Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So our company letterhead is a pile of JPGs sitting at the top of a word document. It prints out with artifacts and I hate it because it mars some tiny text and details that should be perfectly legible at 150dpi. I think, maybe this is a fun no-intellect project to hide behind on a day where I can't concentrate. Make it a proper header instead of being in-line with the body, maybe I could set up Styles correctly and show some people how that poo poo works later, maybe I could even see if I can get Office365 to include it for everybody as a default template.

Not pissing me off: As it happens, those graphics were first drawn by somebody in powerpoint, and we do have copies of that file. A little amateurish, but I've got vectorized originals! God bless the accidentally-good user.

Pissing me off: Microsoft Word is an idiot with vectors. You can insert an SVG and Word will scale and display it just fine, but then it flattens it to a JPG when it's sent to the printer, so that shows absolutely no upshot over the status quo. Microsoft's proprietary clip-art format, .EMF, offers some weird text glyph conversion issues, but I hammer it out and then it prints in razor-sharp quality. The thing is, though, that when you scale it to size in the Word document, it displays as a badly-aliased pixelated mess. What the gently caress? The improperly handled SVGs scaled down on screen like a dream but the native format can't do it? Any rational user looking at this before he prints it is going to think it's loving garbage, and probably try to go back to the bad old copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Our network started making GBS threads itself and throttling github at work. When we opened a ticket with IT they started asking questions about how and why we were using the app :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:cheers:

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Here's hoping that your backups are good.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Back...up?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Wibla posted:

Back...up?

Yeah as in “when’s it going to be back up??!!”

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

WhoNeedsAName posted:

:10bux: that the backups are on the SAN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey this snapshot feature is like a backup, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Hey this snapshot feature is like a backup, right?

*twitch*

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No no, it's fine, it was on RAID. :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kyrosiris posted:

No no, it's fine, it was on RAID. :)

*twitching intensifies*

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

*twitching intensifies*

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Asmodai_00 posted:

Two 64GB flash drives in RAID0, labeled as "Server drives"

Oh thank god, it was just a nightmare

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh thank god, it was just a nightmare

The drive in Slot 1 has failed.

Please replace the drive in Slot 1.

The slots are unlabeled for your convenience.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unfortunately we were able to get the SAN back up and running. Two drives had failed - one a while ago, one just now. We supposedly had a hot spare, but it wasn't actually configured to be used. Reconfigured that, re-slotted the recently failed drive to get it to work, and got the array rebuilding.

xsf421 posted:

:10bux: that the backups are on the SAN.

They're actually on a separate device! A product that we've never actually been able to successfully do a bare-metal recovery off of, but whatever we're invincible we only need to do test restores of individual files.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

And also not in any particular order because someone plugged the cables into the backplane in a random order.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Unfortunately we were able to get the SAN back up and running. Two drives had failed - one a while ago, one just now. We supposedly had a hot spare, but it wasn't actually configured to be used. Reconfigured that, re-slotted the recently failed drive to get it to work, and got the array rebuilding.

They're actually on a separate device! A product that we've never actually been able to successfully do a bare-metal recovery off of, but whatever we're invincible we only need to do test restores of individual files.

5:1 odds it dies during the rebuild.

What's the problem with the Bare Metal backups? There are a lot of common pitfalls that hold true across many products, odds are good I can point you in the right direction.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

He that should not be named was a giant idiot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JESUS CHRIST THAT THING'S REAL?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

JESUS CHRIST THAT THING'S REAL?

You only thought it was a dream :unsmigghh:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

What's the problem with the Bare Metal backups? There are a lot of common pitfalls that hold true across many products, odds are good I can point you in the right direction.

Our largest problem is that we don't test our backups more than just simple file recovery. We've never done a bare-metal or VM restore.

We use Datto for our backup, and the only time one of our clients had been in a situation requiring a restore my boss took the ticket, gave up, and rebuilt the server.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I want to pull those

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Someone still has the "Virtual" Desktop Infrastructure pic kicking around, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Someone still has the "Virtual" Desktop Infrastructure pic kicking around, right?

Duh

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Our largest problem is that we don't test our backups more than just simple file recovery. We've never done a bare-metal or VM restore.

We use Datto for our backup, and the only time one of our clients had been in a situation requiring a restore my boss took the ticket, gave up, and rebuilt the server.

Ah yes, Shroedinger's backups. They are both restorable and not restorable until tested.

Datto is solid as gently caress, surprised you had trouble, unless your boss is the kind to give up at the drop of a hat in favor of something far less optimal, because he's familiar with it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well I assume the lowest numbered slot is on the left, but does it start at 1 or 0? gently caress

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

Well I assume the lowest numbered slot is on the left, but does it start at 1 or 0? gently caress

The same guy who numbers the ports on the back numbered the slots, so he put the lowest number on the left. But if you look from the front, that's the higher number.

It's still not clear if it starts at 0 or 1.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have the Tetris version of that on the wall in my office along with my donkey Kong Verizon escalation chart

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welp, none of Google's authentication services seem to be working

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks Ants posted:

Welp, none of Google's authentication services seem to be working

Looks like:
https://status.cloud.google.com/incident/cloud-iam/19001

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

I’ve got bad news for you...

Yeah, I know. If they acquiesce to making an internal wiki, there'll be a bunch of interference from the bosses and I'll have to work on the project alongside my normal day-to-day work with the Service Desk.

Or...well, I work for the government, so god only knows.

The Macaroni posted:

I want to build a company wiki but just got told that we can't use our Sharepoint site for...reasons. What should I propose that we use? The field is open because we don't really have an intranet site besides our homebrew database front-end that lives on Azure.

Edit: Any experiences with Nuclino?

MediaWiki with SMW, LDAPAuth, and ApprovedRevs if you need that for whatever reason.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Joda posted:

Our network started making GBS threads itself and throttling github at work. When we opened a ticket with IT they started asking questions about how and why we were using the app :v:

We had a very similar issue yesterday, I don't know specifically what the cause was but github was pretty much unusable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Also you'll need to roll the dice on whether there is a Slot 0 or not.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I used to work in the field for IBM. The wisdom was “We start from 0 unless we start from 1. We count left to right except when we count right to left. We stack bottom to top unless we stack top to bottom.”

Good luck.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Note to self: don't do a find & replace all where you're finding 'x' and replacing with 'x and y'

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

tactlessbastard posted:

Note to self: don't do a find & replace all where you're finding 'x' and replacing with 'x and y'

Yeah you should probably not do this. Good shower thoughts.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tactlessbastard posted:

Sometimes you need to do this. Just make sure you only do it once.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Sometimes you need to do this. Just make sure you only do it once.

But what if X & Y already exists in some places in the file? (The answer is X & Y replace with X, followed by Replace X with X & Y, as a matter of fact you might want to do even if you aren't sure, or at least get a count of how many X & Y already exist)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Replace X with spaces/delimiters around so you only get that result hopefully.

e.g.
code:
x,y,x&y,x,x,x,y,y,y
Replacing x, won't inadvertently grab x&y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Replace X with spaces/delimiters around so you only get that result hopefully.

e.g.
code:
x,y,x&y,x,x,x,y,y,y
Replacing x, won't inadvertently grab x&y

That works Joe and banjoe but not Joe and Ted, which is what I was thinking of.