Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ignis posted:

As self-proclaimed leader of the "Shunpei wasn't THAT bad" brigade I can say with confidence that Shunpei was much worse than Onari ever was

Ghost needed more Onari backstory

Onari was one of the singular shining characters of Ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

John McClane posted:

Did y'all see the summary for the Ghost Novel?

It like, triples down on the bullshit from the Specter movie.

it turns out Chloe has the spirit/memory/essence of Takeru' mom in her, and he uses the mugen eyecon to restore his mom to life from inside her, at the cost of half his life

So then he marries chloe and dies of his third heart attack at 38, before haunting his son disguised as the Sage in order to...give him courage??? I dunno

I watched the Specter movie and I have absolutely no memory of that character. Jesus, what an awful movie it was. And that book sounds both bad and creepy, good lord, who thought that was a good order of events?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I watched the Specter movie and I have absolutely no memory of that character. Jesus, what an awful movie it was. And that book sounds both bad and creepy, good lord, who thought that was a good order of events?

I'll be honest with you I don't think I've heard of a single novel related to Kamen Rider that wasn't a horrible stanky mess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is Trinity the final form for Zi-O

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Magazine scans have another form closer to his (alternate) future self.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is Trinity the final form for Zi-O

Nah, episode 30 is (slightly) too early for that. There'll probably be another form around episode 36.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, episode 30 is (slightly) too early for that. There'll probably be another form around episode 36.

That's what I figured, but he's had so many fuckin power uos I lost track

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This guy, apparently.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's what I figured, but he's had so many fuckin power uos I lost track

He hasn't gone beyond the norm for modern Riders really, Bandai just needs that torrent of toys to sell nowadays.

Hell, only going one series back, Build was roughly the same if we're only counting actual power-ups: Sparkling, Hazard, RabbitRabbit/TankTank, Genius. Four super modes, just like Zi-O has Decade (and corresponding final forms), Zi-O II, Trinity, and then Grand.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trinity doesn't look nearly goofy enough to be DCD Complete's successor.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Wearing both your boyfriends as pauldrons is however, a goofy enough concept to help the fact it doesn't look goofy enough.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I still think Woz and Geiz's relationship reveal was pretty anticlimactic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

coconono posted:

I still think Woz and Geiz's relationship reveal was pretty anticlimactic.

It's important to remember that we're still missing details. We don't know why Woz betrayed them yet.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
sougou's poo poo eating grin when he moves the clock hand in the trinity fight makes me love him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2019/04/tsuburaya-reveals-ultraman-taiga-tv-series/

Ultraman Taiga starts in June. The lead character transforms into three different Ultraman characters, who all reside within him. One of those Ultras, Taiga, is the son of Ultraman Taro.

One of the Ultras, Fuma, comes from the same planet as R/B and Orb. Titas, the big ol swole dude, comes from the same planet as the Ultras from the 1979 Sunrise animated The Ultraman anime series.

The transformation item is the Taiga Spark (it's basically just a slightly remolded Gekichanger) and uses the Ultra Taiga Accessory items, which are all based on items such as bracelets, rings, and key chains. So far it doesn't seem like there are any previous Ultras featured on the main items for the TV series.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Huh, for the first time it's a single host that can transform into three different Ultras; before you had to combine Ultras to get different ones (like R/B into Ruebe)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's important to remember that we're still missing details. We don't know why Woz betrayed them yet.

I'm 99% sure it's going to be something like "Oma Zi-O admitted our future is hosed, so he had me pretend to betray everyone and go along with his plan to go back in time and guide his future self to not be an ambiguously evil tyrant." Based on what we've seen from Woz and his actions, he might be immoral and of dubious character but he isn't straight up evil.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Catching up on Zi-O after being incredibly behind, and the Gaim arc steps up pretty incredibly when it comes to gags. The way everyone gets fed up with Sougo's poo poo here is amazing.

e:

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 18, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Blaze Dragon posted:

There better be kissing involved. No one hates each other that much unless there was kissing involved.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'll be honest with you I don't think I've heard of a single novel related to Kamen Rider that wasn't a horrible stanky mess.

I dunno, I thought the OOO novel giving Ankh some backstory and parallels to Eiji (even if he'll never admit to it) was pretty nice. He just wanted to grant the blind girls wish :smith:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have the next Rider tribute after Agito. It's Hibiki. Though, sadly, Hibiki himself is not back. We do get Todoroki though, so this is still better than the Fourze tribute.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I'm about two-thirds of the way through W? The big main rider power up has been found and Weather Guy is probably going to die in the next two-parter, but is this the show's low point or what? It has it's moments, but it's unfortunate that so much of the comic relief relies on undercutting tension. I think Akiko annoys me because I would absolutely just dig a straightfaced noir Kamen Rider show that keeps comedy to DVD extras and fan club specials. Although the dreamworld two-parter was good, in part because the production and filming crews went through a lot of work in finding location, doing hair and makeup, etc.

I've seen some funny stuff from Drive and the like over the years, but man it's clear that Dan Kuroto taught the writer's room a thing or two about how to produce comedy in the age of the GIF.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 21, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Unfortunately there's no curing Akiko in this series. As far as I can remember she doesn't have a saving moment some of the recent comic reliefs had.

Her slipper gag never really worked for me either. :shrug:

If weather is still around then there are still a bunch of highlights to come. :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like w well enough, but yeah, it's not especially funny despite the mostly light-hearted tone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, there's just nothing funny about Akiko, and her gag never changes and just continues forever, even in post-series stuff like V-Cinema: Accel. It's sad because there's a good character there, but it's completely overshadowed by a really, really terrible attempt at comedy.

That said, it's nowhere near enough to stop Riku Sanjo from being one of the more beloved writers Super Hero Time's ever had, and Toei's clearly aware of it considering he keeps getting work:
https://twitter.com/GenmCorp/status/1119895712341192704

Also...

Turns out we do get the main Rider. But it's...Yuuto? I didn't watch Hibiki, someone explain this to me please. Also, please have Yuuto appear in the inevitable Den-O episodes just to point this out as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

Turns out we do get the main Rider. But it's...Yuuto? I didn't watch Hibiki, someone explain this to me please. Also, please have Yuuto appear in the inevitable Den-O episodes just to point this out as well.

Hooo boy. Well then. In Hibiki he's Kiriya. He's one of the new characters introduced after the big episode 30 change. He wants to train under Hibiki but Hibiki doesn't want him to, stuff happens, eventually he becomes an Oni and a student under Hibiki. Since Asumu decided not to become an Oni and instead become a doctor, I guess this means Kiriya is the new Hibiki.

I mean, yeah, there was no way we were going to get the original Hibiki back, and I guess this is better than "some guy seen from the back" like they did with Haruto and Gentaro in the Wizard/Fourze arcs, but oof, forcing us to swallow more of the post-30 Hibiki stuff is rough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Should have brought back Kid Hibiki from Decade

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
They really should just make AR Decade the canon one. I mean, I'd miss Shigeki Hosokawa as Hibiki, he was fantastic, but it seems like the second half of the show really just left him sour on Rider and the odds of him coming back are gone at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve said it before, Decade Hibiki is arguably better than regular Hibiki and I kind of wish we’d gotten that show instead.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

They really should just make AR Decade the canon one. I mean, I'd miss Shigeki Hosokawa as Hibiki, he was fantastic, but it seems like the second half of the show really just left him sour on Rider and the odds of him coming back are gone at this point.

He's said he's willing to come back if they got back the staff he worked under, but the original producer of Hibiki, Takatera, was so burned and depressed by it, he went and made an entirely seperate tokusatsu series, Daimajin Kanon, that is largely metaphorically about being incredibly depressed about being betrayed and kicked off Hibiki.

That's even him admitting it in interviews, apparently:

quote:

Takatera admits that Kanon is a character loosely modeled on himself. It is not difficult to find parallels between Kanon’s fictional struggle with the Prayer Song and “To the Top,” and the real life incident in which Takatera was dismissed from the production of MASKED RIDER HIBIKI.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Ouch. I've never seen Hibiki, but that's really rough to have the dude who replaced the original actor coming back to Zi-O, which is produced by Shirakura, the producer who retooled second half Hibiki. :staredog:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 21, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Ouch. I've never seen Hibiki, but that's really rough to have the dude who replaced the original actor coming back to Zi-O, which is produced by Shirakura, the producer who retooled second half Hibiki. :staredog:

Yeah... I'm just hoping since the actor who played Kiriya (who didn't replace Hibiki and Asamu in the show, but was the annoying writer focus character) is also the one who played Yuto Sakurai/KR Zeronos in Den-O (the actor isn't bad, he just had really bad material in Hibiki) we get at least one bit of him being embarrassed about how horrible he was as a teen. It'd make it incredibly worth it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Getting some original actors will be downright miracle, especially Odagiri or Mizushima if their arcs happen Oma gave at least Kabuto down the line, should confirm if Kuuga was in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GuyUpNorth posted:

Getting some original actors will be downright miracle, especially Odagiri or Mizushima if their arcs happen Oma gave at least Kabuto down the line, should confirm if Kuuga was in it.

Mizushima has said he wanted to appear in Heisei Generations Forever so it's entirely possible he'll be back for the Kabuto arc. Sadly, I can't say the same of Odagiri, entirely because Sougo already has the Kuuga Ridewatch from the aforementioned movie, so there's no reason whatsoever to have a Kuuga arc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly if they did have a Kuuga come back it would make more sense for the Decade version to be the one who shows up

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It'll almost certainly be the Decade version of Kuuga; the guy who played the original Kuuga hates toku. Which is a real shame because Godai is one of the kindest Riders

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly, I can't say the same of Odagiri, entirely because Sougo already has the Kuuga Ridewatch from the aforementioned movie, so there's no reason whatsoever to have a Kuuga arc.

Pretty much. Odagiri's sole other Tokusatsu role besides Kuuga I know of is a cameo in Kuuga/Hibiki crew reunion (seriously, there's so many producers, writers, and directors from those two shows its astonishing) Daimajin Kanon, where he shows up in the last episode as the main character's brother. He's also in the "will only reappear if Takatera is involved, and Takatera won't go anywhere near Shirakura" camp.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Heisei Generations Forever was the Kuuga arc

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Zi-O 31: So Tsukuyomi has had amnesia this whole time and they just never bothered to bring it up. That's an odd choice, curious where they're going with that. Hopefully her Time Jacker reminiscent power leads to a belt instead of just...being able to stop time sometimes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'm about two-thirds of the way through W? The big main rider power up has been found and Weather Guy is probably going to die in the next two-parter, but is this the show's low point or what? It has it's moments, but it's unfortunate that so much of the comic relief relies on undercutting tension. I think Akiko annoys me because I would absolutely just dig a straightfaced noir Kamen Rider show that keeps comedy to DVD extras and fan club specials.

The way Rider TV has gone lately you're much more likely to get the exact opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Hosokawa's blacklisted for being a general dick, if memory serves, so he was never gonna return. Asumu's actor is retired, and as much as I hate to admit, it'd make no sense story wise if he returned as Hibiki, given how the show ended. drat you Kida.

The one I'm surprised didn't return is Ibuki, he's in Ryusoulger and all