Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Schadenboner posted:

Our five year old marched into our room this morning, naked as a jay, and he announced “Look at how beautiful I am”.

Adorable! I love watching my kids transition from toddlers to little kids - they use grown-up phrases on each other and try to reason like big kids. It's pretty darn cute.

Except when they use your own words back on you, which is humbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Boz0r posted:

I found this guide. What do you do if the baby never stops crying? I assume he will, but I just can't image him stopping crying by himself.

We tried cry it out and it didn't work because our kid would just get more and more worked up until it sounded like someone was murdering a velociraptor in the nursery. What we found was key to a good night sleep was a consistent routine. Every night at the same time we get him in his sleep sack, feed him a big bottle, turn on the white noise machine and hold him until he's sleepy. He fussed for the first few nights but now that he knows what to expect he sleeps like a champ (at night, he's still not great at day naps). The particulars of the routine aren't as important as doing the exact same thing every single time. Once he associates that routine with sleep it gets a lot easier.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I inherited a teenager last year from our lovely parents. Anyone have advice for raising him? I'm feeding him and making him go to school, so already better than our dad, but I'll try to enforce rules and he'll start getting huffy and dismantling his things :psyduck:

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

nwin posted:

What's the next step up from a bouncer for our kid? He's 5 months old, 17 pounds, and maybe 25" tall and his legs are just starting to go over the end of the bouncer when we put him in it. Ours has a max weight of 20 pounds on it.

We like the bouncer because we can put him in it and clip him in and let him hang out there while we're in the kitchen making dinner, etc. Any ideas for something similar we can put him in while we're doing things and can't hold him? Who knows-maybe at 6 months or whenever he starts crawling he's not going to want to sit anywhere and we'll have to do something else-just trying to think of new alternatives we can put him in for when it's in the morning and I'm making breakfast but I'm up with him at the same time, etc.

an infant to toddler rocker would be the spiritual successor to a bouncer

My son is 7 months and in the morning, he goes straight into the high chair. He has an older sister to help entertain him and add more puffs and poo poo to his tray after he flings them all off.

1up fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 18, 2019

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Serious Cephalopod posted:

I inherited a teenager last year from our lovely parents. Anyone have advice for raising him? I'm feeding him and making him go to school, so already better than our dad, but I'll try to enforce rules and he'll start getting huffy and dismantling his things :psyduck:

You should check out the foster/adopt page in Ask/Tell, sounds like they would have better advice for traumatized teenagers than most of us in here.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

calandryll posted:

We started our daughter in one of these around 5-5.5 months. The first time in it I swear she bounced/jumped for 45 minutes straight. Now it's just an efficient way to get to her to poop if she hasn't in a few days. :lol:

I should take a video of it, but my kid figured out how to use his to get around the room. He rocks forward and back, but extra hard on the back so it scoots. A friend of ours joked that he's just training for row team.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

VorpalBunny posted:

Adorable! I love watching my kids transition from toddlers to little kids - they use grown-up phrases on each other and try to reason like big kids. It's pretty darn cute.

Except when they use your own words back on you, which is humbling.

Slightly later stage of development, but my wife and I were watching Avengers: Infinity War one evening the other week, at probably too high a volume, and my 7-year-old walks in and announces she can't sleep because of all the "graphic violence".

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

VorpalBunny posted:

You should check out the foster/adopt page in Ask/Tell, sounds like they would have better advice for traumatized teenagers than most of us in here.

Thank you! I'll look it up!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Good luck! That's a pretty big deal for you and him, but in a good, albeit hard, sort of way.

Out of curiosity, is this a brother of yours, or a kid they were fostering?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Checking in to say we're in Day 2 of toilet training, following the 3 day potty training method.

Tiny human pee a lot. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting worse sleep as I'm dozing at night trying to keep an ear out for when she needs to go, as recommended by the method.

On the plus side, she seems to be getting it, but the toilets are far away from the play areas. Please, let bladder control improve beyond 3 seconds.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can get a portable potty. That helped tremendously in poop training our first kid because he could just sit on it.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Our four year old has suddenly decided to quietly wake up at 3-4am to play / read / do anything but go right back to sleep. I've found him passed out in the middle of the night holding a book more than once. It makes for cute photos but he's obviously grumpier the next day & will sometimes fall asleep on the couch or in the car before supper. What can I even do about this? Is it a phase? We wouldn't even know about it if we weren't getting up because of the baby. He has a toddler clock in his room that he's ignoring. His bedtime is 8-8:30. I don't think he's waking for a bad or scary reason like nightmares, he usually tells us about those & he isn't calling for us when he wakes. It's like he's discovered Secret Bonus Play Time and by golly he's not gonna miss it!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sweet Gulch posted:

Our four year old has suddenly decided to quietly wake up at 3-4am to play / read / do anything but go right back to sleep. I've found him passed out in the middle of the night holding a book more than once. It makes for cute photos but he's obviously grumpier the next day & will sometimes fall asleep on the couch or in the car before supper. What can I even do about this? Is it a phase? We wouldn't even know about it if we weren't getting up because of the baby. He has a toddler clock in his room that he's ignoring. His bedtime is 8-8:30. I don't think he's waking for a bad or scary reason like nightmares, he usually tells us about those & he isn't calling for us when he wakes. It's like he's discovered Secret Bonus Play Time and by golly he's not gonna miss it!

Run a white noise machine through the night, it seems to help ours fall back asleep.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ours went through something similar. It’s a phase.

Sucks but it’ll pass.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My 6 mo boy Has woke up several times at night for the last couple of weeks and just begun crying. He sleeps in a crib next to our bed, so we can rock him to sleep again, but right now he still wants to bottle at night, and also wakes a couple of times. Tonight he slept 5 hours after the first bottle, which is a record for the last few weeks. Otherwise he wakes up Every 1-2 hours, and we're beginning to go a little insane as he still won't nap by himself. He used to be able to only wake for the two bottles, and Otherwise sleep from 8 to 7.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

life is killing me posted:

Good luck! That's a pretty big deal for you and him, but in a good, albeit hard, sort of way.

Out of curiosity, is this a brother of yours, or a kid they were fostering?

He's my brother. He's 18 now and I'm 31. Snatched him up as soon as I had a place for him

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Alterian posted:

You can get a portable potty. That helped tremendously in poop training our first kid because he could just sit on it.

We've now gotten to the refusal stage. She won't sit on it and she won't go back to nappies. She just kicks and screams bloody murder until she has an accident.

:(

Honestly this is worse than the horrid sleep regressions during the first year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had to bribe ours with burger king cheeseburgers.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Alterian posted:

We had to bribe ours with burger king cheeseburgers.

That reminds me of https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2hhIWbz0Ns

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone have One Weird Trick to boost milk supply when almost exclusively pumping?

My 5 month old has just gotten over two weeks of bronchiolitis and for about a week there his appetite was shot AND he was refusing bottles, preferring to breastfeed (which he is terrible at). Between those two factors my supply took a dive. Now that he's better he's back to wanting 150ml+ (5oz) every couple of hours. I'm asking here because all the websites are like "just breastfeed on demand!" but when I've tried that previously he's so crap at feeding it tends to lower my supply because "oh you only need tiny amounts often!".

I've got the next week off so I was just going to try pumping more often but if anyone has had any success with anything else, sing out. I'm not opposed to supplementing with formula if I need to but would prefer giving fixing the supply a whirl first.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 22, 2019

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

Anyone have One Weird Trick to boost milk supply when almost exclusively pumping?

My 5 month old has just gotten over two weeks of bronchiolitis and for about a week there his appetite was shot AND he was refusing bottles, preferring to breastfeed (which he is terrible at). Between those two factors my supply took a dive. Now that he's better he's back to wanting 150ml+ (5oz) every couple of hours. I'm asking here because all the websites are like "just breastfeed on demand!" but when I've tried that previously he's so crap at feeding it tends to lower my supply because "oh you only need tiny amounts often!".

I've got the next week off so I was just going to try pumping more often but if anyone has had any success with anything else, sing out. I'm not opposed to supplementing with formula if I need to but would prefer giving fixing the supply a whirl first.

My wife tried this to decent effect: https://exclusivepumping.com/power-pumping/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Peeing was never an issue. He thought that was a blast. It was the pooping. We did have to instill a one burger a day rule and when he got even better at it it moved to a one microwave white castle a day rule.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got a seven year old and four year old twins.

I've started noticing that it seems every family we know has their kids in a weekend sport. We don't have anything like that going on and it's made me a bit neurotic because I feel like we're somehow neglecting our kids by not having them in an extracurricular activity. Our twins are in a once-per-week tumbling class, but it's held in their preschool by a company the preschool has an arrangement with.

We're saving for a house and we don't want to be spending massive amounts of money on sports right now. Also, we enjoy being together as a family and doing stuff together on weekends. My wife and I both work and we already feel robbed of so much time from our kids because of that.

Our friends weekends seem dominated by their sports commitments and they don't have time to do things like day trips or camping or anything that requires missing their games/practice. We really like doing stuff together on weekends.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for from this post. Is what I see with our friends lives the way it is in general? I only know so many people but nobody seems to have nothing going on like us.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Chili posted:

My wife tried this to decent effect: https://exclusivepumping.com/power-pumping/

Awesome, thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go!

me your dad posted:

Is what I see with our friends lives the way it is in general? I only know so many people but nobody seems to have nothing going on like us

Lots of parents force their kids to play sport, mine (and my friends) certainly did. There are a lot of positives to team sports but it's also kind of dependent on the kids attitudes and if it's something they genuinely enjoy. I don't think its a big deal not doing it if the kids aren't interested, it sounds like you guys do other fun stuff instead that engages them in other ways. That said it can make it a little harder to crack into sport later if minds change. My non-sport-playing nephew decided at 12 that he wanted to play school soccer, but all the other kids had been playing since they were 5-7ish so the team he was selected into was the bottom grade. He was pretty sensitive to the perception that he was 'bad' (inexperienced) compared to the other kids so he gave up after half a season.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Alterian posted:

Peeing was never an issue. He thought that was a blast. It was the pooping. We did have to instill a one burger a day rule and when he got even better at it it moved to a one microwave white castle a day rule.

I can’t wait to potty train lol

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

me your dad posted:

Is what I see with our friends lives the way it is in general? I only know so many people but nobody seems to have nothing going on like us.

Are you and your family happy? Is your child interested in sports? Is there something you think your child might gain from weekend sports that they're missing out on now?

IMO these are more important questions than comparing your life/child rearing techniques to your friends/family. Every family is going to be different just like every child will be different and it sounds like you've already answered the question: you value camping/family weekend time over sports and that A-OK.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We don't do any sports or classes. If my kid asked to do it, we'd look into it. We've been thinking about putting our oldest in a martial art. He has to deal with kids all week at school and at after school care. Everyone needs a break to decompress.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

Boz0r posted:

My 6 mo boy Has woke up several times at night for the last couple of weeks and just begun crying. He sleeps in a crib next to our bed, so we can rock him to sleep again, but right now he still wants to bottle at night, and also wakes a couple of times. Tonight he slept 5 hours after the first bottle, which is a record for the last few weeks. Otherwise he wakes up Every 1-2 hours, and we're beginning to go a little insane as he still won't nap by himself. He used to be able to only wake for the two bottles, and Otherwise sleep from 8 to 7.

Posting this from a deep well of empathy because that sounds frustrating as all hell. I've been reading a lot about baby/toddler sleep the past few months so here's my guess... it's quite easy for kids around the 3.5-5 month age to slowly but surely stop eating as much during the day because they are undergoing developmental changes that make them much more interested in observing the world rather than eating. Because eating is boring in comparison.

So they end up not having their necessary amount of calories during the day... which makes them wake up actually hungry at night. So concerned caregiver feeds them up, because hey, they need it! And slowly but surely baby starts to need to eat as an all-night activity again like when they were newborns.

There are a few possible options, but the most straightforward one might be to a) go to an unstimulating area for daytime feeds and really push the daytime calories b) stretch the time between nighttime feeds by 10 minutes a night via sleepy stalling tactics (really slow diaper changes, soothing and rocking before feeding, back rubs for baby, etc) until you can remind him that he actually can sleep longer than this.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

Tamarillo posted:

Here are Some Weird Tricks because I am posting during a baby nap, gonna just dump em all here...

--drink a gently caress ton of water -- like 2-3 liters a day if possible.
--oats, ground flaxseed, and fennel (nomnomnom)
--and honestly, 1 beer a day worked wonders for me, if your values agree with that. Current science says that you can drink alcohol in small amounts like that and as long as you're not feeling drunk, breastfeeding is ok. Basically, if you can drive, you can breastfeed. If you somehow overshoot, alcohol clears from breastmilk at the same rate that it clears from your bloodstream so when you stop feeling it it's safe to feed again. No shade if you're not comfortable with this, though, it's a tad controversial.

And good call on the pumping, that is a surefire way to go. Good luck!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

me your dad posted:

I've got a seven year old and four year old twins.

I've started noticing that it seems every family we know has their kids in a weekend sport. We don't have anything like that going on and it's made me a bit neurotic because I feel like we're somehow neglecting our kids by not having them in an extracurricular activity. Our twins are in a once-per-week tumbling class, but it's held in their preschool by a company the preschool has an arrangement with.

We're saving for a house and we don't want to be spending massive amounts of money on sports right now. Also, we enjoy being together as a family and doing stuff together on weekends. My wife and I both work and we already feel robbed of so much time from our kids because of that.

Our friends weekends seem dominated by their sports commitments and they don't have time to do things like day trips or camping or anything that requires missing their games/practice. We really like doing stuff together on weekends.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for from this post. Is what I see with our friends lives the way it is in general? I only know so many people but nobody seems to have nothing going on like us.

I'm not sure that you really HAVE to have your kid(s) in sports. If they want to and ask to play sports, then great, but if not, and if they seem happy enough doing the things y'all do together, then keep doing that and I wouldn't worry about it. Every kid, every family, is different, and not every kid wants to play sports anyway. Some parents just put their kids in sports because they feel like it's just a thing they must do, and many times those kids don't even really want to do it. Of those, some that want to do it only want to because their friends are doing it. To me it sounds like a way to build resentment toward you and your spouse, just sticking them in sports because everyone else is doing it. If nothing else I'd just ask them if they want to do baseball, basketball, whatever. And it might not hurt to let them know that they can answer honestly and don't have to worry about making you mad or hurting your feelings--just to make sure you're not getting an answer they only gave because they thought it was what you wanted to hear. Do they speak their minds and tell you when they do or don't want to do something or don't enjoy something? Or do they go along because they want to please you? You know your kids best, so approach that conversation however you think is best, or don't approach it at all if you feel pretty certain they are fine with whatever.

Day trips and camping are awesome things to do, and lots of kids like to do that stuff! I know I did, I played sports but was never an amazing athlete so while I enjoyed playing basketball and baseball I preferred camping and hiking and road trips. So it's pretty possible your kids aren't missing out if that's what you're worried about.

One other thing would be, it's not always healthy to have your kids' schedule full all the time with extracurriculars. Kids need time to chill out too, and feel free from pressure of performing well--even when it's something they enjoy doing. There's something to be said for just staying at home every so often and letting them do what they want to do for a few hours instead of dragging them around everywhere every weekend without giving them a chance to stop and breathe for a little bit. From a kid's perspective, never stopping could look a lot like going to school five days a week and doing homework, then eventually not even looking forward to the weekends anymore because it's just more stuff they have to do with no time to themselves to decompress and not feel like they have to be constantly doing something.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 22, 2019

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you all so much. This helps ease my anxiety which literally had my mind racing at 4:00 AM this morning (really driven by work stuff but the parenting stress decided to jump into the mix).

Our older daughter hasn't really pushed us to get her into something.

life is killing me posted:

One other thing would be, it's not always healthy to have your kids' schedule full all the time with extracurriculars. Kids need time to chill out too, and feel free from pressure of performing well--even when it's something they enjoy doing. There's something to be said for just staying at home every so often and letting them do what they want to do for a few hours instead of dragging them around everywhere every weekend without giving them a chance to stop and breathe for a little bit. From a kid's perspective, never stopping could look a lot like going to school five days a week and doing homework, then eventually not even looking forward to the weekends anymore because it's just more stuff they have to do with no time to themselves to decompress and not feel like they have to be constantly doing something.

I'm a big believer in this. It's important for kids to be bored now and again. She is in after-school care so many days each week she's at school and after-school care from 8:30 to 5:45. That's another reason we place so much value on spending time with them on weekends doing family stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2019

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

Oh ,also, I baked her a steady supply of these. We're vegan so you probably don't have to go this way, but the recipe was effective: https://detoxinista.com/vegan-lactation-cookies-gluten-free/

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We referred a friend to our daycare recently and, as luck would have it, the referral promotion happened to be one month free for us. But I'll immediately be spending it all on ear tubes for my son next month. :argh:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We referred a friend to our daycare recently and, as luck would have it, the referral promotion happened to be one month free for us. But I'll immediately be spending it all on ear tubes for my son next month. :argh:

Money well spent imo, quality of life will be drastically increased without constant ear infections

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

We won our preschool's Christmas $5,000 raffle and celebrated by ... immediately having another kid and enrolling them in the same preschool. Soooo they basically are just getting their money back.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
We'll likely be enrolling our child in the city pre-school at age 14 or 16 months, when our paid parental leave starts to run out.

The cost will be about $150 per month at the current exchange rate (diapers not included). After she turns three years old, it's $100.

It's calculated according to household income, and we'll be paying the maximum rate. Low income means no fee. Kids with special needs pay half price.

Ask me about living in a socialist welfare state.

zingiber posted:

Here are Some Weird Tricks because I am posting during a baby nap, gonna just dump em all here...

--and honestly, 1 beer a day worked wonders for me, if your values agree with that. Current science says that you can drink alcohol in small amounts like that and as long as you're not feeling drunk, breastfeeding is ok.

Seconded. Apparently this works because alcohol does the same thing to milk supply as it does to pee supply. So, one drink per day is now no longer recommended against here (but neither is it recommended per se).
Just don't get drunk and fumble picking up the baby...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2019

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Sarah posted:

Money well spent imo, quality of life will be drastically increased without constant ear infections

We're hoping so. He's had 4 ear infections in 6 months, and the fluid just never fully drains. He's mostly a happy guy, but we can always tell when another ear infection has started.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

We're hoping so. He's had 4 ear infections in 6 months, and the fluid just never fully drains. He's mostly a happy guy, but we can always tell when another ear infection has started.

Tubes were the most awesome thing with my oldest. Went from constant fluid in ears, back to back ear infections to not a single ear infection ever again.

Also the surgery takes like 10 minutes

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

As a child that had constant ear infections and then became a tube haver; life will change drastically for the better, for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
My friend is having a baby soon is looking around for a car seat. I'm thinking about getting one as a gift but i have absolutely no experience with any of this and there seems to be a billion brands. Does anyone have suggestions for child seats? i see prices going from 50$ to 300+ is there a major difference in the safety offered? or is it just quality of manufacture and such?