Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Flopsy posted:

What are you looking for in your pokemon exactly? Tankiness?

Actually, yeah if there are any Tankie pokemon I would like to know about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I like Pokemon that have good designs that I like

Sableye, Skarmory, Lotad, Tropius

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I like Pokemon that have good designs that I like

Aight. Here's a list of meat tanks to choose from. Aggron, Metagross, Salamance, Hariyama, Milotic, Walrein, Slaking, and Flygon ain't bad with an assault vest. You can check for yourself the stats on these guys and see if they're to your liking.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Well, Metagross thinks that Stalin was a good leader and that the deaths under him were way over-reported

Edit: Altaria’s a loud defender of the DPRK, too

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Flopsy posted:

Aight. Here's a list of meat tanks to choose from. Aggron, Metagross, Salamance, Hariyama, Milotic, Walrein, Slaking, and Flygon ain't bad with an assault vest. You can check for yourself the stats on these guys and see if they're to your liking.

drat, I didn't know there were that many Pokemon who believed that Hungary was an integral part of the Soviet Union

edit: I'm sorry Flopsy, you were genuinely trying to be helpful and I just used it as a setup for a dumb joke

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You play Ruby so you can catch my good boy Furry David Bowie, aka Zangoose.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

drat, I didn't know there were that many Pokemon who believed that Hungary was an integral part of the Soviet Union

edit: I'm sorry Flopsy, you were genuinely trying to be helpful and I just used it as a setup for a dumb joke

That went entirely over my head so it's cool. :kiddo:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Question before I decide on getting ORAS:
Do they keep the trumpets, subdue the trumpets, or increase the trumpets(best option)?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Trumpets got toned down because Gamefreak hates fun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Trumpets got toned down because Gamefreak hates fun.

Extremely lame. Is there a reason to play ORAS instead of my old Sapphire cart?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Nasgate posted:

The postgame owns.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nasgate posted:

You get a free kickass Latias.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gen 6's greatest crime was the removal of "The Pokemon Trumpet". Gen 3-5 all used that same weird sound to approximate the trumpet and it is seared into my brain as a defining part of what a Pokemon OST should sound like. By removing it Gamefreak hurt me in a way from which I can never recover. My heart is a cold, dead thing without that trumpet. God drat you Gamefreak, God drat you to hell.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Gen 6's greatest crime was the removal of "The Pokemon Trumpet". Gen 3-5 all used that same weird sound to approximate the trumpet and it is seared into my brain as a defining part of what a Pokemon OST should sound like. By removing it Gamefreak hurt me in a way from which I can never recover. My heart is a cold, dead thing without that trumpet. God drat you Gamefreak, God drat you to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwInqrN_auU

Use this to soothe your pain.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nasgate posted:

The Delta Episode rules.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nasgate posted:

DexNav owns and the Aqua/Magma redesigns own. Also the Delta Episode.

Was it HGSS that had the radio that let you listen to the original music? That was rad. Wish they'd brought that back, but nooo, we can't have nice things.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah GameBoy Sounds should be a key item in every game

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/GB_Sounds

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Alxprit posted:

You get a free kickass Latias.

You can get it on OG Sappire, but it roams and is destined to have bad ivs in everything but HP. I'm talking single digits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycelia posted:

DexNav owns and the Aqua/Magma redesigns own. Also the Delta Episode.

Was it HGSS that had the radio that let you listen to the original music? That was rad. Wish they'd brought that back, but nooo, we can't have nice things.

HGSS had a lot of awesome features that didn't come back like the full touchscreen menu, run toggle, and the Poketch stuff in general. (funny thing is that was basically a smartphone before smartphones)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it was DPPt that had the Poketch stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nasgate posted:

Question before I decide on getting ORAS:
Do they keep the trumpets, subdue the trumpets, or increase the trumpets(best option)?

Toned down the trumpets
Removed the clapping from Aqua/Magma Leader theme
Removed bells from Victory Road theme

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
added Blissey Bases and DexNav though

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

less laughter posted:

yeah GameBoy Sounds should be a key item in every game

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/GB_Sounds

this should have been rad but it wasn't actually playing the old songs, just simulating them with game boy sounding instruments which caused a ton of minor differences in all the music which drove me insane so i never used it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

Toned down the trumpets
Removed the clapping from Aqua/Magma Leader theme
Removed bells from Victory Road theme

You mean the Elite 4 theme. That one stings the most cause I was looking forward to high quality clapping.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

You mean the Elite 4 theme. That one stings the most cause I was looking forward to high quality clapping.

Well, it's missing from both, but at least the Leader Remix has other updates that sorta soften the blow

That gorgeous left-to-right slide 15 seconds in is amazing

Also very helpful in letting you know whether you put your headphones on correctly

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The trumpets were all concentrated into the Aqua/Magma leader battle theme.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
holy poo poo this game has a dash button

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You're sll forgetting the most important difference in ORAS, the Attack split. that completely changes Pokemon and moveset viability.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I know that when the Alpha Sapphire protagonist challenges his dad's gym and defeats him it's supposed to be really emotional and all, and it was, but not in the way I think they wanted. His dad is an rear end in a top hat. He trains all his students to use items, and his team has two slakings. He's the most obnoxious Pokemon trainer ever. Afterwards it's like the kid is all grown up now, and yeah, yeah he is.

It's like that Kids in the Hall sketch where the kid can only become a man after seeing his dad get pathetically drunk in a field

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I know that when the Alpha Sapphire protagonist challenges his dad's gym and defeats him it's supposed to be really emotional and all, and it was, but not in the way I think they wanted. His dad is an rear end in a top hat. He trains all his students to use items, and his team has two slakings. He's the most obnoxious Pokemon trainer ever. Afterwards it's like the kid is all grown up now, and yeah, yeah he is.

It's like that Kids in the Hall sketch where the kid can only become a man after seeing his dad get pathetically drunk in a field

The irony of ORAS is the villainous team leaders end up becoming better dads to you than your own father. No joke. Even your own mom gives off vibes of barely tolerating him sometimes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gripweed posted:

They didn't mean it, but ORAS totally makes it seem like your parents are a second away from a nasty divorce.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

galagazombie posted:

You're sll forgetting the most important difference in ORAS, the Attack split. that completely changes Pokemon and moveset viability.

They're talking about the remakes, not the originals.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

galagazombie posted:

They didn't mean it, but ORAS totally makes it seem like your parents are a second away from a nasty divorce.

What, you don't think the fact that he lives 20 minutes away and never comes over isn't a sign of a healthy relationship?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The only good thing Sapphire dad does is get his child to invest in fighting types, the most fun type.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Archie is easily in the top five of dads in Pokemon.

ItBreathes posted:

What, you don't think the fact that he lives 20 minutes away and never comes over isn't a sign of a healthy relationship?
The Petalburg gym is also a cigarette store.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

The irony of ORAS is the villainous team leaders end up becoming better dads to you than your own father. No joke. Even your own mom gives off vibes of barely tolerating him sometimes.

She hates him so much they don't even live in the same town. Sure she was willing to follow him to the Hoenn so her son/daughter can have a relationship with him if they want (also she probably wanted a fresh start after the divorce), but she's not going to be in the same room as that neglectful piece of poo poo again if she can avoid it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only good part of Delta Episode is confirming that your parents are at the brink of divorce and you are the only thing keeping them married.

It freaking opens with the dad finally visiting your mom for a change! ...and he spends that time ignoring her by binging a show while she does dishes, only to suddenly drop that he ain't going to the meteor shower date they had planned far in advance.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Archie is easily in the top five of dads in Pokemon.

The dude is literally there for you during some of the most harrowing parts of the story while Norman is at the gym.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She hates him so much they don't even live in the same town. Sure she was willing to follow him to the Hoenn so her son/daughter can have a relationship with him if they want (also she probably wanted a fresh start after the divorce), but she's not going to be in the same room as that neglectful piece of poo poo again if she can avoid it.

At least there's a net gain to be had. Lose one bum father and gain two awesome ones who'll most definitely spoil you and give you loads of encouragement. Not to mention a new truckload of honorary Aunts and Uncles.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The only good part of Delta Episode is confirming that your parents are at the brink of divorce and you are the only thing keeping them married.

It freaking opens with the dad finally visiting your mom for a change! ...and he spends that time ignoring her by binging a show while she does dishes, only to suddenly drop that he ain't going to the meteor shower date they had planned far in advance.

My mouth dropped during that sequence. I was like: are you loving serious? He's actually that loving awful? They're not even trying to hide it anymore! Even without voice acting the text just seethes with passive aggressiveness. Come to think of it a lot of subtext in ORAS is about failed marriages and dying businesses.....

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 18, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ORAS is when it becomes really obvious Game Freak has not forgotten about the old audience and wants us to have material for our age, but subtly enough that the game doesn't turn into Reborn.

SM have that content more often but still keeping that subtlety. It works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t want eco-terrorists to be my dads, I’d much rather that the silly professor next door who’s constantly being chased be my dad