Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

My buddy's bag had a spider crawl out.

His bag also smells like a turd wrapped in bacon left to ferment out in the humid sun. It's honestly absolutely rancid how bad his gear is. I've told him to wash it and he just won't. Even shown him photos of how bad my poo poo looks like after I wash it every 6 months. No dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a can of fabreeze and spray down his corner of the locker room every game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a pair of my wifes underwear attached to the velcro of my knee pad (must have been leftover in the dryer) so that went pretty well. I also had a pretty large hobo spider in my bag once but that was about it. It fell out of my bag and one of the guys next to me literally ran away from it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

youwantsomewang posted:

Any of you guys film your games?

I used to but stopped because editing takes for-ev-er. Much more fun to just do Livebarn and have your Internet Friends watch games and make clips do you don't have to.

Or DukeChin:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That's a broken finger, right?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My league's rink has LiveBarn, but I only play like 3-4 games a month and I don't think it's worth the subscription cost.

Also I don't really want the reality check of just how slow and bad we all are. :smith:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

Nah. He finished and was fine, aside from a sore finger. Good lesson learned on holding your paddle, I guess.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Ah, the distinctive shoulders-hunched-and-knees-barely-bent stance we adult learners can never get rid of. I hate seeing myself play because of it.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Also I don't really want the reality check of just how slow and bad we all are. :smith:

This is actually the true answer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

z0331 posted:

Ah, the distinctive shoulders-hunched-and-knees-barely-bent stance we adult learners can never get rid of. I hate seeing myself play because of it.

If your quads aren't strong enough to keep a knee bend, might as well fake it by curling your back in as much as possible.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

youwantsomewang posted:

Any of you guys film your games?

I havent in a while because edits take forever and its frustrating seeing mediocre league channels get significantly more subs when I'm playing with current NHL/pro guys most of summer. I used to get maybe $100 a year so I'd justify my once every 3 year gopro upgrade, now because I dont meet the YT threshold for payments its a big meh. I might start again this summer but we'll see.

The new Gopro's do a solid job but storing/editing 4k60 vid is a heavy task, I usually do 1080/60 then I can edit on my i7 Surface Pro during down time at work. You'd be better off setting up a camera on the side and doing zone stuff.

If you look at the newer vids on my channel they're all Hero5 black which even at 1080 look pretty good compared to older models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVsfPePPQMI

titanium fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 19, 2019

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I still think you have the best skating of any of the goalie vids I watch.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

z0331 posted:

Extremely same.

I mean, I assume so. I haven't watched video of myself in years.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Photos would help.

I didn't really know how to describe it I guess so I took a picture of what is left after the sharpening. There is just a little bit of the "rat bites" still there down where the blade would be meeting the ice but most of it was sharpened off. Now it just kind of looks like a rough edge. I'm sure it will get worse since it isn't completely gone and maybe I can provide a better picture then.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think the Bauer steel is just garbage. I recently upgrade to Tydan steel, a Canadian company makes high end steel, and it holds an edge and a lot tougher than my old Bauer steel.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Vargatron posted:

I talked to him right after the game and he was fine; just got the poo poo pinched out of his digits. I had no idea I had even touched him and never even heard him make a noise. :shrug: I look forward to the day when Maroon Pants with the white jersey there stops hooking everyone. (they will never stop)

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Dang dude, you're awesome to watch! I wanna try out goalie pretty bad but my wife would murder me because of the cost.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
We could field the weirdest beer league tournament team...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TheJetCityFix posted:

Dang dude, you're awesome to watch! I wanna try out goalie pretty bad but my wife would murder me because of the cost.

It's only a big initial cost for gear. Goalies are in high demand for pickup games and leagues, so you can usually play in them for free.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

TheJetCityFix posted:

At a lot of places around here, the rink typically has spare adult goalie gear for those wanting to try. I know I've donated some old stuff to Sno-King Renton.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's only a big initial cost for gear. Goalies are in high demand for pickup games and leagues, so you can usually play in them for free.
I haven't played for free in a while. Most places I play are at a reduced rate because they like the goalies to have some financial commitment so they don't just bail last minute. The 3v3 league Duke and I play in is free for goalies only because they're always short (as evidenced by my double header I have tomorrow).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

If it makes you feel better I’d ask you before bootcha

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

titanium posted:

I havent in a while because edits take forever and its a big frustrating seeing mediocre league channels get significantly more subs when I'm playing with current NHL/pro guys most of summer. I used to get maybe $100 a year so I'd justify my once every 3 year gopro upgrade, now because I dont meet the YT threshold for payments its a big meh. I might start again this summer but we'll see.

The new Gopro's do a solid job but storing/editing 4k60 vid is a heavy task, I usually do 1080/60 then I can edit on my i7 Surface Pro during down time at work. You'd be better off setting up a camera on the side and doing zone stuff.

If you look at the newer vids on my channel they're all Hero5 black which even at 1080 look pretty good compared to older models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVsfPePPQMI

I was wondering why there hadn't been any new videos from you in a while.

Your videos are actually what tipped me over into switching to net.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

D C posted:

We do. But only outside

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rincey posted:

We do. But only outside

Please don’t get me in trouble

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Well, tonight was... a.. game.

So tonight, no, I didn't try to break somebody's stick, so tuck that hateboner away sellouts.

Our captain got two 10's for yapping at the ref during the game, spread out. Our big beef was guys taking that extra step on our goalie when he was freezing the puck. Myself when I play goalie I usually have the refs' benefit of the doubt, but our current goalie (an A league drop) challenged a few freezes and played up some incidental contact. Our bench was yapping continuously from the second period on, and we were on the PK because of that for the majority of the second half of the game. Our captain does the dumb thing and continues to chirp both refs during this resulting in the two 10's. I'm sure he's out for 2 more games. And our bench is still yapping an out of control. We eventually lose 6-4.

On the plus side, I'm a +1. I managed to make a good pass for a tip in to our departing good buddy. He's gonna leave an offensive gap I and the others cannot fill. Just happy I got him a pretty goal.

On the down side, I've been playing with these guys for 3 years, and this is the culmination of who we are. Yappy bitchy with a side of knowingly dirty poo poo. And I've been noticing I'm more hostile to folks I haven't played with. As much as I've tried to yank the ear of our captain, there's stupid poo poo I can't seem reign in despite my best efforts (calling refs "fags" and other poo poo insults, bench peanut gallery yakking, stupid running of guys into the boards).

I'll admit this probably part of a larger issue I'll take up with my PCP, but I'm surrounded by vindictive people when I play hockey this spring season. And I think it's been rubbing off on me.

The guys like me, but I think this might be the last season I play with them. I don't know if I can stomach this poo poo anymore if they're gonna be yappy loose cannon assholes that pretty much sink themselves.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Rincey posted:

We do. But only outside

Shitter's full.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Speaking of ringers, I got tangled up with the other team's guy on a one-on-one. I managed to poke the puck off his stick but as he's trying to get it back and I'm trying to stop him he ends up knocking me over and I go into the net and the back of my head goes right into the post.

Took a few minutes on the bench pretty sure I was mildly concussed, but when I sort of pushed my helmet up and off a little bit it was less pressure and I felt massively better. Maybe I shouldn't have but I ended up playing out the last five or so minutes and felt OK. Worst part of the whole thing was that I wasn't able to fully get the puck off the guy.

We went down like 4-1 and then clawed our way back but lost 7-6. More than anything it was a good lesson in gap control. Their guys were constantly just swerving to the inside on me and I finally was able to get it through my head that it meant I was way too far away and giving them tons of space to do whatever they wanted. I tried to adjust and it actually improved things - I more consistently kept them to the outside and forced them at least to go behind the net.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's probably a good idea to see a doctor after a hit to the head like that.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Bradf0rd posted:

At a lot of places around here, the rink typically has spare adult goalie gear for those wanting to try. I know I've donated some old stuff to Sno-King Renton.

Oh snap, thanks for the heads up....I'll ask sprinker and twin rinks next time I'm there if they have anything like that and hit up a stick and puck if so.
We do seem to have a ton of goalies in the south side though, last pick up I went to there was 5 goalies there, haha.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's probably a good idea to see a doctor after a hit to the head like that.

I was thinking so too, but after a few minutes I didn't have, and still don't seem to have, any symptoms. No headache, dizziness, confusion, etc.

I'm not trying to downplay it - I was definitely freaking out for a bit. I have a couple weeks off from any games and am going to be careful at the gym to stop if anything feels off.

Edit: And I should say my job has me staring at a computer screen all day and at least so far I haven't noticed anything wrong with pain or focus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes symptoms take a while to show up, a scorekeeper in my instructional league took a spill after a game and smacked their head on the ice. After about a week they noticed occasional studdering as they tried to hold conversations and randomly bursting in to tears for silly reasons.

But that's just one anecdote so take it how you will. :shrug:

Either way just be alert to any behavioral changes.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I'm guessing they weren't wearing a helmet at least?

I hate thinking about brain stuff. Now I'm sitting here of course worrying about brain hemorrhaging.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

All of my concussions have manifested in different ways over different amounts of time, and sometimes I'm not 100% sure I've fully recovered even years later :yayclod:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I've seen a couple guys take headers without helmets in open skate. One of them we helped back to the locker room and when we got to his bag, he opened it and said "these aren't my clothes." We called an ambulance after that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
my team has lost four in a row after winning our first 10 we're pretty much the Lightning

(also the other teams added some talent and we've been sleepwalking a bit)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I haven't been scoring a whole lot this season. Queue my conversation with my teammate on our drive up saying how I felt like I wasn't producing much since we went up to a higher division.

I had a game monday where I stripped someone of the puck behind their own net, walked around to the top of the offensive zone around a guy or two, and then skated right up the slot scoring 5 hole through a screen.

Had another game last night where we started the game with 7 skaters, our 8th came sometime in the 2nd period. My first shift was 8 minutes. I was skating up the right boards and in on the goalie with one defender who wasn't closing the gap. Using him as a screen, I shot between his legs and far side of the net when I heard a "PING" and saw the net pop up. Later in the game, I was streaking up with one of our other forwards, he baited both defensemen over to the right boards near the corner as I was closing in on the goalie. Somehow, as he's pinned on the boards by 2 guys, he managed to get it on net where it popped loose right to me where I one-timed it in.

We had a 6-3 lead or something and they started climbing back in the last 5 minutes getting within a goal before we sunk the empty netter. I'm glad we had the right 7/8 people to show up last night. We played really well and our passing and breakout was on fire.

And saw Tank44 at the bar after.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Bradf0rd posted:

Shitter's full.

I'm already in the shitter you idiot

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just got the word that our first playoff game is on Friday. It's a 8-team league, double elimination playoffs, and we're the 3-seed. Our first game is against the 2-seed and I can't figure out why. :confused:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just got the word that our first playoff game is on Friday. It's a 8-team league, double elimination playoffs, and we're the 3-seed. Our first game is against the 2-seed and I can't figure out why. :confused:

2 conferences with 4 teams each? 1 and 4 would pair then 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vargatron posted:

2 conferences with 4 teams each? 1 and 4 would pair then 2 and 3.

There aren't conferences in our league, just 8 teams. But maybe they split it up into a higher bracket and a lower bracket for the playoffs. It doesn't make sense to me that the teams who went 8-2 or 7-3 in the regular season would face tougher opponents in the first round than the team that went 0-10.