Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I forgot these were published by Archie Comics. I hope the thing about the Sega exec is true, I couldn't confirm it but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Legend has it that the Sega of Japan executive saw this cover:

And demanded they stop the loving presses.

One of those Echidnas is unironically named Mary Sue.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
New mandates from SEGA after that cover included Sonic never having a girlfriend or expressing emotions other than "being cool".

Did Ken Penders' recent twitter meltdown get posted in this thread? Cause it was a doozy.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115455623104086017

This came after announcing randomly that Princess Sally lost her virginity at 16 to an older character. It's fascinating that even the DeviantArt Sonic people can't even outdo the guy who wrote the comic for a decade.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Sometimes “you learn something new every day” is way more of a curse than a blessing.

Wow.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Echincest

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

the wierdest thing about that is that knuckles has a kid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

New mandates from SEGA after that cover included Sonic never having a girlfriend or expressing emotions other than "being cool".

Did Ken Penders' recent twitter meltdown get posted in this thread? Cause it was a doozy.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115455623104086017

This came after announcing randomly that Princess Sally lost her virginity at 16 to an older character. It's fascinating that even the DeviantArt Sonic people can't even outdo the guy who wrote the comic for a decade.
This is amazing, lmao.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

This came after announcing randomly that Princess Sally lost her virginity at 16 to an older character.

What even ? Why would you even create that headcanon ? Surely it was never going to be necessary information for the games.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sonic lore always baffles me.

Because as I remember, (and I was not a big video game playing kid, so I am probably wrong), the plot to most Sonic games is "run fast and avoid obstacles whilst collecting coins 'till you get to the end. Oh and occasionally you will have a boss fight where you jump on/into a machine driven by the baddie guy" How do you get a detailed and intricate story out of that?

And Knuckles and Tails, and the pink bat lady etc. aren't they just other characters with different abilities that can make you run faster/avoid obstacles better?

I am all for enjoying the games, and having fun playing them, but why the intricate stories? And why do people have to make those stories so creepily sexual?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am all for enjoying the games, and having fun playing them, but why the intricate stories? And why do people have to make those stories so creepily sexual?

Because they hired the type of guy to have a bunch of deviantart OCs and weird fetish art to do the Sonic comics for a staggeringly long time. It's not a "those people" thing it's a Ken Penders thing. Honestly I'd say he's largely to blame for the Sonic fandom getting as insane as it is, because all the poo poo we laugh at that Sonic fans do, was being done officially (and encouraged) by him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I forgot these were published by Archie Comics. I hope the thing about the Sega exec is true, I couldn't confirm it but I love it.

Apparently Archie Comics was really loving bad at bookkeeping because when they fired him he said his contract stated that he got to keep all his "original characters, do not steal" creations and they lost their copy so they couldn't definitively say otherwise. Although these characters were

Pastry of the Year posted:

Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

so I doubt they were too broken up over it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's also this whole thing about how there were two separate cartoon shows about it; one was a silly, goofy, Saturday morning type slapstick-hijinks cartoon, and the other one was a DARK AND EDGY POST-APOCALYPTIC WELL OF NIHILISM.

I don't really know a lot more about it because every time I start reading up on it my skin gets all itchy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Data Graham posted:

the other one was a DARK AND EDGY POST-APOCALYPTIC WELL OF NIHILISM.

That was known as SatAM Sonic, and was my favorite cartoon growing up. It fuckin owned.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The 'darker' Sonic cartoon wasn't that dark, but it did have a plot that became the basis for the American comic and added on the environmental message popular in cartoons in the early 90s. The problem is people (mostly Ken Penders) remembered it as being dark, and decided that's what Sonic needed to be. That's where the divide between the comic and the games started.

Hell, was Princess Sally ever even a game character?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lady Disdain posted:

What even ? Why would you even create that headcanon ? Surely it was never going to be necessary information for the games.

At one point in his meltdown he brought up how he helped defend a friend accused of statutory rape and proudly described how it was “proven” to be a false report.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This is more a video about funny pictures so I think it still counts but the game grumps look at sonic comic covers

https://youtu.be/qGkGhJKXBSs

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Disdain posted:

Considering the character in question exists only in the comics and never the games, you would be absolutely correct.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

the wierdest thing about that is that knuckles has a kid

The family tree is upside-down. Although calling it a tree is a bit misleading.

Family Torus?

Oh poo poo. Knuckles has a family ring

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's clearly a family hypercube.

K̴nu͡ckl̴es ҉a̛nd h͡is ͠f̕a͏m͘i̶ly ̧h͘av̡e̴ ̨tr͠a͠ns̶c͜ended ͝yoưr̡ m̕o͜rtal̨ fra͏m̀e͞w͝ork ̴o̧f̀ ͘à ̢fam̨i͟ly.

O̻̗̱͠n͏҉̺͓̳͖͔̞̦e̶͔̩̠͞ ͇̻̗̭̥͟͢ͅd͉̗̪̬͉̘͡á̶̮̰y̞͡ ̡͉̮̤͟y̷̫ò̡̳̗͇͠ṳ̸̹͇̩ ̵̨̡̰̳͙̠̣̟w͓͈̬̩̜̲͉i͏̴͉͈̙͎ḽ̜̫̦̲͓̞̪͓ļ̜̫͖̫ ̗̩̫̫̼̝̙̦k̹̺̦n̮͖̟͈̬̻͔͘͠o̠̙͉̖ͅw̳̰͈.̧̜͎̫̦͕͓ ̞͢͞W̭̝͍͠e͖͝ ̰͙̯̯̜͞ẁ̡͔̗̬̬̗̖͎͖͜ͅí̭̘̖̠l̶̴̡͉̫͎l̛͖̣͜ ̪̘̟̹̙s͜͏̡̹͈͉̼̭͓h̢͈͜o̻̘͖̬w͇ ̢̬̝̩͔̫y҉̞̖̟͈̹͕ò̵̻̬̰̞̲̯ų͚̯̙̝̮̜.̨̹̻͕̼̗̀͠

Y̷̢̫͖̲̝͉̖͚͆̆͋̎͛̀̓͗̆͗́͢o͑̐̈́͒́̀ͯ͗̋͏̨̥͈̙̲͎̗̻͙͓̟̪̩͚͙̼͓̜́ͅű̖̯̜̫̘͔͖͇ͦ̇̂̏͊͑̓̔ͤͭ͗ͭͮ͒̒͊͝͝ ̛̈̐͊̋ͩ̓ͯ͑̑̄ͣ̚͏̲͈̭̩̤͕͎͚̰͚w̷̛̲͙͖̙̥̯̩̝̥͓̣̠͚̤̬̙̄̓ͭ̋̔̏͘į̯̙͎̭̫͙͍̹͔͇̰̫͉͈̜ͧ̈́͛̈́̓́͋̓ͥ̇ͫ̚͠͡ͅͅļ̶̜͉̗̱̙ͤ͂͂̔̒́ͥ̓ͨ̈́̒ͩ̆̏̆̉̄́̀̀͟l̢̮͈̺̫̺̮̍̓̄͡ͅ ̴̲̬̜̗͙͎̪̰͓̫͈͎͎̆̂ͩͯ͛͑ͬ̓͟͡u̐ͫ͆̏ͭ͒̃ͣͣͨ͢͏̛̖̼̰̬͙̤͓̣̳͙̠͜͞ṉ̶̸̛̺̯̼͈̌̀̽͌ͤͮ͊d͓̯̹̦̻̯͈͉̝̤̩͖̟͕̝̬͓͇ͩ̅ͮ̃ͥ̾͛ͧ̈̂ͣͭ͗̀ͧ͘͡͞e͆ͯ̌ͯ͛ͤ͗͏̴̧̤͓̩̝̞̦̙̝͚ŗ̴̗̫̬̖̬ͬͫ͂ͩ̈ͭ̿̀̏̈ͩ̍͒̿̿ͨ̅̽s̳͍̦͉̱͉̰̰̞̫̖̳͓̫̠̱͎͊̽̅͊̌ͮ̎ͮ̍̒̂ͣ̓͋̾̍̚̚͝͠ͅt̶̡͙̱̲̬̻̜̦͔͕͚̠̣̺͕̫͓̍̐ͫ̔ͨͯ͛͐͆̓̌͂͒̒̂̓̍̀͠͠a̭̝͉̱̟̝̱̫̜̥̠͇̗̬͔̤ͫ͒̋̐̌̑ͣͭ͟ṅ̇͗̈ͩͨ͑҉̷̠̪̗̬̜̝̞̼̘̰̜͎̖̭̙͙͇͘ͅͅd͎̖̣͓̫̱ͪͥ̆̐̏͗̉̒̇̓́̽ͮ̚͢͞.ͥ̎̒̃̎̇͏̯͖͖̮̯̀

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Dewgy posted:

Considering the character in question exists only in the comics and never the games, you would be absolutely correct.

It always feels nice to have my assumptions confirmed by an expert :thumbsup:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Unfrosted Poptarts looks surprisingly better than I expected

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
IIRC Penders got the boot because just after infamous trashfire Sonic '06 came out SEGA decided to do everything they needed to to keep people from focusing on the negatives of Sonic, and went to review all their commercial things with Sonic. The latest issue of the comic at the time had a cover with Sonic hugging his legs and crying because there was a public announcement that his girlfriend was going to be married to Shadow or Knuckles, can't remember which. Of course they decided to deal with that poo poo fast.

Of course that lead to Penders taking all his characters with him when he left, so they had to deal with that. So they crossed-over with the Archie MegaMan comic, and ended the ark with The universe getting reset so they could jettison the hundreds of comic original characters they couldn't use/didn't need. Because did they really need to keep around Dulcilina the Dragon and her abusive boyfriend?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Disdain posted:

It always feels nice to have my assumptions confirmed by an expert :thumbsup:

What can I say, I was like six when Sonic the Hedgehog had a cartoon. :v:

I think the cartoon shared characters with the comics, but not any of the writing staff.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

It's me, I'm the only kid who actually bought Sonic the Hedgehog comics :negative: To be fair I grew out of it when I started reading Goosebumps instead.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I used to buy them and get angry the comics were nothing like the games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Of course that lead to Penders taking all his characters with him when he left, so they had to deal with that.

What? How in the hell did they wind up in a situation where the comic book artist - as opposed to the publisher or the original license holder - had the rights to these characters?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Leperflesh posted:

What? How in the hell did they wind up in a situation where the comic book artist - as opposed to the publisher or the original license holder - had the rights to these characters?

Someone mentioned it before, but Archie literally lost his contract. I believe he produced a really suspect looking photocopy that said it all belonged to him, and Archie just kind of shrugged because they didn't care about the loving echidnas.

Also, I had Sonic #1 as a kid, but didn't take care of it. Apparently it would have been worth a couple hundred now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you forgot this bit

quote:

In December 2011, Penders announced plans to utilize Echidna characters he created for the Archie comics in a graphic novel series entitled The Lara-Su Chronicles. Said series is planned to feature Lara-Su, one of his original characters created during his work at Archie, as its protagonist. On March 5, 2014, Penders announced on his Twitter account that his characters were no longer echidna but Echyd'nya, an alien species.

:gonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Someone mentioned it before, but Archie literally lost his contract. I believe he produced a really suspect looking photocopy that said it all belonged to him, and Archie just kind of shrugged because they didn't care about the loving echidnas.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like they "lost" their copy of the contract so he'd take that whole awful mess with him in one nice neat cleanup.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Your Computer posted:

you forgot this bit

:gonk:

I agree with Neddy here. If I was in their position, I'd just get rid of him and all his pedophile bullshit as fast as possible.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hell, was Princess Sally ever even a game character?
The SatAM/early Archie characters showed up in a bonus stage in Sonic Spinball, of all places. And that was it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I almost bought one of those Sonic/Mega Man crossover comics when I saw it at the store a few years back. I didn't know I was seeing history being made.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I almost bought one of those Sonic/Mega Man crossover comics when I saw it at the store a few years back. I didn't know I was seeing history being made.

They were easily the best video game comic book adaptations ever made. Ian may be a dork, but he's a dork who loves the stuff he writes about, and I absolutely cannot fault the man for it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I apologize that this isn’t about hedgehogs loving, but it spoke to me.

Edit: drat, I fixed that poo poo within seconds. Are you the Flash?

Also, the problem was caused by _d, which is kind of funny given who spotted it.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Apr 17, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I apologize that this isn’t about hedgehogs loving, but it spoke to me.

What is this, a meme for ants???

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Also, I had Sonic #1 as a kid, but didn't take care of it. Apparently it would have been worth a couple hundred now.

Not quite that simple, apparently he had to sue for the rights but yeah, I don't think they felt they lost much in the end.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the only sonic the hedgehog canon i care about is that batshit insane story from the 10th anniversary booklet, where there was a fighter pilot named "hedgehog" who had a blue hedgehog on his jacket and then he crashed and died and then some girl went to an airshow and a plane almost crashed into her but she was saved at the last second by sonic the hedgehog, the pilot's patch that came alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the only sonic the hedgehog canon i care about is that batshit insane story from the 10th anniversary booklet, where there was a fighter pilot named "hedgehog" who had a blue hedgehog on his jacket and then he crashed and died and then some girl went to an airshow and a plane almost crashed into her but she was saved at the last second by sonic the hedgehog, the pilot's patch that came alive

Kinda fever dream bullshit is this?