Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't had any particular issues with vehicle physics as long as I build ramps to foundations, or at least make sure there aren't sharp edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I have them bounce around when passing over the edges between two foundations all the time while driving on them. I make any roads at least two wide because of it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I like to make my bridges/roads just one foundation wide, but use catwalks as extensions and guard railings on either side. Makes it look all nice n pretty, which is the most important thing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Jawnycat posted:

I like to make my bridges/roads just one foundation wide, but use catwalks as extensions and guard railings on either side. Makes it look all nice n pretty, which is the most important thing.

Oh, that's a good idea. I need to use catwalks more, I always forget they are there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

necrotic posted:

It frustrates me that vehicles bounce around when crossing over foundation borders. I hope they either fix that or add proper paving that doesn't have the issue.

This is part of why I want actual roads at some point, if only because I need to do something with the shitload of concrete I have lying around before trains get added and I can just go apeshit laying tracks everywhere.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

necrotic posted:

It frustrates me that vehicles bounce around when crossing over foundation borders. I hope they either fix that or add proper paving that doesn't have the issue.

You can solve that problem by building ramps on the edges that go underground, so it's always a gentle transition.

Tenebrais posted:

I'd suggest just embracing a sloppy factory. Fit your machines with the contours of the ground and entangle them in belt spaghetti.
You're much less at odds with the environment in this game and you don't need to worry about making your construction defensible, so experiment with different factory styles that don't work well in Factorio.

You can solve that problem by ripping up your existing factories and rebuilding them to be prettier. Since the removal tool refunds 100% of your construction materials (and any that are being stored or carried), you aren't at risk of losing anything at all. There's no reason not to rip it all up and rebuild when you want.

CJacobs posted:

I would argue that's even worse because it's pretty clear what they're supposed to be evocative of, yet they're not unique enough to not just be considered the same as the thing that inspired them.

edit: I do concede that I was being hyperbolic when I called them Just Spiders, though. It's not like Bloodborne or EDF where they really are just big spiders except in a video game and room sized.

My point is that the developers clearly know very well that this one enemy sticks out among the rest of them as a potential problem and yet they did not go back to the drawing board on it because it fulfills the simple niche it's supposed to: It pops up out of nowhere, crawls on walls, it's almost silent, it runs right at you and screeches in dark areas and it comes by the dozen. It's a video game spider enemy and that's all video game spiders ever do. Effective within that niche, sure, but far too cheap to give them any points for creativity.

You can solve that problem by not being a little bitch about spiders.

Fake Edit: Okay, but seriously. There's nothing wrong with having a scary swarmy enemy, and spider-likes are just fine for that role. The fact that they added an easy option to make them not look like the thing some people have a phobia about is extra good on them, because it wasn't a moral obligation but they did it anyway. The inane "they could have just taken them out completely" argument is dumb, because they could have just taken EVERY enemy out, and the game would be the lesser for it. Take your silly drat kitties or kill the loving bugs.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
tbh the entire combat portion of the game isn't really particularly interesting as far as core gameplay loop goes, it basically just makes exploration somewhat more interesting. the wildlife isn't even very dangerous (especially once you get blade runners) and health stuff is plentiful. my only real complaint about spiders is that the creepy-crawly sound keeps playing even after you killed the last one.

it is cool when you discover some new enemy you hadn't seen before, there are a few that seem to only exist in specific biomes. i thought i had seen everything until i was suddenly duking it out with something that spits green fire at me

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Is it just me or is the rebar gun worthless?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

nah it's worthless. The big zapper does at least 5x the damage and once you realize every enemy is trivialized just by jumping over their heads you can kill pretty much anything without even taking damage

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supposedly real guns will show up later but it's clear that the rebar gun is just what the company figured they could give you with as few resources as possible.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

VegasGoat posted:

I can't hit anything with the rebar gun. It feels like the projectile hitbox is a few feet to the left of where the projectile model or something.

Plus I need those two inventory spaces for construction materials.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

You can solve that problem by building ramps on the edges that go underground, so it's always a gentle transition.

Not the transition on or off, just driving over a row of foundations.

I fried my PC so I can't take a quick video to show what I mean.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. I just discovered a nice hub milestone exploit. Fill the materials for milestone x. Without submitting it, go fill the materials for milestone y. Submit either of them. Go look at the other one (while the pod still says 'will return in x'). It will let you hit the button. Boom, you just submitted two milestones that normally would take 10-20+ minutes.

TLDR: Submit all materials first, then hit the buttons for all of them sequentially.

(yes I'm aware that recipe unlocks don't incur the cooldown. The milestones I tested this with were Oil Processing and Industrial Manufacturing.)

e. reloaded an earlier save to try this again. I just submitted 5 different milestones in 10 seconds thanks to material prefills. ahhahahaha

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding of "arachnophobia mode" was that it wasn't planned at all: one of the environment designers or something is afraid of spiders, so he quickly coded it in so he could work on areas with spiders in them. Then they went ahead and made his code publicly accessible because it's silly and worked so they didn't have much reason not to.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm watching a speedrun and it's sad how hand crafting everything is the most speed efficient.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I'm watching a speedrun and it's sad how hand crafting everything is the most speed efficient.

A speedrun to a later stage would ultimately build more automation. When you automate, you're paying a one time cost of resources (not only the cost of the items to build it, but also the time that goes into placing it) in order to get resources over time. The run needs to go long enough for building that building to pay for itself.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

necrotic posted:

Not the transition on or off, just driving over a row of foundations.

From what I can tell foundations don't join together perfectly which is why the game sometimes throws a fit about you trying to build on the spot 2 of them meet, and also pairs nicely with the truck's tendency to fire itself into space if it hits a piece of geometry wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

tbh the entire combat portion of the game isn't really particularly interesting as far as core gameplay loop goes, it basically just makes exploration somewhat more interesting. the wildlife isn't even very dangerous (especially once you get blade runners) and health stuff is plentiful. my only real complaint about spiders is that the creepy-crawly sound keeps playing even after you killed the last one.

it is cool when you discover some new enemy you hadn't seen before, there are a few that seem to only exist in specific biomes. i thought i had seen everything until i was suddenly duking it out with something that spits green fire at me

I'm hoping the map site adds enemy spawn zones at some point, or at least where giant enemies are. In the area where my oil pump is I had to kill 2 giant fire spitters and a giant fluffhog and those were probably the most fun the combat's been because I was doing more than just running up and whacking them with my basher 2-3 times. Hopefully it does get expanded on with weapon types and movement options if they're going to get serious about making it A Thing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 17, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

From what I can tell foundations don't join together perfectly which is why the game sometimes throws a fit about you trying to build on the spot 2 of them meet, and also pairs nicely with the truck's tendency to fire itself into space if it hits a piece of geometry wrong.

Yeah, I'm hoping they smooth out that geometry. It's absurd that I can't place conveyors in between two foundations, but I can put a pole and then attach the conveyor to that.

I just found out I did not fry my gaming rig, which is very exciting. I just have to reapply thermal paste and I can finally get back into my game :toot:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally hit the point as I do in every construction game where I just build a god drat skybridge.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

VegasGoat posted:

I feel like a lot of the non-factory building tech stuff in this game is just put in to mess around with and have some fun and not really balanced for effectiveness, which is perfectly fine and fits the developer's pedigree as the Goat Sim guys. The rebar gun is best if your goal is to resurrect a fallen buddy in multiplayer and then immediately kill them accidentally when you're trying to fight off an alien. It's also good for trolling friends working on a high scaffold by sending them flying in ragdoll.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like the rebar gun for shooting the aliens with the long range spit that knocks you back. trying to hit them in melee is frequently frustrating, shooting them is often fairly easy

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I tried shooting the spitters once, and it seemed to me it kept dodging my shots. I've had much better luck with the sword, especially combined with the blade runners.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nielsm posted:

I tried shooting the spitters once, and it seemed to me it kept dodging my shots. I've had much better luck with the sword, especially combined with the blade runners.

The trick is to wait for the spitter to stop and start charging the flame attack, then fire, dodge, wait. Or lead them as they run. I've gotten fairly good at landing rebar gun shots, once I figured out the arc of fire. And it's quite accurate within that arc.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I used to shoot at the spitters, but they seemed so hard to hit. I found it a much better strategy to get into melee range but with a tree between me and the spitter.

Now a use I did find for the rebar gun was taking out those crab fairy pods from a distance. If you're not close enough to aggro them the bugs hang completely still in the air and are surprisingly easy pickings.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So in order to build a ramp you have to constantly switch between a ramp piece, a flat piece to put under/next to that ramp piece, then another ramp, and repeat. Am I the only person to find this extremely tedious and annoying? I'm asking before I submit it as a "this is dumb, please fix it" task. If they're gonna give us the ability to build large ramps, just let the ramps directly connect in a rampy action, right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you're building for trucks then yeah, ramps are annoying. For walking, build one foundation and then walkways, since those connect directly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You're better off building your block foundation first then filling in the gaps with ramps.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Building my long truck path to move my oil around took about 2 hours for a route that takes about 3 minutes to drive because of all the ramps I needed. It was pretty tedious.

I think I'm done playing until the next content update, I wanted to start playing about with Caterium after finding a small deposit of it while looking for more oil but the only nearby vein of it has those giant rocks on it we probably need explosives to deal with so hopefully that stuff comes in with the next update.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

I think I'm done playing until the next content update, I wanted to start playing about with Caterium after finding a small deposit of it while looking for more oil but the only nearby vein of it has those giant rocks on it we probably need explosives to deal with so hopefully that stuff comes in with the next update.

Build portable miners on the exposed part of the node and manually empty the miners into a storage container once in a while. It's not continuous flow but still lets you get decent amounts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

njsykora posted:

Building my long truck path to move my oil around took about 2 hours for a route that takes about 3 minutes to drive because of all the ramps I needed. It was pretty tedious.

According to the roadmap the sulphur research chain is coming in the next big update so it likely will be. Although are you in the Grasslands? If so the next nearest node to that one isn't too far away and is pure, though it's a bit awkward to get to.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I uh have a confession to make, I am on the max tier of the current beta and built a super factory for super computers. I just learned that you can combine power plants to make a combined power grid, at some point early on I thought you couldn't so I've been calculating exactly like 150mw per fuel power plant for each of my power grids.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:shepface:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

socialsecurity posted:

I uh have a confession to make, I am on the max tier of the current beta and built a super factory for super computers. I just learned that you can combine power plants to make a combined power grid, at some point early on I thought you couldn't so I've been calculating exactly like 150mw per fuel power plant for each of my power grids.

Jesus, warn me before you reveal something so horrible, I almost looked right at it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I gotta doubt on that one, if only for my own sanity's sake. You never accidentally severed a line and reconnected it elsewhere, accidentally connecting two power networks?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

socialsecurity posted:

I assume you've been creating periodic manual saves? Please upload the latest one before you realized this.. I wanna see your glorious separated power networks.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Evilreaver posted:

I gotta doubt on that one, if only for my own sanity's sake. You never accidentally severed a line and reconnected it elsewhere, accidentally connecting two power networks?

He probably did, and then the power went out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bondematt posted:

He probably did, and then the power went out.

Yeah I think early on I built too much and combined the two power plants on the hub and guess that caused it. Overall it's not been so bad except for that while on coal power where some buildings needed 55mw I have had to overclock the power plant. I started combining my power plants now but it's been so long and the factories so big it's hard to even figure out how to hook then together. I guess geothermal plants make more sense now too.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I had just come from Oxygen Not Included, so I also split my main base into separate power grids for about the first 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
You can climb up the sides of a stackable conveyor pole.