Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As a life long smoker.

No.

What? Have you ever even seen someone smoking in a movie?

What?

I’m just adding to the pile of not making sense but gently caress that was so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
In fact here's a couple more shots from Zak's masterpiece 'We Eat Blood And All Our Friends Are Dead', regarding the trans vampire prostitute (named after a trans creator he's tried to harass out of the industry) who eats people for not being woke enough.

:nws: and :nms: text, so linked instead of previewed.

https://imgur.com/Ne3hqi1

https://imgur.com/5yEiIi5

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The per-word rate for that should be in something other than money.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Welp I guess The Fantasy Trip was the last SJG product I'll be backing/buying for a while. I mean, loving seriously? Well, it's not like I was a devoted customer of theirs anyway, I just like learning about the history of the hobby.

I'm not in an y way up to date with what's going on. What's wrong with Steve Jackson Games?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comstar posted:

I'm not in an y way up to date with what's going on. What's wrong with Steve Jackson Games?

SJG announced they were partnering with Frog God Games to make adventures for The Fantasy Trip.

The CEO of Frog God is Bill Webb, who's known for getting drunk and harassing women at conventions, with one incident going very public as a witness spoke about it, much as there was an attempt to cover it up.

People called them (SJG) out for it on their kickstarter and they went from 'we know nothing about it' to 'well we read a forum thread on enworld and we don't care, you can have a partial refund if you want'.

And now today Phil Reed, the CEO, is trying to say that the real offence is in even raising Webb's harassment up again, and that they're hiding behind the victim out of respect for her and other such bullshit.

If they'd just handled it a little better at the time, it wouldn't have been an issue, instead they hosed up their communications on it, and are now doubling down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

In fact here's a couple more shots from Zak's masterpiece 'We Eat Blood And All Our Friends Are Dead', regarding the trans vampire prostitute (named after a trans creator he's tried to harass out of the industry) who eats people for not being woke enough.

Why would a Kindred care about any of that.

(I know, Zak's a terrible writer. We are all mere Tipper Gores for not understanding his Great Work)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

Ericksson wants to run the company like he's Mark Rein*Hagen in the heyday of the 90's again. Where you could make a character that was a gay transsexual nazi murderer and people would clap and go "Wow, thank you for acknowledging that gays exist." despite the fact that the character was problematic as gently caress.

Whereas it's 2019 and you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really can't do that.

There was a sort of overtone of "we're bringing back everything you loved* about the 90s!"

*We mean everything we loved about 90s Vampire LARPs

That Old Tree posted:

The blog post itself was also just…not great? At best. It had a couple of things that were just flat-out wrong, like Zak being part of GamerGate, which then undermines its use as anything worthwhile concerning stuff that's actually true. It also kept waffling around with this weird "now I'm not specifically saying nWW is Nazis, they are probably just unfortunately out-of-touch edgelords, but here is something bad they did and they did it to specifically appeal to Nazis."

That's true. It was full of just enough holes and logical fallacies that it was easy to dismiss as a deliberate smear or lies. The bad press from it did apparently make some people at Paradox or nuWW pay attention, but it was a mess altogether.

Kai Tave posted:

Let's please not forget Martin Ericsson's turn at fiction writing giving us the now classic turn of phrase "full rear end-rape stiffness."

Thanks for reminding me of this: to show how much they were bringing the 90s back in style, they decided they really had to reprint a WoD fiction anthology book with an all new story from Martin Ericsson. The book in question had originally been edited by a convicted child molester, but they didn't feel the need to make any note of that while making changes to the book. (The rear end-rape stiffness is one of many memorable quotes from the new story.)

They were also making really bad additions to Onyx Path books as part of revising the lore for the oWoD setting, like reportedly adding in a section to a Werewolf book about how sex reassignment surgery doesn't work on werewolves because everything goes back to the way it was pre-surgery the next time they shapeshift thanks to their healing factor.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 17, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nuns with Guns posted:

They were also making really bad additions to Onyx Path books as part of revising the lore for the oWoD setting, like reportedly adding in a section to a Werewolf book about how sex reassignment surgery doesn't work on werewolves because everything goes back to the way it was pre-surgery the next time they shapeshift thanks to their healing factor.

According to the changes Paradox made: for a werewolf to actually transition you need powerful spirit magic, and it leaves you sterile. To most of the garou nation this means you're worse than a Metis because you couldn't just accept your "Gaia given gender." It's possible to transition *and* stay reproductively fit but it requires the power of a spirit one step below a tribal totem.

Also Garou are unaffected by hormonal birth control and Garou sex is so vigorous it "Overcomes all physical forms of birth control." So yeah, male garou ejaculate so hard it cuts right through your vaginal diaphragm and vaporizes your IUD. Because Garou are demanded of to have babies. A woman who enters menopause without having at least one kid(or miscarriage) loses like, 70 renown. Male garou are..uh...(fart noise)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's some reeaaal poo poo. And given the vague bastardisation of shamanic themes Werewolf generally uses, extremely off base. And what the gently caress in general.

And if you'd think if you're putting that much effort into werewolf sex you're going to want to not piss off furries.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

According to the changes Paradox made: for a werewolf to actually transition you need powerful spirit magic, and it leaves you sterile. To most of the garou nation this means you're worse than a Metis because you couldn't just accept your "Gaia given gender." It's possible to transition *and* stay reproductively fit but it requires the power of a spirit one step below a tribal totem.

Also Garou are unaffected by hormonal birth control and Garou sex is so vigorous it "Overcomes all physical forms of birth control." So yeah, male garou ejaculate so hard it cuts right through your vaginal diaphragm and vaporizes your IUD. Because Garou are demanded of to have babies. A woman who enters menopause without having at least one kid(or miscarriage) loses like, 70 renown. Male garou are..uh...(fart noise)

Way to go HAM at making the Black Furies the barefoot and pregnant tribe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Please tell me they didn't gently caress up WtF this bad, too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

Not as far as I know. Thankfully swedracula seems to believe that COFD is an inferior product to oWoD, and actual-factual-Paradox is even more hands off with OPP.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

No, thankfully all they did with nWoD was to silo it off in the corner and call it funny names, hence the "Chronicles of Darkness".

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kurieg posted:

Not as far as I know. Thankfully swedracula seems to believe that COFD is an inferior product to oWoD, and actual-factual-Paradox is even more hands off with OPP.

Is swedracula still at Paradox?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sion posted:

Is swedracula still at Paradox?

As far as we're aware, yes. But he doesn't have the level of editorial oversight that he used to have. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kurieg posted:

As far as we're aware, yes. But he doesn't have the level of editorial oversight that he used to have. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any.

So he's a paperweight, basically?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I know for a fact he's still managing various things at White Wolf.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rand Brittain posted:

I know for a fact he's still managing various things at White Wolf.

Things?

I mean there's a big difference between managing the paper supplies, and continuing to have oversight over the licensed rpg and decision making/approval authority for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

PST posted:

Things?

I mean there's a big difference between managing the paper supplies, and continuing to have oversight over the licensed rpg and decision making/approval authority for it.

I don't really know the details, unfortunately, but he's definitely still managing things and not just on retainer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

One of the sample PC vampires was also a coded child predator.

Kurieg posted:

Ericksson wants to run the company like he's Mark Rein*Hagen in the heyday of the 90's again. Where you could make a character that was a gay transsexual nazi murderer and people would clap and go "Wow, thank you for acknowledging that gays exist." despite the fact that the character was problematic as gently caress.

Whereas it's 2019 and you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really can't do that.
I went back through all the Sample PCs from all the clanbooks I could find, and yeah, gross stuff was shockingly common in V:tM.

That Old Tree posted:

The blog post itself was also just…not great? At best. It had a couple of things that were just flat-out wrong, like Zak being part of GamerGate, which then undermines its use as anything worthwhile concerning stuff that's actually true. It also kept waffling around with this weird "now I'm not specifically saying nWW is Nazis, they are probably just unfortunately out-of-touch edgelords, but here is something bad they did and they did it to specifically appeal to Nazis."
The thing is, everything about Zak comes off as Gamergatey except he always cloaked himself in being a woke ally--saying objection to cheesecake art is prudish, and saying the problem with tabletop isn't sexist creeps but "weird controlling nerd boys" coming at it from the Left. It doesn't help that he was listed as a contributor alongside Tarnowski who is, and I don't use this term lightly, a straight-up fascist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really know the details, unfortunately, but he's definitely still managing things and not just on retainer.

As far as labor laws go, he's protected insofar as he hasn't done anything actually fireable under Swedish law iirc. THey're welcome to move him around and relinquish some of his duties, but he can't be outright fired.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I went back through all the Sample PCs from all the clanbooks I could find, and yeah, gross stuff was shockingly common in V:tM.

The thing is, everything about Zak comes off as Gamergatey except he always cloaked himself in being a woke ally--saying objection to cheesecake art is prudish, and saying the problem with tabletop isn't sexist creeps but "weird controlling nerd boys" coming at it from the Left. It doesn't help that he was listed as a contributor alongside Tarnowski who is, and I don't use this term lightly, a straight-up fascist.

Tarnowski is not a facist. He's a wizard.

I am not making this up.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Tarnowski is not a facist. He's a wizard.

I am not making this up.
Yeah like wizards can't be fascists.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hostile V posted:

Yeah like wizards can't be fascists.

Name 3 fascist wizards

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Name 3 fascist wizards
Grindelwald, Lucius Malfoy and Blackwolf from Wizards.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Julius Evola, Alexander Dugin, Heinrich Himmler*

*well, he had some occultist buddies. Their influence has generally been overstated. Nonetheless, gently caress all fascist wizards.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hostile V posted:

Grindelwald, Lucius Malfoy and Blackwolf from Wizards.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Julius Evola, Alexander Dugin, Heinrich Himmler*

*well, he had some occultist buddies. Their influence has generally been overstated. Nonetheless, gently caress all fascist wizards.

Alright, you win.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Liquid Communism posted:

https://imgur.com/Ne3hqi1

https://imgur.com/5yEiIi5

To be accurate, because this game gets brought up a lot. Zak only co-wrote that and did the lovely, ugly art. It was also co-written by a trans woman, the trans woman in question writes lovely edgelord stuff and is an abuse enabler, but she claims she named the character and didn't know the other trans creator in question.

Zak is still an awful, abusive, probable rapist shithead though.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Catfishenfuego posted:

To be accurate, because this game gets brought up a lot. Zak only co-wrote that and did the lovely, ugly art. It was also co-written by a trans woman, the trans woman in question writes lovely edgelord stuff and is an abuse enabler, but she claims she named the character and didn't know the other trans creator in question.

Zak is still an awful, abusive, probable rapist shithead though.

To be clear: Zak almost certainly wrote at least the character’s name and told her to claim it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I feel like I've asked before and forgotten but who is the trans creator they're sniping at there?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Avery Alder, the creator of Monsterhearts, who has gone on record as saying that the character probably isn't an attack. Too subtle.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tarnowski also doesn’t understand the Yi Jing. Of loving course he doesn’t.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Tarnowski also doesn’t understand

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Gee was that supposed to be me?" is probably the safest public response to that, unfortunately.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

So here is how Phil Reed, the CEO of Steve Jackson Games, has handled the criticism of them partnering with Bill Webb, sexual harasser and all around drunken shithead.

Firstly, here is a reminder of how Steve Jackson handled becoming aware that his business partner had sexually harassed a woman at a convention and assaulted someone trying to stop him:

quote:

David, Chris, Aaron - I have read in its entirety the 2017 EN thread that Chris pointed to, and I do understand that a number of posters there are incensed at Bill Webb. To me, that does not justify SJ Games boycotting a whole company. Some very good things are coming out of our work with Frog God – three different projects are underway, and I don’t expect them to be the last. If that makes you wish you had not supported our Adventures campaign, we’ll work with you to refund your pledge, minus the fees already charged by Kickstarter, Stripe, and BackerKit. Those requests should go to darryll@sjgames.com. –SJ

So, unsurprisingly after a bunch of people had called this out as being at best centrist bullshit or more accurately defending the abuser over their victims, here's how SJ Games' CEO responded:

quote:

Yes. Out of respect for the victim -- and she absolutely was a victim of the situation -- we will not engage in a public discussion surrounding the matter. We've collected the information that we needed to make a decision and, after discussion with multiple individuals who were directly involved, we have a clear understanding of what happened.

Personally, I'd like to apologize to the victim for any of this even becoming an issue for her again. It is unfair to her for all of this to come up again when she has stated her wishes. I wasn't there at the convention, but I have enough info from those who were to say that I hope everyone has learned from the situation and that the drunken dumbness of conventions becomes a thing of the past.

You may, if you wish, try to contrast this with his private comments on the subject below, which together with the above demonstrate what he actually cares about :

quote:

I am officially an idiot. I tried to be reasonable and explain that we investigated a situation, discussed the subject with multiple people, and made a decision based on information that we were provided. That was a mistake on my part, because those who are angry at the situation feel that my statement was insensitive and that I support those who abuse and harass others.

This is not true at all. It is not true for me personally, it is not true for the company, and I am officially an idiot.

I cannot thank many of you enough for contacting me to make sure that I am okay. I am fine, yes, just disappointed in myself.

This is what he's claiming personally, please do try and reconcile this with his previous statements.

If this was the UK politics discussion i'd talk about centrist bullshit, but instead I think it's simply that he, and SJG just don't give a poo poo other than how dare anyone criticise them or make them look bad, even if it's just quoting their own responses or actions back to them. In short, personally he's playing the 'ohh woe is me' card and at best deceiving his commentators or more likely just using social currency to get them to support him.

As far as his customers are concerned, well gently caress them, they deserve nothing but contempt and how dare they criticise the company they should be honoured to receive anything from.

In short, Phil Reedis a deceitful self-opinionated wanker, steve jackson is clearly an out of touch old age prat who will say dumb things without anyone monitoring him, and they as a company should be told to gently caress off until and unless they have the slightest clue about giving a poo poo about anything other than their hopefully collapsing profit margins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

Tarnowski also doesn’t understand the Yi Jing. Of loving course he doesn’t.

I almost want to listen to him read/explain the Bhagavad Gita but on the other hand I really don't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

I almost want to listen to him read/explain the Bhagavad Gita but on the other hand I really don't.

didn't Tarnowski come out with that OSR clone nominally set in Indian mythology

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

"You see Krishna, being a time traveling psychic projection of SJW communist feminist ideology..."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

didn't Tarnowski come out with that OSR clone nominally set in Indian mythology

Yeah and it was really bad and a classic example of someone using wikipedia and a couple of other sources to write a 'comprehensive' mythological guide to one of the most complex theological belief structures in the world.

Of course, he continues to claim how special he is for doing it and how random chad (37, Minnesota) has hailed it as the greatest work in archeological history, because of course he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PST posted:

Yeah and it was really bad and a classic example of someone using wikipedia and a couple of other sources to write a 'comprehensive' mythological guide to one of the most complex theological belief structures in the world.

Of course, he continues to claim how special he is for doing it and how random chad (37, Minnesota) has hailed it as the greatest work in archeological history, because of course he does.
The system was literally the classic Empire of the Petal Throne RPG with the serial numbers filed off.

Also, gently caress SJG and that disingenuous bullshit. "Out of respect for the victim"? gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. Reed throwing a pity party for himself and assuming the martyred status of The Real Victim Here was overdetermined, but still utterly appalling.