Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

He had the same kind of cancer that killed Steve Jobs. But unlike Steve he got surgery instead of trying to cure it with cold-pressed juice or apricot pits or w/e.

I read an interview he did about it. He said his doctor gave him 10 months to live. That came and went, and the doctor was like 'lol my bad, you actually have the kind you can get better from.'

Reading on Wikipedia, he declined chemo after he got the 10 month number and then when they found out it was a treatable kind he endured an 11 hour surgery removing most of his internal organs... and is now cured. Fuckin' metal.

PS: It's taken me 3 days but I finally read every single one of the posts in this entire thread (good posts and bad posts alike) and some of you guys are loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

In It For The Tank posted:

Even GRRM at the nadir of his writing is still leagues better than the show has been in later seasons. Never forget that Theon's dramatic triumph last season was that he was immune to being kicked in the balls.

The nadir of GRRM's writing is 600 pages of Tyrion riding in a barrel wondering where whores go, so no

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Or take any sex scene GRRM's written

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the show about as good as or better than what he would end up writing? It’s more than a lot of series that end up truncated ever receive.

GRRM leans heavily on repetitive dialogue phrases, sometimes to exhaustion (Where do whores go? and ...moonboy for all I know) but the writing is usually pretty effective, and has improved with each book. When people criticize GRRM they criticize his out-of-control fantasy novel outward plot spirals, and maybe to make fun of the passage where Dany gets dysentery. The show has cut entire factions of characters out in order to remain a cohesive narrative and manageable story for a television show, and the last book feels like things are still winding up, not winding down.

The book also emphasizes different things. Characters are younger, uglier, and dumber in the books. The Stark family comes off terribly early on and Eddard is probably not yet 40 when he dies. Oberyn Martell is entirely a memorable character because of the show and Pedro Pascal's fantastic work; in the book he's alive for all of about two chapters, and like many of the characters from outside the Winterfell/King's Landing plotline feels like some weird stab at an anime trope or something, but at least he's not called Darkstar. Many of the characters have cartoonish physical features; Jorah Mormont is really hairy. The assassination attempt on Tyrion clove off most of his face and now he's hard for people to look at. Everyone across the sea dyes their hair ridiculous colors. The Lannisters aren't just blonde, they're golden-haired children of Adonis. And so on.

The Dany plotline spins its wheels and doesn't feel earned in either version.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Sodomy Hussein posted:

GRRM leans heavily on repetitive dialogue phrases, sometimes to exhaustion (Where do whores go? and ...moonboy for all I know) but the writing is usually pretty effective, and has improved with each book. When people criticize GRRM they criticize his out-of-control fantasy novel outward plot spirals, and maybe to make fun of the passage where Dany gets dysentery. The show has cut entire factions of characters out in order to remain a cohesive narrative and manageable story for a television show, and the last book feels like things are still winding up, not winding down.

The book also emphasizes different things. Characters are younger, uglier, and dumber in the books. The Stark family comes off terribly early on and Eddard is probably not yet 40 when he dies. Oberyn Martell is entirely a memorable character because of the show and Pedro Pascal's fantastic work; in the book he's alive for all of about two chapters, and like many of the characters from outside the Winterfell/King's Landing plotline feels like some weird stab at an anime trope or something, but at least he's not called Darkstar. Many of the characters have cartoonish physical features; Jorah Mormont is really hairy. The assassination attempt on Tyrion clove off most of his face and now he's hard for people to look at. Everyone across the sea dyes their hair ridiculous colors. The Lannisters aren't just blonde, they're golden-haired children of Adonis. And so on.

The Dany plotline spins its wheels and doesn't feel earned in either version.

He's called Darkstar because he's of the night

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Otacon posted:

I [...] read every single one of the posts in this entire thread [...] you guys are loving insane.

Who's insane?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is the thread title about the show or about GoT threads in general

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Wafflecopper posted:

I think it's about the multimedia experience of both.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I kind of want Darkstar to show up at the battle of King's Landing with a bunch of fanfare, only to be immediately roasted by a dragon or beheaded by Euron or something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Looking back, it would have been nice if this whole show had been planned out properly, like the better class of serialized drama that isn't a book adaptation. All the way through til the end, it kinda felt like they were waiting on GRRM to release more material, or at least tell them what the main plot threads should be leading into the end of the series. For the last season or two, they've just kinda put their head down and started ticking off plot points and moving everyone around at lightspeed so they could get to the end. If they'd known from the beginning where the end would lead, they would have been able to spend some time fleshing out this last arc a little bit, and wasted a lot less time on sideplots that didn't go anywhere, like the House of the Undying, or Dorne, or Highgarden, or hell, even the direwolves.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Its Coke posted:

Why is the Iron Bank still lending Cersei insane amounts of money even though she'll obviously never be able to pay any of it back

Yeah I want to know what they get when she defaults.

Also why are they planning their big fight against ice zombies to go down in an ice castle that's built on top of a grave yard?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Otacon posted:

Reading on Wikipedia, he declined chemo after he got the 10 month number and then when they found out it was a treatable kind he endured an 11 hour surgery removing most of his internal organs... and is now cured. Fuckin' metal.

drat, you ain't kidding. I didn't realize his surgery was so intensive. I know he declined chemo because his doctors said it really wouldn't do him any good, so he went 'gently caress it', did a farewell tour/made a final album while lugging around a soccer ball-sized tumor.

quote:

The operation (which was so rare that the procedure doesn't have a formal name) removed the large tumor, as well as Johnson's pancreas, spleen, a section of his stomach and intestines (both large and small), and also removed and reconstructed some of the blood vessels connecting to his liver. Due to the removal of his pancreas the operation rendered him a diabetic for the rest of his life. The operation lasted for 11 hours, and the removed tumor weighed 3 kg (over 6.5 lb).

I didn't know you could survive without a pancreas. That's nuts!

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 18, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Its Coke posted:

The nadir of GRRM's writing is 600 pages of Tyrion riding in a barrel wondering where whores go, so no

words are wind

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dongicus posted:

The book barn ppl/gbs guys who wrote the gross fanfic are the worst asoiaf fans

Criticising grrm is good. but its rlly sad watching these computer janitors do that low irony cynical badass poo poo where they pretend that theyve always hated the series.

I remember reading in one of those threads several years ago now that the last chapter of the series if it ever finished should be Rhaegar preparing for the Trident, believing himself the prince that was promised and how he can't lose. That sounded good when the real ending is everybody dies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

I kind of want Darkstar to show up at the battle of King's Landing with a bunch of fanfare, only to be immediately roasted by a dragon or beheaded by Euron or something.

He has to at least triumphantly chop off a little girl's ear because he somehow can't even pull off killing a defenseless child properly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

words are wind

words are weapons

sharper than kniiiives

every single one of us

the devil insiiiiiide

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

If somebody told the first half of a really good story at a dinner party, then stopped and said they'd tell you later, and then never did, you'd feel like they wasted your time.

Now imagine that story was several books long.

the most on the nose symbolism was when in the show, rickon's dire wolf gets murdered when he's captured and given to ramsay bolton. the show story ends and everything will be wrapped up. in the books the whole war narrative is literally the no point backdrop to the literal Shaggydog story

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LadyPictureShow posted:

I didn't know you could survive without a pancreas. That's nuts!

Yeah we're called diabetics lol

Also my step dad died of pancreatic cancer, but he was already stage 4 by the time he was diagnosed and it killed him in less than four months. That poo poo is nasty as all hell and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Well except maybe Alex Azar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LividLiquid posted:

You really need to stop with your thread gatekeeper bullshit.

Its anti-gatekeeper. The thread gatekeeper bullshit is what I'm responding to:

TheRat posted:

Congratulations on spending more time whining about plot holes than actually watching the show, which would have shown you the holes were in your head all along.

Why aren't you upset about this poo poo LividLiquid? Where were you?

Lycus posted:

Dude, don't tell other people to chill, you got pissy at me for super light sarcasm.

I wasn't being pissy, you were being pissy and I told you to chill. Everybody needs to chill out. If people like something or don't like something in a TV show that's the point of this thread and should be allowed.

Also "super light sarcasm" is a fun way of trying to spin the past in your favor there buddy. You were being a dick for no reason than to seem like a superior TV watcher.

Seriously lmao that people are gatekeeping the thread, I dare to speak up and say "hey, lay off" and now I'm being accused of gatekeeping. Lmao.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 18, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The real ending is a zoom into Cersei with White Walker blue eyes.

You know she'd go full Night Queen to get revenge, especially if she loses the child.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They wrapped up the Cersy has no money plotline when they killed the old rose lady and stole all her money.

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010

kater posted:

They wrapped up the Cersy has no money plotline when they killed the old rose lady and stole all her money.

I thought all that money was in the caravan Danny attacked.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bubblewrapsky posted:

I thought all that money was in the caravan Danny attacked.

Nope, the money made it before that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

Why is the Iron Bank still lending Cersei insane amounts of money even though she'll obviously never be able to pay any of it back

The money is presumably loaned to "The Seven Kingdoms", not Cersei personally. Whomever ends up on the Iron Throne will have to pay it back, just like Cersei had to pay back money loaned when Robert was king.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
e: f,b

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lycus posted:

Nope, the money made it before that.

They literally said "the last of the gold is through the city gate". Goddamn but people are bad at watching TV.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

mllaneza posted:

They literally said "the last of the gold is through the city gate". Goddamn but people are bad at watching TV.

Look, I can hear dialogue or livepost on TVIV. I can't do both, man! I'm not a wizard!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I haven't watched the show since season 3 (but I have read all the books, God help me). Is Cersei supposed to be an evil mastermind now? Did she fall into a pit of mastermind chemicals or something?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What has she done that's mastermindish?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I have no idea but apparently she annihilated every other great house in the south and is ruling unopposed in King's Landing? And everyone dresses in black now?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They're dead because she blowed up a building.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

porfiria posted:

I have no idea but apparently she annihilated every other great house in the south and is ruling unopposed in King's Landing? And everyone dresses in black now?

They pretty much annihilated each other. Tywin was the great strategist, and almost everything since then has been Euron and Jaime. Though I suppose we should give her credit for blowing up the sept which pretty much removed any rivals she had left in King's Landing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What happened to the Tyrell and Martell armies? Weren't they the biggest in the Seven Kingdoms?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

porfiria posted:

I haven't watched the show since season 3 (but I have read all the books, God help me). Is Cersei supposed to be an evil mastermind now? Did she fall into a pit of mastermind chemicals or something?

Yeah, she is wearing evil black leather suits now like in comic book movies and she got her revenge on everyone and defeated everyone and sits on the iron throne and rules the seven kingdom (minus the north) with an iron fist. She also just bought a huge army and currently tries to assassinate Jamie. I'm not kidding about any of this. Stay away from this garbage fire. Run.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

porfiria posted:

What happened to the Tyrell and Martell armies? Weren't they the biggest in the Seven Kingdoms?

She outwitted and destroyed them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

porfiria posted:

The bulk of the Tyrell army was House Tarly and their people. Jaime appealed to Lord Tarly's xenophobic side and convinced him to abandon his oath to House Tyrell to fight the 'horde of savages'. House Martell is leaderless and stuck in Dorne after Euron captured Ellaria Sand and sank the iron fleet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

porfiria posted:

No, they said the Lannister Army was the biggest. The Reach got divided in the civil war, then Jaime juked the Tyrells, Dorne peaced out after a Euron raid decapitated them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't being pissy, you were being pissy

No u

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Tywin was the master of thinking inside the box of feudal politics. Cersei's genius was realizing that it was holding her back and that she could just blow it up. She's basically an Enlightenment ruler trying to reform her kingdom from a backwards feudal state into a modern one - a desire they had already laid the groundwork for in previous seasons, with both Cersei and Joffrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you think about it, Crazy Aunt Lysa has the best strategy of all.

Even now the Vale army is intact and it hasn’t been plundered once.

Yeah just stay in your castle and hire the overpowered assassins to kill your enemies.

Wafflecopper posted:

It's about life in general.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 18, 2019