Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

Is the name of the UK SO winning list Jake and the Fat Han?

And if not, why not?
Because you can't name an Xwing list something that makes it clear to others what's in the list.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

Is the name of the UK SO winning list Jake and the Fat Han?

And if not, why not?

Neither of the people who got that reference made it into the top eight

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

hoiyes posted:

Because you can't name an Xwing list something that makes it clear to others what's in the list.

Oh what, you don't know what the Chris Benoit Knuckle buster is?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Balls!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am old enough to get that and I feel bad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Someone talk me out if running anakin 7-b obiwan 7-b and Ahsoka CLT.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You’ll struggle against beefy lists with multiple arcs, but that’s true of any ace-focused list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finally got to play the double infiltrator list I theory crafted a month ago

New Squadron

(65) Darth Maul [Sith Infiltrator]
(3) Hate
(3) General Grievous
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(0) Jamming Beam
(6) DRK-1 Probe Droids
(12) Proton Torpedoes

(61) Count Dooku [Sith Infiltrator]
(3) Heightened Perception
(4) Scimitar
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(14) Chancellor Palpatine
(0) Jamming Beam
(12) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 199

On paper I thought this was going to be Ketsu/Bossk, but no. Not all all. It plays far, far more like first edition brobots.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just played this tonight against a triple Aethersprite-7B list, it was a ton of fun.

Anakin Skywalker (60) [83 total]
R4-P17 (5)
Delta-7B (18)

“Wolffe” (51) [60 total]
Crack Shot (1)
Veteran Tail Gunner (4)
R4-P Astromech (4)

“Sinker” (54) [57 total]
Clone Commander Cody (3)
Total: 200

First engagement happened turn 3, ARCs hit them head on, while Anakin did a 5 straight then fine-tuned controls to hit them from the side. Took out the other guy's Ahsoka right there and took 3 shields off another.

R4-P17 is huge on Anakin, IMO. Lets you Sloop, then boost or barrel roll into range 1 or bullseye then shed the stress to do his normal action.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had a lot of fun with this one last night. Someone won something big with it recently.

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
General Grievous (3)
Count Dooku (9)
Proton Bombs (5)
Hull Upgrade (3)
K2-B4 (5)

DFS-311 (24)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Grappling Struts (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Trade Federation Drone (20)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Fly the 3 drones in a ball, get some big hits in with the shells. 311 sticks close to Maul, feeding calculate tokens (like the old Mindlink Inaldra list). Dooku crew is a superstar in that list. Fun things to do with Dooku:
1. Use the ability to call out a crit when an enemy rolls over an asteroid or debris cloud.
2. Call out a crit when a friendly ship is firing energy shell charges (average roll is blank/hit/focus, which means you end up with hit/crit/crit at the end)
3. When facing down a crit/hit/hit/hit attack on Maul, call out an evade with Dooku rolling one die. Add an evade with the calculate from DFS 311 using K2-B4. Cancel the crit with Grievous. Take a single damage, and regen the force immediately with Hate. :v:

The list is really mean, I like it a lot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I had a lot of fun with this one last night. Someone won something big with it recently.

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
General Grievous (3)
Count Dooku (9)
Proton Bombs (5)
Hull Upgrade (3)
K2-B4 (5)

DFS-311 (24)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Grappling Struts (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Fly the 3 drones in a ball, get some big hits in with the shells. 311 sticks close to Maul, feeding calculate tokens (like the old Mindlink Inaldra list). Dooku crew is a superstar in that list. Fun things to do with Dooku:
1. Use the ability to call out a crit when an enemy rolls over an asteroid or debris cloud.
2. Call out a crit when a friendly ship is firing energy shell charges (average roll is blank/hit/focus, which means you end up with hit/crit/crit at the end)
3. When facing down a crit/hit/hit/hit attack on Maul, call out an evade with Dooku rolling one die. Add an evade with the calculate from DFS 311 using K2-B4. Cancel the crit with Grievous. Take a single damage, and regen the force immediately with Hate. :v:

If you're willing to drop the proton bomb (and find one more point, like from a failsafe), you can move the vultures to the I3 version, which lets them shoot before most generic ships. That's a big deal.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh jesus I am triggered

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

On last visit to the local games store I've spotted this game. I want to buy an xwing and give it a custom paint job, and I'm also thinking about getting into this game. What is the situation with custom paint jobs and tournaments (I've heard from a friend that the tournament requirements are quite harsh with this game?

Also how likely is there to be a gungan pilot/character for the republic faction soon? I mean, xwings are cool, and all, but I couldn't pass the opportunity to fly around with the worst best star wars race.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

X-Wing has probably the LEAST strict rules of any competitive minis game overall.

And repainted ships are totally fine. Even modifications to the model are fine as long as it can’t be confused for another ship

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think that the guiding principle is pretty close do "do what you want", as long as you don't modify the base or make a ship look like another ship (like painting a standard TIE fighter to look like a First Order TIE). I've seen pictures of people adding in LED lights for the Millennium Falcon that would be legal, since they didn't touch the base (they had the battery compartment inside the ship itself).

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Flew the Resistance 5’s this weekend at an extended “World Cup” tournament in Sydney. Was 4-1 going into the final round. Top table was live on stream and I promptly shat the bed. It as my first time on a big stream and I did everything I shouldn’t have with my list.

Did walk away with this though and it is amazing. Photos don’t do it justice.

As awesome as those are I want that drat ring

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
General Grievous (3)
Count Dooku (9)
Proton Bombs (5)
Hull Upgrade (3)
K2-B4 (5)

How often is Dooku going to actually be able to use his ability? Maul is very rarely going have all of his force tokens active.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Raged posted:

How often is Dooku going to actually be able to use his ability? Maul is very rarely going have all of his force tokens active.

When they run over an obstacle :v:

A bonus force point for Maul also isn't terrible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

Surprisingly often! If Maul is getting shot by an i6 ship you can use it on defense essentially for free, because you'll get it back with Hate anyway if you take damage.
Everything in that list wants to hit hard in one pass, and then swing around for another.

But yeah, there's a whole lot of utility in having that 4th Force point

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Which acrylic movement templates are you guys using? I lost my cardboard ones, and had been looking for some acrylics anyways :v:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've got a set of Curled Paw Creative templates and would recommend them. They're sized accurately, look nice, and easy to paint even if you're artistically challenged.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

System open rebel helmet templates

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I use Kraken Skulls templates. The mirrored acrylic is 👌
https://www.krakenskulls.com/store/c2/_X_Wing_Markers%2C_Tokens_and_Templates.html

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Flew the Resistance 5’s this weekend at an extended “World Cup” tournament in Sydney. Was 4-1 going into the final round. Top table was live on stream and I promptly shat the bed. It as my first time on a big stream and I did everything I shouldn’t have with my list.

Did walk away with this though and it is amazing. Photos don’t do it justice.

As awesome as those are I want that drat ring

Those templates are amazing.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Which acrylic movement templates are you guys using? I lost my cardboard ones, and had been looking for some acrylics anyways :v:

Curled Paw. I got the black ones and used a blood red to paint the highlights. They come pre-masked so it's literally as easy as "peel and paint". I had to do like three coats to get the red strong enough for my tastes, but they look amazing.

Unfortunately Covenant Tulsa has a red floor with black furniture and every time I drop one face up I have to hunt for the goddamn thing because it's freaking camouflaged.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Raged posted:

Gotten a few games in with a Maul/Dooku/Hate build and you would be surprised how fast you can get back to full force when Maul starts getting attacked. Does it suck that Maul is getting attacked? Yes but you can punish them for it.
I mainly treated Dooku as an extra force to have. If I had an opportunity to use a ability, that was a bonus.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Also agree on Dooku crew being phenomenal.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

hoiyes posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh jesus I am triggered

Not sure if you can do that. Dooku says before attack or defense dice are rolled......
Is rolling for damage through a debris an attack?

Edit: I guess it does, it says roll attack or defense dice....

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Dooku on a ship with Force user seems cool as it gives you more Force and options.
Dooku as the only Force in a ship FEELS better as it gives Force and his ability can trigger more easily, but that’s just theory crafting in my head.
Either way, Dooku crew (Doocrew?) seems pretty drat keen .

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ran a double Defender lost and at best, had a lot of fun with it even though it was in a loss. I think I’m going to chase that feeling.

Also in league night, ran three X-Wings (Wedge, Gavin, and BSE) along with Benthic in a U-Wing with Leia crew and beat out a fat Han and Poe list. Learned that a true mind-screw would be using Leia’s ability and then not doing any red maneuvers. Probably a terrible thing but it’s just fun to mess with people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Someone talk me out if running anakin 7-b obiwan 7-b and Ahsoka CLT.

CLT isn't worth bothering with especially on a 2-force pilot.

Talk me out of runnign Ani and Obi tooled up to the nines (R2, Sense, Afterburners, 7B).

And like a 14 point bid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

CLT isn't worth bothering with especially on a 2-force pilot.

Agreed.

thespaceinvader posted:

Talk me out of runnign Ani and Obi tooled up to the nines (R2, Sense, Afterburners, 7B).

And like a 14 point bid.

You'll be playing the "Get ahead on points, run forever" game if you do this. You probably don't need Sense on Ani if you have a huge bid, just Obi-Wan. Unless you want two chance for Sense to trigger to help out Obi. In which case I"d put Sense on Ani and SNR on Obi.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic%20Republic&d=v6!s=200!278:74,,201,105:;273:75,,201,105:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

For two fragile ships you're just asking for trouble if you don't take as deep a bid as possible. And you desperately want to avoid overspending force,s o I don't think you want to pay points for the privilege of doing so.

I like the concept of double sense for a wider array of free sensing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Someone give me tips on flying the Lancer, this ship is breaking my brain. It sort of wants to aim its cannon forward and charge people like the world's biggest Fang Fighter, but also wants to zip around the place taking potshots with its cannon, possibly tractoring fools and/or stressing fools.

It's a lot of disparate little directions and I'm not sure how they're meant to come together.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Someone give me tips on flying the Lancer, this ship is breaking my brain. It sort of wants to aim its cannon forward and charge people like the world's biggest Fang Fighter, but also wants to zip around the place taking potshots with its cannon, possibly tractoring fools and/or stressing fools.

It's a lot of disparate little directions and I'm not sure how they're meant to come together.

Don't, it's probably ten points overpriced.

But if you have to, put Maul or Zuckuss on it, and fly it like a Fang.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lichtenstein posted:

The Lancer is one of those ships that got hit hard by the nerf bat between first edition and second. It's quite a bit weaker than it once was. It's now very jousty (fly straight at enemy) where in first edition it was great at circle-strafing.

Ketsu can be pretty scary. Using tractor beams (and title) to fling people onto rocks before they can shoot is often very good.

But it's probably 5-8 points overcosted

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Its biggest issue is that it pays through the nose for one of the best dials in the game, and the only large base with green turns any more, but doesn't have anything other than the K turn to stress it natively. If it got linked rotates it would be fantastic. If still overpriced.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Its biggest issue is that it pays through the nose for one of the best dials in the game, and the only large base with green turns any more, but doesn't have anything other than the K turn to stress it natively. If it got linked rotates it would be fantastic. If still overpriced.

Honestly I feel like the Lancer has a chance to be the centerpiece of a weird sort of alpha-strike list where its tractor tokens, crew slot, and big front gun enable a set of mid-initiative ships (with big guns of their own and enough HP not to be alpha'd themselves) to nuke something.

But the Lancer itself and all the logical mid-initiative ships cost a few too many points each to fit them all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://imgur.com/a/QJaGxUU

Some snaps from the FFG stream previewing the Hyena bomber and the Resistance transport.

Some notable adds:
Autoblaster cannons are back, baby. 2 dice, range 1-2 forward arc, add an extra die in the bullseye. If you're not in the defender's forward arc, evade results do not cancel crit results.
Pretty slick, and it's interesting to have the arc thing as a condition on it. Much scarier on the flank than on the joust.

Fuses on some bombs. Fuse tokens keep the bomb from detonating for another turn, so the bombs detonate at the end of the next round's activation phase. Neat!
Electroproton bombs! Add a fuse token when deploying, cannot recover charge, requires reload action, one bomb and mod slot. When it detonates, all ships at range 0-2 roll 4 attack dice. Remove a shield for each blank result, take an ion token for each hit or focus result, and take a weapons disabled token for each crit result. Kinda neat to have a gimungous area of effect attack that can't deal hull damage. Seems like it would be fun on K-Wings with Sabine

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Even more fun in a squad with Captain Nym. Just create this huge gently caress-off zone the opponent cannot really just wait out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ugh that bomb is some dumb random poo poo for sure.

Autoblaster is really cool though. If it's cheap I can see Sunny Bounder finding a place as a very annoying flanker. It also gives someone like Poe a big leg up on imperial aces (a good thing).