", considering that Three Kingdoms by all indications seems to be a pretty good and respectful depiction of China during that time period. I don't see why CA would have problems with making a good Cathay faction.

The fact that 3K covers the same area is a much better reason why it might not be included.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

McGavin posted:

People keep saying this for some reason despite CA having already made games with the real world equivalents of all these factions. All they have to do is take those existing countries and throw in some monsters, problem solved.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 16, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

McGavin posted:

The Pygmys owned!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

My only issue with Cathay/Araby is making it actually feel like something uniquely Warhammer and not just fantasy China/Middle East