Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean honest racism you can say well that guy is a racist and it informs his views.
It's good to be able to identify our enemies, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know about this attitude. First he's honest about his beliefs, he doesn't hide behind mealymouthed platitudes and "im not racist but" poo poo. Second he is a racist but he puts economics first and doesn't come up with some bullshit argument about how brexit is good for brittain.

I mean honest racism you can say well that guy is a racist and it informs his views.

He’s honest about his beliefs, which are Racist 101 “foreigners get out.” So I am going to stand by my “get rekt you old racist gently caress” attitude.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

HotCanadianChick posted:

The most hilarious (to me) about all these racist chowderheads wanting brexit so that Poles and Slavs will stop emigrating to Britain, is that it will have zero effect on the numbers of immigrants from Commonwealth countries (all of whom are generally considered to be non-aliens for most laws), such as India, Pakistan, South Africa, Botswana, Samoa, Malaysia, Nigeria, Jamaica, etc.

Brexit will have the net effect of altering the balance of immigrants coming to the UK to be less white and more brown. :laugh:

edit:
https://twitter.com/nycantifa/status/1117311427121954816?s=21

I've got no source beyond the podcast i heard it on ("hell of a way to die" for the record) but apparently all sorts of documents for old commonwealth folks were lost or deliberately destroyed by the state, so old, sick people who cant prove they had the right stamp when they moved from nigeria or jamaica or wherever and their kids are being deported. and all but one deportation so far has been poc, except one canadian, i guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just looking for ideas for dinner out and i wander into this poo poo

just normal stuff to ask about if you have brain worms

i wonder what the reviews are like

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

BraveUlysses posted:

just looking for ideas for dinner out and i wander into this poo poo

You can tell when the guy complains about steak seasoning and then orders it medium-done. Not as bad as the mega-chud's well-done with ketchup though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
You can just see how mad he was over the fact that he couldn't stiff them on the tip.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I appreciate his absolute ignorance on how employers pay for healthcare

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Trump supporters? In MY brewery?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Astrochicken posted:

Trump supporters? In MY brewery?

snoqualmie is rural too so obvs its chud country

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1118193312740016128

quote:

Last month, Dennis Bridges, who runs an accounting firm just north of Atlanta, had to break bad news to a client. Bridges specializes in doing taxes for truck drivers around the country, and this tax season he’s had to tell dozens of truckers that after years of being able to count on receiving tax refunds, that they in fact would owe thousands of dollars. This particular client from New York owed $4,000. It could have been worse: about 20 percent of Bridges’ trucking clients have owed more than $5,000.

When Bridges’ firm called the driver to deliver the news, the line first went silent. Then the driver “went into a panic,” Bridges recalls. “He was just asking, ‘Where on earth am I going to get the money to pay this thing?'” For years, he had received an annual refund in the ballpark of $1,500.

trompled again

quote:

Not every trucker is experiencing tax season sticker shock. Buried in the fine print of the 2017 tax law is a provision allowing one group to continue to benefit from the per diem exemption: owner-operators, the slim minority of drivers who own their own trucks, or have a fleet employing other drivers. About 300,000 of the nation’s 3.5 million drivers fall into this category.

“This was the best tax bill I’ve ever seen for owner-operators,” says Rutherford, who says that beyond their continuing access to the per diem exemption, they also reap benefits from the law’s new 20 percent deduction for pass-through businesses. The provision means their profits, instead of being taxed as corporate income, are taxed at a lower personal rate.

because of course

quote:

In the meantime, for some drivers who once supported Trump, the tax changes are complicating their view of his presidency. “We’ve had them say ‘I thought Trump was giving us a tax cut. And where the heck is it?'” says Bridges. A few have even pointed to the President’s Twitter feed, where he’s bragged about the tax law. “A couple people mentioned his tweets saying that this is part of making America great again, that this is to help Americans. Then they’re saying: ‘But he’s not helping me a drat bit.'”

truck drivers more like cuck drivers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Not every trucker is experiencing tax season sticker shock. Buried in the fine print of the 2017 tax law is a provision allowing one group to continue to benefit from the per diem exemption: owner-operators, the slim minority of drivers who own their own trucks, or have a fleet employing other drivers. About 300,000 of the nation’s 3.5 million drivers fall into this category.

“This was the best tax bill I’ve ever seen for owner-operators,” says Rutherford, who says that beyond their continuing access to the per diem exemption, they also reap benefits from the law’s new 20 percent deduction for pass-through businesses. The provision means their profits, instead of being taxed as corporate income, are taxed at a lower personal rate.

landlords for trucks, guillotine

fuckers should be taxed to near destitution for the damage trucks do to the roads

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol the rich get richer at the expense of everybody who makes them their money

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

They'll have to cut back a little on MAGA hats and Trump merchandise for their trucks, I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Truck driving has been so hyper-exploitative for so long that I can't understand how the industry keeps going. And they've had a really good grift going, convincing workers that they were getting one over on Big Government by helping their boss gently caress them over on unpaid overtime and unsafe working conditions. And it's not like the truckers themselves don't recognize the danger and feel the pain. It's baffling.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Also remember ‘owner-operator’ has the highest failure rate out of any business one would open

Truck driving wasn’t for everyone. it was dirty, gruff and basically required stimulant use. otoh, it had little supervision. Have your delivery there on time, avoid cops and your set

Now, one of the least restrictive jobs has became one of the most. GPS follows carriers in real time and also monitors speed and other things. Required breaks are a thing, and drug tests are way more frequent

The changes made are,without question, much better for public safety on the highway. But how they find enough truck drivers now is a mystery to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They don't and there is a massive shortage because the pay is so bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, wages are obviously going to rise, then, since the market is self-regulating.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Until relatively recently I worked for a transportation/warehousing company, and that article has me wondering how well its managing the tax fallout (probably not well). The industry is notoriously difficult to recruit for, has terrible demographic trends, and retention is basically nonexistent. Annual turnover rate for company CDL drivers was typically in the 80-100% range and that was considered *good* by industry standards.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vernii posted:

Until relatively recently I worked for a transportation/warehousing company, and that article has me wondering how well its managing the tax fallout (probably not well). The industry is notoriously difficult to recruit for, has terrible demographic trends, and retention is basically nonexistent. Annual turnover rate for company CDL drivers was typically in the 80-100% range and that was considered *good* by industry standards.

We're gonna see programs where prisoners get to drive a big rig around to shave off years of their 25 year sentence for possession of 5 grams of weed

The industry will probably abandon all safety measures before it agrees to pay better, and under pretty much anybody but Bernie nobody's gonna hold them to any standard much longer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can you imagine the hell of ai trucks

I doubt we will get them now but for awhile I was very worried.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Vernii posted:

What's a bad retention rate? Is it possible to go over 100%, like if you turn over your entire staff twice in a year?

euphronius posted:

The only good thing about America's traffic system is that we probably wouldn't tolerate 20-ton trucks constantly going out of control and killing dozens of motorists. Motorists pay taxes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jose posted:

They don't and there is a massive shortage because the pay is so bad

it is still very much a way out of poverty for a lot of rural folks. swift will train you (but you have to pay them back lol) and they pay you around 41k as a rookie driver. the money goes up pretty quickly if you stick around, but the companies all suck rear end as does the work

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had clients that got daily routes and didn’t mind them much. this was rural tho and probably less stressful.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Daily routes and local driving is still a good gig. Unfortunately you have to do your time doing long haul, unless you have an ‘in’ at the company that needs you to haul gravel around town from 9-5.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

euphronius posted:

its called maximum overdrive

"hey! this image classifier just tagged a picture of me as 'rear end in a top hat'!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Every trucker I've ever met has been a real dirtbag, so I say bring on robot trucks

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Every trucker I've ever met has been a real dirtbag, so I say bring on robot trucks

born in a factory, raised on a mainframe

the human notion of "craving" has no meaning to me

Serf
May 5, 2011

my dad was a trucker for most of his life, working for my grandpa. he loved it, but it is a rough loving job

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Trucking bosses own because they bitch and moan about how they cant find anyone but disappear into a fine mist when you ask them what they pay their workers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Just loving the irony of all these truck drivers getting MAGA hosed while listening to a steady stream of Hannity and Limbaugh 16 hours a day telling them how loving great everything is.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

born in a factory, raised on a mainframe

the human notion of "craving" has no meaning to me

lol

also, my granddad was a diesel mechanic for a garage that only worked on mack trucks. i had an uncle who drove an area route and liked it. my wife says if everything falls apart professionally, she'll get a cdl and drive. here is to hoping the automationapocolypse holds off til I'm dead

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Just loving the irony of all these truck drivers getting MAGA hosed while listening to a steady stream of Hannity and Limbaugh 16 hours a day telling them how loving great everything is.
You'd think that listening to all those Deathlands books on tape would radicalize people against neo-feudalism

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What's a bad retention rate? Is it possible to go over 100%, like if you turn over your entire staff twice in a year?

Yes. Some companies run at approximately 200% (or higher). This does not necessarily mean that the entire staff quit (a lot of companies have a small amount of careerists who stayed on board for one reason or another) but the vast bulk of their positions are needing to filled multiple times a year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Business Gorillas posted:

Trucking bosses own because they bitch and moan about how they cant find anyone but disappear into a fine mist when you ask them what they pay their workers

like every boss

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vernii posted:

Yes. Some companies run at approximately 200% (or higher). This does not necessarily mean that the entire staff quit (a lot of companies have a small amount of careerists who stayed on board for one reason or another) but the vast bulk of their positions are needing to filled multiple times a year.
Fast food is famous for having 300%-400% yearly turnover. lovely retail, too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Duscat posted:

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1118193312740016128

trompled again

because of course

truck drivers more like cuck drivers

ahahahaha my parents are truck drivers, I hope they get a nice fat tax bill, they deserve it for being such fuckin trumpanzees

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

FMguru posted:

Fast food is famous for having 300%-400% yearly turnover. lovely retail, too.

Yep. Difference is the nation's economy doesn't rely on fast food and those jobs are easier to automate.

Trucking is not, and the industry demographics are terrible. It's very much an aging workforce that not enough young people want to replace (and I don't blame them at all, among other issues, CDL driving is an express ticket to heart problems and diabetes).

It certainly doesn't help that the industry is pretty hostile to women so that also hampers recruiting and retention. Not too many young women are interested in a career where they can look forward to tons of sexual harassment by old dudes.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
loving over truckers make perfect sense for the GOP: Sikhs are the new truckers of America. No reason for the right to support an industry their base has abandoned because of the lovely treatment from greedy red-blooded 'murican bosses.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

ahahahaha my parents are truck drivers, I hope they get a nice fat tax bill, they deserve it for being such fuckin trumpanzees

That's not nice

of your parents to be Trump supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

Also remember ‘owner-operator’ has the highest failure rate out of any business one would open

Truck driving wasn’t for everyone. it was dirty, gruff and basically required stimulant use. otoh, it had little supervision. Have your delivery there on time, avoid cops and your set

Now, one of the least restrictive jobs has became one of the most. GPS follows carriers in real time and also monitors speed and other things. Required breaks are a thing, and drug tests are way more frequent

The changes made are,without question, much better for public safety on the highway. But how they find enough truck drivers now is a mystery to me.

There’s a trucker born every minute...