Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

Americans aren't "uniquely violent" but obviously there is a large societal difference in the country compared to other developed nations. Its pretty obvious the majority of murders aren't out of simple weapons convenience but from a larger,broader need from wealth inequality and the drug war.

Yes, thank you for this extremely cold take. Obviously America has some unique factors that other countries don't have, but at the same time there are other countries that have crazy inequality and way less murdering happening just because it's hard to get a gun. Yes, if you really want to kill someone you can use a knife, but it's pretty hard to go on a knifing spree and kill 50 people. Yes, if you want to kill a lot of people at once, you can make a bomb, but it's hard to make a bomb and if you gently caress up while making it, then whoopsy! Yes, you could drive over a bunch of people with a van, but that only works if there's a large crowd outside, you can't cause a school shooting with a van.

The sheer convenience and ease of using a gun to kill someone makes gun violence unique because it's so drat easy to just pull a trigger. That's why we focus on gun control so much, yes you're never going to stop murder from happening in society, but by removing access to guns you make murder harder to pull off (and more specifically mass murder, which is uniquely awful and leaves a collective scar on the morale of our nation), and that saves lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zapplez posted:

Americans aren't "uniquely violent" but obviously there is a large societal difference in the country compared to other developed nations. Its pretty obvious the majority of murders aren't out of simple weapons convenience but from a larger,broader need from wealth inequality and the drug war.

Yup. Coming back to "ideal solutions" the solution to me is to have a society where the desire/need for violence is so low everyone can own whatever weapons they want for entertainment because people don't use them in each other. Which coincidentally is exactly how my archery gear is treated even though it is originally invented with as much murderous purpose as any firearm.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AlexanderCA posted:

Yup. Coming back to "ideal solutions" the solution to me is to have a society where the desire/need for violence is so low everyone can own whatever weapons they want for entertainment because people don't use them in each other. Which coincidentally is exactly how my archery gear is treated even though it is originally invented with as much murderous purpose as any firearm.

You also can't mow down a classroom of children with a bow and arrow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You also can't mow down a classroom of children with a bow and arrow

the dumbest part of "we need to talk about kevin" is that being his method of carrying out his "school shooting".

quote:

A young girl has died after she was shot in the head accidentally by her four-year-old brother.

Millie Drew Kelly, 6, from Georgia in the US, suffered the fatal bullet wound on Monday evening when she sat in a car with her brother outside their home.

The pair, starting their journey to the boy’s baseball game, were left alone briefly when their mother went to check under the car’s bonnet, Paulding County Sheriff’s Office said.

The boy then found the gun inside the car and accidentally fired it at his sister.

There will be no charges filed over the death.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-girl-dies-four-year-old-brother-accidentally-shoots-081023526.html

what a stupid loving country this is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

AlexanderCA posted:

Yup. Coming back to "ideal solutions" the solution to me is to have a society where the desire/need for violence is so low everyone can own whatever weapons they want for entertainment because people don't use them in each other.
Except children.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nevvy Z posted:

Except children.
Gotta start your kids on small caliber stuff so they can build up a resistance. If you do it right they should be bulletproof by middle school.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Yes, thank you for this extremely cold take. Obviously America has some unique factors that other countries don't have, but at the same time there are other countries that have crazy inequality and way less murdering happening just because it's hard to get a gun.

There's also many countries with way less access to guns and much more homicides. Theres also countries with similar access to guns and way less homicides.

Its a much more complicated issue then simply # of guns = # of homicides.

Canada has a similar amount of gun availabity (% of houses with a firearm are relatively similiar to America) but has a fraction of the homicides. Canada also has much greater social supports, lower poverty, lower inequality, less serious drug war, less seriously gang problem, tougher gun laws, etc. Its many factors combined.

You can look at Venezuela as a case study of as a society's wealth inequality and poverty expand rapidly, the same people with the same access to guns quickly increase in violence at a dramatic rate. The access to firearms in Venezuela is much smaller than the USA and they enacted tough firearms legislation within the past 10 years, but even with that their homicide rate is alarming because of the state of the society.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 16, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

Its a much more complicated issue then simply # of guns = # of homicides.

No, it's not, at least not in the context of the gun debate. Turning this into "how do we stop all murder" is changing the topic drastically. We want to reduce gun violence specifically because it is the easiest type to perpetrate.

You can see it in Australia. Knife violence didn't shoot up to match the reduction in gun violence, the amount of knife crime stayed the same while gun crimes dropped drastically. That is a good thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I know gun people like to compare the US to developing nations every few pages to imply that somehow Gun cannot fail, Gun can only be failed and the US is uniquely violent.

But we know that gun prevalence ties in with increased violence and increased homicide. The US has a gun control problem.

It has many other problems, but also a gun control problem.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
They don't want to fix any of those other problems either. Or they "want to", we "just can't" "for reasons".

"And if we don't fix them, obviously I need a gun to defend myself"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I just wanna bitch about NICS tbh.

But gun people don't care and gun control people don't know what it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I just wanna bitch about NICS tbh.

But gun people don't care and gun control people don't know what it is.

I know enough to get the gist, it's a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. I agree that while we still have legal gun ownership and our ridiculous interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, that we should probably streamline/fix/replace that system with something that is simpler and easier to deal with but also incorporates some background check elements. I don't think bureaucratic bullshit is stopping crazies from getting guns at the moment, it just gets in the way for legal owners.

What do you think needs to happen specifically? I'll admit I barely know anything about the specifics of how it works currently.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

What do you think needs to happen specifically? I'll admit I barely know anything about the specifics of how it works currently.
It's actually pretty good as designed. The major issues are that it is an unfunded mandate and Is not open to the public.

The system can't work if agencies don't report to it in a timely manner, and few do. Because there is no additional funding for anyone to cover NICS reporting, and no actual consequences for reporting late or never. Last I checked even a bunch of federal agencies were years behind in their reporting requirements. That needs to be thoroughly unfucked with the addition of both funding and severe penalties for failure to comply. Linking compliance to something like federal highway funding or DOJ grants would be a good idea IMO.

Opening the system to the public would also be good. Currently it requires an FFL number to use, which limits access to only licensed dealers and manufacturers. The reasoning for that is privacy, but NICS doesn't track anything that isn't already public record, and even then doesn't provide any information beyond Yes/No for guns. Opening the system to private transactions, even in a purely voluntary basis, would be great, and wouldn't even require legislation.

I know I sure as hell would run a check on anyone I'm selling a gun to if I could.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the gently caress does someone not get charged when they leave their loaded gun in the car with their kids and one shoots the other to death.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress does someone not get charged when they leave their loaded gun in the car with their kids and one shoots the other to death.
Extreme whiteness, of the sort that would perhaps compel a jury to overlook the crime based on the results alone being "punishment enough."

Railroading some rude teens for misdemeanor possession is cheaper, quicker, and better for your career than being the guy who blew a ton of funding to convict a grieving parent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AlexanderCA posted:

Imperceivable, and yes you can put a price on that. We do it with everything. But good luck with your crusade, I think you'll get your background checks eventually with demographic change and we'll see if it makes any difference. I doubt it.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1118464724058935297

But GoOd lUCK wiTH YOUr cRUsADE

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Didn't CO pass their EPO law for exactly poo poo like that? Or did the courts hold that one up?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

found her:
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1118567711385239554

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Huh, I guess we're exporting our crazies now.

Naked loon with a gun is a Tuesday down here. Harden the gently caress up Colorado.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 17, 2019

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like holy poo poo imagine just dropping that here and not bothering to point out it's Canadian teens, who don't live in fear of massacres, who aren't drilled on what to do in that situation like it's a fuckin fire because poo poo it could happen gotta be prepared, and pretending it's the same for teens around the world

Lol "think of the children" is your argument. <.001% of american teens "live in fear of massacres." In fact I can only think of like 2 total, and one has gone full grifter.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Lol "think of the children" is your argument. <.001% of american teens "live in fear of massacres." In fact I can only think of like 2 total, and one has gone full grifter.

the man on record as saying anyone who showed up to protest the alt-right at Charlottesville deserved to be beaten is here to school us on how the Teens of America think

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Teens organized the third largest protest in US history with over a million people speaking out for gun control.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Unoriginal Name posted:

Teens organized the third largest protest in US history with over a million people speaking out for gun control.

Hrmmm. Did they?

NPR:'March For Our Lives' Cost $5 Million; 'Several Million' Left For Lobbying posted:

The March For Our Lives funding, according to organizers, came from crowdfunding and other donations — including from household name celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney.

The nonprofit board of the March For Our Lives Action Fund includes political figures and activists. It was formed to help organize the event, manage money and coordinate future lobbying efforts.

Who's on this board, I wonder? The teenagers?

HuffingtonPost: Behind Millions Of Dollars Raised By Parkland Students, An Adult Board Of Directors posted:

A board that includes six volunteer directors is overseeing all March for Our Lives funds, a spokesperson for 42 West told HuffPost in an email. Decisions on how to spend the funds will be up to that board and a “student advisory board,” the spokesperson said. When asked what sort of oversight mechanisms are set up to ensure the money is going to the students’ desired reforms, the spokesperson said, “The board of directors will handle.”

It’s perfectly normal for adults to be involved when millions of dollars are at stake. But other than the document HuffPost discovered, a nonprofit registration filed in Florida and posted on the Florida Department of State’s website, there is little publicly available information about the March for Our Lives Action Fund or who’s running it.

The fund’s directors, according to the form, are George Kieffer, chair of the Board of Regents of the University of California; Jeri Rhodes, who is with the Friends Committee on National Legislation, a Washington-based lobbying group founded by Quakers; Aileen Adams; who served under former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa; Nina Vinik, an attorney who has a background in gun violence prevention; Vernetta Walker from BoardSource, an organization that provides support for nonprofit leaders; and Melissa Scholz, an attorney who has expertise in nonprofit law. The fund is organized as a Delaware corporation and operates as a 501(c)(4) nonprofit.

The document lists Deena Katz, an Emmy-nominated producer and the co-executive director of the Women’s March Los Angeles Foundation, as president. She is helping organize the March for Our Lives on her own as an individual, a 42 West spokesperson said.

I think the assertion that a group of teenagers raised the funds and organized those protests rests on extremely shaky ground.

Even if they had, how does a group of teenagers accomplishing a difficult logistical feat lead to any sort of policy justification?

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

So do you have actual backing for this percentage or are you a creepy adult who knows 200,000 teens?

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

MixMastaTJ posted:

So do you have actual backing for this percentage or are you a creepy adult who knows 200,000 teens?

Parent of two high school teens here. They're a whole lot more worried about what their friends are posting on insta than they are about "getting slaughtered by assault weapons" or whatever moral panic you're trying to impose on them

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Woah, 2 out of 2? That's like... 100%! Dang, the movement must all be crisis actors.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Woah, 2 out of 2? That's like... 100%! Dang, the movement must all be crisis actors.

A grass roots movement led and bankrolled by Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney, two common folk you've never heard of.

I didn't even say that gun violence isn't a problem. Fear of getting massacred at school ranks a lot higher in the imaginations of activists than in actual children's minds.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's untenable to live in fear in general. It doesn't mean that an entire generation of teenagers isn't growing up concerned about school shootings. I can practically guarantee that every teenager has probably run through in their head: "What would I do if a shooter walked through my classroom door?" in some variation multiple times. Your kids too.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2018/stress-gen-z.pdf

Let's not act like teenagers having planned escape routes and boltholes in their school, active shooter drills, and half-joking around about whether that one weird kid is just weird or if he's one bad day away from going postal isn't somehow insidious and a damning indictment on American society.

Kids and teenagers shouldn't have to worry about these things. Half the point of schools is to provide a bubble where they are insulated from most of the horrible garbage in the world, and they are free to worry about inane poo poo like what their friends posted on insta. That is what we as a modern society strive to provide. School shootings are a gross violation of that, an invasion of that space, and one that that enabled by circumstances that are enabled by society's choices outside of schools that kids have zero influence over. Part of the tragedy of school shootings, as if dozens of dead children were not tragedy enough, is that schools over the last twenty years have progressively lost their illusory but highly important perception as a safe place that exists outside of society.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

youre dick posted:

Parent of two high school teens here. They're a whole lot more worried about what their friends are posting on insta than they are about "getting slaughtered by assault weapons" or whatever moral panic you're trying to impose on them

youre dick posted:

A grass roots movement led and bankrolled by Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney, two common folk you've never heard of.

I didn't even say that gun violence isn't a problem. Fear of getting massacred at school ranks a lot higher in the imaginations of activists than in actual children's minds.

Or how about we look at some actual data instead of your anecdote

https://news.gallup.com/poll/241625/parents-children-fearful-safety-school.aspx

quote:

35% of parents fear for child's safety at school, up from 24% in 2017

A near-record-high 20% of parents say their child has expressed fears

:thunk: that seems like a bit more than .001% to me

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
"If the kids have time to enjoy anything they aren't really afraid so you can't touch my guns"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Someone post the kids and crew-served weapons image. I'm phone posting or I would.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
where did the 'MKII' in the thread title come from? Ironically enough, that's one of the few guns we own.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

youre dick posted:

Good thing there are no wealthy powerful psychopaths bankrolling the NRA

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

where did the 'MKII' in the thread title come from? Ironically enough, that's one of the few guns we own.

the thread title is a SMLE joke

just like the SMLE was

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It should be called the endless dunk thread. It’s dunks all the way down.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Kids are, statistically, safer from interpersonal violence today then they have been at any time in the last three decades. The fact that some of them are stressed out by the idea of dangerous but staggeringly unlikely events seems like an education problem, not a legal-access-to-guns problem.

WampaLord posted:

No, it's not, at least not in the context of the gun debate. Turning this into "how do we stop all murder" is changing the topic drastically. We want to reduce gun violence specifically because it is the easiest type to perpetrate.
If the purpose of proposed gun control isn't to reduce interpersonal violence, what is it?

WampaLord posted:

You can see it in Australia. Knife violence didn't shoot up to match the reduction in gun violence, the amount of knife crime stayed the same while gun crimes dropped drastically. That is a good thing.
The homicide rate in Australia was basically flat for a decade after confiscation. During the period after when it started to decline, the US actually experienced a larger drop in per capita homicides, despite the federal assault weapons ban sunsetting around that time.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The reasoning for that is privacy, but NICS doesn't track anything that isn't already public record, and even then doesn't provide any information beyond Yes/No for guns.
Being involuntarily committed isn't a public record, at least in my state.

Unoriginal Name posted:

It's easy to get teens to protest when your "protest" is walking out of school, on a Friday, on 4/20.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

The homicide rate in Australia was basically flat for a decade after confiscation. During the period after when it started to decline, the US actually experienced a larger drop in per capita homicides, despite the federal assault weapons ban sunsetting around that time.

I would like us to be down on the bottom right end of this chart one day, I don't care if it "was basically flat for a decade" (which seems like a very disingenuous way of framing this chart)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

It is here if a court does it, and that's the only kind that counts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

Kids are, statistically, safer from interpersonal violence today then they have been at any time in the last three decades. The fact that some of them are stressed out by the idea of dangerous but staggeringly unlikely events seems like an education problem, not a legal-access-to-guns problem.
If the purpose of proposed gun control isn't to reduce interpersonal violence, what is it?

It's easy to get teens to protest when your "protest" is walking out of school, on a Friday, on 4/20.

Yeah it's an education problem that schools run drills for what to do if there's a shooting, because that's a possibility that schools and students in them have to consider you gun loving dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also the purpose of gun control is to reduce gun violence you loving cretin