Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
As that's the Japanese lineup, shouldn't we take it with a grain of salt given the US/EU release list might still be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Musha Aleste, maybe. But beautiful Disney platformers will probably be global.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hybrid Front, now that won't be outside Japan.

Landstalker, Contra: Hard Corps, Dyna Brothers 2 (a Sega Channel exclusive)

Healbot fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 18, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What's the title of this Sega Channel compilation thing they are showing? I had no idea there was a Mega Drive version of Penguin Land but it looks great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What's the title of this Sega Channel compilation thing they are showing? I had no idea there was a Mega Drive version of Penguin Land but it looks great.

Game no Kanzume Otokuyou https://segaretro.org/Game_no_Kanzume_Otokuyou

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thanks, gonna play this all day.

3 megabytes, holy mackerel.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's several games in one, including Fatal Labyrinth.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Penguin Land is so good I named myself after it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Thanks, gonna play this all day.

3 megabytes, holy mackerel.

poo poo, that's going to take you all day to download.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
With bloodlines and hard corps hopefully we get rocket knight as well.

Looks like they’re going for a good variety in game selection on the jp version at least. Altered Beast is still a sore spot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Overbite posted:

With bloodlines and hard corps hopefully we get rocket knight as well.

Looks like they’re going for a good variety in game selection on the jp version at least. Altered Beast is still a sore spot.

I am a superfan of Hard Corps, but man, I wish it was on the Switch :negative: I just want all of my games on ONE system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I am a superfan of Hard Corps, but man, I wish it was on the Switch :negative: I just want all of my games on ONE system.

Konami has a Contra collection coming, it'll probably be in that.

The Castlevania collection coming next month has Bloodlines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://genesismini.sega.com/

US/EU aren't getting MUSHA, Hybrid Front, Dyna Wars or Game no Kanzume, but they are getting

Castle of Illusion
Shinobi 3
Earthworm Jim

plus Sonic 2 which Japan had from the start.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay, with those new 10 revealed, the Genesis Mini is starting to get a pretty interesting lineup. And there's 20 more to go, so who knows what other surprises could be in there. I would never have expected Disney to be onboard for this

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There’s probably a bunch of politics involved but why do they put bad games in these things? All of these mini consoles have a few turds mixed in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Put Crusader of Centy on there :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Overbite posted:

There’s probably a bunch of politics involved but why do they put bad games in these things? All of these mini consoles have a few turds mixed in.

I thought the SNES one had a fantastic line up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Overbite posted:

most likely ease of availability, combined with historically strong-enough sales or name recognition to justify it

it's all marketing, there isn't someone who's a Video Games Expert deciding if a game is good enough to include or anything.

in the case of the Genesis mini, and it having 40 games, some of it is probably wanting to hit that number so they can soundly outdo Nintendo's mini consoles in terms of games included. gotta keep the console wars alive

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Overbite posted:

There's a lot of nostalgia pull for certain games that outweighs their marketing value as genuinely fun experiences. Like, the PS Classic was packed with weird euro garbage that doesn't hold up but all that crap was definitely emblematic of what was around and being played at the time, so I can see the logic behind the choice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Earthworm Jim was never really a great game but I do think Genesis when I think of it so I’m glad it made it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Earthworm Jim was never really a great game but I do think Genesis when I think of it so I’m glad it made it.

i just wonder if we'll be able to mod the thing to swap that out for the Sega CD version

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

http://genesismini.sega.com/

US/EU aren't getting MUSHA, Hybrid Front, Dyna Wars or Game no Kanzume, but they are getting

Castle of Illusion
Shinobi 3
Earthworm Jim

plus Sonic 2 which Japan had from the start.

love 2 validate doug tennapel in 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress Super Ghouls and Ghosts

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

love 2 validate doug tennapel in 2019

He doesn't own the franchise, does he? I get what you mean but if it's not putting money in his pocket then whatever, I never cared for EWJ so it's easy to go on not thinking about it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

After hearing Doug TenNapel on his podcast, he doesn't seem nearly as monstrous as articles make him out to be. He's just an evangelical Christian whom probably said some poo poo through King James level goggles—not nearly as contemptuous as you might think, more like a grandfather that you'd disagree at dinner with

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

gently caress Super Ghouls and Ghosts

I like that game! I can’t get past the first level though.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Spellman posted:

After hearing Doug TenNapel on his podcast, he doesn't seem nearly as monstrous as articles make him out to be. He's just an evangelical Christian whom probably said some poo poo through King James level goggles—not nearly as contemptuous as you might think, more like a grandfather that you'd disagree at dinner with

I'm sure he sounds nice on what I assume is a hugbox of a podcast but he's written for breitbart and he's absolutely still on his bullshit, he's an enormous piece of poo poo.

I know he probably won't make a cent from this but I don't need to be reminded of that rear end in a top hat when I'm scrolling through the games on this thing, but it'll probably be easy to mod out so whatever.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Doug Tennaple is a hateful, evil, garbage pile of a man. but he doesn't own EWJ and isnt seeing any money from this, at least.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Spellman posted:

I didn't know about Tennapal at all even though I loved the Earthworm Jim games as a kid, until I read this article back when it was published. It didn't really sell me on hating him or whatever but then he pops up in the comments and lmao.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

I didn't know about Tennapal at all even though I loved the Earthworm Jim games as a kid, until I read this article back when it was published. It didn't really sell me on hating him or whatever but then he pops up in the comments and lmao.

Ya, I knew him for that article too. It was only fairly recently brought to my attention that he has a YouTube channel. Whenever a game he's worked on comes up, it usually comes back to this

Fawf posted:

I'm sure he sounds nice on what I assume is a hugbox of a podcast but he's written for breitbart and he's absolutely still on his bullshit, he's an enormous piece of poo poo.

I know him for his 1 on 1 interviews on The Doug Show (mid-2018), where he's frequently interviewed people from anywhere on the political/(a)religious spectrum, oftentimes very counter to his own beliefs. Though he has hardened stances on his core beliefs, he's shown himself to be fairly open to listening to those he disagrees with when they are civil towards him. Pretty soft-spoken, overall

I have no doubt he can be pretty antagonistic on Twitter, but those disagree with him haunt his online presence too, pretty ready to stir his poo poo up with some extremely rude bait aswell. It's just how people talk on the internet now IMO, but take it as you wish

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Christ just stop, the man hasn't been subtle about viewing segments of the population as subhuman and defending his views as simple disagreements is super lovely.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SeANMcBAY posted:

For the most part yes, but including F-Zero was definitely a mistake, also if they had to include only 1 Donkey Kong Country game it should have been 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
F-Zero's rad, gently caress all yall

The only real dud was that soccer game that's on the Japanese version, other than that the games are all fine, even juddery old Starfox. It's more that there just weren't enough games for a well-rounded collection - no beat em ups, no shmups, no puzzle games on the overseas version, etc.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FZero rules and is still pretty fun. It aged better than Mario Kart 1 imo.

Thankfully the system is so easy to hack to add the few classics that were missing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

F-Zero is the prime example of the first entry of a series being immediately rendered pointless by the second. Much like Super Mario Kart.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

njsykora posted:

F-Zero is the prime example of the first entry of a series being immediately rendered pointless by the second. Much like Super Mario Kart.

Ya, if anyone knew there was a 2nd F-Zero, lolol

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

If your SNES classic doesn't have Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack on it, you barely own a SNES classic at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

F-Zero X was some magical poo poo. I’m sure it was the first 60fps 3D game I played and I totally noticed even if I didn’t know what framerates were as a kid. I just thought it felt so smooth and that it stood out on N64.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spellman posted:

Yeah, why was this? I didn't know about it until I got it on the Wii VC, and I absolutely loved it. It was just so incredible.

The weird thing is that I didn't have a a SNES growing up, but of course I heard of, saw, and played a bit of F-Zero.

I had an N64 shortly after it came out, loved it, and didn't know F-Zero X existed until about 11-12 years later.

Was Nintendo just that terrible at marketing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was Nintendo just that terrible at marketing it?

We haven’t seen a new F-Zero game since 2004 so that should answer your question.