Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Dead Ringers bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Die Hard with a Vengeance

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Die Hard with a Vengeance

gently caress I forgot he was in that

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bilirubin posted:

gently caress I forgot he was in that

a tour de force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5FFTv32L4

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVA20VWFqfo

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28snhq40C8o

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Audiobooks are not literature. Take it to the pod cast and radio forum.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So I've been reading a lot of mythology and folklore recently and I always wondered why Egyptian mythology wasn't as well known as Greek and Norse.

Now after reading a book on it I understand why, there was absolutely no consistency or agreement at any point in Egyptian history as to what exactly any God was or did. Hell, there is not even a consensus as to whether Horus was one god or two gods.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
crowley should have just asked them directly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I've been reading a lot of mythology and folklore recently and I always wondered why Egyptian mythology wasn't as well known as Greek and Norse.

Now after reading a book on it I understand why, there was absolutely no consistency or agreement at any point in Egyptian history as to what exactly any God was or did. Hell, there is not even a consensus as to whether Horus was one god or two gods.

I'm fairly sure it would be the same for Norse mythology if we had more sources than like the Eddas. Greek mythology is pretty inconsistent too if you look at who is related to who.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the answer is political, OP.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

they're not a replacement for reading, for sure. but whenever i have bad eye strain or a migraine or i just have to drive for hours and hours, putting on an audiobook is nice, in my opinion

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A fine opinion to have, but please express it in the correct place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

goddammit this is technically correct because they are not comprised of letters

However in this instance, I will allow them because they are readings of letters

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

shakespeare is only literature if you read it, by yourself

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Using an amanuensis is NOT writing, it is cheating

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

goddammit this is technically correct because they are not comprised of letters
If we care about being technically correct here...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol reading public domain works of comparative mythology rules because its just dripping with unchecked racism

Dude in this book is like "It can be argued that myth of Isis is the product of the savage races of the dark continent" and its like bruh

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Too bad you can't say isis anymore.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i'm reading harvest of thorns by shimmer chinodya and its making me very glad i have never asked my white zimbabwean relatives about their lives so i can continue pretending theyre not horrible

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i havent read anything except greek tragedies (and books related to my actual research) in weeks

oedipus at colonus fuckin whips tho. spooky af

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
oh i also read apollodorus' library of greek mythology which is great if you've ever read the begats section of genesis and wanted more of that sort of thing

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i havent read anything except greek tragedies (and books related to my actual research) in weeks

oedipus at colonus fuckin whips tho. spooky af

recently finished wole soyinka's translation of the bacchae which is really loving good and i love how unapologetically a oval office dionysos is

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to re-read the Oedipus cycle. I've already read and own the Paul Roche translations, so I'd like to read someone else, if there's translations with a higher regard. I've heard Seamus Heaney's Antigone is good?

Any suggestions, lit friends?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Fagles is again the correct answer

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Very cool. Thanks

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol reading public domain works of comparative mythology rules because its just dripping with unchecked racism

Dude in this book is like "It can be argued that myth of Isis is the product of the savage races of the dark continent" and its like bruh

outrageous. the egyptians werent even black

Ras Het posted:

fagles yea. the penguin edition with fagle's translation prints the plays in order of composition, though, not in the order they take place/in which they ought to be read, which is oedipus rex -> oedipus at colonus -> antigone

CestMoi posted:

recently finished wole soyinka's translation of the bacchae which is really loving good and i love how unapologetically a oval office dionysos is

oh I heard that translation was good. i saw the bacchae at shakespeare in the park in 2009 and it seemed extremely clear that their portrayal of dionysos was heavily influenced by the joker

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 22, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

i saw the bacchae at shakespeare in the park in 2009 and it seemed extremely clear that their portrayal of dionysos was heavily influenced by the joker

oh no

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it wasn't one of the better plays i've seen at SitP

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fagles yea. the penguin edition with fagle's translation prints the plays in order of composition, though, not in the order they take place/in which they ought to be read, which is oedipus rex -> oedipus at colonus -> antigone

Iirc the introduction makes a solid argument for why that should be the case though, and I don't think the drama necessarily suffers

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Theatre is hell. The way theatre directors and producers and actors treat the classics of their supposed art form is proof enough that they don't even like it themselves. It's the biggest scam in the arts

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

depends on the director I guess. I’ve seen a super minimalist black box-type version of Antigone that was incredibly good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

oh I heard that translation was good. i saw the bacchae at shakespeare in the park in 2009 and it seemed extremely clear that their portrayal of dionysos was heavily influenced by the joker

lmao

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

unless you mean cesar romero joker in which case i actually think thats good

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nope pure heath ledger

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

i saw the bacchae at shakespeare in the park in 2009 and it seemed extremely clear that their portrayal of dionysos was heavily influenced by the joker

Winning plaudits for my portrayal of the tyrant creon based on the twisted villain thanos

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I once walked out of a version of the tin drum that was inexplicably a loving musical where one of the repeated refrains was 'viva la complexity'.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

J_RBG posted:

Winning plaudits for my portrayal of the tyrant creon based on the twisted villain thanos

i played creon and based my performance on being an rear end in a top hat irl

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i don't know poo poo about theatre but i found out about marlowe's tamburlaine relatively recently and it sounds extremely sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

J_RBG posted:

I once walked out of a version of the tin drum that was inexplicably a loving musical where one of the repeated refrains was 'viva la complexity'.
Why would you walk out of that?