Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is there any reliable non-green mana fixing for limited? I still have no idea what the deck archetypes are gonna be

Looking at colorless cards so far, there's firemind vessel at unc and guildgates* at common

*I guess strictly speaking there's only orzhov guildgate so far but it would be quite the twist to not have the full 10Orzhov guildgate is PW deck only, my mistake

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Elyv posted:

*I guess strictly speaking there's only orzhov guildgate so far but it would be quite the twist to not have the full 10

HOLY poo poo I didn't know the gates were in this.

Hear me out.

You have a set with all 10 guildgates.

You have a large focus on Niv-Mizzet over multiple cards, including him having a master plan.

There is a certain land that would work very well in this context

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Elyv posted:

*I guess strictly speaking there's only orzhov guildgate so far but it would be quite the twist to not have the full 10

P sure no guildgates in this, that was just for the Gideon planeswalker deck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Andrast posted:

It was really hosed up when Nicol Bolas became the american president in 2016

Nicol Bolas, but incredibly out of shape and senile, using his planeswalker powers to watch people complaining about the Jacetice league all day.

Awh poo poo, that's what he's going to do now as Ugin just sits there and wish this family dinner would end for the rest of eternity.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

qwewq posted:

I just looked at the set number on the spoiled card and I think you're right, hopes dashed immediately...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qwewq posted:

Oh good catch, although based on past patterns I would bet there is at least some sort of Terramorphic Expanse.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Curious that they've held back the rare land cycle so long.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

As if Kaya couldn’t get any cooler she is also gay according to the novel.

Ral is also gay... and so is Nissa... and probably Chandra...

Be gay
Do (magic) crime

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mossyfisk posted:

Presumably they're not story-related

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

As someone who's main EDH deck is Meren, this whole set is givin me tha vapahs.

seriously this is a guaranteed 4 for 1 whenever you cast it in EDH.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Why did Nicol Bolas bother to kill all the ghost mafia, anyway? I missed that bit of the story.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah I'm not really sure what's up with Kaya in this whole thing. We know Ral was a double-agent, but Kaya jumped ship basically as soon as the Eternals showed up and now she's in the gatewatch so what is her deal?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Retromancer posted:

As someone who's main EDH deck is Meren, this whole set is givin me tha vapahs.

seriously this is a guaranteed 4 for 1 whenever you cast it in EDH.

For a 6 mana sorcery though that's still kinda weak.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

vegetables posted:

Why did Nicol Bolas bother to kill all the ghost mafia, anyway? I missed that bit of the story.

probably because an unkillable ghost army would have been a problem for him

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

vegetables posted:

It was more a target of opportunity.

Step 1: I'm looking for guilds to infiltrate to weaken the city.
Step 2: I have Planeswalker working for me who's specialty is killing ghosts.
Step 3: One of the guilds is led by a bunch of ghosts.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kurieg posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure what's up with Kaya in this whole thing. We know Ral was a double-agent, but Kaya jumped ship basically as soon as the Eternals showed up and now she's in the gatewatch so what is her deal?

She wants to kill ghosts and people want her to kill some ghosts. Seems like a mutually beneficial arrangement as long as nobody resets Tarkir again so the Abzan are around.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mossyfisk posted:

I just checked the collector number crunch and there won't be one. Manabases are in a good place at the moment right now anyway, imo.

pre:
243 Saheeli’s silverwing (Artifact Creature- Drake) (common)
Lands (0 M, 3 R, 2 U, 0 C)
244 Danger zone (Land) (Rare)
245 Emergence Zone (Land) (uncommon)
247 Interplanar Beacon (Land) (Uncommon)
248 Karn's Bastion (land) (Rare) 
249 mobilized district (Land) (Rare)
250 Plains (Basic Land)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess they are purposefully keeping mana bases narrow to prevent drafts from just all being three-color Super Friends

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

vegetables posted:

Still pretty unknown, but likely for the reasons everyone listed, getting the undead kingpins off the board would likely ease bringing in his own army/conquest.

Though seeing as Kaya readily facilitated this plan, why immediately bring her on board with the Gatewatch?

Kaya: I helped bring about a planar apocolypse, but then had a change of heart once it affected me.
Gatewatch: :getin:

Also, someone earlier was wondering why Niv sent Vraska off to kill Lili. Cause she led the genocidal zombies before her change of heart, and she's not getting off that easily.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

looks like with the 1 set block system they're going to stick with 10 rare duals per year.

akh had allied cycling, and kal had the enemy fast lands, right?

that number crunch leaves room for evolving wild

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The game does not need more dual lands right now.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Why would WAR have rare duals when it's not rotating any of the existing ones out?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ghost lords would be good to deal with zombies, is my guess

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Kaya is pretty much the noble mercenary archetype, she turned on her client in her introductory story when she found out he had been trying to cover up evidence of murder, she offed the obzedat cause they were keeping debtors bound in servitude after they died.

idk about immediately joining the gatewatch, but with their white walker dead and their black walker off doing whatever they needed to fill some holes lol

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Plus from a business perspective, this is not a set that needs rare duals to sell packs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Corbeau posted:

The game does not need more dual lands right now.

:wrong:

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

I’m pretty sure Kaya was sided with Bolas pre-WAR for the same reason Vraska originally was: He came in offering something that’d help her a ton (In Kaya’s case helping out her family) in exchange for wiping out plutocrat ghost debtors, something she does on the regular. Just like Vraska, Kaya also probably didn’t know that Nicky B was the multiverse’s big bad and just took a decent sounding job.

Then after the Ghost Mafia was taken care of she stayed as Orzhov’s guild leader to help the people of Ravnica out of their ghost debt, seeing as how that a lot of Kaya’s motivation. Then we come to the Invasion and she does the smart thing and realizes the big dragon man is actually very bad (unlike Domri) and joins the fight against him

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Supposedly Domri opposed Bolas right up until Illuhuhuhrugh showed up and he went "WOOHOO! END RAZE!" and started killing people.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cu Chulainn posted:

I’m pretty sure Kaya was sided with Bolas pre-WAR for the same reason Vraska originally was: He came in offering something that’d help her a ton (In Kaya’s case helping out her family) in exchange for wiping out plutocrat ghost debtors, something she does on the regular. Just like Vraska, Kaya also probably didn’t know that Nicky B was the multiverse’s big bad and just took a decent sounding job.

Then after the Ghost Mafia was taken care of she stayed as Orzhov’s guild leader to help the people of Ravnica out of their ghost debt, seeing as how that a lot of Kaya’s motivation. Then we come to the Invasion and she does the smart thing and realizes the big dragon man is actually very bad (unlike Domri) and joins the fight against him

Plus I’m sure most of Orzhov is OK with ghost debt. Kaya killed the guild leaders and I imagine the underlings would like the new promotions that just opened because of it, but I don’t think the Orzhov would be OK with giving up ghost debt entirely. Kaya would be probably be assassinated or pushed out eventually if she forced the rest of the Orzhov to give up ghost banking.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Oceanbound posted:

This is the best day!

hell yeah :woop:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mossyfisk posted:

Hear me out now:
GRN and RA both took place in the fall.
Now winter is here and we get snow covered, typed, all upside, technically-don't-violate-the-reserved-list duals.

WAR annihilates records for most sold/opened sets.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I figure Nicol Bolas hides the Ghost Assassin to Assassinate some ghosts and now she’s here to see his plan and has decided it sucks so she’s gonna stand against him, and hey the Gatewatch seem like a solid group to join for someone with a fairly set heroic goal across the multiverse.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I figure Nicol Bolas hides the Ghost Assassin to Assassinate some ghosts and now she’s here to see his plan and has decided it sucks so she’s gonna stand against him, and hey the Gatewatch seem like a solid group to join for someone with a fairly set heroic goal across the multiverse.

maybe she just sees chandra and likes what she sees iykwim

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Step 1: Ghost ghost assassin

Step 2: Ghost dragon

Step 3: Profi....son of a

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kalli posted:

She wants to kill ghosts and people want her to kill some ghosts. Seems like a mutually beneficial arrangement as long as nobody resets Tarkir again so the Abzan are around.

If Kaya ever lands on Tarkir, she’s going to meet waifu-Anafenza and either immediately off her or immediately fall in love and renounce her ghost killing ways.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Reading the story stuff from wizards and watching that video about bo-las, it appears that kaya was recruited to kill the ghosts to destabilize the economy of Ravnica (I am not making this up), as the ghosts and ghost debtors are a significant part of the functioning of the plane.

:suicide:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Drewjitsu posted:

Reading the story stuff from wizards and watching that video about bo-las, it appears that kaya was recruited to kill the ghosts to destabilize the economy of Ravnica (I am not making this up), as the ghosts and ghost debtors are a significant part of the functioning of the plane.

lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"debt slavery is good, kids" -wizards

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Having that be a part of the story is not an endorsement of the act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Drewjitsu posted:

The Orzhov are the best, yes. Look to the sky on hallowed days, and see whose sigil is stamped clearly onto the heavens.

Kurtofan posted:

I imagine overturning America's debt slavery system would economically destabilize it too. :v: