Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is new but the close tag button is greyed out/disabled now. iOS 12.1.4, Awful 3.5.2, iPhone 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is in no way important but it’s kinda funny. A pull to refresh fixed it.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks so much for the great work on the app!

I find that there’s some buggy behavior on theme changing when coming back from sleep.

Open a thread, and the theme is automatically set to dark due to light level
Swap apps, leaving Awful in the background for some time
Come back to Awful when the light level is higher
Awful restores the thread to its position properly
Awful attempts to change theme to the new light level, but only partially succeeds
Awful now has some light theme elements, and some dark
(The header and footer color don’t bother me as much as the blue gradient )

I think the length of time in the background may be important, as it may vary on whether Awful got swapped out of memory in the background.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Good info, thanks! If it gets real annoying you can probably “fix” it by logging out and back in. But clearly there’s an underlying issue I need to figure out.
Logging in and out fixed it, thanks. Hope you can sort it out! I did have a hard crash after putting in my username and password though. Also I’m not a fan of how the OLED theme shows read posts with the gradient, I preferred having read posts marked completely gray.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Feel free to tell me to bugger off if it'd be too much effort or anything but is there anything I could easily add to this userstyle to get dark Tweets on desktop. Just want a nice bit of dark parity between platforms

https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

101 posted:

Feel free to tell me to bugger off if it'd be too much effort or anything but is there anything I could easily add to this userstyle to get dark Tweets on desktop. Just want a nice bit of dark parity between platforms

https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger

You would have to figure out how to intercept the call to Twitter to embed the tweet and add the theme=dark parameter. There are a bunch of ways it could be done according to Twitter: https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-for-websites/embedded-tweets/overview.html

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would it be possible to add functionality for links to forum posts/threads to be opened in the app instead of the phone’s browser? It’d make sharing threads with fellow goons a bit easier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warbird posted:

Would it be possible to add functionality for links to forum posts/threads to be opened in the app instead of the phone’s browser? It’d make sharing threads with fellow goons a bit easier.

Make sure Awful is selected as the default browser in Settings

E: Sorry, I misread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Rowdy Ringsports sub forum shows up as the normal daytime theme for me still, though. On iPhone X and the newest non-beta.

If you go to the Settings tab, scroll down to Theming, then tp "Forum-Specific Themes", does it show up in the list?

Chris Knight posted:

Not sure if this is new but the close tag button is greyed out/disabled now. iOS 12.1.4, Awful 3.5.2, iPhone 7.

Yep I did something dumb. Will be fixed in the next version!

Nuurd posted:

Thanks so much for the great work on the app!

I find that there’s some buggy behavior on theme changing when coming back from sleep.

Open a thread, and the theme is automatically set to dark due to light level
Swap apps, leaving Awful in the background for some time
Come back to Awful when the light level is higher
Awful restores the thread to its position properly
Awful attempts to change theme to the new light level, but only partially succeeds
Awful now has some light theme elements, and some dark
(The header and footer color don’t bother me as much as the blue gradient )

I think the length of time in the background may be important, as it may vary on whether Awful got swapped out of memory in the background.

Thanks for the notes! It's definitely something I've run into a few times, and I think I have an idea of what's going on, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Warbird posted:

It's technically possible, but one step involves getting a special .json file hosted somewhere on forums.somethingawful.com and I've so far been hesitant to ask anyone to do basically anything on the Forums proper in service of the app.

We do have some possibly helpful workaround though! If you copy the http URL, then switch to Awful, it should ask you whether you want to open the URL. And if you have the URL opened in Safari and editing the URL is somehow easier than copying it, you can prepend awful to the URL, e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php… becomes awfulhttps://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php…

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

pokeyman posted:

We do have some possibly helpful workaround though! If you copy the http URL, then switch to Awful, it should ask you whether you want to open the URL. And if you have the URL opened in Safari and editing the URL is somehow easier than copying it, you can prepend awful to the URL, e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php… becomes awfulhttps://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php…

Tried this one out. Involves asking the user to hold-copy the link and either hand enter the awful prefix prior or after.

Either way, this breaks auto hotlinking in iOS and on FB Messenger.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pokeyman posted:

It's technically possible, but one step involves getting a special .json file hosted somewhere on forums.somethingawful.com and I've so far been hesitant to ask anyone to do basically anything on the Forums proper in service of the app.

Do elements of user bios/profiles have specific URLs or the like? It might be possible to have someone upload the JSON via some method like that. Heck, it would be hacky as hell but you could put it in a post and use that. Spitballing here, so feel free to ignore.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Tried this one out. Involves asking the user to hold-copy the link and either hand enter the awful prefix prior or after.

Either way, this breaks auto hotlinking in iOS and on FB Messenger.

Fair enough! Thanks for trying.

Warbird posted:

Do elements of user bios/profiles have specific URLs or the like? It might be possible to have someone upload the JSON via some method like that. Heck, it would be hacky as hell but you could put it in a post and use that. Spitballing here, so feel free to ignore.

It’s gotta be available at a particular URL, unfortunately I can’t enter a custom one. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/setting_up_an_app_s_associated_domains#3001215 has more info.

It’s been in my list for a long time as something that’d be nice, but it goes against a guiding principle I have for this app: to be completely hassle-free for the people who run the Forums. It probably seems like a small thing, just putting some .json somewhere, but I have no idea how painful that might be to actually do. Since the Forums were once knocked offline by updating the copyright year in the footer, I try to assume the worst.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Awww this looks dope

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New replies and dark tweets look great :D :D

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ahhhh yes!! Just when I think this app is perfect.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bugs:

- pull for next page is on even though it's turned off in settings
- old bug, but smilies are doubled up. Two of everyone in the option

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Text seems to “readjust” itself briefly on every page with a tweet on it. Don’t look right.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

TraderStav posted:

I have 3 of a lot of them!

Also, on the bookmarks page, when I scroll to the bottom the last thread is half-covered up by the bottom toolbar/navbar, i.e. the scroll area bottom seems to anchor to the bottom of the screen, not the top of the navbar. (XS with OLED theme.)

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

pokeyman posted:

If you go to the Settings tab, scroll down to Theming, then tp "Forum-Specific Themes", does it show up in the list?

Ooooooo thank you! Didn’t even think to look in there because I’d never set anything specific before. Thanks!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Loving the dark tweets!

Not loving that pull for next page happens even when it’s disabled. The only thing the option changes now is whether an arrow is displayed while it’s happening.

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Dark tweets kick rear end. Thank you so much.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Caithness posted:

Loving the dark tweets!

Not loving that pull for next page happens even when it’s disabled. The only thing the option changes now is whether an arrow is displayed while it’s happening.

Really hoping for a quick patch on this. Scroll to read last message, just as the last line loads, new page!

Very frustrating.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Has the notch always interfered with text/images in horizontal viewing? I don’t recall noticing it before and it is supremely annoying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm, am I hallucinating or is pinch-to-zoom a thing now (and wasn’t one before)?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Data Graham posted:

Hmm, am I hallucinating or is pinch-to-zoom a thing now (and wasn’t one before)?

Holy poo poo yep that’s definitely new. Don’t think it’s intended though?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Maybe that’s why every time Awful has to load tweets the text size/placement freaks out for the tiniest moment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

Maybe that’s why every time Awful has to load tweets the text size/placement freaks out for the tiniest moment.

I thought that was some FOUC-like CSS leakage or something, but that could be it!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

TraderStav posted:

Bugs:

Ran into this too. I’m sure it will be fixed soon,

Thanks for keeping this setting around for us Web 1.0 nerds who like the computer to respond to our requests instead of automagically loading poo poo

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fourwood posted:

I have 3 of a lot of them!

Also, on the bookmarks page, when I scroll to the bottom the last thread is half-covered up by the bottom toolbar/navbar, i.e. the scroll area bottom seems to anchor to the bottom of the screen, not the top of the navbar. (XS with OLED theme.)

Same issue but on my XR. It prevents selecting anything below that since you can’t scroll.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
long press doesn't work on hotlinks anymore

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Getting this too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cant copy fyad flags anymore........

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

bronin posted:

Holy poo poo yep that’s definitely new. Don’t think it’s intended though?

Yeah, running into this and am not a fan :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm getting the text resize thing as well using the Alt Dark theme on the latest build. 6s+ on the latest iOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dragon enthusiast posted:

Stare-Out posted:

Getting this too.

What version are you on? It works for me on 3.35 latest beta, latest iOS, iPad Pro and 6S+.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

3.53, latest iOS and I’m on an iPhone SE.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Long-touch on avatars gives this blank action sheet now, before it would open the av in the fullacreen image viewer

App version 3.52 (35204)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Long-touch on avatars gives this blank action sheet now, before it would open the av in the fullacreen image viewer

App version 3.52 (35204)

Works properly in 3.5.3

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Works properly in 3.5.3

Not for me it doesn’t. Also the long press links issue seems to be related to the tweet glitch as I can do it fine if no tweets are loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry for all the posts view fuckery. I'm trying to figure out how to put it together in a sane way that covers four iOS versions and it's, as you can see, not going terribly well.

TraderStav posted:

Bugs:

Pull-for-next setting will be fixed in the next version, sorry about that. And I'll +1 the duplicate smilies.

Stare-Out posted:

Text seems to “readjust” itself briefly on every page with a tweet on it. Don’t look right.

As in, the text changes somehow? Like the font changed? Or the size changed? Or it moves around? (It's ok if you're not sure!)

fourwood posted:

That'll be fixed in the next version.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Ooooooo thank you! Didn’t even think to look in there because I’d never set anything specific before. Thanks!

That's totally fair! (Boring explanation incoming.) Previously when you changed theme in the little settings popup while reading posts, Awful would remember that theme just for the forum you were in. I got rid of that little picker, and someday I plan on reintroducing a "choose any theme for any particular forum" feature. But in the meantime, if you had any old settings that would override the theme for a specific forum, I figured they should end up somewhere. And that's where they ended up.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Has the notch always interfered with text/images in horizontal viewing? I don’t recall noticing it before and it is supremely annoying.

Nope, that's my fuckup. Sorry!

Data Graham posted:

It's not really intentional, but now that it's there I'm curious what people think. Once upon a time, I liked having it off because I wanted to pretend we weren't just dumping posts into a web view. But at some point it occurred to me that a) who cares and b) sometimes it's really nice to zoom in to read something?

scary ghost dog posted:

cant copy fyad flags anymore........

I'll take a look.

Regular Nintendo posted:

App version 3.52 (35204)

Sorry about that, I think Awful's treating the avatar as a smilie, which clearly doesn't work very well! I'm on it.