Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You, frugal: coupons in the car

Me, a true cheapskate: http://www.hfqpdb.com/gallery/free

(it contains all other coupons too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Oh, I'm definitely a big user of HFQPDB as well. HF is like Kohls, if you're not at least getting 20% off, you're a sucker.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why the actual gently caress are all the screws in America either lovely or lovely? Square, hex, and star-drive screws are vastly superior to the stuff that's actually available.

Because American industrial manufacturers wanted a screw that was better for powered screwdrivers than traditional slotted screws, and despite Henry Ford wanting Robertson screws because they saved 2 hours per Model T, Robertson wouldn't license it to Ford and couldn't meet the demand for the number of screws Ford needed, so Ford (and GM) went with the next best option.

It's just sort of a thing that happened because of decisions made 100+ years ago, like why the British drive on the wrong side of the road because they're imperialists and electricity comes in 120v/60hz or 240v/50hz because of what equipment two electrical equipment companies in the US and Germany decided to standardize on in the 1890s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's just sort of a thing that happened because of decisions made 100+ years ago, like why the British drive on the wrong side of the road because they're imperialists and electricity comes in 120v/60hz or 240v/50hz because of what equipment two electrical equipment companies in the US and Germany decided to standardize on in the 1890s.

Japan uses both because Tokyo bought from the Germans while Osaka bought from the Americans. :japan:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, but they're not the default.

What does that even mean? They are all on the shelves next to each other and people pick what they want to pick. Inertia in the US makes a lot of phillips fly off the shelf.

Phillips does have it's place too. In drywall phillips are superior because you actually WANT them to cam out clean, and there are bits specifically made to dimple the drywall just as they cam out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

What does that even mean?

I clarified what I meant in a later post: when you buy stuff that includes screws, particularly machine screws where you need a specific diameter, length, and thread pitch (thus hard to replace with my own supply of better screws), you almost invariably get something with a Phillips head made of cheap, soft steel.

If I'm building something myself and need screws, I'll go with star drive, or hex drive for machine screws. But I can't realistically keep a stock of every different machine screw variation so that when I buy a product that uses Phillips-head machine screws I can easily substitute my own screws.

And yeah, I know the history of the Robertson screw and why we got stuck with Phillips. I understand why it happened the way it happened, I'm just bemoaning the fact that we haven't gotten around to fixing it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Every room in my house. There is not a paint on Earth that covers in one coat. These assholes at Home Depot and Lowe's try to sell you the expensive paint then say it covers in one coat but it certainly does not. Maybe you won't get bleed through of a darker color, but you will get spots where the roller just doesn't get. Small flecks here and there. Or when you're cutting in you may get lines from the brush, especially with glossier paints.

Buy the regular paint, do two coats.

This is terrible advice. Buy the expensive paint from an actual paint store, not some big box hardware store.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I clarified what I meant in a later post: when you buy stuff that includes screws, particularly machine screws where you need a specific diameter, length, and thread pitch (thus hard to replace with my own supply of better screws), you almost invariably get something with a Phillips head made of cheap, soft steel.

Well that's cost engineering. And really nice phillips drivers of the proper size for the screw head go a long way to making this as workable situation as possible.

kid sinister posted:

This is terrible advice. Buy the expensive paint from an actual paint store, not some big box hardware store.

And enough for 2 coats. But at least those 2 coats won't be poo poo and won't suck to apply.

I've never once hears anyone who paints for a living, or even a moderate amount, suggest anything other than buying the best paint you can get your hands on because everything else is wasted time and miserable to work with. From personal experience of formerly being a cheap rear end on this I completely agree.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIS B 1012 is the secret sauce that cures phillips of what ails it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JIZ and Ponzidrive are bad because no one without a degree in ornitheology can tell cruciform screws apart from each other and if you’re using a novel screw type, you might as well do it right with Torx.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Trabant posted:

Hey, we have Spax!

Anyone? Spax?
I love Spax screws... because standard Torx bits actually work in them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

JIZ and Ponzidrive are bad because no one without a degree in ornitheology can tell cruciform screws apart from each other and if you’re using a novel screw type, you might as well do it right with Torx.

JIS are legit hard to identify, because the dot or x marker on the screwhead for them is small and supposedly optional (wikipedia says they're "usually" marked).

Pozidriv/Supadriv, however, are distinct and easy to spot:

Pozidriv:
Supadriv:

They're always marked as such.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah.

The more particular demands you have for other aspects of the screw (diameter, length, thread pitch, head profile, &c.), the fewer options you have for the drive type.

In the U.S., this means you are stuck with Philips.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/

quote:

We’re more confused than ever on the mysterious JIS screwdriver. Bottom line is that it is extremely difficult — if not impossible — to find a modern JIS screwdriver manufactured new.

What a mess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

We should come up with a new driver to be the new universal standard, that'll be way easier than having a whole bunch to choose from!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Electrical equipment manufacturers: what if we used a screw that could be driven by either a slotted or Philips driver?

Electrical equipment technicians: driving these things with either is a pain, but what if we had a driver that engaged with both surfaces?

And of course there are wing nut wrenches.

It does look like one, and it’s intentional.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

Electrical equipment manufacturers: what if we used a screw that could be driven by either a slotted or Philips driver?

Electrical equipment technicians: driving these things with either is a pain, but what if we had a driver that engaged with both surfaces?

I have that screwdriver and it's legit amazing for any of those stupid universal screws.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's just sort of a thing that happened because of decisions made 100+ years ago, like why the British drive on the wrong side of the road because they're imperialists

Why even did the change happen?

I'm guessing the British is the original version just because they've been around longer and all the Commonwealth countries still drive on the left.

I remember reading once that the US did it to further distinguish themselves from their old colonial masters, but I took that with a grain of salt.

Changing the side of the road everyone drives/rides a horse on seems like a hell of a lot of fuss for something so petty.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Myanmar's head of state once decided that the country would switch to driving on the right, reportedly on astrological advice.

They kept on importing Japanese cars for a long time after.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know Sweden did it in the 60s. It was exactly the clusterfuck you would expect.

EDIT: Going to wikipedia, I get

quote:

In the late 1700s, traffic in the United States was RHT based on teamsters' use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver's seat, so the (typically right-handed) postilion held his whip in his right hand and thus sat on the left rear horse. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons

So I wonder if the British way comes from something stupid like 'holding sword in right hand and shield in the other'. Jousting, pip pip!

Like how circular staircases were made all winding the one way in old castles.

It would be great if everyone was on the same side. Wikipedia also had this map of which side people drive on and although most countries drive on the right, there's still maybe a third of the population of the world who don't.

I can't even imagine the logistics and nationalistic bullshit which would arise from trying.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 17, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would be great if everyone was on the same side. Wikipedia also had this map of which side people drive on and although most countries drive on the right, there's still maybe a third of the population of the world who don't.

I can't even imagine the logistics and nationalistic bullshit which would arise from trying.

While desirable I don't see it being feasible to convince everyone to drive on the left.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Japan still had some towns with right-hand lane traffic until 1978.
http://www.730court.com/en/about/

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm just amused that Antarctica is somehow coloured in as drives-on-the-right. How would anyone even know.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just amused that Antarctica is somehow coloured in as drives-on-the-right. How would anyone even know.

McMurdo Station has a few roads so I guess that counts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NhvJ00Fgw&t=324s

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

iirc he US virgin islands drive opposite to the rest of the country, which is technically in violation of the Geneva Convention

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's minor but, was this really the best way to stack your pavement tiles?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can get ones which are on a reel and hang well above head height and just pull down when you need them.

But, whenever you have something plugged in you still have to deal with walking into the drat thing.

We had those in a few of the shops in college. They were much more heavy duty and were above the work benches. They were actually pretty handy. However, they were much more heavily built. Very heavy cabling and the body of the reel was all aluminum. They were probably put in in the 70s. There were also 240v reels with just a single twist to lock female end.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Huh, I actually have that Hozan set. I guess that was a pointless buy, and I should've just bought a quality Phillips set for my motorcycle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nielsm posted:

It's minor but, was this really the best way to stack your pavement tiles?

The only thing holding that top stack together is that the stones are pressing against each other and slightly overlapped.

God help the worker that takes all the stone off a single side first.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Trabant posted:

You, frugal: coupons in the car

Me, a true cheapskate: http://www.hfqpdb.com/gallery/free

(it contains all other coupons too)

Thank you!
Somehow I've never found that while Google searching for exactly that. At least the 20% off coupons are always easy to find on HF's site.

edit: and I bought a pair of JIS bits, marked as such, from an online bike shop last year. #2 and #3. I guess now a quality P2 bit will work fine. Ah, well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Robertson screws are spreading because pocket hole screws are Robertson, so everyone makes their knock-offs Robertson.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think everybody has that moment where they realize that Phillips screws are poo poo, despite being used in everything.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
True, it's just that those (thankfully rarer and rarer) run-ins with flatheads make you go "Ohhh, this could be way worse" and we happily go running back into Phillips' arms. Going from flathead to Phillips is a marked life improvement, whereas going from Phillips to insert your favourite here is still a would-be-nice for the most part.

I'm talking hobbyists and weekend warriors, of course. Someone actually in construction will probably make that leap beyond Phillips real quick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I honestly didn't know square/robertson was mostly a Canadian thing. It's almost 100% Robertson here on any construction site. If you're on a construction site in the US is it mostly the X ones that instantly strip the moment you look at them sideways?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Tunicate posted:

iirc he US virgin islands drive opposite to the rest of the country, which is technically in violation of the Geneva Convention

I think that's because of BVI. Which is also interesting in its own way because it's drive-on-the-left but also LHD cars because they're imported from the US (or similar) rather than UK because it's further away. I was worried about that when I was driving over there but it turned out not to be an issue, and traffic was so light and slow because the island we were on (Virgin Gorda) is tiny that it didn't matter a ton anyways.

Then I was worried about driving when I got back home again and that wasn't an issue either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shortspecialbus posted:

I think that's because of BVI. Which is also interesting in its own way because it's drive-on-the-left but also LHD cars because they're imported from the US (or similar) rather than UK because it's further away. I was worried about that when I was driving over there but it turned out not to be an issue, and traffic was so light and slow because the island we were on (Virgin Gorda) is tiny that it didn't matter a ton anyways.

Then I was worried about driving when I got back home again and that wasn't an issue either.

Yeah I've heard from tons of friends who had to move or spend time in Australia or Japan or something that the switch wasn't remotely as hard as they thought it would be and they got used to it extremely quickly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

If you're on a construction site in the US is it mostly the X ones that instantly strip the moment you look at them sideways?

No. At least not near me. Just about everyone is using start drive for everything (except drywall which, as I mentioned before is the perfect use case for phillips).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lanes are easy if you stay alert. Wipers and headlights will get mixed up at least once every time you switch sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Which screws have the square opening that I always end up jamming a cheap Phillips Head screwdriver into?