Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

KillHour posted:

This also totally ignores the fact that a big part of what makes a regional cuisine 'good' is variety. Detroit doesn't have a big Asian population compared to Irvine, but they have drat near everything else. Even the street tacos in Mexicantown are more legit than the insult to your taste buds you get in Irvine.
To be fair, Detroit is huge and Irvine isn't. If you factor in that Irvine is minutes away from Santa Ana and Garden Grove then the food quality and variety gets way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheGoatTrick posted:

To be fair, Detroit is huge and Irvine isn't. If you factor in that Irvine is minutes away from Santa Ana and Garden Grove then the food quality and variety gets way better.

yeah i think technically the places i am thinking of are in garden grove? but like if you are going to compare All Of Southeast Michigan vs. A Tiny Postage stamp that's silly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is nothing within a 20 minute drive of Irvine that is anywhere near as good as the food within walking distance of downtown Detroit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Read about Ethnic food you like? Post it here, in the news thread!

:v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I said for years all Cadillac needed to do to sell a ton of vehicles was make a mini escalade

Navigator, Aviator, Corsair

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

I said for years all Cadillac needed to do to sell a ton of vehicles was make a mini escalade

I still unironically kinda love the new Navigator, those wheels and all.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

KakerMix posted:

I still unironically kinda love the new Navigator, those wheels and all.

Those three cars are the best looking SUV’s on sale right now. They are somewhat sleek but still masculine and imposing. IMO the really swoopy look just doesn’t work on a tall car but designers just copy the design language from their sports cars (or a sports car in general) and use it on their SUV’s. See: Levante, Cayenne, Velar. Good looking SUV’s look rugged enough to match their height like the GLK.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I really like all 3 of those... :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, I think Lincoln has finally figured out some styling that works. They're finally moving away from their garbage naming convention as well. I'd kind of like to see them make an actual comeback and start eating BMW's and M-B's lunches.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea those are all baller af

would totally drive a Corsair :yarr:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The Lincoln Bombardier had better be able to backfire on lifts or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

The Lincoln Bombardier had better be able to backfire on lifts or something.

The Corsair gets the same 2.3 as the Focus RS, tuned to 280hp/310ft/lbs, you might be able to tune it for the RS's same cracks and pops.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
is the Corsair an upgraded Escape or Edge?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

It's the baby one, replacing the MKC, based on the new Escape, which shares a lot with the new euro focus.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Powershift posted:

The Corsair gets the same 2.3 as the Focus RS, tuned to 280hp/310ft/lbs, you might be able to tune it for the RS's same cracks and pops.

The 2.3 can easily be tuned for 380 whp with nothing more than some simple bolt-ons and an e30 tune.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

So Mazda was teasing a big announcement for their Skyactive engines today. I was all stoked thinking they'd announce the launch of the Skyactive-X engine. Turns out it was another diesel :flaccid:

The Skyactiv-D is only available as a $3800 option on the top-trim CX-5, delivering a whopping 168 HP and 290 lb-ft of torque, and combined fuel economy of 28 MPG (27 city/30 hwy.) :lol:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Those three cars are the best looking SUV’s on sale right now. They are somewhat sleek but still masculine and imposing. IMO the really swoopy look just doesn’t work on a tall car but designers just copy the design language from their sports cars (or a sports car in general) and use it on their SUV’s. See: Levante, Cayenne, Velar. Good looking SUV’s look rugged enough to match their height like the GLK.

You either need new glasses or therapy.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godzilla07 posted:

The Skyactiv-D is only available as a $3800 option on the top-trim CX-5, delivering a whopping 168 HP and 290 lb-ft of torque, and combined fuel economy of 28 MPG (27 city/30 hwy.) :lol:

I’ll have a post on this tomorrow, after talking to the head of Mazda R&D this morning.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i hope you asked him where my awd turbo Mazda6 wagon is

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Aviator just doesn't work for me. Too much booty out back.

The Corsair has my eye though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

Corsair is an upgraded Escape. The Nautilus is the upgraded Edge.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drgitlin posted:

I’ll have a post on this tomorrow, after talking to the head of Mazda R&D this morning.

Long story short, the diesel Mazdas are riding a hype wave in the Japanese market, right? Diesel seems on its way out in Europe, and was more of a never-ran in the US.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Diesel is well on its way out in Japan too, Mazda are the only ones preserving with them at this point.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Charles posted:

Oh no, we already figured that out in the Mazda thread based on the teaser image, sorry. It's expensive and isn't that great an improvement. I'm not sure if we'll get the Skyactiv-X in North America until the end of the year or next year. First they will go to Europe and Asia.

In other news, there's a 2020 Subaru Outback XT, 260hp 2.4L turbo. CVT only.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17/2020-subaru-outback-redesigned-new-york-auto-show/

dissss posted:

Calling it now - Skyactiv-X will have exactly the same emissions related problems Skyactiv-D did in the US market and will arrive (if at all) late and only in some expensive premium trim.

Powershift posted:

Also calling it now, Skyactiv-X will get hosed by ethanol and barely run the day out of warranty.

drgitlin posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

Long story short, the diesel Mazdas are riding a hype wave in the Japanese market, right? Diesel seems on its way out in Europe, and was more of a never-ran in the US.

The thing is, I'm racking up such mileages right now that I'm looking really hard at for efficient engines. A modern hybrid would for instance be about $800 or so lower in yearly fuel consumption than my current ride. So if I have to replace the car eventually, I am really taking a hard looking at hybrids.

Diesel is out of the questoin. Dieselgate has *really* ruined the reputation and regulatory confidence in diesels. A few years ago half of all cars I saw were diesels. Then Dieselgate came. Sales plummeted immediately and environmental restrictions came (back). If you buy a new diesel now there's a good chance you won't be able to ride it in your city within the next decade.

That's why I'm so uber interested in the Skyactive X. If the mileage is anything like what the early reviews are suggesting, it'll be as affordable to own and run as a hybrid, but won't require a battery or get in diesel trouble. If it's 3k bucks more - fine! I'll save that in fuel easily *and* have an engine with more power and fun to boot (consider that the Mazda 2.5l engine isn't sold in EU as it's too big and inefficient). The dealers tell me the Skyactive X will come out simultaneously with the CX30, so that'll be June or July.

What I'm afraid of is that this is becoming another rotary engine wankfest - that the Skyactive X will poo poo itself after a couple of years or require Japanese voodoo mechanics to be kept running. Is there any indication what Mazda is doing here exactly? Are they going for enthusiasts with this or are they getting it reliable enough for mass market?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Powershift posted:

The F&I company I work for really likes these as well. The coverage costs for warranties and service contracts is on the lower side, so I expect they'll either be cheap and easy to maintain or they'll be pretty reliable and shouldn't require a ton of service during their lives.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1119292074099204097?s=19

Those stats surprised me. I would have thought Hyundai would be up there and that seems like a good number from Citroën. Dividing up the PSA brands is a but silly as some of the cars are basically the same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's usually organized by how the OEM reports. If the OEM reports a consolidated figure and doesn't split by brand (like Opel and Vauxhall), then you get a consolidated figure. But for most OEMs P&L exists at the brand level, so sales figures are reported at the brand level.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

drgitlin posted:

You might want to ping them about how the CX-3 does in the moose test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZRWiKIERic

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Eh could be worse

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

EnergizerFellow posted:

Would be interesting to see how it performs with better tires. I called it after the first pass.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

EnergizerFellow posted:

Welp looks like this channel's another rabbit hole for me to dive into. Surprised how well the CR-V did when most of the other squishy CUVs swerved and bounced uncontrollably.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 20, 2019

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Would be interesting to see how it performs with better tires. I called it after the first pass.

Seem under-damped too.

redgubbinz posted:

Welp looks like this channel's another rabbit hole for me to dive into. Surprised how well the CR-V did when most of the other squishy CUVs swerved and bounced uncontrollably.

If you want to see some runs of beauty from things you wouldn't expect, check out any of the CUVs from Audi or PSA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqIjflKPSu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IrxinmHjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOyDu3YeFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9K58SEfHPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1yxzizNBE

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EnergizerFellow posted:

Seem under-damped too.

It looks like under hard steering the tire sidewall is so thin that the front corner getting the most weight literally grinds the side of the wheel against the street?

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 20, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That seems less than ideal.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

zoom zoom

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't fully disagree on the suspension, but there is definitely something going on with the tires that appear to be causing the suspension to cycle a second time after the evasive manuever. I can't describe what I'm seeing perfectly, but it looks like immediately as he's changing lanes, both rear wheels lose traction, even before the suspension starts to load up to one side. Then the front wheel that's loading up looks like it slides, then grips all of a sudden during the rebound. Which causes a weird 2nd load/unload cycle just as the driver needs his recovery motion.

It doesn't surprise me that the ESC was no help as there was 1 wheel buried in the pavement and the other 3 were skating along or off the ground.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Looking at the tire deformation, the tires seem under inflated? Also looks like it's bouncing off the bump stops right at the first turn and it's a jouncy downhill slide from there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Lord Stimperor posted:

The thing is, I'm racking up such mileages right now that I'm looking really hard at for efficient engines. A modern hybrid would for instance be about $800 or so lower in yearly fuel consumption than my current ride. So if I have to replace the car eventually, I am really taking a hard looking at hybrids.

How much more are the hybrid to buy/lease though?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I don't fully disagree on the suspension, but there is definitely something going on with the tires that appear to be causing the suspension to cycle a second time after the evasive manuever. I can't describe what I'm seeing perfectly, but it looks like immediately as he's changing lanes, both rear wheels lose traction, even before the suspension starts to load up to one side. Then the front wheel that's loading up looks like it slides, then grips all of a sudden during the rebound. Which causes a weird 2nd load/unload cycle just as the driver needs his recovery motion.

It doesn't surprise me that the ESC was no help as there was 1 wheel buried in the pavement and the other 3 were skating along or off the ground.

It's probably a combination of the tires and suspension, Mazda probably dampens these cars softer than they really should be for comfort, add in a mediocre tire and the stupid high center of gravity everybody wants and that's what you get. I wonder if it even has a rear sway bar, adding one or installing one bigger than stock would probably help in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Near as makes no difference 0% of American drivers would ever steer that aggressively under any circumstances, especially CUV drivers. So the emergency handling characteristics are purely academic. How does it fare when you crash into the moose because the driver didn't know how to avoid it?