Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows 10 1903 Media Creation Tool is available unofficially for anyone who wants to install without being an Insider. Obviously proceed at your peril.

https://mspoweruser.com/with-the-media-creation-tool-you-can-now-upgrade-to-the-windows-10-may-2019-update-without-becoming-an-insider/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats a little weird!. I'll give it a shot.

[edit] is there any way to verify the build before install?

2nd edit: that is loving bullshit, 1809 is what the media creation tool dls.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 14, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ruflux posted:

The worst bit is probably how crappy the touch keyboard is. Either it's always there, getting in the way when you don't need it or you manually open it every time you want to type something.

That is absolutely not how it is meant to behave, it should pop in and out whenever you need it. Do you have tablet mode enabled?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think it only comes up for modern apps.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Thats a little weird!. I'll give it a shot.

[edit] is there any way to verify the build before install?

2nd edit: that is loving bullshit, 1809 is what the media creation tool dls.

Aw nuts, sorry, posted that from work and only saw the comments when I got home. My bad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aw nuts, sorry, posted that from work and only saw the comments when I got home. My bad.

No worries. I was bitching about that website not your post.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think you all should upgrade to 1903 so you can tell me what is a deal breaker day one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I think you all should upgrade to 1903 so you can tell me what is a deal breaker day one.

Uh hullo, new theme and a version number bump?

:fap:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and upgrading from 1803 to 1903 but I want to do a clean install upgrade because surely a clean install of the newest version of Windows 10 won't break poo poo, right? Yes, I know I'll have to reinstall all of my apps but I don't care. And I'll move all of my installed Steam games to my secondary SSD and external HDD before doing a clean install.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've got a desktop I've been meaning to upgrade for a while now, and it's got a digital license from my W7 install. I know there's a way to associate your Microsoft account with a digital license so you can re-activate your computer once you upgrade it. My question is this: if I do this, can I then remove the Microsoft account and just keep using a local account? I don't gently caress with "cloud" accounts.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Djeser posted:

I've got a desktop I've been meaning to upgrade for a while now, and it's got a digital license from my W7 install. I know there's a way to associate your Microsoft account with a digital license so you can re-activate your computer once you upgrade it. My question is this: if I do this, can I then remove the Microsoft account and just keep using a local account? I don't gently caress with "cloud" accounts.

You can revert to a local account, but any particular reason you don't "gently caress" with "cloud" accounts?

spasticColon posted:

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and upgrading from 1803 to 1903 but I want to do a clean install upgrade because surely a clean install of the newest version of Windows 10 won't break poo poo, right? Yes, I know I'll have to reinstall all of my apps but I don't care. And I'll move all of my installed Steam games to my secondary SSD and external HDD before doing a clean install.

This is most likely to result in the fewest problems, though if there's a driver or hardware 1903 doesn't like yet you could run into issues. Really there's no rush to use 1903 any time soon if your 1803 install is working well.

In the past when I've had compatibility warnings with an in-place upgrade, when I've hosed the whole thing and done a clean install it has always worked without issue.

My beef right now is that the Insider build on release preview is telling me a driver or service is incompatible, but won't be tell me anything useful. I feel there should be big red Proceed at Your Peril or Show Me the loving Details buttons since I'm a big boy and don't need to be saved from myself by Microsoft. I promise not to piss and moan if my computer gets bucked stupid by your pre-release software.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 15, 2019

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can revert to a local account, but any particular reason you don't "gently caress" with "cloud" accounts?

Yes, and it is tedious and boring.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Not the op, but for me, it's because I don't want any settings syncing between computers. I know you can deactivate that functionality and delete the saved data from Microsoft's website, but having a local account is easier. I still log into individual apps. There's literally no advantage to having a cloud account to me, but plenty of disadvantages.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mystes posted:

There isn't much improvement in CPUs right now except for the number of cores increasing. The higher end / higher TPD intel processors have 6 cores now, but I don't think you're going to see that in ultraportables in the next couple years.

Also, if CPU performance is important, you probably shouldn't get an ultraportable in the first place because of cooling considerations (considering just getting a normal laptop plus a kindle fire or samsung tablet or something).

CPU performance is a little less important to me than iGPU performance, I've been pestering the Intel thread to ply their expertise to see when if the new Gen 11 silicon bits might be coming, if sooner than Holiday 2019.

Do you know, the GTX 750 Ti, which, by today's standards, would consider to be the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM if you wanted to do any kind of gaming, is five years old now, and we *still* haven't got iGPU performance that can come close to it?

It just goes to reinforce how utterly abysmal AMD's warmed-over-corpse-seven-times-now GCN architecture is, and how utterly content Intel was to just sit there and print money with 5% improved IPC YOY, instead of actually pushing loving envelopes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do you know, the GTX 750 Ti, which, by today's standards, would consider to be the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM if you wanted to do any kind of gaming, is five years old now, and we *still* haven't got iGPU performance that can come close to it?

Does my i7-8705G count as having improved iGPU? :v:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That is absolutely not how it is meant to behave, it should pop in and out whenever you need it. Do you have tablet mode enabled?

Tablet mode or no, it's incredibly unreliable. Half the time it just won't show up, the other half it won't go away after I hit enter. So I just manually open it whenever I need to type something, it's much easier that way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isndl posted:

Does my i7-8705G count as having improved iGPU? :v:

No, because it's still that same loving zombified GCN architecture that just! Won't! loving! Stay! Dead!

AMD has been rehashing GCN in some shape or form now since _2011_. It was first built on 28nm, and they're still loving building it now by goosing the ever-loving poo poo out of with by just pumping it with voltage at 7nm.

It needs to loving die a horrible, horrible death, in the most painful way possible, and then replaced by a ground-up clean-sheet new architecture.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 15, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ruflux posted:

Tablet mode or no, it's incredibly unreliable. Half the time it just won't show up, the other half it won't go away after I hit enter. So I just manually open it whenever I need to type something, it's much easier that way.

That still isn't how it should behave at all, it should pop in and out when you have a text box selected; occasionally you need to tap the box again in excel, but otherwise I've had no issues with it. I'm not sure how to properly troubleshoot that, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The touch keyboard on Windows 8 on a tablet (at least in portrait mode) would push the desktop area up and make the programs smaller, keeping the text area entirely visible. In Windows 10 my experience was that the touch keyboard would constantly cover up the text area and make it impossible to see what I was typing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Djeser posted:

Windows 7 licenses from eBay are so cheap it's not worth the effort, just get a new license.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Djeser posted:

You can also just make a second account on the machine.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's not true anymore for a long time already. Microsoft added direct support somewhen after the release of Zen.

A month ago Zen apu i was setting up required latest driver from AMD to have proper cpu frequency scaling.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I wound up booting into the old installation anyway while putting the new parts together, and it had a digital license anyway when I did a fresh install on the new SSD.

Bad news: the only motherboard my store had with a decent configuration of ports is full of lovely GAMER branding with a weird military-fetish boot logo
Good news: I can turn that off
Sad news: The PS/2 port won't work for whatever reason so I had to switch back to using my keyboard's USB cable. :eng99:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can still get PS/2 ports on things? :confused:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yes, usually only one these days, but they are still there.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I never had a desktop computer that didn't have a PS/2 port. It's not like they're expensive, so unless you're dealing with a laptop or something where space is limited, why wouldn't you include one? There's still old software floating around in industrial & business applications that can't handle USB inputs well, or at all, so it can come in handy.
Personally, I wish the hardware industry had the same attitude towards RS232 serial ports, as dealing with RS232-to-USB converters sucks.

PS/2 did make a weird comeback in professional gaming where some people claim the PS/2's interrupt is more responsive then USB's polling. But I'm convinced that the same sort of snake-oil nonsense that leads people to dumping loads of money on gold-plated connectors on HDMI or toslink cables. Though I guess it is still useful if whatever games you're playing requires you holding down a dozen keys at once.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
PS/2 ports are still useful because they don't need the additional driver stack to be loaded before they can function, though that's more of a 'something is so hosed I'm having trouble changing settings in the BIOS' solution. Otherwise I think it's mainly kept around for KVM switches that don't play nice with USB, and it's not like it costs the motherboard manufacturers anything extra to solder on the PS/2 module instead of a USB module (or maybe it costs them less because they don't need a fancier USB controller?).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Raygereio posted:

Personally, I wish the hardware industry had the same attitude towards RS232 serial ports, as dealing with RS232-to-USB converters sucks.

Many motherboards still have a real serial port, it's just that they only provide it via a pin header and require you to supply your own D-sub connector.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There are also real parallel and serial ports available on PCI Express cards for desktops.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's where I plug in my HP Laserjet 4L

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

It's where I plug in my HP Laserjet 4L

Get with the times, buy a parallel port JetDirect

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dear diarygoons,

Today, I discovered the stupidest loving thing I'd ever seen in all my years as a professional computer-toucher. Turns out, there's been an "optional" firmware update out there for my 960 PRO that solves a lot of the problems I've been having with this drive, that you can only get through Samsung Magician.

Now, I've actually resisted installing Samsung Magician for a long-rear end time. Mostly, because I don't loving trust any hardware that needs its own dedicated software suite to run on top of drivers to operate properly, but also because I'm still a little wary after the 840 EVO debacle. But that wasn't the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.

What was, was how Samsung Magician software checks your SSDs for "authenticity" before letting you access firmware updates and advanced functionality, despite being able to read a serial number and plainly see that it's a 960 PRO. As it turns out, what Samsung Magician does to "verify" your drive's authenticity is to dial home and check against a verification server of some cockamamie bullshit that was getting caught by my pi-hole, and when it wasn't being caught by my pi-hole, was intermittently down. In what I can only conclude was a brilliant stroke of luck, I managed to catch the server when it *wasn't* down, get the firmware update, and now that worrying 840 EVO-like behaviour I was getting is now gone.

Samsung Magician is now gone from my system too. But goddamnit, if this isn't the stupidest poo poo ever, because I am getting tired of having to remember all these stupid little foibles.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I know how you feel and used to think that, but firmware is usually hundreds of thousands of lines of code (or millions) written by the entire range of terrible to good developers. If there's new firmware updates for anything storage related it's because someone somewhere got turbofucked by a bug they fixed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The firmware ain't the problem, it's the dialling home poo poo. Like, how loving paranoid do you have to be that you gotta dial home and check a loving DRM server before you allow a firmware update? A firmware update, I would note, that is still unable to be obtained standalone from their website for over a year, now.

I can't find any patch notes for it (it's firmware version 4B6QCXP7) saying what exactly it was that was fixed, and being forced to get it through Magician makes getting a copy of the firmware non-trivial. So what are they hiding?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This is standard operating procedure for Samsung, unfortunately; most of their SSD firmware updates are only available through Magician and don't come with any kind of meaningful changelog.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I install a super old version of Samsung Magician if I need it because I tried one of those newer versions, once. Either it didn't properly recognize one of my older Samsung SSDs, or some of the settings were actually removed - I can't even remember since it's been such a long time now. It was just so stupid that I had to revert to the one which actually worked as expected.

e: v4.9.7 was the 'good' version

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dear diarygoons,

Today, I discovered the stupidest loving thing I'd ever seen in all my years as a professional computer-toucher. Turns out, there's been an "optional" firmware update out there for my 960 PRO that solves a lot of the problems I've been having with this drive, that you can only get through Samsung Magician.

Thank you for posting this because I forgot about that program and it turns out there's new firmware for my drive... :shepicide:

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dear diarygoons,

Now, I've actually resisted installing Samsung Magician for a long-rear end time. Mostly, because I don't loving trust any hardware that needs its own dedicated software suite to run on top of drivers to operate properly, but also because I'm still a little wary after the 840 EVO debacle. But that wasn't the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.

What was, was how Samsung Magician software checks your SSDs for "authenticity" before letting you access firmware updates and advanced functionality, despite being able to read a serial number and plainly see that it's a 960 PRO. As it turns out, what Samsung Magician does to "verify" your drive's authenticity is to dial home and check against a verification server of some cockamamie bullshit that was getting caught by my pi-hole, and when it wasn't being caught by my pi-hole, was intermittently down. In what I can only conclude was a brilliant stroke of luck, I managed to catch the server when it *wasn't* down, get the firmware update, and now that worrying 840 EVO-like behaviour I was getting is now gone.

Samsung Magician is now gone from my system too. But goddamnit, if this isn't the stupidest poo poo ever, because I am getting tired of having to remember all these stupid little foibles.
If you don't want to use Samsung Magician can't you boot off of the firmware update isos from https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/#download_tab_0101_anchorpar3-st_semi_down_list_ex ?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mystes posted:

If you don't want to use Samsung Magician can't you boot off of the firmware update isos from https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/#download_tab_0101_anchorpar3-st_semi_down_list_ex ?

Those often aren't current, unfortunately (don't know about this specific case, but that has been my experience in the past).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have a 960 EVO and the version on that page matches the version Magician 5.2 states is current (3B7QCXE7).

Then again, Magician 5.2 says it's the current version of Magician when there's 5.3.1 on that page so :shrug: