Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zas posted:

admiral ackbar has like one memorable line. at this point he's slightly less iconic than peppy hare from star fox 64

Which is why I was really surprised people made such a big deal out of his off screen death. He didn't deserve an on screen death, the character hadn't earned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Too much needless death in these star wars

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ug2DOoxJ1g&t=152s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnX2tP5xnYw

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I said come in! posted:

Which is why I was really surprised people made such a big deal out of his off screen death. He didn't deserve an on screen death, the character hadn't earned that.

Hes a super important, developed and awesome character in the books, for what its worth. Also he had a cool episode in CG Star Wars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc he was the person responsible for bringing the Mon ..... .... Calamari.... ... fleet into the rebellion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If they brought Wedge back for a 15 sec. cameo and then killed him off-screen people would be annoyed with that too. There are a lot of 30something fans who still have fond memories of those X-Wing stories.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

more importantly wedge was the star of a good video game. it would be an insult to gamers (lol)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If nobody was meant to care, why mention his death in the first place?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

euphronius posted:

Iirc he was the person responsible for bringing the Mon ..... .... Calamari.... ... fleet into the rebellion.

Nah, he wasn't singlehandedly responsible for that or anything, though he was a big deal in thier planetary military.

He did have a neat backstory of being enslaved to Tarkin as a trophy to lord over the Calimari only for Ackbar to use his position to learn a poo poo ton about Imperial tactics and logistics planning that helped make him better able to whip their asses on the Outer Rim once he was freed.

He's got multiple major storylines in the post-Endor time period also, fighting Imp warlords and dealing with New Republic politics and whatnot.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Didn't he crash a sabotaged b-wing into some alien planet's version of notre dame and cause a huge political shitshow lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ingmar terdman posted:

Too much needless death in these star wars

It's okay. Noone's ever really gone

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Prequels ?? Ugh.

Relatedly: is Princess Leia a Disney Princess?

She's a Disney General now

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sanguinia posted:

The issue is someone with perceived authority lending creedence to bad faith arguments that make them seem legitimate when they're not and thus empowering toxicity.

Utter nonsense.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The right-wing tactic is to take such as the bad writing endemic to the Disney films and blame it on, like, "affirmative action". That way libertarian nerds will be led to believe women are corrupting everything, stealing their enjoyment.

Saying 'the bad writing is ok because Holdo's a woman and we need to support her no matter what!' plays right into their hands. That's exactly what they want you to say.

Abstain from culture war for a moment. Holdo's mission is to send a team of people to Mineral Planet (a planet... made of minerals?!) so they can turn on a radio. Holdo also has possibly dozens of these little pods that can instantly and undetectably send teams of people to other planets:

She doesn't use them.

The reason is not that Holdo is a woman, but that Disney rushed the film into production before the script was really done, then conducted extensive hasty reshoots and ADR sessions to try to make sense of things. It wasn't enough. So in the actual film, it's never clear exactly what the heroes are trying to accomplish, and the expository dialogue doesn't match the visuals.

The whole mutiny thing is also weird because it requires Poe to drastically change his behavior from the previous film, with no explanation given.

TFA established Poe as a mostly level-headed dude, trusted do to important missions on his own, who takes his orders from General Leia seriously. He's no going WHATEVER YOUR :jerkbag: ~WORSHIPFULNESS~ :jerkbag: about her orders. He's a huge smartass when taunting the enemy to the point it's beyond ridiculous, but that's a separate issue.

In the second movie he just goes LEEEEROY JENKINS in every single situation, to manufacture a conflict that has no real reason to exist, with someone we as the audience have no reason to care about or like or trust or find interesting in any way whatsoever, to teach him a lesson he never showed he had to learn in the last movie. The whole thing is powered by making him a super moron rear end in a top hat out of left field.

Plus its thesis is that Poe's a dick for risking too many space bombers to blow up a giant warship, which OK fair enough, but Holdo using a giant warship for a suicide attack on a different giant warship after everything about her previous plans fell apart is just great because...wait what?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So why don't they just hyperspace ram the planet Palpatine's hanging out on and save everyone two hours of movie?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I’m entirely unsure why Holdo’s kamikaze is depicted as the ultimate sacrifice when Finn’s is apparently foolhardy and worthless.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SMG, you're a wonderful human being

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I’m entirely unsure why Holdo’s kamikaze is depicted as the ultimate sacrifice when Finn’s is apparently foolhardy and worthless.

Because Finns would not have worked ?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

Because Finns would not have worked ?

Is there a specific line in the movie where someone says that? I’m asking sincerely, I haven’t seen the movie in a while. I assumed Finn was bravely and intentionally going to destroy the thing by flying into it ID4/Randy Quaid-style when Rose decided to intervene for no good reason.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

Is there a specific line in the movie where someone says that? I’m asking sincerely, I haven’t seen the movie in a while. I assumed Finn was bravely and intentionally going to destroy the thing by flying into it ID4/Randy Quaid-style when Rose decided to intervene for no good reason.

The real headscratcher is how the rest of the First Order let them get all the way back to the door without blasting the crap out of them like they did with Luke

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jewmanji posted:

You could see it falling apart and blowing up on the way in to the laser barrel, it was pretty obviously not going to accomplish anything

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

No that’s not what happened.

He was Don Quixoteing himself out of rage and anger in a sacrifice that would have done nothing. Rose saved him and said it’s not about fighting against them but fighting for people etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

No that’s not what happened.

He was Don Quixoteing himself out of rage and anger in a sacrifice that would have done nothing. Rose saved him and said it’s not about fighting against them but fighting for people etc.

Maybe I’m the only one on Earth who thinks it’s filmed in a way to suggest that Finn’s plan might work. I dunno.

Also I love the image of someone putting the pedal to the metal and trying to drive their car off a cliff, and in order to prevent them from killing themselves their best friend comes in and t-bones them at 100 mph. That’s like something out of the Simpsons.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 17, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Maybe I’m the only one on Earth who thinks it’s filmed in a way to suggest that Finn’s plan might work. I dunno.

It was at the beginning but then it appeared hopeless as they got closer

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

As I've said several times now, the issue is not good faith criticism of Holdo. She as a character and that element TLJs plot have significant problems. The issue is someone with perceived authority lending creedence to bad faith arguments that make them seem legitimate when they're not and thus empowering toxicity.

You judging good faith criticism based on the opinions of toxic fans is literally empowering those toxic fans, is literally you giving them power over you.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

It was at the beginning but then it appeared hopeless as they got closer

I just watched it and literally the only damage his ship seems to sustain is his laser gun wing gets destroyed. Otherwise his ship looks pretty much perfectly intact and he’s like 20 feet from the cannon when Rose tries to murder him. They show him bathed in light (“hey boys! I’m back!”) but he was clearly going to hit his target. The only ambiguity is whether that would set off the chain reaction he expects it will.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The main issue is that we have at least two distinct plots that don’t mesh: the survival plot and the radio plot.

Holdo’s plan makes slightly more sense if there’s no radio. The bunker is just a bunker, and her goal is purely to hide everyone there while she heroically lures the baddies away.

But then, someone probably asked: how would they get out of the bunker?

‘Oh, well the bunker has a radio in it. They can call for help.’ From who? ‘Oh, uh... allies? In the outer rim?’

This is where things go wrong. How many allies? Why didn’t you send a small team to the radio three days ago? (Didn’t your last base have a radio?) In the previous film(s) people do interplanetary phone calls all the time with no problems. Poe calls Maz in this film and gets a perfect, live, full-3D holographic projection.

And then they get to the radio, and nobody shows up. Huh? The plot is somehow retconned mid-film: they don’t have any allies now. Why not?

On the other hand, it’s fairly easy to picture an alternate film without the survival plot - one where Holdo is certain that “we're not alone. In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol, and they put their hope in it”, while Poe doesn’t trust the downtrodden and recruits sketchy characters like Maz and James Bond to blunt-force a solution. Hence the ostensible difference between “looking like a hero” and “keeping the spark alive” or whatever.

It’s when you mix the two plots that you end up with a bizarre mess.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
and he's going against a death star lazer so it's very prone to destructive chain reactions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

You judging good faith criticism based on the opinions of toxic fans is literally empowering those toxic fans, is literally you giving them power over you.

They're living in his dang head rent free!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ammanas posted:

you mean mauls double sided dildo? idk what a saber staff thing looks like

Nah, I was thinking something like this:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I forgot, do they mention that the laser ram is the only thing ever to crack open that door? Because if not, Finn's sacrifice is pointless because the WHOLE FIRST ORDER is standing right there, ready to put it back together or bring a new one or get the door open some other way.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

You could see it falling apart and blowing up on the way in to the laser barrel, it was pretty obviously not going to accomplish anything

I don't think it was this clear-cut. Especially since I've seen literally dozens of people who interpreted it differently, including myself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
FN is specifically the expert who knows how to blow up the laser.

FN’s guns are shown melting to explain why he decides a kamikaze is necessary, not to show that his plan is wrong.

Poe orders FN to retreat not because FN’s plan won’t work, but because he doesn’t want FN to die. ‘The losses are too heavy.’ This is a direct reference to the opening scene, where Rose’s sister successfully blows up the enemy ship and dies in the process, making Leia sad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sean10mm posted:

The whole mutiny thing is also weird because it requires Poe to drastically change his behavior from the previous film, with no explanation given.

TFA established Poe as a mostly level-headed dude, trusted do to important missions on his own, who takes his orders from General Leia seriously. He's no going WHATEVER YOUR :jerkbag: ~WORSHIPFULNESS~ :jerkbag: about her orders. He's a huge smartass when taunting the enemy to the point it's beyond ridiculous, but that's a separate issue.

In the second movie he just goes LEEEEROY JENKINS in every single situation, to manufacture a conflict that has no real reason to exist, with someone we as the audience have no reason to care about or like or trust or find interesting in any way whatsoever, to teach him a lesson he never showed he had to learn in the last movie. The whole thing is powered by making him a super moron rear end in a top hat out of left field.

Plus its thesis is that Poe's a dick for risking too many space bombers to blow up a giant warship, which OK fair enough, but Holdo using a giant warship for a suicide attack on a different giant warship after everything about her previous plans fell apart is just great because...wait what?

Speaking of the script being rushed/unfinished/hastily ADRed, everything about the initial revelations and talk about how they're being tracked through hyperspace, like, surely originally they had meant for there to be a spy on one of the ships giving them away right? Like if that got developed beyond that one scene it would have explained why Holdo/Leia/Poe had all the tension and secrecy going on that they did.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

FN is specifically the expert who knows how to blow up the laser.

FN’s guns are shown melting to explain why he decides a kamikaze is necessary, not to show that his plan is wrong.

Poe orders FN to retreat not because FN’s plan won’t work, but because he doesn’t want FN to die. ‘The losses are too heavy.’ This is a direct reference to the opening scene, where Rose’s sister successfully blows up the enemy ship and dies in the process, making Leia sad.

You are willfully misremembering the movie. FN decides to kamikaze run the laser before his gun melts away. Watch the scene, this is clear. They know at that point that shooting it isn't going to work, which is literally why they retreat. Also, why is FN the expert on how to blow up a death star laser? He recognizes what one is, because he was in the FO. But he was like a trashman. That surely doesn't give him the knowledge that driving a small crumbling piece of metal into a giant laser that melts everything is somehow going to destroy it. Nobody has ever killed a Death Star by flying into its laser before. Rose definitely makes the right choice, even if it's based on emotion. So was FN's. He's just fed up with losing, not thinking straight. There is no logical reason to think his plan will work.

The only reason, we, as an audience, would be prone to believe that it will work is that, as a main character, if the film is going to kill him off, his death would have a point. But then again, this is The Last Jedi, so why would we even expect that?

Poe also makes the right choice, because he's learned throughout that course of the movie, that bold crazy decisions don't work. He got lucky in opening scene, where Paige died, but blew up the dreadnought (and got all the rest of their bombers destroyed). However, his crazy bold plan to disable the tracker did not work. In fact it got most everyone killed. Now he knows, just because they're the "good guys," that crazy brash decisions do not work. "The losses are too heavy" IS a direct reference to the opening scene, it's showing his character growth.

Everything the movie has told us up to this point is that FNs kamikaze run isn't going to work.

I mean, if you want to pick on stuff in the movie that doesn't make sense, there are plenty of things, but why this? Why not the thing that tracks them through hyperspace, that supposedly no one has the technology to do, except the Empire literally tracked the Falcon through hyperspace in the first Star Wars movie ever made.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

teagone posted:

Nah, I was thinking something like this:

this dumb and pointless, the bottom cant block a saber

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

It's probably made of anti-lightsaber metal

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
why don't they make the whole plane out of anti-lightsaber metal

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just give her a super-long lgihtsabers like Dirk Lasermaster's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ammanas posted:

Just because its bad for fighting other Lightsabers doesn't mean its not better against any other enemy. Polearms are generally pretty good, what with the extra reach.