Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Slothful Bong posted:

Went a little crazy today

TBH I was very much underwhelmed by Codex, Serum is a lot nicer in a lot of ways. While I respect their DSP prowess in other matters, synths aren't their forte and Element's specs are pretty vanilla too.

Komplete 4! I have that somewhere too, bought it from our own RivensBitch way back. Upgraded every iteration, and I'm now waiting for NI's summer discount to get K12U.

e: no contextless snipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Laserjet 4P posted:

TBH I was very much underwhelmed by Codex, Serum is a lot nicer in a lot of ways. While I respect their DSP prowess in other matters, synths aren't their forte and Element's specs are pretty vanilla too.

Komplete 4! I have that somewhere too, bought it from our own RivensBitch way back. Upgraded every iteration, and I'm now waiting for NI's summer discount to get K12U.

e: no contextless snipes

Good to know about Serum - I've only recently gotten back into softsynth stuff after a decade of using the same plugins, so I'm a bit in the dark about whats considered good nowadays.

I'm definitely not gonna be upset if Codex and Element aren't amazing though. $30 for codex and ~$9 for Element means even if I only use them a handful of times, I'm still getting my money's worth!

Still learning the ropes of the MiniNova too, drat can it get deep.

I primarily use Absynth, FM8, Massive, and Minimoog, so this is probably the biggest expansion of tools I've ever done.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
Got my '79 peavey t40 in. Put some flatwounds on it, changed the phase and pickup toggle, and set the action just how I like it.

She plays like a dream and sounds amazing. Got a hell of a deal on reverb and just a little parts/labor and bam.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

She's a beaut. The grain on the body is perfect

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
God I love natural finishes.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A gloriously 70s beast.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Maybe not the thread for this, but I listed my 80s Korean built epiphone les paul on cl for local trade and someone offered a red knobbed fender champ 12 for it. Reviews seemed mixed, but it’d be cool to have a tube amp at home to practice with. Any one have any experience with one?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's a Paul Rivera-era Fender which, imo, are underrated, clean headroom (that is to say if you like fuzz and or high gain pedals these are really great) amps.

The prices for your guitar and the amp are questionably in the same ballpark depending on which side you value more.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's a Paul Rivera-era Fender which, imo, are underrated, clean headroom (that is to say if you like fuzz and or high gain pedals these are really great) amps.

The prices for your guitar and the amp are questionably in the same ballpark depending on which side you value more.

I don’t do a lot of high gain stuff, but I have a ton of pedals and heard the amp is pretty good with cleans and pedals.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Most Fender amps are super into getting down and dirty with pedals.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The red knob stuff is super crisp and clean, almost glassy. The Champ 12 is interesting in that it's the only amp I can think of that uses a single 6L6, since the 6V6 that drove earlier Champs was out of production at the time, and it gave Fender something to do with mismatched power tubes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll give it a try this week and report back. I’m gonna have to replace the knobs if I buy it though. That red is ugly af.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The best thing you can do with it is upgrade the speaker if it still has the original, that would make it a significantly nicer and more useable amp.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

After The War posted:

The best thing you can do with it is upgrade the speaker if it still has the original, that would make it a significantly nicer and more useable amp.

If I don’t immediately love it I’ll probably pass. I have a Hot Rod for gigs and band practice and use a katana currently at home. Just wondering if I’ll like it better since I dig tubes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Katanas are cool. I don't know if cooler than the THR line by Yamaha, but the 2x12 cabinet is loving legit and it sorta makes me mad that it sounds much better than like half of my other far more expensive cabs when paired with my main heads.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

New one on the right, and I have a Scarlett 2i2 showing up soon so I can get some proper recordings.

:toot: HERRRRNK :toot:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dewgy posted:

New one on the right, and I have a Scarlett 2i2 showing up soon so I can get some proper recordings.

:toot: HERRRRNK :toot:

I really want to get the big one someday. I love my standard one but being able to run it through fuzz and delay and etc obnoxious poo poo sounds amazing.

Have fun!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My red knob 2x12 kicks rear end, do it.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
EHX nano 360 looper coming in today. Should be fun.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My 420 :420: impulse purchase arrived an hour ago. I've nearly finished building it -

I've never played the drums before, but I had advice from a good drummer re: what to get. He advised me to get the Alesis Nitro Mesh.

When I loop with the Variax guitar, I only ever use my thumb to pluck, so I'm thinking that the other fingers can permanently hold a baton or drum stick that can reach out and slowly layer up rhythm in the spaces between the notes. The idea works in my head at least... and I've been practising holding a marker pen and tapping my cat with it while playing...

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I bought a used Eden d210t bass cab. I’m no tone expert but this thing sounds so much better than the combo I was using. Here’s a pic of my current simple setup. Another Eden cab may be in my future.
https://imgur.com/gallery/tNywZH9

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

grabbed this dirt cheap strat knockoff on reverb for a ridiculously low price because i really liked the color. im not expecting much but i hope its at least as good as the strangely good for the price rondomusic guitar i got years ago

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Does that have a truss rod?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Jonny Nox posted:

Does that have a truss rod?

yup. realized it doesnt look like it does in the pic lol.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Color is amazing.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Midi controller? My 13 year-old m-audio O2 is starting to crap out... Am mostly just looking for something that feels good to play and is not too big

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Midi controller? My 13 year-old m-audio O2 is starting to crap out... Am mostly just looking for something that feels good to play and is not too big
I had a few M-Audios before and they all crapped out on me too. This is the one I've had for almost a year now:

Alesis V49 | 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard & Drum Pad Controller (8 Pads / 4 Knobs / 4 Buttons)

It's worked fine for me so far! It had pretty good reviews on Amazon, too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Depends. If you want a controller with all the toys and connectors in it, check out the Arturia Keystep. Their keys are pretty nice compared to everything within the price range. It's pretty much the go-to controller for connections and built-in arp and sequencer modes.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Thanks, going to test both of those out for sure at my local music store!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Everybody was talking these up so I got one:

I was not prepared for how tiny it was.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:getin:

PS "Turbo" = the correct setting

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I thought about getting one of those to keep in my guitar case when I was gigging, just in case my pedalboard disappeared or whatever.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Everybody was talking these up so I got one:

I was not prepared for how tiny it was.
Are your socks still there?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

Are your socks still there?

I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it yet but I really like how drastically the character of the sound changes as you turn the gain knob. I never quite got what "fuzztortion" meant before that.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got a raise last week, so I bought myself a Bass VI

Will need to do a set up but so far I'm happy. Also fits the white/tortoise scheme I've been building. Squier Vintage Modified Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and now this. Not intentional, just seem to be the best deals I get are white/tortoise.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Not sure if this is where this belongs but I just bought a pair of ICEPOWER 50ASX2SE to make some powered monitors for my desktop.

https://www.parts-express.com/icepower-50asx2se-class-d-audio-amplifier-with-power-supply-module-2-x-50w--326-212

Gonna pair them with a miniDSP 2x4 which will be used to run the digital crossover and flatten the frequency response out.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
White/tortoise on Fenders owns though. Maybe not for a tele but all the other solidbodies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

White/tortoise on Fenders owns though. Maybe not for a tele but all the other solidbodies.
I've seen White/Tortoise on a Tele in the wild. Can confirm that it looks hot as hell. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've decided to move away from VSTs when I live loop, and have decided to go down the synth route. After a few weeks of reading and watching reviews, I opted for an Audiothingies Micromonsta, which is a true MPE compatible synth with a hell of a lot of features, and perfect to connect to the Linnstrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

fuctifino posted:

I've decided to move away from VSTs when I live loop, and have decided to go down the synth route. After a few weeks of reading and watching reviews, I opted for an Audiothingies Micromonsta, which is a true MPE compatible synth with a hell of a lot of features, and perfect to connect to the Linnstrument.

This is neat.
Please post a video of it beeping the boops.