Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaphod42 posted:

Show Euron doesn't even have anything impressive about him going on. Ramsay at least felt like they were trying to one-up the cruelty of Joffrey, even if he wasn't as complex and interesting as Joffrey. But Euron isn't a one-up of Ramsay in any way... he's just some guy with ambition to be a pirate lord. So? In this world, that's basically saintly.

In the books he's ultra hardcore cruel and crazy, but the show hasn't gotten to any of that. Show Euron is more like Victarion than Euron.

Ramsay started off as a super good adaptation of some of the best stuff in Dance imho, it just got progressively more ridiculous the stronger his plot armour became once he had to start interacting with characters who weren't Theon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Show Ramsay started off better than book Ramsay because of his horn blowing trolling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Again, Iwan Rheon is just a great actor

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Again, Iwan Rheon is just a great actor

It is known.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The writers need just 20 good men and then they’ll be able to salvage this shitshow.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The show is still at least competent looking. Just avoid making another episode like 706, and I will at least be content until the end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
explain poop ending

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

explain poop ending

There were 'spoilers' leaked right as last season ended, which are incredibly unlikely to be true but I'll spoiler anyway so no one gets huffy That Dany dies and Cersai/Euron hangs her corpse up in kings landing for the peasants to throw poop at

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Goons Are Great posted:

Honestly wondering if that's the case because he thought, nah, let's not leak more yet, or because he just hasn't done the subtitles yet and all of Spain is waiting for that one guy in his basement doing them in one weed infested night.

All other spoilers found so were seemed inaccurate regarding that the first episode was already way off those in various degrees, so it appears we actually have to wait for this to happen, for now. :smith:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/9garcr

I looked into this some more, and apparently FrikiDoctor isn't the actual translator, but just some guy with a lot of connections. Last year's detailed leaks came from a source who is no longer available. I guess that was the translator.

This year's episode 1 leak came from a guy who attended an early premiere event, and the Tyrion stuff is from people who witnessed the filming in Seville: https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/9g4str/frikidoctor_leak_megathread_vol_2/

Sadly, it does not seem like we will be getting detailed episode synopses in advance this year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm more disappointed about the lack of spoilers than anything else....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

We can still get the poop ending, you just have to believe! Maybe the peasants will pelt Tyrion with poo!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm more disappointed about the lack of spoilers than anything else....

What is rotten can never spoil.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

We can still get the poop ending, you just have to believe! Maybe the peasants will pelt Tyrion with poo!

The Poop ending is real.

poo poo, does that mean we now have to actually watch this show instead of reading the spoilers?

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Show Euron doesn't even have anything impressive about him going on. Ramsay at least felt like they were trying to one-up the cruelty of Joffrey, even if he wasn't as complex and interesting as Joffrey. But Euron isn't a one-up of Ramsay in any way... he's just some guy with ambition to be a pirate lord. So? In this world, that's basically saintly.

In the books he's ultra hardcore cruel and crazy, but the show hasn't gotten to any of that. Show Euron is more like Victarion than Euron.

Well, Ramsay was cool at first because a good actor played him too. He was too one note to keep on as long as he did.
Show Euron is lacking any of the cool mythology of Victarion or Euron from the books. Stannis is a good example of a character in the show that wasn't exactly likable at first, but was compelling and seemed realistic in his convictions. Could have used some of that for Euron instead of boring Jack Sparrow guy.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I went and found the poop spoilers link from the old thread and you have to be... generous with changes made but I unno keep hope alive.

http://www.desinerd.co.in/game-of-thrones-season-8-leaks-spoilers/

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I love how Littlefinger got kangaroo courted last season and now Jaime, perphaps the most unanimously hated person across the seven kingdoms, will get a fair trial and not be insta-shanked by Arya.

Also, I know that they kept bringing up the dragons not having enough food and being hungry last episode as a plot device to have Rhaegon gibbed early against the NK (gotta save that CGI after all), but I kept thinking that they were setting up Ghost getting chomped off screen as an excuse to have more Jon/Dany drama (plus also saving up on pesky wolf CGI!)

kater posted:

I went and found the poop spoilers link from the old thread and you have to be... generous with changes made but I unno keep hope alive.

http://www.desinerd.co.in/game-of-thrones-season-8-leaks-spoilers/

Next episode is the trial, and after that they have only 4 episodes to resolve 2 fights that have been hyped up for 8 years plus the epilogue. Knowing D&D they don't have either the writing talent nor the resources management to have a 3 way fight, so most likely they will resolve 1 of the fights in one episode, have a breather episode, and then the other fight in episode 5, which is a really lovely wrap up for 8 years of build up.

Poop ending is the only way. They have written themselves into a corner, at least go down with a blast

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 17, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol look at these poor bastards on Reddit thinking for a moment that this show is clever and deeper than a puddle and getting excited.

My Night King Is Not Stupid Theory

11k upvotes and 2 Reddit gold just today.

No the White Walkers are gonna go out like a wet fart by episode 4 and the rest will be spent dealing with Mary Sue Slay Queen Cersei.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh no, I'm sure there will be some kind of amazing twist in the end that will prove how amazing and deep it all is. We just can't see it yet and thus don't appreciate the movement towards it.

Now give me reddit gold, tia.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Poop ending honestly sounds bizarrely plausible from what that link said, did the first ep from that leak match up at all?

e: Like the poo stuff is basically the only absurd element, aside from one MAJOR thing conflicting with other spoilers it all sounds basically on the money for what I expect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The poop Ending would be totally on message because Dany is an evil power hungry rear end in a top hat

But GRRM might like her too much to do that

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Poop ending honestly sounds bizarrely plausible from what that link said, did the first ep from that leak match up at all?

e: Like the poo stuff is basically the only absurd element, aside from one MAJOR thing conflicting with other spoilers it all sounds basically on the money for what I expect

Poop ending was from a way earlier leak iirc. I don't know if the spoilers match.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Episode 1 description from that particular leak 2 years ago did not seem to match up super well. It hit a few things that you could guess, but it is possible that there were changes in the 2 years since they got the scripts?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poop ending was from a way earlier leak iirc. I don't know if the spoilers match.

Someone posted it just up the page and the episode 1 spoilers are so laughably bad and clearly made up having seen the actual episode 1 that I honestly don't know how anyone could still be holding out hope for the poop ending.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at spending millions of dollars on dragon cgi for a decade only to have them all whiff out early because animating a full dragon fight is too hard

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The only thing the show innovated that was a clear improvement on the books was Hardhome, which was a masterful episode of television that I wish the show leaned into more often.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

The only thing the show innovated that was a clear improvement on the books was Hardhome, which was a masterful episode of television that I wish the show leaned into more often.

How was that an improvement? It would have no place in the books because it was filled with stupid action movie tropes and consequence-free, crowd pleasing conflict.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Mike N Eich posted:

Arya hanging out with Tywin instead of Roose at Harrenhal was really good

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just realised that next episode, outside of Bran (whom he pushed from a window in episode 1) and Jon (whom he mocked for joining the Night's Watch in episode 2), Jaime has had no interaction with the Stark children at all and will be pleading them and Daenerys (whose father he killed) to let him join their alliance of good

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 18, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

It's kind of interesting that when they had GRMM's writing to fall back on they tended to write better stuff, but without GRMM's guidance they have flailed about.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mullitt posted:

How was that an improvement? It would have no place in the books because it was filled with stupid action movie tropes and consequence-free, crowd pleasing conflict.

lol jesus christ

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hardhome was a great episode but felt weird to me as a bookfriend. Hardhome being left up to a couple lines and leaving the rest to your imagination was spoopy as hell, while the episode lacked the horror I wanted from it.

It also just felt silly to have Jon go there and survive. In the book it's p much a suicide mission for most of the people he sends.

Also 'dead things in the water' was a dope scary thing but in the show I guess the Others and Wights are scared of water or smth

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah I was expecting some ‘they don’t need to swim’ line but nope guess water is totes safe.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Honestly that was a terrible switch , completely changes the Tywin character. In the books he never even smiles at anyone but in the show he's going to pal up with some peasant girl and laugh when she gives him lip?

The scene with the tickler and Hot Pie and the dude that stares at him everyday was a good addition in the show though

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Typical Goon posted:

Honestly that was a terrible switch , completely changes the Tywin character. In the books he never even smiles at anyone but in the show he's going to pal up with some peasant girl and laugh when she gives him lip?

The scene with the tickler and Hot Pie and the dude that stares at him everyday was a good addition in the show though

I loved the scenes but agree with you tbh. It also cost us precious time with Roose who owns and was cast about as perfectly as Tywin was.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol look at these poor bastards on Reddit thinking for a moment that this show is clever and deeper than a puddle and getting excited.

My Night King Is Not Stupid Theory

11k upvotes and 2 Reddit gold just today.

No the White Walkers are gonna go out like a wet fart by episode 4 and the rest will be spent dealing with Mary Sue Slay Queen Cersei.

That would actually be so good. I agree it's unlikely to happen though.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CODChimera posted:

That would actually be so good. I agree it's unlikely to happen though.

We should have a GoT Dissapointment drinking game. For example for next episode take a shot if:

- Tyrion makes a "haha no balls" joke
- Bran bails Jaime out by revealing that the Mad King was planning to burn the city (instead of Brienne doing this)
- Ghost is not mentioned
- Daenerys makes no reference how she ended up sacrificing a dragon for nothing now that the Lannister army is not coming
- Euron gloats about loving the queen

Chug the remainer of the bottle once it becomes obvious that the NK is in fact not going to King's Landing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PINK MAST

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol apparently Gendry and Arya are gonna gently caress tonight

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That was a given after they occasionally met last time.
Any spoilers up already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol apparently Gendry and Arya are gonna gently caress tonight

Oh dear.