Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You probably shouldn't post it there either tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mindless posted:

Counterpoint: Randy Savage is the Spencer's Gifts Rob Zombie

nah, Randy Savage is coked up Rob Zombie

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

nah, Randy Savage is coked up Rob Zombie

You say that like Rob Zombie isn't a coked up Rob Zombie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You say that like Rob Zombie isn't a coked up Rob Zombie.
SNORT up the powder and
SMOKE all the crystals and

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FactsAreUseless posted:

SNORT up the powder and

its amazing that my brain automagically parsed that as i read it

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

*tears off clothes and screams, blood running from bloodshot eyes*
EVERY GOD drat DAY

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Cronos and Zeus there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

FactsAreUseless posted:

SNORT up the powder and

Please don't sing Dragula.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Screaming Idiot posted:

*tears off clothes and screams, blood running from bloodshot eyes*
EVERY GOD drat DAY

https://i.imgur.com/XBteQc1.gifv

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cute.

Let's see them try Polnareff's pose when he joins the team.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Samovar posted:

Cute.

Let's see them try Polnareff's pose when he joins the team.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

ehhhh this story's pretty complicated. As a Senator Cicero helped develop something called the Senatus Consultum Ultimum, a kind of one-off act of dictatorship. As Consul he used it a bunch to have rivals and troublemakers executed without trial, despite all the flowery things he wrote about the Republic and its just ways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm reasonably certain that 90% of Roman politics, Republic or otherwise, was finding some way to bullshit your way into "I can legally murder my opponents" and then murdering your opponents.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm reasonably certain that 90% of Roman politics, Republic or otherwise, was finding some way to bullshit your way into "I can legally murder my opponents" and then murdering your opponents.

100%

From written laws to bribing generals all the way to building a bathhouse for the plebs.
Caesar did a whole bunch of conquering to get everyone on his side to kill Pompey.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's even weirder than that, in 509 BCE Junius Brutus founded the Republic by overthrowing the "last" of Rome's monarchs, Tarquinius Superbus.

In 450 BCE, 60 years later, they adopted a written code of law. Today we simply can't imagine a state without a written code of law. The Code of Hammurabi was over 700 years old at this point in history, mind you.

(for scale, Alexander the Great was crowned in 336 BCE, ~80 years after the roman adoption of a written code of law and over 1000 years after Hammurabi)

Fully 150 years after Rome created its code of law, around 300 BCE one Gnaeus Flavius published the first legal dictionary for Roman Law, which until that date was a jealously guarded secret from the days of the old Etruscan civilization.

So imagine a "just and enlightened" Republic where you couldn't know what the laws were, many people suspected they were simply made up on the spot by elites, the legal system was basically spells cast by priests that could sentence you to death and slavery. That was what people lived under for 60 years, the average lifespan of a healthy rich person

edit: this was a complex post, get off my fuckin back

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Apr 17, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're loving with me, right?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

You're loving with me, right?

it meant Superb

e: In english he'd be called King Tarquiny the Superb

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
But it was pronounced “Super Bus”

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

it would be closer to soo pair boose (pronounced like Goose) with a slight roll on the r

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Apr 17, 2019

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

But it was pronounced “Super Bus”

Nah more like sue perboos

Still, what a great name.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

We actually have a number of written works that somehow transmitted to us the correct roman way to pronounce latin. they described the R sounds to be "like a growling dog", and we even know that their H was silent so Emperor Hadrian would be pronounced similar to the Sea from which his family got the cognomen; the Adriatic

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I thought we didn't know how to pronounce Latin?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

JcDent posted:

I thought we didn't know how to pronounce Latin?

iirc there's still some debate regarding the letter X, they're not sure if it follows the english K-S "ecks" or the spanish "-ey" or "-eyh", because of the silent H

e: this is a complex debate, because England was a wonderful repository of roman writing: Emperor Severus founded a roman university in what is modern day England which was preserved throughout many eras, including the Christian Era, the Saxonic Era and the Viking Era when Danish conquerors took over large parts of the British Isles. Meanwhile Hispania is right next door to the Italian Peninsula but was conquered by Islam in the intervening years and we have few surviving texts from Roman Spain

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Apr 17, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Former DILF posted:

it meant Superb

e: In english he'd be called King Tarquiny the Superb

I don't care, he's King Super Bus now.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't care, he's King Super Bus now.

From a historical perspective these titles meant a great deal. This Tarquin king enjoyed a title that even Jupiter was never entitled. The greatest title that was bestowed upon Jupiter as it was known to history was that of "Optimus Maximus"; meaning "Most good" and "Most high"

If you referred to this individual as anything other than his preferred nomenclature you'd almost certainly be risking summary execution

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Former DILF posted:

iirc there's still some debate regarding the letter X, they're not sure if it follows the english K-S "ecks" or the spanish "-ey" or "-eyh", because of the silent H

e: this is a complex debate, because England was a wonderful repository of roman writing: Emperor Severus founded a roman university in what is modern day England which was preserved throughout many eras, including the Christian Era, the Saxonic Era and the Viking Era when Danish conquerors took over large parts of the British Isles. Meanwhile Hispania is right next door to the Italian Peninsula but was conquered by Islam in the intervening years and we have few surviving texts from Roman Spain

That does sound very compleyh.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Memento posted:

That does sound very compleyh.

:hmmyes:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Former DILF posted:

From a historical perspective these titles meant a great deal. This Tarquin king enjoyed a title that even Jupiter was never entitled. The greatest title that was bestowed upon Jupiter as it was known to history was that of "Optimus Maximus"; meaning "Most good" and "Most high"

If you referred to this individual as anything other than his preferred nomenclature you'd almost certainly be risking summary execution

death by super bus seems like a kickin' rad way to go

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'll leave you all with these facts:

0 Rome was established as a multicultural state. Romulus, if he existed, brought many cultures together to found the city of Rome.

1 The first of which was the Etrucans, native to Italy. The Etruscans' contributions to civilization are numerous.

2 The second was the Sabines, a horse-people native to what we think of as Central and Eastern europe. probably similar to the Mongolians best characterized Genghis Khan

3 The third was the Greeks, a refugee population that were fleeing the Bronze Age Collapse. Aeneas was a Trojan (Hittite) and from his conquests on the Italian Peninsula we get the kingdom of Alba Longa, from which give us eventually Julius Caesar and Augustus. (the historian of Augustus, Virgil wrote the Aenid, which traces the lineage of the Julii)

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Apr 17, 2019

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Cool, cool

But were German tanks really superior?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

el dingo posted:

Cool, cool

But were German tanks really superior?

A German tank was better than four American ones.

The Americans just had five.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Memento posted:

A German tank was better than four American ones.

The Americans just had five.

Well, at least the second part of the post is true.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SpacePig posted:

Please don't sing Dragula.

DEAD I AM THE ONE

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

bony tony posted:

DEAD I AM THE ONE

HISTORY IS DONE

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

ET CETERA'S GONE

PAGING DAVID FRUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5PEVPFkmE