Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the code used surely? odds on him doing this correctly seem pretty low though https://www.fbalpha.com/license/

most of the ports appear to have separate copyright assignments in the headers. did capcom need more than one target for this though?

https://twitter.com/swiftdasher/status/1118546296447602690?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Did they let them or did they just fail to give a gently caress? I'd just always presumed that infringing emulators (which is definitely not "all emulators") existed only because rightsholders didn't want to go to the trouble of trying to squash them. Like, all PS2 emulators need proprietary ROMs and Sony would prefer you didn't share them, but they aren't hard to get because suing a guy for bundling them with epsxe isn't worth SCEA's time.

FBA came out around the same time people with actual b-boards were losing access to content they owned, because the b-board's very proprietary encryption keys were stored in battery-powered RAM, those batteries were going dead and Capcom's answer was "sucks to not be the original purchaser". People with the means to learn these keys and decrypt their own boards reasoned that they had some moral right to do that, even if the legal right didn't actually exist, and Capcom's apparent apathy to the whole situation just meant the people doing that work didn't feel any great need to hide it. Once the means to decrypt the ROMs existed, the decrypted ROMs went up on usenet about 9 seconds later, enter some guy named Dave who just wanted to play After Burner, and a really attractive catalogue of previously-unobtainable games was suddenly dropped into the laps of a bunch of really happy pc-havers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Like, kids born in March had mothers who were pregnant in winter, maybe the amount and composition of food availability does something to neural development? I mean, what foods are naturally rich in folic acid?

But this system probably never had much more than very slight predictive power and one of the major efforts of civilization over the last 10,000 years has been (at least attempting) to smooth out the food supply so it’s probably gotten much less predictive over time so at this point it’s just a historical curiosity?

:shrug:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0057753

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

i 100% guarantee he got the idea from seinfeld and he thinks he's j. peterman

itll always be burma to me

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

flakeloaf posted:

Did they let them or did they just fail to give a gently caress? I'd just always presumed that infringing emulators (which is definitely not "all emulators") existed only because rightsholders didn't want to go to the trouble of trying to squash them. Like, all PS2 emulators need proprietary ROMs and Sony would prefer you didn't share them, but they aren't hard to get because suing a guy for bundling them with epsxe isn't worth SCEA's time.

iirc most emulators have you download the proprietary bios yourself - they all tell you to dump it from your own console but of course they just expect you to google for it and download it from some site that doesn't care about copyright

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

“myanmar shave” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

i thought this was a cute way of saying he's dead... but he's not somehow.

amazingly not, but he's basically turned into his stepdad

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

my bitter bi rival posted:

reminder: it is morally correct to refer to the country as burma

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Moist von Lipwig posted:

amazingly not, but he's basically turned into his stepdad

who's happy slapping him though? :thunk:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

who's happy slapping him though? :thunk:

the ol happy slappy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
happy slappy and his crappy nappy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

happy slappy and his crappy nappy

do not sign your posts

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

He forgot to add bootlicker to his bio

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it's the "centrist" bit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

aardvaard posted:

iirc most emulators have you download the proprietary bios yourself - they all tell you to dump it from your own console but of course they just expect you to google for it and download it from some site that doesn't care about copyright

back in the day there was an invalid rom dump for some system that everybody used and passed around. some guy went through the process of dumping his own rom and the emulator that said "dump your own rom" didn't actually work when you did that lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

no it’s dumber than that he apparently goes to Myanmar, where nothing bad is going on, and meditates silently for ten days, then brags about it

no devices

what a maroon

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It seems like this is probably more about redshirting it looks like?

I guess my assumption is that astrology like any other system of belief is fundamentally an attempt to apply the pattern finding (which primates invested so much caloric energy into gitting gud at) to things which are unknowable to the science of the day.

Maybe there are dietary or other environmental stressors on development (and that might be prenatal or post natal, really) that were seasonally variable and maybe that affected behavior at the margins enough to embed these findings into folkways?

The position of the stars are, obviously, incidental (and there was probably at least some understanding of this at the time as well, I mean: “eat more bread, have bigger babby/drink more beer, have dumber babby” isn’t exactly a massive observational leap?). The stars were just the signaling mechanism, the behavioral traits common to people born (and therefore developed) at certain points in the year are the actual information being transmitted?

Like, I wonder if an “August baby” is ascribed different behavioral traits in different astrologies in different parts of the world, and how would those traits line up with the caloric cycle in that region at that time?

E: and moreover the effects are probably marginal and obviously only hold true for the social and environmental stressors of the culture they arise in?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 18, 2019

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I guess my assumption is that astrology like any other system of belief is fundamentally an attempt to apply the pattern finding (which primates invested so much caloric energy into gitting gud at) to things which are unknowable to the science of the day.

Maybe there are dietary or other environmental stressors on development (and that might be prenatal or post natal, really) that were seasonally variable and maybe that affected behavior at the margins enough to embed these findings into folkways?

Like, I wonder if an “August baby” is ascribed different behavioral traits in different astrologies in different parts of the world, and how would those traits line up with the caloric cycle in that region at that time?

The position of the stars are, obviously, incidental (and there was probably at least some understanding of this at the time as well, I mean: “eat more bread, have bigger babby/drink more beer, have dumber babby” isn’t exactly a massive observational leap?). The stars were just the signaling mechanism, the behavioral traits common to people born (and therefore developed) at certain points in the year are the actual information being transmitted?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wow you're really attached to that dumb theory

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BMan posted:

wow you're really attached to that dumb theory

I mean, homologic systems of belief and practice don’t arise across cultures vastly distant in time and space without such systems meeting a cultural need, that’s just like basic-bitch structural anthropology 101?

Do you even Levi-Strauss, bro?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ami_angelwings/status/1118666077662265344

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this reminds me of reports of thieves unlocking new cars with keyless entry using some homemade device they were circulating plans for

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, homologic systems of belief and practice don’t arise across cultures vastly distant in time and space without such systems meeting a cultural need, that’s just like basic-bitch structural anthropology 101?

the times/dates used for astrology systems have drifted heavily since they were first set down in ancient times, yet with very similar claims made for each birth group across that time

we can thus safely conclude that any explanatory power they may have once had is voided, even before you get into how areas with wildly different weather and food sources were involved

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also, people are dumb and believe all kinds of stupid bullshit

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

President Beep posted:

also, people are dumb and believe all kinds of stupid bullshit

On that note, just spent a transoceanic flight drinking port and getting angrier and angrier reading Bad Blood.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Schadenboner posted:

I prefer Calvin Kline jeans myself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

every culture ascribes some meaning to the movements of the stars because every culture can see the stars and has noticed that they move. the specific meanings assigned to the stars and their movements, however, are essentially random from one culture to the next (aside from very obvious generalities like "this star appears in the winter." )

the cultural need is just to give the stars a meaning -- what it is does not matter.

also the thing fishmech said about how all the positions are constantly changing anyway.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Schadenboner posted:

E: and moreover the effects are probably marginal and obviously only hold true for the social and environmental stressors of the culture they arise in?

I kind of think perhaps the astrology system is what jungian theory refers to the unconscious leaking into the conscious, myself

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

speaking of the sky looking different, there are a bunch of historical supernovas that would have been cool as heck to see. in the year 1006, there was a supernova so bright that it was visible during the day (bright enough to cast shadows), and substantially lit up the sky at night

would have been neat to see

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

every culture can see the stars

except modern city-dwellers, lmao

:smith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vomik posted:

I kind of think perhaps the astrology system is what jungian theory refers to the unconscious leaking into the conscious, myself

:umberto::hf::hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was a super weird woman here in sf who had figured out how to steal zipcars

quote:

According to authorities, a search of Dipo’s house after her arrest turned up nine Zipcar access cards and eight devices used to override the ignition system, as well as soldering tools.
Still, a judge released Dipo on her own recognizance — over the district attorney’s objections — on April 17.
The next day, she was discovered getting into a Zipcar in front of her house, authorities said. Evidence collected by investigators led them to charge Dipo with stealing that vehicle and another one — for a total of seven counts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

e: gonna jump off the astrology derail now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

u guys what if internet of stars,

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Broken Machine posted:

this reminds me of reports of thieves unlocking new cars with keyless entry using some homemade device they were circulating plans for

it was a radio relay. you figure out where the key is at the moment and put one end as close as you can get to it, then put the other end next to the car. the car pings the key and does the handshake without realizing there's an intermediary and the doors open

Broken Machine posted:

speaking of the sky looking different, there are a bunch of historical supernovas that would have been cool as heck to see. in the year 1006, there was a supernova so bright that it was visible during the day (bright enough to cast shadows), and substantially lit up the sky at night

would have been neat to see

there was another in 1054 that is believed to be the event that created the crab nebula

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 18, 2019

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-uploaded-1-5-million-users-email-contacts-without-permission-2019-4

haha whoops lol. classic lil mistake. gosh we keep making them. nobody could predict it haha. isn’t it weird

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1118703522588049411
kaplan was also the freak sitting behind kavanaugh during that hearing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/1118700817467498496

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

it was a radio relay. you figure out where the key is at the moment and put one end as close as you can get to it, then put the other end next to the car. the car pings the key and does the handshake without realizing there's an intermediary and the doors open

there have been a variety of different devices and methods over the years, they've changed as the key fobs have changed. some they're still not sure how they work. there was one group that focused just on vw cars because they had bad security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

haveblue posted:

there was another in 1054 that is believed to be the event that created the crab nebula

this forms the crab.