Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
So I'm bad at this game, and am still trying to win with the robot. When should I take another active over coolant leak? I'm not sure what else to ask i think mostly i need to stop getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

vorebane posted:

So I'm bad at this game, and am still trying to win with the robot. When should I take another active over coolant leak? I'm not sure what else to ask i think mostly i need to stop getting hit.

I don’t know how anyone even gets good at this game. I just died to the Gorgun on my last run :ghost:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
On my new ps4 save I'm just missing the hunting quests for platinum and I'm not even at 30 deaths. I still suck at all phases of the rat but can usually squeeze out a win.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dugong posted:

I don’t know how anyone even gets good at this game. I just died to the Gorgun on my last run :ghost:

Oh dear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samovar posted:

FINALLY beat the Lich as the Gunslinger.

Tho I will say, Yari Launcher + Holey Grail makes the game almost impossible to lose.

compared to the misery that was the initial release, the current version has so many gamebreaking item combinations that it puts binding of isaac to shame, especially if you can keep up with its (still kinda bullshit) never-get-hit mechanics

polaris + metronome, don't mind if i do

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Oxxidation posted:

compared to the misery that was the initial release, the current version has so many gamebreaking item combinations that it puts binding of isaac to shame, especially if you can keep up with its (still kinda bullshit) never-get-hit mechanics

polaris + metronome, don't mind if i do

I remember I almost lost a Lich run with remote bullets, gun crown and shadow clones because I was firing so many bullets I couldn't see the enemy rounds.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

vorebane posted:

Many things are better than coolant leak. Gun friendship, any invulnerability item, lament configuration, big boy, bracket key, any item that lets you steal there is more but that's just off the top of my head.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
At least keep coolant leak so you have a easy way to put out the fireplace without having to worry about accidentally shooting the nearby water barrel. After that you can chuck it for anything you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dugong posted:

Gorgun is harder this patch! You're just not used to her yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

vorebane posted:

Rainbow runs are kind of busted in general but with robot they're really busted. I'd recommend it if you really wanna win.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If you want a really easy robot run, scum the first floor until you get riddle of lead. Permanent 50% chance to negate damage since you have no hearts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't know how many runs I have made, probably around 100, and I cannot reliably get past floor 3. I'm even still dying on floor one (though only to the boss).

Turns out I wasn't capitalizing on blanks. Clicking in the sticks was never fast enough. Rebinding it to ZR has increased my ability to survive quite a lot.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've gotten to where I never use blanks for anything except opening secrets and it's a bad habit overall

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is that 3rd floor room with the two 4-way lasers and the two bubs + two bulletkins that spawn after they die there 100% of the time? I don't notice any other rooms in the game being quite that identical (theres always a big zombie cave floor 4 but the layout can change).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

No Wave posted:

Is that 3rd floor room with the two 4-way lasers and the two bubs + two bulletkins that spawn after they die there 100% of the time? I don't notice any other rooms in the game being quite that identical (theres always a big zombie cave floor 4 but the layout can change).

Yeah some rooms tend to always generate. You can really see it in the oubliette

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

No Wave posted:

Pretty sure it is and I'm sick of it

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Inzombiac posted:

I don't know how many runs I have made, probably around 100, and I cannot reliably get past floor 3. I'm even still dying on floor one (though only to the boss).

Turns out I wasn't capitalizing on blanks. Clicking in the sticks was never fast enough. Rebinding it to ZR has increased my ability to survive quite a lot.

I always accidentally click the sticks in when poo poo hits the fan, so I had to rebind my blanks to R2, as well

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Am I the only weirdo with fire on R2 and roll on L2, leaving L1 for map and L2 for item use?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I had to leave blanks on my shoulder button because I accidentally click the sticks too much so map is on the face buttons

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Pretty sure it is and I'm sick of it
On one hand, I agree and I am sick of it too. On the other hand, it's a room that always doesnt have an invincible gatling minecart in it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chin Strap posted:

Am I the only weirdo with fire on R2 and roll on L2, leaving L1 for map and L2 for item use?

You'd be a weirdo if you put both fore and dodge on the same side.
That would be lunacy.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Chin Strap posted:

Nope, on Switch I have a similar binding. ZR is shoot, ZL is roll, L is map, ... oh well I guess R is reload. I have B for active and stick-click for blank though I do keep randomly blanking in intense situations.

Also killed my first two pasts this week finally, though in rainbow mode so it's a bit cheaty. But at least it still counts for unlocks - I got the Hollow shortcut in one shot. And I finally remembered to pick up Ox's arm, though I also intended to bring the TV there and lost it somewhere in floor 3 or 4 and I have no idea where.

I've had this game since release on PC and got it again at release on Switch, though I put it down for a while shortly after release on PC because it was hard and not really what I was expecting it to be. Feels good to finally make some progress even if rainbow does count as cheating.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I can only reliably play with mouse and keyboard. Blank on middle mouse button, active item on space.

I tend to keep blanks for bosses and secret rooms only unless poo poo really hits the fan. Bites me in the rear end sometimes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My last run I had the Crown of Guns

I think it might be my literal least favorite gun

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

precision posted:

That and the bullet that shoots guns are awful.
The only thing of that nature I like is the gun throne since it farts out bullets on dodge.

My last run I got the ticket that summons the Raven boss to fight for you. Made it all the way to floor 4.
Of course I died by screwing up the timing and falling in a pit.

I'm just not good at these types of games but I can't stop playing.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Ticket is pretty much auto lead god. Just let the bird tank all the shots and laugh your way to a master round.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I find that the bird's chain gun hitting the boss seems to lower the dps cap for some reason and on broken runs it takes longer to kill with the bird than without it. I actually don't appear to deal any extra damage to the boss vs letting the bird just solo it as long as the bird is there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I can only reliably play with mouse and keyboard. Blank on middle mouse button, active item on space.

I tend to keep blanks for bosses and secret rooms only unless poo poo really hits the fan. Bites me in the rear end sometimes.

Mouse is better for shooting but thats not the hard part of this game.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I played a few hundred hours on controller and now I switched to keyboard mouse, but I'll sometimes still use a controller depending on if I feel like having more precise movement at the expense of aim. Controller lets you move at slower speeds which is a huge plus and dodge roll a little more accurately, but the aim is not as good especially if you have like remote bullets.

For people struggling maybe try controller, you get used to right stick aiming pretty quickly, and you will want to manually aim most of the time cause the auto aim is kind of garbage in how it targets, the benefit you get from moving more precisely may help you survive better. Off the top of my head keybinds on my 360 controller are L2 - Roll, R2 - fire, L1 - item, L2 map, X - Blank, Y- gun menu, B - interact, A and right stick press- reload, directional pad for item and gun cycling.

Destro fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 17, 2019

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So that secret fireplace room on the first floor takes you to another floor with the special armor piece in it. I've managed to get that armor piece to the shrine in the following floor and taken the secret entrance there. Is it just an extra floor with the same boss every time? I've done it twice now and beat that boss once. Is there anything else special on that floor I'm missing? Cause otherwise it just seems like a harder path to take.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Holy gently caress they added back int he abyssal tentacle and black hole gun synergy, that poo poo is OP as hell

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So that secret fireplace room on the first floor takes you to another floor with the special armor piece in it. I've managed to get that armor piece to the shrine in the following floor and taken the secret entrance there. Is it just an extra floor with the same boss every time? I've done it twice now and beat that boss once. Is there anything else special on that floor I'm missing? Cause otherwise it just seems like a harder path to take.

It's always the same boss. The thing is, the Oubliette and the Abbey are "extra" levels, you do them to get extra chances at loot.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah that area kinda sucks and you're not missing anything. the boss is really difficult and it's definitely not worth doing in most playthroughs. Once you beat the Old King once and unlock the encyclopedia entry I don't think there's a real reason to go back?...

I almost always do the Oubliette level because the goo boss is really easy and it's a quick way to gain at least 1 free weapon without taking any damage (hopefully).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's actually an extra level entirely, you don't skip floor 3.

For players of average skill (like myself) the route that most consistently makes you strongest is 1->oubliette (fireplace floor)->2->3->4->5. Very skilled players will consistently get stronger going through the abbey as they'll get more out of the items they find then they'll lose from getting hit.

There are two other secret floors, not sure if you want to be spoiled about those. One of them is super hard but makes your run broken OP if you beat it, the other isnt very hard but is only ever likely to make you stronger on rainbow runs.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

precision posted:

The crown of guns can be really good, depending on what other items you have. Even the Robot's standard passive item, the battery bullets, makes it much, much better because the bullets actually concentrate to where you're shooting. It can melt bosses down and clear rooms very quickly.

Remote Bullets also makes it good.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Ah alright, thanks!

I actually wouldn't mind knowing about the other secret floors. I've killed all the pasts of the main 4 characters and I know there's bullet hell. So I'm sure I've missed other secrets that I wouldn't mind hitting before I eventually beat the Lich.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah that area kinda sucks and you're not missing anything. the boss is really difficult and it's definitely not worth doing in most playthroughs. Once you beat the Old King once and unlock the encyclopedia entry I don't think there's a real reason to go back?...

I almost always do the Oubliette level because the goo boss is really easy and it's a quick way to gain at least 1 free weapon without taking any damage (hopefully).

If I'm just going for a Dragun / past kill run, I'll usually skip the secret floors, but if I want to take out the Rat or do for a Lich run, I almost always will do Oubliette and the Abby. Old King is a really tough fight at first, particularly because of his high HP, but like anything with this game, as you learn the patterns and get better at the mechanics, the fight becomes easier. The resources you accumulate from the extra floors pays off in Bullet Hell. Rather than limp into the Lich fight with no ammo, getting 4+ extra chests from the first two floors plus a bunch of extra money should put you in good shape.

Killing the Rat almost always becomes an auto Lich win, because you get so much good poo poo, and all of his rat chest items are OP as gently caress. But the rat fight is really hard if you don't have some decent items, and his key is so expensive you generally need to get some extra cash if you can't steal it.

On another note...did Mine Flayer get nerfed in the recent patch? I didn't remember his arena having pillars you can get behind for cover. Some of his bullet patterns were tricky to time and dodge, but you can just kind of camp behind the pillar and not worry about getting hit because he doesn't move around much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The mine flayer pillars are random like the gatling gun arena and have been around for a while. They sure make the fight easy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really wish there were more bullet modifiers and fewer overall guns.

It's a blast to have bouncing shock bullets, not so great to get the sawn off again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I really wish there were more bullet modifiers and fewer overall guns.

It's a blast to have bouncing shock bullets, not so great to get the sawn off again and again.

Keep grinding those credits and unlocking guns!