Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Rpf1s look good on anything, I had them on my rx8

I haven't bothered using mine because it's a chore parking with 8" wide wheels in Seattle (it adds an additional 3" of width vs the stock 6.5"). I just have steelies with my summer tires, hah. At least they don't bend when I go down gravel roads at high speeds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Rpf1s look good on anything, I had them on my rx8

Agreed - which is part of the reason I'm re-engineering FB RX-7 stuff to be able to accept them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda apparently has an announcement on Wednesday at the New York auto show.

edit: The teaser image looks like an SUV and has a Skyactiv badge. It's also titled "The Road to Premium"

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
FWIW, did the 3M headlight kit and it turned out pretty well, took a lot longer than anticipated and didn’t get out all the scratches, but holy poo poo my high beams about doubled in reach. Also replaced the rear license plate bulbs with LEDs, might be brighter than my headlights.

Starting to wonder if my receding paint job is making me a cop target, pulled twice is as many weeks for very minor infractions. Got that on the to-do list but never seems to be time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I actually did very much the same thing this weekend.

My methodology is a little different than yours since it's a maintenance polish but I wanted to try a few different things. I'm not sure how long it's been so we'll call it around 10 months.

before

after.

My potatocam can't really pick up the UV damage or hazing well. Sufficed to say, thirty minutes with McGuire's Ultimate Compound and Novus 3 step plastic polish makes things really pop. I would love to get some proper ceramic film to put on these, but that installation is better left to the professionals.

My methodology is doing each flat and curved surface in stages. Rub vertically in 2x4" rectangles till everything is done. Wash residue off, then do it horizontally when things are dry. Rewash, microfiber dry. Do a crosshatch pattern opposite the grain with Novus #3, wash again. Then polish in small circular motions about 1"x 1" with #2 until all the crosshatching is blended in. Thoroughly was off all the residue and liberally apply #1 plastic fill which smooths out the smallest voids.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 16, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm tempted to just buy new headlight housings off of Rock Auto. They aren't that expensive... how hard is it to swap out lights on the MS3 if you have the leveling switch thing?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Recall posted for 2016-2018 Mazda 3s for a defective wiper relay, FYI.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

FWIW, did the 3M headlight kit and it turned out pretty well, took a lot longer than anticipated and didn’t get out all the scratches, but holy poo poo my high beams about doubled in reach. Also replaced the rear license plate bulbs with LEDs, might be brighter than my headlights.

This is good news because I just looked at my headlights for the first time in a while and they're starting to haze over at the top. Will likely do this very soon.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Charles posted:

Mazda apparently has an announcement on Wednesday at the New York auto show.

edit: The teaser image looks like an SUV and has a Skyactiv badge. It's also titled "The Road to Premium"

Someone checked the website source code and it looks like it's the CX-5 diesel according to the image titles (lol). Makes sense with the Skyactiv badge being prominently displayed.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Martytoof posted:

This is good news because I just looked at my headlights for the first time in a while and they're starting to haze over at the top. Will likely do this very soon.

Mine were very bad, so if yours aren’t (or you’ve done them before), it may be faster and require a bit less elbow grease. For the 3M kit make sure you have your drill and two charged batteries. I honestly didn’t really even burn through more than 1 of each pad (just kept cleaning/wiping the light and the pad). Cleaned my license plate lenses with a green scrubby sponge. It’s like having a truck bed light behind my car now.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I doubt the New York Auto Show announcement is related to this, but there's some more rumblings about a Mazdaspeed 3 successor this time from Mazda program manager Kota Beppu:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hot-mazda-3-cards-take-vw-golf-gti/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27127908/mazda-considers-mazdaspeed-3-hot-hatch/
https://jalopnik.com/mazda-has-all-the-right-parts-to-build-a-new-mazdaspeed-1834032981

quote:

In launching the fourth-generation small car in Australia, visiting programme manager Kota Beppu said he wants a “hyper” version of the hatchback.

“I’m a car guy, so I myself want to drive a high performance Mazda 3… I’ll do my best,” he said. Although he claimed the project had not been officially signed off, insiders suggest that is a formality. Beppu said there was keen interest from “most developed countries”, including the US, Japan and Australia.

quote:

Beppu says there is demand within the Australian, European, and U.S. markets for such a car, but ultimately it will come down to how easy it is to fit this hot 3 within the new European emissions regulations.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a decade-long troll like Mazda bringing Skyactiv diesels to the U.S.. But if that's changing on Wednesday maybe this will too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There seems to be a lot of people at Mazda actually talking about this. Unlike every other time where's it been auto websites speculating. Maybe being the Mazda fanboy will payoff in the end.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I would definitely consider replacing my MS3 with a new one assuming the price, cosmetics, etc look good.

I really don't see a need for an AWD car though and I don't get why people keep begging for it. Part of what makes the original MS3 fun is torquesteer trying to put you into a ditch.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Autoblog: 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D 2.2 revealed at NYIAS.

https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/04/17/2019-mazda-cx-5-signature-awd-diesel-nyias-81jwe8/ posted:

It seems like we've been waiting forever, but the wait is finally over. Mazda has finally launched a diesel version of the CX-5 for the U.S. market, unveiled at the2019 New York International Auto Show. Specifically, the 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D turbo-diesel engine will be offered in the higher-end CX-5 Signature AWD, part of what Mazda calls its "path to premium," as the company continues to set its sights on some of the more expensive competition. 

The Skyactiv-D 2.2 makes use of a sequential twin turbocharger that employs a smaller turbocharger first at low rpm for quick throttle response, after which a valve opens to spool up a larger turbocharger at higher rpm. Mazda says this provides "smooth and linear response from low to high engine speeds, and greatly increases low- and high-end torque." Mazda estimates the output of the engine to be 168 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 290 pound-feet of torque from a low 2,000 rpm. The engine has a rev limit of 5,500 rpm. 

As of right now, it's only in the all-wheel-drive version and only in the Signature trim level. As such, it gets a ho-hum EPA fuel economy rating of 27 mpg city, 30 highway and 28 combined. We previously saw fuel economy figuresfor a potential front-drive diesel CX-5 getting just slightly better fuel economy, at 28 city, 31 highway and 29 combined, but no word yet on if and when that'll be made available. 

The mediocre diesel fuel economy, while expected given the midstream shift from one emissions strategy to another, is particularly disappointing in context. The non-turbo CX-5 AWD, which makes 187 hp and 186 lb-ft, gets 24 city and 30 highway for 26 combined mpg – just 3 mpg less in the city and 2 mpg less overall than the diesel. The much more powerful CX-5 Turbo, which makes 250 hp and 310 lb-ft, gets 22 city, 27 highway, and 24 combined. 

Mazda is taking pre-orders for the 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D 2.2 starting now, at an MSRP of $42,045, including $1,045 in destination fees. We have to point out that this is a sizable jump in MSRP from a CX-5 Signature AWD with the more powerful turbo engine, which lists for $38,235 – a $3,810 difference in fact. Given the lackluster fuel economy and considerable decrease in power and torque, we're concerned that the diesel may be a tough sell at this sort of premium. Regardless, the diesel CX-5 will be available in four colors: the standard Jet Black, or the more expensive Snowflake White Pearl, Machine Gray Metallic or Mazda's signature Soul Red Crystal.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They're going to sell 0 of these.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah I really can't tell who they think will buy this.

Why does th fuel economy seem so abysmal? Also, I'm no mechanical engineer, but is a twin turbo setup really necessary instead of using a twin scroll turbo?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Being an automotive publication you would think they know to compare mileage numbers like that they should do gallons / 100 miles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus just give us a turbo Miata for fucks sake.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Rhyno posted:

:hmmyes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Any word on the Fiat 124 reliability?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Mazda Skyactiv-D is really nice, especially when paired to the automatic transmission. It could be a bit more frugal, but the low-end torque and wide powerband is amazing thanks to the twin turbo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charles posted:

Any word on the Fiat 124 reliability?

I care not because it looks like butts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MetaJew posted:

Why does th fuel economy seem so abysmal?

It's right there in the quote - US emissions standards.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they did it without DEF, does that make a big difference?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

dissss posted:

It's right there in the quote - US emissions standards.

I'll have to ask my friend that did his master's thesis on something related to diesel engines. I read the article, I just don't know how emissions restrictions make it less fuel efficient. Are lean diesel mixtures my re polluting than rich ones?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
One thing I missed is that the 6 diesel they're working on will be AWD.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I'll have to ask my friend that did his master's thesis on something related to diesel engines. I read the article, I just don't know how emissions restrictions make it less fuel efficient. Are lean diesel mixtures my re polluting than rich ones?

IIRC NOx is the big problem, especially when Mazda was unwilling (or unable) to use an SCR system. Manufacturers need to tread very carefully with diesels in this post-dieselgate world.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Maybe it was some executive's pet project?

Even if it is a fantastic drive those MPG numbers, diesel prices, and VW pissing in the pool aren't gonna bring people to the lot for test drives.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I thought yuppies loved luxury, AWD, diesel, crossovers.

If it were the 6 wagon I would think it was neat, but probably wouldn't buy it. :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

I think they did it without DEF, does that make a big difference?

I guess they did go with engine aftertreatment, they just didn't mention it in the initial specs that I saw. Nor does it look to be covered in the 2-year free maintenance plan.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
*slaps table* TURBO MAZDA 2

*stomps ground* MANUAL TRANSMISSION IN 2020

YALL DID SEE THAT WERE GETTING THE HATCHBACK MAZDA 2, RIGHT?

Edit: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota-yaris-hatchback-is-the-forbidden-mazda-1833726505

Edit 2: not to mislead, we're not getting a turbo, or a manual transmission but I'm drat glad they're still being imported. All those nice features too...

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 19, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm thinking about doing the upgrade to Android Auto. I know a few people here did, just wondering how you like it compared to Mazda Connect?

Also can I still use any factory installed things from Mazda Connect? Only thing I really like is I have nav in my car and it doesn't need a cell signal to work. If I'm somewhere where I get no service I'd like to still be able to navigate.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

So I'm thinking about doing the upgrade to Android Auto. I know a few people here did, just wondering how you like it compared to Mazda Connect?

Also can I still use any factory installed things from Mazda Connect? Only thing I really like is I have nav in my car and it doesn't need a cell signal to work. If I'm somewhere where I get no service I'd like to still be able to navigate.

I did it DIY to my 2014. Neither the hardware or software install were particularly difficult, but it took a whole afternoon.

No regrets. It totally owns to have Waze up all the time. Actual traffic and road closure avoidance. Instant Siri makes my steering wheel voice command button worth using.

Bluetooth audio still works for audio if you don’t plug in USB. You can still get back to the default UI by holding “home” if you crave stock nav or need to clear an oil change notice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keeping the rust at bay on my 08 3 is seriously turning into a full time job.

At some point there'll be more touch-up paint than original paint :downs:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It runs as an app within the MZD Connect system so the factory nav, radio and everything else still work just the same as they always have.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ghost posts?

Edit: yup, seems like it.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I did it DIY to my 2014. Neither the hardware or software install were particularly difficult, but it took a whole afternoon.

No regrets. It totally owns to have Waze up all the time. Actual traffic and road closure avoidance. Instant Siri makes my steering wheel voice command button worth using.

Bluetooth audio still works for audio if you don’t plug in USB. You can still get back to the default UI by holding “home” if you crave stock nav or need to clear an oil change notice.

Ditto. Entirely worth it. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and ordered the parts off ebay.

One benefit that I hadn't considered prior to the install is the dramatic increase in phone call audio quality. The difference between hands free audio on the USB/Carplay vs Bluetooth/Mazda Connect is remarkable.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I did a thing yesterday after many months of neglect

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

MC Hawking posted:

*slaps table* TURBO MAZDA 2

*stomps ground* MANUAL TRANSMISSION IN 2020

YALL DID SEE THAT WERE GETTING THE HATCHBACK MAZDA 2, RIGHT?

Edit: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota-yaris-hatchback-is-the-forbidden-mazda-1833726505

Edit 2: not to mislead, we're not getting a turbo, or a manual transmission but I'm drat glad they're still being imported. All those nice features too...

Ugly rear end Toyota front end and no manual. Why even bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The Toyota front end truly is hideous.