Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Get the gently caress out of florida man

It would take thousands of dollars to get licensed elsewhere. I'm stuck in Florida unless I find something federal.

e: I need to marry someone in the military in a state that allows spousal admission :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It would take thousands of dollars to get licensed elsewhere. I'm stuck in Florida unless I find something federal.

e: I need to marry someone in the military in a state that allows spousal admission :lol:

Hey there big boy. :wink:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just drive up and down unaccompanied housing in an unmarked white van offering free candy, BAH and Xboxes, I'm sure you could reel in something.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey there big boy. :wink:

Yes, YEs, YEEESSS

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just drive up and down unaccompanied housing in an unmarked white van offering free candy, BAH and Xboxes, I'm sure you could reel in something.

a speeding ticket from the MAs

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
man people were calling BAAR "BAARcation" and they weren't kidding

kind of wish i didnt live in v beach though, hate driving 45 minutes in the morning just to get on base

maffew buildings posted:

I'VE BEEN HERE 5 loving DAYS

lmao

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Going through DIVO training has so far been an interesting mix of death by powerpoint, interesting sea stories and a lot of lessons that end with the LT saying either "well, in the end, its all really going to depend on X,Y and Z " or "you'll have to work with your Chief and/or Department Head on that".

I also like how they did a couple of hours of walking through financial planning with us and explained that we could work with our enlisted folks to make sure they come up with a reasonable spending budget for when they get out of the barracks because we're apparently good source of explaining financial responsibility to people. Meanwhile, I'm staring a few bottles of bourbon and a bunch of Magic the Gathering cards thinking "Daddy needs some new planeswalkers".

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Nobody in the military should provide advice on anything to anyonr except telling people not to join

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Is your car loan interest rate in the single digits? Congratulations, you're a better source of financial advice than half the people that work at your command.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don’t marry someone in the service.

Or a stripper.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t marry someone

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Or a stripper.

So I'm gonna go ahead and do those things, peace chief.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Or a stripper.

What about a stripper in the service? Do those things cancel out like double negatives?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

What about a stripper in the service? Do those things cancel out like double negatives?

Stupid boot story.

Had a 18yr old lady who admitted to being stripper in Texas shortly before entering the service. Not to be outdone our pre-op admitted to being whore in Corpus Christi.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Madurai posted:

They better have a NAVMED 1610/1 filled out. :chiefsay:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cerekk posted:

Is your car loan interest rate in the single digits? Congratulations, you're a better source of financial advice than half the people that work at your command.

Technically it was 16% from Navy Fed, but since I had literally no credit history before hand and I was just taking out the loan to cover the remainder of the down payment (I was buying a used Honda for 4 grand) I had it paid in like 2 months.

Meanwhile another OCS guy rolled into Pcola with a brand new Charger that he tricked out. Sucked for him when he got attrited.

I don't need love, I have my cat and my homemade wine! :cry:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Going through DIVO training has so far been an interesting mix of death by powerpoint, interesting sea stories and a lot of lessons that end with the LT saying either "well, in the end, its all really going to depend on X,Y and Z " or "you'll have to work with your Chief and/or Department Head on that".

I also like how they did a couple of hours of walking through financial planning with us and explained that we could work with our enlisted folks to make sure they come up with a reasonable spending budget for when they get out of the barracks because we're apparently good source of explaining financial responsibility to people. Meanwhile, I'm staring a few bottles of bourbon and a bunch of Magic the Gathering cards thinking "Daddy needs some new planeswalkers".

The only interesting thing about DIVOLC was the Prisoner's Dilemma analogue they had us do at the end. Doesn't teach you anything about ~leading sailors~ but it's a great introduction to staff dynamics. My group managed to find one of the worst possible solutions and it's been like that ever since.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Staff life as an iterated prisoners dilemma is just a fantastic observation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/local/2019/04/18/sailor-injured-gunshot-aircraft-carrier/3513972002/

Well poo poo I didn’t even notice and I was right next to the ship all day.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao mr. bad guy givin out sidearm disassembly lessons

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm a drydock casualty, everyone's favorite.

gently caress the shipyard gently caress the navy and gently caress you if you're still in

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
lol

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

gently caress everything about that shipyard, except for the lunch place next to the carrier pier, which is consistently reliable and frequently a much needed pick-me-up.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Now that I'm looking for it, I was expecting to see it from a coastwide bid nontrad facility first tbh, but carrier crew size probably skews the numbers.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Say what you will about my situational awareness and decision-making, I ain't no desk-poppin' bitch.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Say what you will about my situational awareness and decision-making, I ain't no desk-poppin' bitch.

My assumption is that this occurred while he was treating his weapon as if it were loaded and pointed it at something he intended to shoot.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
You can bet my weapon was on safe the entire time I was taking it apart and putting it back together.

edit: while one watch

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 20, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

gently caress everything about that shipyard, except for the lunch place next to the carrier pier, which is consistently reliable and frequently a much needed pick-me-up.

They charge like 3.75 for a monster.

gently caress.

That.

The bbq trailer hasn’t been seen for a week and the burrito trailer by the Pier side MWR gives you your food cold. The third floor DLA cafeteria runs out of salad toppings by 11am and the company providing the breakfast food uses wood shavings for potatoes and styrofoam for scrambled eggs. The All American grill thinks hockey pucks are acceptable replacements for burger patties.

Wendy’s and Subway are actually ok thank god. Or just leave base and eat at Susie’s.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress.

That.

The bbq trailer hasn’t been seen for a week and the burrito trailer by the Pier side MWR gives you your food cold. The third floor DLA cafeteria runs out of salad toppings by 11am and the company providing the breakfast food uses wood shavings for potatoes and styrofoam for scrambled eggs. The All American grill thinks hockey pucks are acceptable replacements for burger patties.

Wendy’s and Subway are actually ok thank god. Or just leave base and eat at Susie’s.

Is MWR sponsoring a bus for this?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

When I was in NNSY there was a little dive on 50th street outside the shipyard gate called Colony Restaurant. It was an absolute shithole but they made a mean breakfast sandwich.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress.

That.

It was 10 years ago (Jesus Christ) but this was 100% not my experience. Also there's a Wendys on Kitsap now?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It was 10 years ago (Jesus Christ) but this was 100% not my experience. Also there's a Wendys on Kitsap now?

Yeah stuff has changed. The Wendy’s is right inside the main gate across from police station and is crushed at lunch time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
happy Easter, gently caress duty

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah stuff has changed. The Wendy’s is right inside the main gate across from police station and is crushed at lunch time.

Sheesh, probably like the McDonalds in San Diego. Also I was talking about the carrier dry-dock pier inside PSNS, not the main carrier pier. I think it was called The Firehouse.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Lunch at PSNS is best had at El Balcon or The Curry. Sucks to be down at DD6, or have supervision that cares about what time you get back. There’s also the breakfast burrito dude that loiters around the Burwell tunnel/parking lot and sells homemade hot sauce.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A SOF Marine posted:

Lunch at PSNS is best had at El Balcon or The Curry. Sucks to be down at DD6, or have supervision that cares about what time you get back. There’s also the breakfast burrito dude that loiters around the Burwell tunnel/parking lot and sells homemade hot sauce.

Oooh. I’ll check that out.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Oooh. I’ll check that out.

Any of those options is great. El Balcon sells a burrito stuffed with a papusa. The Curry has a pretty great buffet that runs 11-2 for like $11. Burrito dude is a bit of a mystery. Everything there is great, but I don’t know his schedule and he seems to appear randomly in the mornings. Like a secret video game shop NPC. If you ask around, someone will know the deal.

State Street Cafe is boring as gently caress, skip it. Pho Tai is good and has a favorable location. Chung’s is a far cry from what it once was, but I still love their egg rolls. Kama’aina has great food, but call your order in and show up 10 or 15 minutes later than you said you wanted to pick it up by. If you’ve got extra time, or want some heinous greaseball food and a milkshake after work, Noah’s Ark is fantastic.

General Bremerton area eating advice: Big Apple Diner on Kitsap Way is better than Hi-Los for a variety of reasons. More expensive though. If you want to render yourself immobile, head to Silverdale (or Sequim) for breakfast at The Oak Table. Order the apple pancake. Diabetics need not apply.

All Star Lanes has great breakfast. McClouds has great steaks, just don’t go on a Friday and be the gently caress out of there before the rest of the sailors show up and initiate the nightly chuds vs. thugs showdown.

Avoid Der Blokken, Manette Saloon is a better choice. Tracyton Public House has the best wings in the county, possibly the state. Has changed its clientele a lot since the new owner stepped in quite a few years ago. Don’t go on Wednesdays.

The Garage is still Romeo’s, just with a different name, but all the same South Kitsap/North Mason county garbage people hanging out. Notably one of the few places outside of Monica’s that I’ve seen anyone trying to rep motorcycle gang colors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Noah’s Ark is good but it’s so dang greasy. Quintessential American. I made huge mistake last year when I ordered a pumpkin milkshake because they advertised it as having real pumpkin in it.

I’m lactose intolerant. Ughhhhh.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Oh yeah, I forgot Sabaidee on 6th, across the street from 7-Eleven, and if you can stomach the drive/the people Sawatdy on Bainbridge for Thai options. Family’s is good. Bahn Thai should be avoided.

Nattamit is probably the best, but has really weird hours. Over by Kaiser/Costco/Chuck E. Cheese is Jade Garden, J:oa, Aloha Kitchen, and Seoul Korean BBQ.

I love the Korean place, definitely a good place for a crowd.

Seattle is its own entity altogether and the world is your oyster over there. The shipyard sucks, and if you limit yourself to NBK, you’re hosed. But there are some bright stars nearby that make it more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The true mecca of on base food is the Pearl Harbor bowling alley fried rice omelette