Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

flakeloaf posted:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0418-nevin

I look forward to the balanced, rational discussions this one's going to start in the shitpits of the internet. Think I'll just ignore facebook for the next several eons.

I don’t get it, he clearly committed a bunch of crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The only takeaway from this election result is that meaningful action on the collapse of our biosphere is impossible within the context of a democracy.

Also that it's time to gulag and purge conservative ideology, because like any infection it's just getting stronger and will prove lethal without cauterization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Rime posted:

The only takeaway from this election result is that meaningful action on the collapse of our biosphere is impossible within the context of a democracy.

Also that it's time to gulag and purge conservative ideology, because like any infection it's just getting stronger and will prove lethal without cauterization.

I disagree, it is possible within a democracy.

Only if we kill the capitalists.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Madkal posted:

As a non-rich white guy I feel that I am 2/3 qualified to run a province.

You just described the majority of the UCP voting base.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A canpol thread just isn’t a canpol thread without the tangy zip of calling for crimes against humanity!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

At this point climate inaction should almost be classified as crimes against humanity.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

A canpol thread just isn’t a canpol thread without the tangy zip of calling for crimes against humanity!

Our crimes are just faster than their crimes.

The french have killed for less.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cowofwar posted:

I don’t get it, he clearly committed a bunch of crimes.

The offence they charged him with wasn't the one he committed, says me, the person who is an armchair legal hobbyist and not an actual Crown Attorney whose job is literally to make that decision. There was already case law on the books that said a moment's inattention (like say, falling asleep and killing a cyclist) did not make out dangerous operation, the defence of course argued that was exactly what had happened, and the judge agreed. Bye.

Dude pled to obstruct so the sentence was already going to be reduced, and the judge made the decision she made.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The real crime against humanity is standing by and passively allowing a segment of the species to trade away all life on earth for a new leased F150 Superduty and a week long tropical cruise.

Ethically speaking, human life is loving worthless compared to a Tuna or Butterfly at this point.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pleads posted:

At this point climate inaction should almost be classified as crimes against humanity.

Almost? Pretty much every city or town in our northern provinces/territories are seeing drastic shifts in the their environment making life there even more difficult, especially when it comes to food, water and access. I used to think rime was full of poo poo but he might have been right about us seeing some places actually abandoned or evacuated in our lifetime because of how fast and hard they are being hit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

Almost? Pretty much every city or town in our northern provinces/territories are seeing drastic shifts in the their environment making life there even more difficult, especially when it comes to food, water and access. I used to think rime was full of poo poo but he might have been right about us seeing some places actually abandoned or evacuated in our lifetime because of how fast and hard they are being hit.

35 years (being very optimistic here) from now there is gonna be some resource wars.

BUCKLE UP, this problem might solve itself.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

35 years (being very optimistic here) from now there is gonna be some resource wars.

Why would they want to invade us? All we have is fresh water and the Conservatives are trying their hardest to pollute as much of that as humanly possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shades of eternity posted:

There were candidates that quite literally didn't show up for debates and won.

The orange crush says hi.

This poo poo happens all the time. It’s the system we have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

PT6A is gonna come in here to tell us he just drank some pretty good water, so isn't too bothered by the "only give water to white people" party sweeping the election.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

Why would they want to invade us? All we have is fresh water and the Conservatives are trying their hardest to pollute as much of that as humanly possible.

We have land that's not underwater.

We have a significant percentage of the fresh water in the world even if most of it would be contaminated by sea level rising.

There will be a land war in Canada before I die.

I don't know if I can toxx that or not but...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

We have land that's not underwater.

We have a significant percentage of the fresh water in the world even if most of it would be contaminated by sea level rising.

There will be a land war in Canada before I die.

I don't know if I can toxx that or not but...

I don't know, i would think China would get pretty angry about people breaking all the stuff they bought.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

I don't know, i would think China would get pretty angry about people breaking all the stuff they bought.

That's the war, china and the US fighting over... Alberta and most of Sask.

It'll be funny.

VVV Rime you truly are the best of us.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 18, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Much of the United States will be functionally uninhabitable by the 2050's, if not earlier. It will not support industrial agriculture at the current scale much past the 2030's.

Canada will be one of the few places on earth still producing food at scale by that time.

This is the opinion of the US Federal Governments Fourth National Climate Assessment, 2018.

There are over 300 Million potential refugees in America.

There is a reason China has been pouring money and influence into this country since the 1990's.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

PT6A is gonna come in here to tell us he just drank some pretty good water, so isn't too bothered by the "only give water to white people" party sweeping the election.

Mate, what the gently caress is wrong with you? I’m insufficiently nihilistic about the election of a loving rear end in a top hat moron like Kenney, and I oppose gulags and executions. For this, I’m some kind of white supremacist who would deny water to non-whites or something?

Some of y’all need professional help at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Mate, what the gently caress is wrong with you? I’m insufficiently nihilistic about the election of a loving rear end in a top hat moron like Kenney, and I oppose gulags and executions. For this, I’m some kind of white supremacist who would deny water to non-whites or something?

Some of y’all need professional help at this point.

You got name checked in a suicide note and responded by calling the guy a oval office before even a moment if introspection.

I'm not saying you're a white supremacist, but your day wouldn't be ruined by them taking over.

You completely lack empathy. You know what it is because you're willing to fake it from time to time but can't maintain the appearance for more than 2 or 3 posts in a row. That might be a gift in this lovely world, but it makes you come off as the rear end in a top hat in every discussion. That combined with skin so loving thin you can't be called out on it means you're going to be told to gently caress off, a lot. And you should, So gently caress off.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Powershift posted:

You got name checked in a suicide note and responded by calling the guy a oval office before even a moment if introspection.

I'm not saying you're a white supremacist, but your day wouldn't be ruined by them taking over.

You completely lack empathy. You know what it is because you're willing to fake it from time to time but can't maintain the appearance for more than 2 or 3 posts in a row. That might be a gift in this lovely world, but it makes you come off as the rear end in a top hat in every discussion. That combined with skin so loving thin you can't be called out on it means you're going to be told to gently caress off, a lot. And you should, So gently caress off.

:emptyquote:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey, have it your way, I’m just saying everyone here deserves better than being angry and depressed all the time, wishing suffering on other people. I’ve been close to that myself, and it’s no way to live.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Hey, have it your way, I’m just saying everyone here deserves better than being angry and depressed all the time, wishing suffering on other people. I’ve been close to that myself, and it’s no way to live.

Yeah. I don’t agree with PT6A on everything but the thread could use some more positivity and a better way of building each other up.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I think I'm going to take the notes of my esteemed colleagues and sleep on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYmyYzuTa8

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret
Even if some appear to be the avatars of our misfortune it does us no good to attack each other.

Then it becomes about the person rather than the concept and thats boring as gently caress to read.,

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, i'm working on that, with publicly funded mental health services, which is the first thing to get the axe in the modern conservative playbook. Yesterday was a bit of a setback.

However, the alternative to "i'm extremely bothered because this objectively bad thing will hurt me and people i care about" isn't "I had a good day because it doesn't effect me much"

Arivia posted:

Yeah. I don’t agree with PT6A on everything but the thread could use some more positivity and a better way of building each other up.

We talk positively about positive things. Yesterday we were discussing how a high voter turnout is good either way. It's hard to be positive about bad things, which just seem to happen far more often. I don't respond to the sensationalist news bullshit posted in here like individual crimes against individual people because it really doesn't add to the discussion. There always have been and always will be sick individuals who do terrible things. It's not worth being negative about.The problem is when a population is so sick, collectively, that they're willing to do terrible things, or in this case, elect someone who promises to.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I try to read this thread but it gets really hard when nearly everyone in it is immensely nihilist. I understand the mindset and I can't argue against people who legitimately feel that way, but there is little to counteract that. Few people telling jokes, too few detailed posts on why things are bad, little planning towards a positive future. It's all just a chorus of darkness and everyone is at each others throats constantly.

I understand the mantra "be the change you want to see" but I can't add much to the conversation at large. I don't live in Canada right now (did for two years and want to be back ASAP) and I just want to keep up with the political events and see how people react and respond to them.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret
Let's turn the pain outwards and get investigated by CSIS.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i'm working on that, with publicly funded mental health services, which is the first thing to get the axe in the modern conservative playbook. Yesterday was a bit of a setback.

However, the alternative to "i'm extremely bothered because this objectively bad thing will hurt me and people i care about" isn't "I had a good day because it doesn't effect me much"

Hey, the UCP victory loving sucks, and I don’t want to take away from that. The gloating I heard from my very UCP-supporting coworkers today was abysmal too. I don’t mean to take away from the bad poo poo that happens, I’m just saying sometimes it’s important to take stock of all the good poo poo in our lives and realise that even an objectively terrible thing like the UCP victory should not rob us of the joys we can still experience.

I used to be That Guy, drunkenly ranting about political setbacks and feeling bad for myself. I was extremely drunk and nigh inconsolable the night Trump got elected, for example. I don’t want to go back to that place. What anger we have, let us use it productively. Musing about gulags for our enemies and such does no one any good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

painted into a coroner posted:

I try to read this thread but it gets really hard when nearly everyone in it is immensely nihilist. I understand the mindset and I can't argue against people who legitimately feel that way, but there is little to counteract that. Few people telling jokes, too few detailed posts on why things are bad, little planning towards a positive future. It's all just a chorus of darkness and everyone is at each others throats constantly.

I understand the mantra "be the change you want to see" but I can't add much to the conversation at large. I don't live in Canada right now (did for two years and want to be back ASAP) and I just want to keep up with the political events and see how people react and respond to them.

Well, we do have some things to laugh about. Like the potential of going from the most photogenic Prime Minister ever to the least. Even Harper could look human when a camera was pointed at him.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

Well, we do have some things to laugh about. Like the potential of going from the most photogenic Prime Minister ever to the least. Even Harper could look human when a camera was pointed at him.

Gallows humour is still humour.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I appreciate your vitriol at wanting a better country and better politicians, but just because you don't like someones posting on a comedy forum doesn't mean they are a white supremacist (or ok with white supremacists gaining power ) and calling them that with nothing to back it up is pretty lovely.

I do love how this thread does nothing but eat its own. Doesn't matter if you have someone that has been voting NDP for a while now, nothing is good enough for the perfect left woke posters in the CanPol thread.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret
Attack the statement and not the person.

It's not that hard people.

Unless you're drunk then... well gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zapplez posted:

I appreciate your vitriol at wanting a better country and better politicians, but just because you don't like someones posting on a comedy forum doesn't mean they are a white supremacist (or ok with white supremacists gaining power ) and calling them that with nothing to back it up is pretty lovely.

I do love how this thread does nothing but eat its own. Doesn't matter if you have someone that has been voting NDP for a while now, nothing is good enough for the perfect left woke posters in the CanPol thread.

gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

gently caress off

Not that I haven’t told zapplez to gently caress off before, but he’s correct here. We can disagree and still be excellent to each other. Let’s aim for that. I will be the first to admit I’ve often fallen short of that ideal, but maybe we could all try and be better, myself most definitely included. I was, perhaps, insensitive last night and I’ll apologize for that since people took offense to what I said in a way I never intended.

It’s somewhat telling that I’ve received more grief here as an NDP voter than I did from any of my UCP-supporting, gloating co-workers, and I certainly did not hide that I voted NDP.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 18, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Powershift posted:

In a way, it is impressive that the cite to a fake suicide note isn't the most deranged, baseless part of your post. If you were going for satire of the thread, well done. Otherwise, stop and go away for a while.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PT6A posted:

It’s somewhat telling that I’ve received more grief here as an NDP voter than I did from any of my UCP-supporting, gloating co-workers, and I certainly did not hide that I voted NDP.

Your UCP-supporting co-workers don't care because you lost, they won, and they feel no empathy for the minorities and marginalized people who are going to be negatively impacted by the UCP's policies.

So you shouldn't be taking (as much) poo poo from the thread, but it's not your co-workers being gracious in victory.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

apatheticman posted:

Our crimes are just faster than their crimes.

The french have killed for less.

It's hard to make a parallel with the French Revolution. Back then, the elite consisted of the wealthy aristocratic few lording over the many due to the privilege of birthright.

Now the elite consists of the wealthy capitalist few lording over the many by promising ~~jobs~~ in return for their votes.

Who's at fault? The political elites who have built a system that pretends to be democratic but concentrates power into their hands, or the sheep who play along with it?

PT6A posted:

I oppose gulags and executions.

You're not good at reading the room! We've been clamouring for the execution of capitalists for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Wedge Regret

Jan posted:

It's hard to make a parallel with the French Revolution. Back then, the elite consisted of the wealthy aristocratic few lording over the many due to the privilege of birthright.

Now the elite consists of the wealthy capitalist few lording over the many by promising ~~jobs~~ in return for their votes.

Who's at fault? The political elites who have built a system that pretends to be democratic but concentrates power into their hands, or the sheep who play along with it?

I'm just saying they had the right idea execute first ask questions later.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 18, 2019