Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mikeycp posted:

i've also heard butler cafes are nice from friend's experience

i'd go to one i bet they own

From what I've heard they're way nicer than maid cafes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
yeah they seem legit

i'm half surprised the gf didn't want to go last year

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
For all the talk about fujoshi in Ikebukuro, I had to walk by what I assumed were three different strip clubs just on the four blocks between the station and my hotel. Granted, I didn't go to otome road.

Nanigans posted:

You can bet we're going to Sunshine in Ikebukuro though. Are you allowed to just kind of pop your head in and look around the Pokémon Café or will they get mad that you're not buying anything? The prices on the snacks and stuff in there are kind of insane for what is basically a regular rear end pancake with a Pikachu stamped on it.

Is the cafe in Sunshine City still open? I know the store is, but I didn't notice whether the cafe was still around on the floor below on my visit.

If not, there's a new Pokemon Center & Cafe that opened by Tokyo Station last year: https://goo.gl/maps/PfLetri4cDjVUrR18 You can make reservations online if you want to eat there, the food is serviceable and very cute, and the prices are... somewhat high, but not that crazy.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 17, 2019

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

d0s posted:

also how does not being super into anime tiddy make someone a chud wtf

nah I mean the dudes who are super into anime tiddy and don't want to see it go mainstream. "One Piece casuals invading my fandom!!!!"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
pretty sure that's not what a chud is

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

QuasiQuack posted:

Gonna need more info here :allears:

https://kotaku.com/japans-macho-cafe-is-like-hooters-in-reverse-1704687152 not sure if its still around almost all the info I find googlin is from like 2015 but here you go

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

pretty sure that's not what a chud is

cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller is the thing I'm talking about anyway the point is there's good anime shopping and people should get in on that

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

https://kotaku.com/japans-macho-cafe-is-like-hooters-in-reverse-1704687152 not sure if its still around almost all the info I find googlin is from like 2015 but here you go

Seems like they closed :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

Cool. This is what the corner down from that piano studio I go to looks like:

:allears: That’s cool. I should be extra nice to any non-American Asians I see in Boston during pride.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Do butler cafe's even allow entry for men who come on their own? I thought that you either had to have a girl with you or you just couldn't get in...

Then again I could be confusing regular butler cafes with the BL butler cafes in Ikebukuro, where you can order 2 of the butlers to enact BL manga scenes for you. Oh and also drink tea and eat cakes I guess...???

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

Do butler cafe's even allow entry for men who come on their own? I thought that you either had to have a girl with you or you just couldn't get in...

Then again I could be confusing regular butler cafes with the BL butler cafes in Ikebukuro, where you can order 2 of the butlers to enact BL manga scenes for you. Oh and also drink tea and eat cakes I guess...???

You need a reservation because it’s popular so good luck doing it last minute !

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Can't believe I missed out on macho Cafe :negative:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If anyone will be around Hyogo during Golden week, a lot of matsuri teams will be out and about at smaller shrine festivals!
Like this: http://prosv3.tok2.com/~oosio315/map-hyogo.htm

4/28 Sunday 12:00
Three Teams @ Sosa Yakujin Hachiman Shrine
https://goo.gl/maps/UhbjvZcev2S2

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Shout out to zmcnulty for the tip about tachinomiya to meet the locals.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is the 'Sunshine' everybody's talking about in Ikebukuro the large department store right by the train stop?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

arisu posted:

I'mma drag all my friends into a maid cafe. It's gonna be the most awkward and embarassing half hour of our lives. They're going to hate me for this afterwards.

Can't wait :cool:

Have you thought about the people working there?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tamura-san I forgot to say goodbye to you and I am so so so so sorry

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Have you thought about the people working there?

shocked it took this many posts before this was brought up

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Great Autismo! posted:

shocked it took this many posts before this was brought up

No you aren't.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Jesus I was overselling it for funnies. It's not like we're gonna be sitting there in silence watching them, my friends are cool with trying weird things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

Shout out to zmcnulty for the tip about tachinomiya to meet the locals.

Yeah seriously. I have been awarded the title of nee-san and I will not let it down. Somehow my Japanese managed to get things across, god I really can’t wait to practice it more, I need to get better.

Hot tip: chug genshu to impress the locals :shepface:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Johnny Truant posted:

Is the 'Sunshine' everybody's talking about in Ikebukuro the large department store right by the train stop?
No, there's like 3 or so department stores around the station but Sunshine City is a short walk east. It's got the Pokemon Center and the aquarium.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So that high end VR place in Shinjuku is closed? Do they have another location in Tokyo? I see a VR place in Shibuya but it doesn't look the same.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

punk rebel ecks posted:

So that high end VR place in Shinjuku is closed? Do they have another location in Tokyo? I see a VR place in Shibuya but it doesn't look the same.

Eh, I don't think you are missing out on much.
The Mario Kart thing is fun, but the rides are short, expensive and everyone in my group got sick.

I went to the Shinjuku one with 6 people and we all bought 4 tickets, but after every ride someone dropped out feeling nauseous.
Last man standing even used a few tickets from the drop-outs, but he also gave up before we ran out of tickets.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah seriously. I have been awarded the title of nee-san and I will not let it down. Somehow my Japanese managed to get things across, god I really can’t wait to practice it more, I need to get better.

Hot tip: chug genshu to impress the locals :shepface:

:)

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 17, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Our group of 4 had a blast but one of friends was a VR nerd. Mario Kart was most fun. Evangelion was gimmicky but man it was awesome.

We paid extra for the dragon quest simulator and it was loving rad

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i was mildly disappointed i didn't have the time to go to that, but we onlt had 3 days in tokyo and it was pretty busy for us and also during the typhoon

the yurei izakaya in kichijoji is dope though. i did get to go to that and it was one of the highlights of the trip for me

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

mikeycp posted:

it does. but while i try to keep fit and know how to ride pretty well i'd hardly call myself a cyclist

considering i ride a bike once every like 5 years

You don't have to do the whole thing, you can start in Onomichi and go down a few islands and then come back. I can't really think where else in the world you could get a similar experience. Would recommend spending a bit more and getting a lighter rental bike than a mamachari.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

we might do it now. the gf seemed excited about the idea and we have enough time to make sure we're in shape for it.

i'm guessing once we get to hiroshima we'd shink back to kansai idk we've made no plans or had no discussion about hiroshima at all

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw there was a big VR arcade across the street from Mandarake in Shibuya but I didn't have time to check it out.
https://goo.gl/maps/YW4mwCToCcRvqbE39

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

No you aren't.

Knowing this thread, I actually am

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Zero posted:

And what the gently caress happened in the US? The only Choco Pies they sell are the awful dry as dirt made-in-Korea poo poo. I can’t find authentic stuff anywhere. Even in the real Japanese markets. :sigh:

Korean choco pies are the authentic ones. They were copied from moon pies brought by GIs during and after the Korean War. There are Chinese and Japanese knock offs and they all range in quality.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean choco pies are the authentic ones. They were copied from moon pies brought by GIs during and after the Korean War. There are Chinese and Japanese knock offs and they all range in quality.

Are you sure? I thought Lotte was a Japanese company.

Regardless the Korean ones are dry gross poo poo and if the delicious moist ones made in glorious Nippon are going away I will be despondent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Zero posted:

Are you sure? I thought Lotte was a Japanese company.

This is something you can say in Korea to make Koreans mad if you're ever in the mood. Lotte was founded by a Japanese occupation era Korean and Koreans consider it a Korean company, but the HQ is in Tokyo. In any case, choco pies started in Korea and were invented by Orion, which is an unambiguously Korean company, so the Orion version is the original. Lotte copied them a few years later.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cool story bro

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

do u know dokdo?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Disneyland Tokyo worth it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

In any case, choco pies started in Korea and were invented by Orion, which is an unambiguously Korean company, so the Orion version is the original. Lotte copied them a few years later.

Orion as in the Okinawan beer?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Disneyland Tokyo worth it?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

Orion as in the Okinawan beer?

Orion as in the Korean snack company.