Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like Deadshot, Harley Quinn's boyfriend is a celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Y’all have a very weird concept of nature.

Earth
Fire
Wind
Water
Heart

Clown

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like Deadshot, Harley Quinn's boyfriend is a celebrity.

I can't believe they cut the scene of Deadshot and Slipknot making out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's amazing how there weren't any civilian deaths during the big 3rd act fight in Iron Man 2. A lot of the humor is this one is worse than I remember. Everything with Sam Rockwell was really good though.

Also, I just realized if you didn't stay through the end credits of Iron Man 1, you wouldn't have any idea who Sam Jackson is. He just appears out of nowhere after the Stark/Rhodey fight. Lol.

[edit] The Stark/Rhodey vs Drones fight looks so goddamn beautiful. Both suits look way, way better than they have ever looked post Phase 1.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 16, 2019

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

josh04 posted:

He's cheaper and crasser than Ledger's Joker, there's no sense of a purpose behind him beyond materialism (in the way Ledger wants to prove some point about human nature), but he's much more successful and he doesn't have to work nearly as hard for it.

Harley and Joker in Suicide Squad are just Yo-Landi and Ninja from Die Antwoord. But without as coherent a sense of class antagonism.

The super trashy Zef aesthetic is definitely intentional, just stripped of its context.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

It's amazing how there weren't any civilian deaths during the big 3rd act fight in Iron Man 2. A lot of the humor is this one is worse than I remember. Everything with Sam Rockwell was really good though.

Also, I just realized if you didn't stay through the end credits of Iron Man 1, you wouldn't have any idea who Sam Jackson is. He just appears out of nowhere after the Stark/Rhodey fight. Lol.

[edit] The Stark/Rhodey vs Drones fight looks so goddamn beautiful. Both suits look way, way better than they have ever looked post Phase 1.

That was probably the first really noticable contrived 'massive action scene with no civilian casualties' in the MCU. Iron Man dashes under a bridge, across a carpark, they fly behind him, trying to shoot him but just blowing up cars, and somehow no one is hurt. No one was parking, or getting things out of their car. In a massively attended world's fair, there's plenty of conspicuously empty space for robot fights.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

That was probably the first really noticable contrived 'massive action scene with no civilian casualties' in the MCU. Iron Man dashes under a bridge, across a carpark, they fly behind him, trying to shoot him but just blowing up cars, and somehow no one is hurt. No one was parking, or getting things out of their car. In a massively attended world's fair, there's plenty of conspicuously empty space for robot fights.

That's actually one of the few times it makes sense: the robots are only programmed to kill Tony Stark, so Stark is endangering thousands of people purely to save himself.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

blowing up cars

Snowman_McK posted:

no one is hurt.

:crossarms: Cars are people too, my friend.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That's actually one of the few times it makes sense: the robots are only programmed to kill Tony Stark, so Stark is endangering thousands of people purely to save himself.

It makes perfect sense if you read Stark as a monster, which is, of course, the correct way to read it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

pospysyl posted:

:crossarms: Cars are people too, my friend.

Sure, people died in Sokovia, but I’ll never forget my Audi Q7 Prestige trim in Galaxy Blue Metallic. My heart was also declared a total loss on that awful day.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watching Thor 1 now. Excited for those dutch angles. The shot during the coronation scene just as the score fades out looks so good.

[Edit] Feels like there was a mandate from the studio to include more humor. It's almost kind of jarring how much more "forced" humor there is in Iron Man 2 and Thor compared to Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk. I don't remember there being much humor in Captain America though. But it's been a while since I've seen it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 17, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

teagone posted:

The Stark/Rhodey vs Drones fight looks so goddamn beautiful. Both suits look way, way better than they have ever looked post Phase 1.

That's because they brought in Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) to coordinate the good fight scene. He used a lot of his old tricks, like using oil to stand in for gratuitous blood, and those tricks work just as well in a live action move as they do in animation. If only later MCU movies cared enough to bring in such skill for the action scenes, instead of using the B-team.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The action scenes in IM2 are really weird in that they're really well choreographed and staged, but they're also like, really short. The lead-up/suit-up of the briefcase suit almost feels longer than the fight that follows it. Which to a certain extent makes sense as Whiplash is just in that harness thing, but it kind of sets a standard that the rest of the movie follows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah I remember reading Genndy was brought on board during production. There are some seriously gorgeous shots during the drone fight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle Wemus posted:

The Aqua Teen movie opening night was a once in a lifetime experience

Our theatre's assistant manager managed to strike a deal with our sister-location who got the print for their run:
'Tech' it on our screen and we would cover the costs of pizza + ice cream + any other non alcoholic partystuffs.

So about 40 misc indie theatre nerds watched it together the day before it was released. I think I enjoyed the crowd more than the film, tbh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

golden bubble posted:

That's because they brought in Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) to coordinate the good fight scene. He used a lot of his old tricks, like using oil to stand in for gratuitous blood, and those tricks work just as well in a live action move as they do in animation. If only later MCU movies cared enough to bring in such skill for the action scenes, instead of using the B-team.

Huh. Did not know this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finished Thor. Overall it was ehh. I remember the "I need a horse!" joke made me laugh in the theater. Still made me laugh. Natalie Portman was so bad in this movie; zero chemistry with Hemsworth. "Son of Coul" was good, but overall the 3rd act was pretty generic. Still loved plenty of shots in Asgard tough.

Firing up The First Avenger now. No, not Captain Marvel :haw:

[edit] I'm also skipping all stingers to see how much of an impact they really have in the movies. Stinger from Iron Man 1 already kind of flubbed in Iron Man 2 if you didn't watch it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 17, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I forgot Tommy Lee Jones was in Captain America lol. Awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

[edit] I'm also skipping all stingers to see how much of an impact they really have in the movies. Stinger from Iron Man 1 already kind of flubbed in Iron Man 2 if you didn't watch it.

Incredible Hulk's stinger is Stark approaching Ross in a bar and saying he's putting a team together. Thor's is Fury asking Selvig to study the Tesseract, revealing in the process that Loki is in control of him. Cap's is Fury approaching him and saying that he has a mission for him, which is just a scene from The Avengers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The chase scene after Steve gets jacked is good. Cap was also perfectly cast. Chris Evans :allears:

Timby posted:

Incredible Hulk's stinger is Stark approaching Ross in a bar and saying he's putting a team together. Thor's is Fury asking Selvig to study the Tesseract, revealing in the process that Loki is in control of him. Cap's is Fury approaching him and saying that he has a mission for him, which is just a scene from The Avengers.

Oh I remember them all. I'm just skipping them to see if they ever come into play in the movie after where something might not make sense if you hadn't seen the stinger.

[edit] Cap propaganda sequence is also good.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 17, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

Oh I remember them all. I'm just skipping them to see if they ever come into play in the movie after where something might not make sense if you hadn't seen the stinger.

Only one that comes to mind is Bucky turning into a popsicle in Wakanda in Civil War's stinger followed by him being unfrozen in Black Panther's, since they really don't address that in Infinity War.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

golden bubble posted:

This is doing the impossible and making me want to rewatch a marvel movie

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Y’all have a very weird concept of nature.

"Force of nature" is used to describe any kind of godlike figure whether their portfolio is "natural" or not and the Leto Joker is definitely a trickster god. Jokewin Phoenix joker isn't that though, he's a regular guy like you and me except he's willing to say a certain word we never will

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

teagone posted:

The chase scene after Steve gets jacked is good. Cap was also perfectly cast. Chris Evans :allears:

[edit] Cap propaganda sequence is also good.

The Propaganda sequence really pays off well when he realizes that what he's been doing for the senator isn't really enough. It's really sudden cold shower just when he's getting to feel good about himself.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Daddy Thanos posted:

"Force of nature" is used to describe any kind of godlike figure whether their portfolio is "natural" or not and the Leto Joker is definitely a trickster god. Jokewin Phoenix joker isn't that though, he's a regular guy like you and me except he's willing to say a certain word we never will

I can't believe even he would say that about Mace Windu, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Daddy Thanos posted:

It's true, none of us dared to call Thomas Wayne a "fascist"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

The Propaganda sequence really pays off well when he realizes that what he's been doing for the senator isn't really enough. It's really sudden cold shower just when he's getting to feel good about himself.

:agreed:

Finishing up the movie now. I think it's the best film of Phase 1 for me. The WW2 action scene montage might have been my favorite part; felt like one of those propaganda action reels the film was also showcasing. Very meta. Onward to Avengers, but I'm not really looking forward to it. It's been a while since I watched it straight through.

[edit] Man, watching all the Phase 1 films one after the other really shows just how cheap Avengers looks in comparison. Like, drat. Whyy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 17, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

:agreed:

Finishing up the movie now. I think it's the best film of Phase 1 for me. The WW2 action scene montage might have been my favorite part; felt like one of those propaganda action reels the film was also showcasing. Very meta. Onward to Avengers, but I'm not really looking forward to it. It's been a while since I watched it straight through.

[edit] Man, watching all the Phase 1 films one after the other really shows just how cheap Avengers looks in comparison. Like, drat. Whyy.

Avengers made a shitload of money, while the first Cap movie made gently caress all, so they learned that it was about marketing, not quality.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It was also directed by Whedon which, no matter what you think of him as a writer, is definitely a step down from Leterrier and Branagh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Avengers made a shitload of money, while the first Cap movie made gently caress all, so they learned that it was about marketing, not quality.

Makes sense. Looking at the BO numbers for all Phase 1 films before Avengers is fascinating. And maaan, seeing Ruffalo instead of Norton sucks with how much I actually liked The Incredible Hulk now :( That movie was basically retconned into being nonexistent in the MCU it feels like. Save for General Ross I guess.

[edit] Lol the Cap costume. Whedon pls.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 17, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Makes sense. Looking at the BO numbers for all Phase 1 films before Avengers is fascinating. And maaan, seeing Ruffalo instead of Norton sucks with how much I actually liked The Incredible Hulk now :( That movie was basically retconned into being nonexistent in the MCU it feels like. Save for General Ross I guess.

[edit] Lol the Cap costume. Whedon pls.

yeah, it makes WB flinching on their own extended universe all the more mystifying and weird. It's not like the MCU was uniformally doing gangbusters right out the gate. For the longest time, the Iron Man movies were their only real blockbusters. Every non Iron Man movie in Phase 1 made less than loving Ant Man.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My personal opinion is that Cap was the one of that slate that came closest to aping what made Iron Man enjoyable.

Thor had a hard sell where Asgard was Shakespearean and there was a layer or fish out of water outcast hero and it was all pretty and just a bit too high concept for the market to just enjoy.

Incredible Hulk was an ok enough film but didn't really do much more than the Ang Lee version aside from some Hulk Smash finale (and LOL if yhe lead would tie himself to the MCU franchising).

I figure half the first week's worth of sales for Avengers was "ok, can this actually work". Because there was a good chance it wouldnt.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If only Branagh was able to make Thor like Henry V. That would have been incredible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A lot of the dialogue in Avengers is pretty bad. It has it's moments, like Stark on the bridge for the first time, but drat the dialogue sucks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

teagone posted:

A lot of the dialogue in Avengers is pretty bad. It has it's moments, like Stark on the bridge for the first time, but drat the dialogue sucks.

It super sucks because it established a unified style of quippiness that the MCU has largely remained saddled with ever since. The phase 1 movies all had their cute, snappy moments, but Whedon slammed that poo poo into full gear and snapped it off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fart City posted:

It super sucks because it established a unified style of quippiness that the MCU has largely remained saddled with ever since. The phase 1 movies all had their cute, snappy moments, but Whedon slammed that poo poo into full gear and snapped it off.

That's a good way of describing what happened post-Avengers. I'm bored and am struggling to finish this movie. It doesn't hold up at all imo. The novelty was fun and cool when it first came out, but oof. No bueno.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I've also been watching all the DCU movies but didn't post about it because I've been doing them in a loop at all waking hours for the past two weeks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Avengers theme has grown on me. It's pretty good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not Silvestri’s best, but it’s still pretty goddamn good.

He’s my favorite composer of all time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not Silvestri’s best, but it’s still pretty goddamn good.

He’s my favorite composer of all time though.

Doubling down on the theme for Infinity War and in the marketing definitely made it stand out a lot more for me. Now that I know it, hearing it in Whedon's Avengers is quaint. Shame about the movie though, but the theme is good.

Phase 2 tomorrow night :cool: