Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

xkcd did a useful comparison today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out about the badass Bagworm Moth caterpillar who builds a tiny log cabin to live in :aaa:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Uhh is someone going to tell these idiots you can't actually see a black hole. Source: regular Wikipedia browser and have read several pop science astronomy books. Better luck with your next hoax, 'Astrophysical Journal Letters'.

https://twitter.com/SpaceCatPics/status/1116068215975743488

Checkmate athetits :colbert:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

ekuNNN posted:

I just found out about the badass Bagworm Moth caterpillar who builds a tiny log cabin to live in :aaa:

This is kickin' rad. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I never miss an opportunity to introduce people to my favourite weird animal, the Jewel Caterpillar.
It starts life as some sort of gummy sweet:

Pupates in a net of spun sugar:

Then grows into a Lorax:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Want to eat the first stage and pet the last stage

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Phlegmish posted:

Want to eat the first stage and pet the last stage

Same. I'd try a taste of the middle stage too; it looks like some sort of nouvelle cuisine hors d'oeuvre.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ekuNNN posted:

Are you sure this isn't just screenshots from a JRPG?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lady Disdain posted:

I never miss an opportunity to introduce people to my favourite weird animal, the Jewel Caterpillar.

See also the nudibranch Acanthadoris lutea:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lady Disdain posted:

Not to be confused with the Juul Caterpillar that turns into a Vape Moth, complete with emphysema

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/yh2WDxH.mp4

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gillette brand baseballs.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jose Fernandez would’ve caught it, R.I.P. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was that the "Did you just catch that?" "Yes, yes I did :smug:" guy?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep, died in a boating accident :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep, died in a cocaine and alcohol crash :(

I mean, it's a drat shame but he was shithoused and should not have been at the helm of a 30 foot fishing vessel going at 55 knots.

He crashed into a drat jetty. Things been there.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, it's a drat shame but he was shithoused and should not have been at the helm of a 30 foot fishing vessel going at 55 knots.

And he murdered two of his friends by doing so. That tends to be left out when his memory is glorified.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Barry Bluejeans posted:

And he murdered two of his friends by doing so. That tends to be left out when his memory is glorified.

Truth, but I would attribute that more on the fact that the celebrity is usually the one remembered.

Like how two other people died when Jayne Mansfield's car plowed into the back of a truck. She wasn't even the driver.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm sure he learned his lesson and next time he'll avoid the jetties.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Barry Bluejeans posted:

And he murdered two of his friends by doing so.

Pier pressure can be deadly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I'm not sure I like the new Matrix movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

And his family just couldn't believe it and accused everyone of a cover-up where he was an innocent victim whose drink was spiked with cocaine while someone else was driving. I'm sure to this day they still believe he was innocent of killing himself and two other people and that everyone just blamed him because......?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

And his family just couldn't believe it and accused everyone of a cover-up where he was an innocent victim whose drink was spiked with cocaine while someone else was driving. I'm sure to this day they still believe he was innocent of killing himself and two other people and that everyone just blamed him because......?

If I had to give up the millions I just started banking on, for the fault of someone else, I doubt I would act more objectively if it were my son.

:smith:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Ratatozsk posted:

Pier pressure can be deadly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1120751047012696064

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Always thought they did that poo poo with cranes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bored As gently caress posted:

Always thought they did that poo poo with cranes.

I did too until I saw some guy do it in lego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny-ighFGg98

Hadn't seen a real one in action

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh dang they made a Gromit machine in real life

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJ1FXeFe2M

Edit: Also this video is one of the best demonstrations of how good an Epiphone is compared to the way more expensive Gibson originals.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Apr 26, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was in the schadenfreude thread but seems more appropriate here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Think this is more prevented schade or something, not sure where to post it.
https://i.imgur.com/ZQbJKSy.gifv

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Looks like a flashbang, any milgoons around wish to tell us how much it sucks to be close to that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Looks like a flashbang, any milgoons around wish to tell us how much it sucks to be close to that?

The dude rolling around with the red rag on his helmet suggests this is an airsoft game, so it's likely not a legit flashbang. Still as loud as a gunshot, but it won't leave you on the ground.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

I'm pretty sure that's airsoft or paintball so I doubt it's a full power flashing.

E: f,b

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a training exercise of some sort. If it's just fat dudes playing cowboy then it is automatically not bad rear end. Sorry.

edit: vvv To be clear, I was saying sorry for posting it in the first place. Not "sorry you guys are enjoying this but you shouldn't"

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Apr 26, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ok, still a great catch there from POV guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought it was a training exercise of some sort. If it's just fat dudes playing cowboy then it is automatically not bad rear end. Sorry.

edit: vvv To be clear, I was saying sorry for posting it in the first place. Not "sorry you guys are enjoying this but you shouldn't"

You can still do badass stuff in airsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMBMwr2W58&t=304s

That's an explosive TAG grenade he's catching, so that actually could blow fingers off.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

chitoryu12 posted:

You can still do badass stuff in airsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMBMwr2W58&t=304s

That's an explosive TAG grenade he's catching, so that actually could blow fingers off.

When I was a kid we used BB guns and our grenades were CO2 canisters with M80s taped to them. Kids these days... "air soft" :clint:

holttho
May 21, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

When I was a kid we used BB guns and our grenades were CO2 canisters with M80s taped to them. Kids these days... "air soft" :clint:

We only lost 4 eyes, 13 fingers, a lung, and that weird kid from the end of the block!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

What did you do about having to extract BBs from your flesh every day or dealing with festering wounds and sepsis if you didn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

JEEVES420 posted:

When you throw one, instead of yelling "fire in the hole!" do you yell "smile, you son of a bitch!”?