Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Combat Theory posted:

Bmw started being bad when they changed from E to F model codes and from M to N engine codes. Every car and powertrain before that had its highlights and redeeming features.

The F10, F20 (LCI) and F30 are great looking cars and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Also lol at the amount of garages who will not fix a puncture on any runflat even when you tell them a) its a slow puncture, b) the tyre has not deflated, and has only lost enough pressure to trigger the TPMS and had its air topped up, and c) the tyre hasn't been driven on while flat.

Found one who will at least. I cannot wait to be rid of these wretched things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Counterpoint

I actually think the e9x rear looks a lot better than the front, LCI or non-LCI. For some reason, the front just seems to swoop up a little too much to me. I know its only been recently that cars have trended toward flat fronts with a nearly 90* angle to the hood, but the e46 got it perfect IMO. Same with the e86, really the only part of the car's design I don't like.

The e46 front end is perfection.

I mean the entire car is perfection but the front especially.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The F10, F20 (LCI) and F30 are great looking cars and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Also lol at the amount of garages who will not fix a puncture on any runflat even when you tell them a) its a slow puncture, b) the tyre has not deflated, and has only lost enough pressure to trigger the TPMS and had its air topped up, and c) the tyre hasn't been driven on while flat.

Found one who will at least. I cannot wait to be rid of these wretched things.

It'll feel like a different car with proper tires. I'd get rid of the runflats as soon as you can and don't just wait till they're out of tread.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

JRay88 posted:

Ok guys I’ve been offered a 2015 X3 with 85k miles for an awesome price. Before I say yes what am I getting myself into? I’ve been looking for a small suv/crossover sized car off and on for awhile but haven’t done any research into BMWs so I have no clue what maintenance or anything would be like. It’s an xdrive28i. What can y’all tell me about it?

I have a 2008 3.0i X3 and I love it. Granted, I got mine at the point that some of the biggest things are starting to need attention, but even then, it hasn’t been that bad. It drives amazingly, it honestly feels like my 328xi sedan, just with more ride height. Maintenance can be a bit expensive, but there’s usually a garage somewhere nearby that will do work for way less than a dealership, so ask local BMW owners about that. Even with its age, my X3 has been more trouble-free than some of the other cars I’ve had in the past.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It'll feel like a different car with proper tires. I'd get rid of the runflats as soon as you can and don't just wait till they're out of tread.

What do you do in case of a flat? Carry a kit? Rely on AAA? Stick a spare in the trunk?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Uthor posted:

What do you do in case of a flat? Carry a kit? Rely on AAA? Stick a spare in the trunk?
Carry a kit / AAA / my insurance has towing. You could put a spare in the trunk I suppose, but if you do don't forget a jack and tools.

A lovely afternoon very infrequently is worth the rest of the time not riding on stupid tires. I've had one flat in the past 20 years and my e46 at the time did have a spare in the trunk. But I've broken down for other reasons too, and gotten a tow.

Do you carry a spare coolant system in your car? Because you're just as likely to be stranded by that in a BMW.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My issue is it wouldn't be an afternoon, it'd be a whole weekend and probably missed work. I drive a lot to and from Chicago on the weekends, which means driving through farm country where there are no near mechanics and nothing open. Getting a flat in town Wednesday afternoon isn't a big deal, getting one in the boonies on a Friday night is.

I got 100 mile towing, at least, but I know from experience that I can't get a rental car until Monday morning if I need one.

I'd hate to take up my hatch space with a spare. I've toyed with putting a tire on a roof rack, but it wouldn't do the car any favors in the looks department. Maybe if it was a beater Subaru, I could pull it off. Guess I could keep it in the garage and only bring it when I leave town.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Can second the run-flat thing. I recently got rid of them on my extremely handsome F30 and I’m just sad that I waited so long.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Not saying the F-gen BMWs can't look good but they don't have the drivetrain or chassis longevity to match it up and they are hopelessly bad constructions when it comes to servicing, durability and access. Putting them on a podium to admire is one thing but the machinery underneath is just not standing up to the brand heritage for me and at least for me a BMW was more about the hard machinery than the looks.

The F10 has double wishbones in the front which I like, but the car is too heavy to appreciate that from a dynamics perspective

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 17, 2019

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can't get any of my "220hp is enough for daily driving" sportscar owner friends to ever go driving on the canyons with me, I guess they don't want to have to look at the hideous rear end of my E9x M3

:(

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Netherlands/adjacent goons: I'm looking for some advice on BMW car hunting, specifically E92 M3s. I moved here a few months ago for work and I've searched around a bit on places like marktplaatz.nl, and the selection is pretty limited. Any guidance for bringing a car across from Germany? Are there any import places that specialize in doing this? Is it worth the hassle?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Continuing the looks debate: Then there are the Alpina models that make any BMW look much better and more exclusive.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ah, the Stutz Bearcat of the teutonic world. I see them all the time, they're extremely "Whatever" in the wild.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Combat Theory posted:

Not saying the F-gen BMWs can't look good but they don't have the drivetrain or chassis longevity to match it up and they are hopelessly bad constructions when it comes to servicing, durability and access. Putting them on a podium to admire is one thing but the machinery underneath is just not standing up to the brand heritage for me and at least for me a BMW was more about the hard machinery than the looks.

The F10 has double wishbones in the front which I like, but the car is too heavy to appreciate that from a dynamics perspective

Can’t speak for M models (or anything other than the 1 and 3 Series tbh) but from what I know the F20 and F30 are a huge step up from the E87 and E90 in terms of mechanical reliability, especially the LCI B series engines which by all accounts appear to be decent rock solid engines.

By contrast it seemed the E87 and E90 had a lot of trouble with engines blowing their timing chains up, or the E90 320d that had swirl flaps that liked to break off and get sucked into the engine. Or the E90 320i that loved to eat coil packs and injectors.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

I can't get any of my "220hp is enough for daily driving" sportscar owner friends to ever go driving on the canyons with me, I guess they don't want to have to look at the hideous rear end of my E9x M3

:shrug: I kind of agree with them. Most of us don't commute through backroads with no traffic and perfect tarmac. 220hp is plenty for sitting in traffic and listening to a podcast while dodging potholes.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Netherlands/adjacent goons: I'm looking for some advice on BMW car hunting, specifically E92 M3s. I moved here a few months ago for work and I've searched around a bit on places like marktplaatz.nl, and the selection is pretty limited. Any guidance for bringing a car across from Germany? Are there any import places that specialize in doing this? Is it worth the hassle?

Mobile.de

Yes it is. Importing cars from EU country to EU country is also fairly easy and you get preferential conditions as an export customer. Be aware though you won't get any used car warranty (which is mandatory in Germany for the German market)

You'll have to inform yourself about any import taxes specific to EU car imports. You only have to pay VAT once, but make sure to pay in the correct country.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stutz Bearcat

Holy poo poo, I never knew about the 70s revival. WTF

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Combat Theory posted:

Mobile.de

Yes it is. Importing cars from EU country to EU country is also fairly easy and you get preferential conditions as an export customer. Be aware though you won't get any used car warranty (which is mandatory in Germany for the German market)

You'll have to inform yourself about any import taxes specific to EU car imports. You only have to pay VAT once, but make sure to pay in the correct country.

I'll check that site out, thanks for the advice!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Can’t speak for M models (or anything other than the 1 and 3 Series tbh) but from what I know the F20 and F30 are a huge step up from the E87 and E90 in terms of mechanical reliability, especially the LCI B series engines which by all accounts appear to be decent rock solid engines.

By contrast it seemed the E87 and E90 had a lot of trouble with engines blowing their timing chains up, or the E90 320d that had swirl flaps that liked to break off and get sucked into the engine. Or the E90 320i that loved to eat coil packs and injectors.

Lots going on in this post,

Diesel wise the swirl flap eater is the M47 and it is propably the best diesel 4 cylinder bmw ever made. A swirl flap delete takes half a day of which most time gets consumed by cleaning the intake manifold which is a necessity on all direct injection engines with EGR (will be coming back to that)

The plug kit for the swirl flap holes can be had for :10bux: on eBay and there's no downsides to it (no mil, no power loss).

Apart from the flaps, the m47 will run half a million miles easy, it is simple to service and parts are cheap. In the pre e90 m47s you could even manually deactivate the EGR without recoding or a check engine light. On the last gen (e90, pre facelift e87) you had to recode a module to deactivate the EGR but it was still possible.

The successor, N47, is easily one of the worst engines ever made by BMW and that includes all generations. All generations have timing chain issues and all generations have to be removed from the engine bay to service the timing chain because the chain is on the gearbox side.

The early N47 additionally had permanent installed crankshaft sprockets so you had to swap crankshafts too if you wanna service the crappy chain drive.

The 320i was fired by an N46 and it never had coil packs (bmw never had coil packs in general, always individual ignition coils after the DME 3.1 in the M50 was introduced)

the N46 can have the odd crappy injector if you run high sulphur fuel (US) but it's a manifold pressure injection and like the ignition coils a replacement injector is pretty drat cheap aftermarket.

The n46 has one poo poo feature and that's valvetronic. The system is inherently flawed in all its design iterations in that wear on the excenter shaft results in rough idle, misfire and problematic cold running. No valvetronic has the ability to adjust for wear on the excenter shaft and they all essentially halfen the engine lifetime before a major overhaul (and they increase valve stem seal wear due to low friction speeds) bmw asks for 3500€ for a new valvetronic assembly at the minimum and that might happen every 60-100k miles.

After the N46 it gets really friggin grim because all gasoline engines are getting direct injection too, so now you face the same issues as the diesels, intake manifold sudding, intake port deposits, valve deposits and no chance to turn off the egr.
Aditionally to the diesels you have a higher chance of cooking a turbo, higher turbo repair cost and less lifetime on the high pressure fuel pump because gas makes for quite the lovely lubricant.

The reason there's not much to hear about the F-gen engines yet is because over 80 percent of those went to commercial and fleet customers and they don't report back when a turbo fries, a valvetronic dies or a HPFP shits the bed.

The B engines are everything with the added scrutiny of RDE emissions tests, so the EGR rates are through the roof.

I mean this isn't even just me rambling. BMW literally had to invent a machine to walnut grit spray intake ports because they couldn't keep up with disassembling coked up engines on warranty past the introduction of the direct injection/EGR combination (that's not a BMW special by the way, VW/Audi have the same problem on their TFSIs)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 17, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
E: nvm

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

200hp is enough for me to warp on e92 m3s :shrug:

first minute and twenty seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBaXVmiQ2Bo

you live in california, schedule a track day at chuckwalla or something, i'll drive out :)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Combat Theory posted:

Lots going on in this post,

Diesel wise the swirl flap eater is the M47 and it is propably the best diesel 4 cylinder bmw ever made. A swirl flap delete takes half a day of which most time gets consumed by cleaning the intake manifold which is a necessity on all direct injection engines with EGR (will be coming back to that)

The plug kit for the swirl flap holes can be had for :10bux: on eBay and there's no downsides to it (no mil, no power loss).

Apart from the flaps, the m47 will run half a million miles easy, it is simple to service and parts are cheap. In the pre e90 m47s you could even manually deactivate the EGR without recoding or a check engine light. On the last gen (e90, pre facelift e87) you had to recode a module to deactivate the EGR but it was still possible.

The successor, N47, is easily one of the worst engines ever made by BMW and that includes all generations. All generations have timing chain issues and all generations have to be removed from the engine bay to service the timing chain because the chain is on the gearbox side.

The early N47 additionally had permanent installed crankshaft sprockets so you had to swap crankshafts too if you wanna service the crappy chain drive.

The 320i was fired by an N46 and it never had coil packs (bmw never had coil packs in general, always individual ignition coils after the DME 3.1 in the M50 was introduced)

the N46 can have the odd crappy injector if you run high sulphur fuel (US) but it's a manifold pressure injection and like the ignition coils a replacement injector is pretty drat cheap aftermarket.

The n46 has one poo poo feature and that's valvetronic. The system is inherently flawed in all its design iterations in that wear on the excenter shaft results in rough idle, misfire and problematic cold running. No valvetronic has the ability to adjust for wear on the excenter shaft and they all essentially halfen the engine lifetime before a major overhaul (and they increase valve stem seal wear due to low friction speeds) bmw asks for 3500€ for a new valvetronic assembly at the minimum and that might happen every 60-100k miles.

After the N46 it gets really friggin grim because all gasoline engines are getting direct injection too, so now you face the same issues as the diesels, intake manifold sudding, intake port deposits, valve deposits and no chance to turn off the egr.
Aditionally to the diesels you have a higher chance of cooking a turbo, higher turbo repair cost and less lifetime on the high pressure fuel pump because gas makes for quite the lovely lubricant.

The reason there's not much to hear about the F-gen engines yet is because over 80 percent of those went to commercial and fleet customers and they don't report back when a turbo fries, a valvetronic dies or a HPFP shits the bed.

The B engines are everything with the added scrutiny of RDE emissions tests, so the EGR rates are through the roof.

I mean this isn't even just me rambling. BMW literally had to invent a machine to walnut grit spray intake ports because they couldn't keep up with disassembling coked up engines on warranty past the introduction of the direct injection/EGR combination (that's not a BMW special by the way, VW/Audi have the same problem on their TFSIs)

Rambling or not an informative effort post is always appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to do it.

You're quite right of course in that the carbon build up from direct injection isn't unique to BMW - the turbocharged Prince engine BMW developed with Citreon/Peugeot for use in the MINI suffered from the same issue (I had to take mine in for a walnut shell blasting at about 75,000 miles). My understanding is that in newer models it still happens but at a much slower rate - but I'm sure someone more informed than I can give a better answer on that.

I'm not sure what you say about the F generation engines is strictly true though. The pre LCI F20 and F30 used the same diesel engines as their predecessors, with the petrols using a variant of the prince engine and the N20. The common complaints and issues raised across the internet about these seems largely the same as the E87 & E90 to a somewhat lesser degree. The MINI R56 also used variants of the Prince engine and particular models such as the N14 acquired a well deserved reputation for horrendous reliability.

The F56 MINI launched with the B engines in early 2014 and when the respective LCI versions of the F20 and F30 came along in 2015 they also featured the same engines, and the general result seems to be a huge drop in the number of complaints and issues about the cars in question. Keeping in mind of course that fleet operators tend to stick with diesels and don't post on enthusiast forums, so that pretty much leaves the B38, B48 and B58. These engines have been in various cars across the range since 2014, so if there were any common reliability issues they would be well documented by this point. In addition as they're literally the same engine with varying cylinders chopped off I would have thought an issue that affects one would be visible across the whole range.

As for the diesels? The amount of poo poo crammed into diesel engines who knows good riddance.

Obviously my perception is based off my own anecdotal experience and research - I've made the decision to keep my F30 B48 320i (subject to reliability) once the term is up in 3 years based off the general consensus that they're good engines. If it had the N20 I'm not sure if I would do the same. As a former owner of an R56 N14 MINI Cooper S the words "timing chain" send a chill up my spine.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

You know what, thinking about it, I lack serious background info on the B engines, it's entirely possible you are on to something there and I have been too clouded about the N-Saga to perceive their successors as something actually improved. When the time comes I'll be giving those a try and maybe they do have what it takes to clock some serious mileage again.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

She’s back and with a sensible ride height. I’m a boring nerd now with a high car :(

Just need a wash and ready for the ring on Saturday

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

She’s back and with a sensible ride height. I’m a boring nerd now with a high car :(

This thread has been desperately short on e46 M3 content, this is very good.

Ride height looks great, about where I'm at.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

200hp is enough for me to warp on e92 m3s :shrug:

first minute and twenty seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBaXVmiQ2Bo

you live in california, schedule a track day at chuckwalla or something, i'll drive out :)

That doesn't seem like a very comfortable car to sit in traffic and listen to podcasts in!!

Nice driving though, an S2000 was on my list before I ended up with the E92, but it's even harder to find non-ragged versions of those these days. I wonder what you could do in a prepped M3. S2000 is definitely one of those cars that there's the "mutual appreciation of revs" thumbs up when you see a fellow driver on the street.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

any lower is downsy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

That doesn't seem like a very comfortable car to sit in traffic and listen to podcasts in!!

Nice driving though, an S2000 was on my list before I ended up with the E92, but it's even harder to find non-ragged versions of those these days. I wonder what you could do in a prepped M3. S2000 is definitely one of those cars that there's the "mutual appreciation of revs" thumbs up when you see a fellow driver on the street.

But it does have a radio and working AC ;)

I think this may be prepped similarly, or more so. (1:58:8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0la_AI2FGc
Based on the video, just guessing, I can see places to probably shed time. I think my car has a high 58 in it if I got a clean first two laps on a 60* morning, quicker if I had hoosiers.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 17, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

That ride height looks perfect, maybe even a bit too low. Any lower and you might as well go join those slammed VW guys.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bape Culture posted:

Man that’s a great color

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

beanieson posted:

Man that’s a great color

imola is up there with the best of red colors

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

This looks so good. They were a lot slower, but man I miss both of my red BMWs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

i love how your posts always have something e30 in them

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dope.

Bape Culture posted:

Dope

BraveUlysses posted:

dooooope

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We postin car pictures?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

your car always reminds me of the red chrome wrap in GT Sport, I don't know how you do it, but it is great

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

We postin car pictures?

Could you please remind me what type wheel that is?

dope

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cobalt60 posted:

Could you please remind me what type wheel that is?

dope

261 I believe. I had mine powder coated.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!