Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Any updates from Senate Republicans on how concerned they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pathetic little tramp posted:

The strategy is literally "Let all the insanely bad poo poo hang out there and just say NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION real loud and watch the media fall in line"

Which uh...didn't happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I knew this was going to be bad for Trump but good lord you pretty much could not write anything more damning without just calling it something way worse

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Which uh...didn't happen.

I am kinda of looking forward to trump straight up denying all of this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat no poo poo.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1118912526249529345

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone who reads this and think Mueller isn't saying Trump obstructed justice and is referring him for impeachment is immune to subtext, like if he had taken an ad out in times square bracketed by neon lights it would be more subtle than what has come out so far.

In the Mueller report:

-Obstruction of justice isn't required to be successful to be criminal
-The only reason the investigation wasn't obstructed was because Trump subordinates refused his orders
-The only reason Trump's subordinates aren't in prison is they refused his orders.
-There could be even more evidence for obstruction but Trumps team lied/deleted things
-The reason we're not making an affirmative declaration of obstruction is because constitutionally we cannot prosecute the president and only congress can make that decision
-Really guys, our lack of reccomendation has nothing to do with him being innocent, we totally aren't saying he's innocent, just that it's congresses call.
-Also, just in case you're curious, when he leaves office we can go back and decide to prosecute, no reason we'd bring that up jus sayin'

I mean come on

edit: oh yeah, and Mueller takes time to point out why a bunch of defenses the president's allies have been making in public are bullshit.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 18, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I listened to an interview on NPR with Bill Weld. When asked what the most important thing he'd address in the first 100 days of his presidency, he emphatically said spending, we need to cut government spending it's out of control.

Oh yeah he's a complete piece of poo poo, I just like seeing pieces of poo poo tear each other to pieces.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

eke out posted:

remember those stories about trump officials being worried that the report will name them, and make trump furious?

it was definitely shucks

The Mouth of Sauron being outed as a liar by her own words is satisfying in ways I did not anticipate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1118882322638614529

lol this dumb bitch

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

If Anthony Atamanuik doesn't play the lead role, there's no justice in the world.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Someone let me know when the unredacted version is released so I can buy a hard copy to display on my bookshelf for woke cred

nice posts man! heck yeah!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Greenwald continues to angle for being the Julian Assange of the mid 2010s (minus the sex pest stuff and hiding in an Ecuadorian consulate, thankfully)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/rvawonk/status/1118912859403161605?s=21

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty confident that the redacting isn't an attempt at a cover-up, because if you were doing that, you'd redact a shitload more than he did.

That doesn't mean there isn't stuff in there that looks really, really bad - but it probably is actually concerns for other active cases, national security concerns, etc etc.
Yeah, as much as people want to connect the redaction to the 18½ minute gap, trying that in this case is probably a great way to get Adam Schiff to read the redacted portions into the Congressional record about 30 seconds after someone from Mueller's team leaks them to WaPo.

That said, "Harm to Ongoing Matter" also means there was enough there there that even Barr (probably) couldn't bring himself to shut that part of it down.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

What is he talking about? Is he still clinging to "B-b-b-but Mueller didn't explicitly say Trump was guilty so therefore the libs are triggered!" even thought the report is wall-to-wall crimes and multiple disguised impeachment referrals? I mean, gently caress Mueller for kicking the can to somebody else but the report is pretty damning!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Alright gang, we're going to rob every bank in America then say we were too stupid to know it was illegal. Guys, the thermal ignorance, go get it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I legit am wondering if Barr actually comprehended what he read because the report literally is 448 pages of non-stop crimes and corruption and the recommendation to congress to be a check to Trump is clear as day

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trying to raise that presidential profile a little, eh eric?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

If nothing else this has disproven the theories that it was all just underlings working on his behalf and he was (willfully or otherwise) ignorant of it.

I mean that theory has been disproven to anyone paying attention to Trump's own words for years.

theflyingorc posted:

The people plugged in enough to see the full extent of what's come out of the report are already not undecided

Anyone swayed by it will find out what the news is when they get home after work

Maybe, I'm just assuming that most of America have already formed an opinion on if Trump is a crook or not and how they view this report will be based on that.

So I grabbed a Qu poll: https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/us/us03052019_uyvk36.pdf/

5% of Americans didn't know if Trump is honest, the rest think one way or another
7% of Americans didn't know if Congress should start impeachment proceedings, the rest have made up their mind (Also "yes" has polled consistently at 35% since 2018)
19% of Americans didn't know if Mulluer was going to be fair, if my guess is correct, in the next poll will show this more closely mirroring the "trump is honest" split now we know the results
13% of Americans didn't know if Trump committed any crimes, if this group swings towards "he did crimes" then that's evidence the report is changing minds

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I knew this was going to be bad for Trump but good lord you pretty much could not write anything more damning without just calling it something way worse

Yeah, I thought we were getting the neutered version, but holy poo poo it seems like all the worst bits were left in. Either: A) Whatever Barr covered up is somehow, against all logic, even worse or B) Barr forgot to actually read the report or got bored halfway through and forgot to censor the bad parts.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

1stGear posted:

What is he talking about? Is he still clinging to "B-b-b-but Mueller didn't explicitly say Trump was guilty so therefore the libs are triggered!" even thought the report is wall-to-wall crimes and multiple disguised impeachment referrals? I mean, gently caress Mueller for kicking the can to somebody else but the report is pretty damning!

These are tweets from during the Barr conference before the Mueller report dropped

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1118914400826662915

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Delthalaz posted:

These are tweets from during the Barr conference before the Mueller report dropped

Ah, okay. That makes more sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: NVM, timestamps are hard.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

1stGear posted:

he's talking about this bit, OP

how dare Mueller not do the thing they were all hoping he would do

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I legit am wondering if Barr actually comprehended what he read because the report literally is 448 pages of non-stop crimes and corruption and the recommendation to congress to be a check to Trump is clear as day

Of course, which is why didn't deny that crimes occurred, he just tried to create a plausible reason for why they were actually legal.

It just sounds stupid because the only possible defense of that is stupid.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I thought we were getting the neutered version, but holy poo poo it seems like all the worst bits were left in. Either: A) Whatever Barr covered up is somehow, against all logic, even worse or B) Barr forgot to actually read the report or got bored halfway through and forgot to censor the bad parts.

From what I've read, a bunch of the bigger redactions come conspicuously right after the Trump children are brought up

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TGLT posted:

Alright gang, we're going to rob every bank in America then say we were too stupid to know it was illegal.

Can it be every billionaire as well? Can we divide the money to everyone in America afterwards?

I'm onboard

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
Lawyers never take notes!

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1118906440641581057

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TGLT posted:

Alright gang, we're going to rob every bank in America then say we were too stupid to know it was illegal.

There are different mens rea requirements for different crimes, yes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Not willing to look myself because I value my brain cells and don't want to kill them (unless it's with delicious, delicious alcohol): What is Fox News saying about the report?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, submitting a report that's just solid black would look mighty suspicious. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FizFashizzle posted:

Trying to raise that presidential profile a little, eh eric?
Yes but he’s also correct. The AG is not the President’s attorney but if you watched that joke of a press conference you would not be able to tell the difference.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/wuerker/status/1118914401392893954

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I wish Evil Weasel still posted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1118914880332009477

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's a shame the "This is the end of my Presidency" is such a perfect quote for this thread title, because this is a close runner-up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Can it be every billionaire as well? Can we divide the money to everyone in America afterwards?

I'm onboard

It's time to get our national payday.

theflyingorc posted:

There are different mens rea requirements for different crimes, yes

I mean yeah, some crimes are rich people crimes and some crimes are poor people crimes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Reading the Muller Report is like the spiel of a used cars salesman in a commercial but the word “car” has been replaced with “crime”: “I have big crimes, small crimes. New and slightly used crimes! I have to liquidate all these crimes because my stock of crimes is just too big! Low credit? No money for a down payment? Don’t worry I’ll have the perfect crime for you no questions asked!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kissinger's "defense" of Nixon for years was that Nixon was probably just ranting about Watergate and someone was stupid enough to take him seriously for once. I think the tapes pretty conclusively demonstrated specific intent, so the idea that he was just blowing off steam turned out to be false, but the basic idea that there's a filter of people who need to be smart enough to keep corrupt presidents from doing insanely stupid crimes seems not to be totally flawed.