Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was gonna do an MTV Crips version of my base but I really want to eat dinner so instead here's my Leviathan Coast pitch:

Right in this spot there's two iron deposits with 100% quality and 3 workers available and a low-quality copper deposit for two workers. 80% Water yields for wells, green fertility for growing hemp and greenfruit (you'll need hydroponics for rice), plus you're right along the shore so you can build your gate in the water to force enemies to swim to your base. Roaming Garru bands, the occasional Beak Thing, and plentiful River Raptors will prove minor annoyances until you have walls, then are great for providing leather for armor crafting and meat for making food or rotten meed for animal fodder. You're out of cannibal range once you overcome the one scripted raid, then you only have to worry about the Band of Bones who take forever to get to you, but will rarely ever make it because they often aggro the Leviathans and get wiped before even showing up. Leviathans themselves are great for crossbow and harpoon target practice, killing a single one will bring a character from Turret skill 0 up to 13, and Leviathans won't retaliate if you blast them from a wall-mounted turret, so they're walking cash baloons you can pop for 12k apiece.

If you're newer to the game and are looking for an incredibly safe and comfortable base to begin your industry, big recommendation for the Leviathan Coast.

i went to the leviathan coast basically first thing on my first character. it sounded like a cool place and I had found a map thing that gave me an ancient armoury location.

It was pretty loving tough with a single character with basically no stats, but I came out eventually with a ton of masterwork gear, 100k+ gold and my character was up to around 30-40 in most stats (besides dex cause i didn't know how to train it).

Also found a few spots that seemed really good for an outpost, I didn't know how to take a screenshot at the time so I just tried to memorize how it looked on the map hah, I'll see if I can find it again. It had iron, copper, high fertility, water and stone all there in close proximity.

edit: i wanna say it's around where my cursor is but I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure it was though, cause I remember it being in a little nook/divet into the mountains there.

yeah that was it, I ran a guy up there from mongrel just now to check. only one copper node though.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Made it to shark. Umm.. Wtf is going on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We got into a fight with zombies (thanks to the zombie mod) and it was a real shitshow, managed to save everyone's lives because I micromanaged one of my ranged people to evac people getting eaten but we lost four or five limbs in total and Aurora is literally the only conscious person at the moment. Going to have to start hauling people one at a time to Ashiba for healing.

I love how an rear end-kicking in this game can take days to recover from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Made it to shark. Umm.. Wtf is going on.

1) Take the Mexican drug cartels
2) Give them swords
Ok that's Shark

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"Narko's Trap", huh? Sounds like there could be some good loot there-

welp.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Lone Badger posted:

1) Take the Mexican drug cartels
2) Give them swords
Ok that's Shark

In my first play through everyone in Shark fought each other. Sadly this was not the case in my second play through. However, I joined the hounds and set up a base in the swamps. The hound guy who always demands money got stuck on one of my walls, and then later on so did a hive trader. So I had free body guards right by my gate on top of the kill box. Unfortunately I wiped HN before they could Wrath of God my base and somehow Retribution went to the jail in Squint instead of my base and the Hundred Guardians hosed them all up.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

BMan posted:

I've discovered that if you put someone on hemp auto-loom duty, they will run back and forth putting single hemps in constantly. Annoying for multitasking, but it's great for strength training! yes I know there's a weight bench mod

The weight bench mod only goes up to 60...and it takes a VERY long time to get there. Realistically you'd go up to mid 40's, which is nice but not game breaking. Moving hemp/fabric (or another of my favorites, stocking water in water tanks) with a shitton of weight and carrying a body of some sort is still the best way to get your strength to the higher end so you can use those delicious edge 3/meitou heavy weapons and hackers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strength is relatively easy to train, Dexterity is hard. I haven't found a better method than giving someone a rusty wakazashi and having them go nuts on a skeleton prisoner. Then they end up with tons of katana skill and you're tempted to give them one for real, which is bad because katanas are bad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dodging is pretty good Dex practice, more so than you would think really. My recent Hiver with the Rebirth slave start got to around 60 dex and dodge simply from constant escape attempts and the associated beatdowns, as well as the absence of further beatdowns once dodging got to an appreciable level. It leveled faster than Toughness, almost. I think you could simulate the experience by making a standard thunderdome and setting your guy to taunt-defend, which just makes you stand there and endeavour to not die. Pick a bunch of starving bandits (or something comparably weak) to be your target practice and you could probably do it AFK.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By the way, what happens when the holy sentinels expend their first aid supplies? Do you stop getting patched up?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's actually a pretty good question. I can't say one way or another, but with the sheer number of guards around, I do not think this is likely to ever happen in practice. After a particularly spirited escape attempt, I once had 20 guys trying to fix me back up at the same time, it looked kind of silly. Worship the cage bug! :v:

The guards also respawn, so you'll eventually refill the available medical supplies simply by way of picking one or two off every so often.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

That's actually a pretty good question. I can't say one way or another, but with the sheer number of guards around, I do not think this is likely to ever happen in practice. After a particularly spirited escape attempt, I once had 20 guys trying to fix me back up at the same time, it looked kind of silly. Worship the cage bug! :v:

The guards also respawn, so you'll eventually refill the available medical supplies simply by way of picking one or two off every so often.

They will run out, but what happens is that there are about 10-15 guards per outer tower who will rotate in on duty if the inner guards are killed or caged. I've emptied all of rebirth as a slave, eventually you need to be very careful or you'll be left dying in a dead camp because the last two guys won't patrol by you after you get knocked out.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
hmm. so today I went back to one of my spots I had found for a base and prospected again to compare to some other spots in the same area.

yesterday this exact spot was 70/75/20 arid/green/swamp, now it's just 70/75 arid/green? does this just change at random?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 17, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tabletops posted:

hmm. so today I went back to one of my spots I had found for a base and prospected again to compare to some other spots in the same area.

yesterday this exact spot was 70/75/20 arid/green/swamp, now it's just 70/75 arid/green? does this just change at random?

You're probably off a few yards. Prospecting only gives you the fertility % for the ground right under your feet (I think?). If you wanna see how crops will grow you should go into build mode and wave a farm plot around the area you're interested in

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

You're probably off a few yards. Prospecting only gives you the fertility % for the ground right under your feet (I think?). If you wanna see how crops will grow you should go into build mode and wave a farm plot around the area you're interested in
Yeah, basically do this, the prospecting screen isn't that sensitive and more of a yes/no map. When you're waving around a well or a stone mine like that, you can easily find values that vary between 50% to 100% even in an area where it tells you it has 100% availability. It's a pretty smooth gradient, like a second greyscale map that's hidden under the standard topographical map. I'm actually pretty sure that this is exactly how the game handles it internally.

Fertility (left) and Biome percentages (upper right) are separate values from each other, btw. The first determines growth rate, the second determines maximum yield per farm plot. A 50/100 plot will grow half as slow but everything will be harvested while a 100/50 will grow at full speed, but only about half of the displayed crop will actually be retained on harvest.

Hydroponics, of course, make all of this entirely irrelevant.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Clark Nova posted:

game crashed and it was back to showing 20% swamp everywhere in fog islands.

crashed again 30 minutes later, now it's showing arid and green only again

I tried to do the farm plot thing, which was useful. It only let me choose Greenfruit though, I needed riceweed to test the swamp biome availability (not sure how to get it). guess I need to research it, probably.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 17, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

I tried to do the farm plot thing, which was useful. It only let me choose Greenfruit though, I needed riceweed to test the swamp biome availability (not sure how to get it). guess I need to research it, probably.
Yes, you do. Also, there are two little arrows to the left and the right of the building's name on the right side. This will let you do things like choose between different upgrade levels of a building, for example if you don't have enough resources for an MK3 ore drill. The game is kind of inconsistent about whether it wants you to use these or whether different resources get displayed as a distinct entry in the left-hand list, so always be ready to experiment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you're prospecting take your dude with the highest science skill btw, it'll give you a much bigger map

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You need to do research to unlock some of the crops. Riceweed requires two riceweeds and some books. You can buy the plants reliably in the swamp villages

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
My new favorite place to build is fishman island. 150 water for self watering farms, 120 fertility, 100 green and 50 swamp for crops and plenty of 100% stone and iron for resources. Only pain is finding the few scattered copper nodes and constant kungfu fishmen attacks.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, you do. Also, there are two little arrows to the left and the right of the building's name on the right side. This will let you do things like choose between different upgrade levels of a building, for example if you don't have enough resources for an MK3 ore drill. The game is kind of inconsistent about whether it wants you to use these or whether different resources get displayed as a distinct entry in the left-hand list, so always be ready to experiment.

well, Looking all over fog islands now. Places I was at before with 20% swamp won't let me build a riceweed farm anywhere at all. weird bug i guess?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tabletops posted:

game crashed and it was back to showing 20% swamp everywhere in fog islands.

crashed again 30 minutes later, now it's showing arid and green only again

Your science skill is giving different survey sizes for different people, some of which are picking up fertilities in a different area. Biome edges can be really good for this sort of thing, the last knowm Goldilocks zones are at biome edges.

Can't you build every farm in every location, they just unbelievably suck? Sounds like you don't have the crops researched yet.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Why would you want to farm riceweed at 20% anyway?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, the game straight won't let you build anywhere your expected crop yield would be zero. 10% crop yield, 10% percent fertility? Just fine. Trying to grow Riceweed on 100% arid ground? Just no.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Or trying to grow anything in a dead environment :downs:

Who'da thunk that dead ground and acidrain wouldn't be all that great for farming. :saddowns:

I've considered doing a deadlands base, but it would have been extremely annoying at the time I was making bases. You'd either have to ferry in water manually (annoying) while relying on hydroponics, ferry food in manually (also annoying), or build a shitton of those moisture mod thingies as they're EXTREMELY slow to produce water in comparison to a well even at below half water efficiency (so also annoying) while once again relying on hydroponics. Or play as an all skeleton group, but that's boring :colbert:

And I can't recommend a leviathan base just because of how far you are from everything. Some might see that as an advantage, but it just annoys me to have to travel even more.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turning the guards into prisoners might be backfiring. There's not enough guards around anymore to patch people back up or let slaves out.

Edit: Huh. If you get on one of the prisoner poles in the group of 10 and go sneak, your stealth rockets up from hiding in plain sight and the slavers dont come to let you out. I'm up to 70 and 90 stealth already :v

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 18, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I have an all-skeltal crew will fogmen/cannibals ignore me?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

If I have an all-skeltal crew will fogmen/cannibals ignore me?

They'll still beat you up, but they won't haul you off to be eaten.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah took down a beak thing. I dont see what the fuss is about.

*three much MUCH bigger beak things charge out of the storm surrounding my camp*

Oh.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Edit: Huh. If you get on one of the prisoner poles in the group of 10 and go sneak, your stealth rockets up from hiding in plain sight and the slavers dont come to let you out. I'm up to 70 and 90 stealth already :v
That also works on cages and yes, I've been heartily exploiting that myself. No reason not to, really.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahah took down a beak thing. I dont see what the fuss is about.

*three much MUCH bigger beak things charge out of the storm surrounding my camp*

Oh.

Relax, enjoy death.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I high tailed it back to the hiver village and cowered inside.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The trick with beak things is to only have one person fight each one. Do not bunch up.
(Crossbows are good)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Was just training and a high paladin mauled Green's arm off with a rusted junk iron stick :ughh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Now you get to upgrade :toot:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fewd posted:

Was just training and a high paladin mauled Green's arm off with a rusted junk iron stick :ughh:

He did you a favor - now you can buy the arm that improves his crossbow skill without getting into the weird ethical territory of forcibly amputating him via peelers or feeding part of him to the fogmen.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The Lone Badger posted:

The trick with beak things is to only have one person fight each one. Do not bunch up.
(Crossbows are good)

Chad punches beak things with his bare hands. Be like Chad.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

How many fighters would be ideal for an expedition squad? I'm thinking 8 or so, with one being a medic who hangs back to patch ppl up.

EDIT: also, are there any mods that allow you to build within or close to a town or something? There are some outposts I'd like to take for myself (looking at you Dust King tower).

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

LuiCypher posted:

He did you a favor - now you can buy the arm that improves his crossbow skill without getting into the weird ethical territory of forcibly amputating him via peelers or feeding part of him to the fogmen.

Indeed... I bought a masterwork steady arm from Black Desert City and it's +25% crossbow and +20% dex. :stonk:

Go ahead and sacrifice rest of the weak flesh Green, I will rebuild you. Rebuild you BETTER. REBUILD YOU INTO A CYBERNETIC POST-APOCALYPTIC MACHINE GOD, AN ETERNAL METAL COLOSSUS TO REIGN OVER THE RUINS OF THIS DEAD WORLD like Beep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Hey, they walked into that thing freely and of their own volition! It's not like I'm mind-controlling their every thought and action for them.