Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
5.2 is out with EKG available for Europe and other places.

quote:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, US and US Virgin Islands

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
:canada:

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Having a cardiogram on our Apple watches would endanger Canadian sovereignty.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How do I get Apple News off my watch? I turned off the notifications on the watch app on my phone but they still are there. I hate that poo poo!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Housh posted:

How do I get Apple News off my watch? I turned off the notifications on the watch app on my phone but they still are there. I hate that poo poo!

You talking about the Siri face or something? Turn off “news” as a Siri face data source in the watch app.

I don’t know what else you could be referring to.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

You talking about the Siri face or something? Turn off “news” as a Siri face data source in the watch app.
That's it. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally upgraded to a series 4 from my series 0. Holy crap this thing is so much better in every way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Finally upgraded to a series 4 from my series 0. Holy crap this thing is so much better in every way.

I bought a 0 at launch, and didn't upgrade until the 4 when it launched, and yeah, it's amazing. I'm sure my post is here somewhere, but basically I said that the 4 is them finally achieving the vision they originally had for the product.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really wish I could find tune News notifications better than it is. I’d love to get notifications about mass shootings and terror attacks for example, but this also means I get notifications about Tiger Woods winning a tournament again like I did the other day. Congrats to him I guess? :shrug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Watch: I’d love to get notifications about mass shootings

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Tiger Woods winning a thing definitely is surprising, but I don't need any form of sports highlight as "breaking news." I can open the app for unimportant bullshit like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since there's about a million to choose from, what's a good black milanese band on Amazon?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since there's about a million to choose from, what's a good black milanese band on Amazon?

Each one of these is only up for a few months. Conventional wisdom itt is to just pick one with a lot of good reviews

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Tripped on some broken pavement yesterday. Can confirm that fall detection works as advertised.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Has anyone picked up a knockoff version of the fabric Nike band? I’d like to get a fabric band, but $70 here in Canada can get me one genuine one or 20 knockoffs, so I’m wondering if the knockoffs are decent enough.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I have a real one and a knockoff one. Real one is slightly softer on the outside edges, but that’s not something your wrist would touch while wearing it so no real difference in comfort

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

zelah posted:

I have a real one and a knockoff one. Real one is slightly softer on the outside edges, but that’s not something your wrist would touch while wearing it so no real difference in comfort

Thank you! Off to AliExpress!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Tripped on some broken pavement yesterday. Can confirm that fall detection works as advertised.

There's a Hockey Tracker app for playing hockey, and I guess the 4 series has problems with calling 911 when people hit the boards hard or get knocked over and they can't really hear/feel the notification it gives (I don't have a 4) :lol:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a 4, but the fall detection is disabled.

I had a couple pretty good collisions over the weekend too, people need to skate with their head up! :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zelah posted:

How about the reflective threads?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's a Hockey Tracker app for playing hockey, and I guess the 4 series has problems with calling 911 when people hit the boards hard or get knocked over and they can't really hear/feel the notification it gives (I don't have a 4) :lol:
I thought it only auto calls 911 after no movement for some period?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Neither the fake (top) or real (bottom) have any reflective threads.

Before taking this I didn’t realize the knockoff was slightly longer than the real.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Apple black sport loop definitely has reflective threads.

Well, not reflective I guess. But it kinda sparkles in light.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Oh I’m sorry. I missed the “Nike” part. These are just sport loops, not the Nike ones with the sparkly stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that I have a watch with a good enough battery to wear all night, what’s the recommended sleep tracker? And do sleep trackers give you any useful data that helps you improve things or are they just a novelty?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve been using Sleep++ for about a week. It has an auto sleep tracker, and spits out the results in the morning.

And yes to the second statement about value.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I went for it this morning and ordered knockoff fabric sports bands from AliExpress. I’m getting one each in Blackout, Flashlight, Flashblack, and Olive Flak for $15.75 Canadian including Epacket shipping. Even if they aren’t perfect quality, that’s less than 25% of the Canadian price for one genuine one!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I still use Sleep Cycle. Any reason to upgrade to these newer versions? Sleep Cycle gives a wealth of data.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am confused by the discontinued list in the OP, for Series 3, is it only the Apple Watch Hermes that is discontinued? The Series 3 is still sold on the front page of the Apple website. The regular series 3 watch is the one I was thinking of getting, it'll be my first Apple Watch (but second Smart watch).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I am confused by the discontinued list in the OP, for Series 3, is it only the Apple Watch Hermes that is discontinued? The Series 3 is still sold on the front page of the Apple website. The regular series 3 watch is the one I was thinking of getting, it'll be my first Apple Watch (but second Smart watch).

The S3 is still available. The Hermès S3 is discontinued as the Hermès version is always the most recent version.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And the S3 is only in space gray or silver (with corresponding Nik variants). Not a huge deal, but it’s basically the budget watch now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Recorded 30+ minutes of exercise time but I’m not getting the earth day award. Does it need to be done as one single workout? That’s kinda dumb if so.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Recorded 30+ minutes of exercise time but I’m not getting the earth day award. Does it need to be done as one single workout? That’s kinda dumb if so.

Sometimes it takes a few hours (or even overnight or more) to award these things, so there’s a chance it is just lagging. That said... my reading of the award makes it seem like it might want it in a single Workout.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah single workout and if you use a third party app instead of the stock activity app it may or may not register properly.

(also when it's a distance related workout badge better tack on 10-ish percent to your mileage to make sure as sometimes the data will be corrected later on)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Update: I did 32m 30s in RunKeeper and got an award notification like 30 minutes later.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was using Apple Maps Navigation and during a vibration my screen popped off. It still works 100%. Will the Apple Store still do anything for me?

It's an S0 gifted to me in December 2015 and I was going to limp along until the fall for whatever gets released. I might get a latest one if the fruit stand will do anything but if not I might just epoxy it back and hope it buys me a few months.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s worth a shot, might be a battery thing and they could be lenient on that warranty-wise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hed posted:

I was using Apple Maps Navigation and during a vibration my screen popped off. It still works 100%. Will the Apple Store still do anything for me?

It's an S0 gifted to me in December 2015 and I was going to limp along until the fall for whatever gets released. I might get a latest one if the fruit stand will do anything but if not I might just epoxy it back and hope it buys me a few months.

Nope you are SOL. My old work buddy had the same thing and they told him to buy a new one.

He glued his down though and limped a long till he decided to get a new one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That happened to quite a few S0 watches because the battery swelled up. Happened to mine, even though it didn’t look obvious to me the guy at the Apple store took one look at it edge on and said “yep, swollen battery”.

I think they extended the warranty to cover that defect for three years or something, but I can’t remember when.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They extended it to three years from date of purchase, so a December 2015 Watch would still be almost five months out of warranty. But maybe they'll be lenient since exploding batteries is generally not good press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah my S0 (which I gave to my brother) had the same thing happened.