Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Patrat is like a disease... it's spreading...

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Patrat reminds me a lot of Hoothoot, but it's perhaps unsurprising that there are a lot of expys in the Gen 5 Pokédex - not that there's anything wrong with that, Excadrill is a Dugtrio expy and manages to be even more of a shitwrecker, if not as funny as the sausage moles.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

:perfect:

It seems like we've got a lot of Joltik support, which I'll remember. Even if a Pokemon doesn't make it on the endgame team, I'll try to show off all the suggestions I can, at least a little bit. I don't mind grinding new members up offscreen a bit. On a related note, I'm curious, do you like seeing screenshots of each level up? I think Fire Emblem has sorta hard-wired me to include them, but they're less interesting in Pokemon, and they do take up some screenshot real estate. I'm interested in opinions on presentation elements like that, I'm still sorta trying to feel out a style for this LP.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't know that it needs them, especially early on when none of your pokemon are really impressive at anything. You could do stats of the whole team before gym leaders or major plot fights, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pokemon have more or less fixed stat gains, i don't think you need to go out of your way to show them

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Draxion posted:

I don't know that it needs them, especially early on when none of your pokemon are really impressive at anything. You could do stats of the whole team before gym leaders or major plot fights, though.

This seemed to work well in other Pokémon LPs. Just a short little summary of how they are developing, and what they do in battles currently.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Damanation posted:

This seemed to work well in other Pokémon LPs. Just a short little summary of how they are developing, and what they do in battles currently.

Yeah, I agree with this. Maybe a battle plan before each gym/major battle where you think stats are important.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

LordHippoman posted:

On a related note, I'm curious, do you like seeing screenshots of each level up? I think Fire Emblem has sorta hard-wired me to include them, but they're less interesting in Pokemon, and they do take up some screenshot real estate. I'm interested in opinions on presentation elements like that, I'm still sorta trying to feel out a style for this LP.

Damanation posted:

This, I've found, was the best way to show off the team when grinding XP between major plot battles in my own LP. Just showing the stats and move sets of each member of the team, as well as a couple sentences discussing how they're doing.

Plus if you're, say, grinding something up from level 5 to 30, you don't have to show 25 separate level up screenshots.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I guess it's something to do to fill a battle you won't really cover, like hey, there was a fight, we got a level, nothing else to note. Otherwise yeah, if you're gonna use a variety of Pokemon and it's still early that level ups don't really matter, then there's no point. They'll be more useful later on when you're balancing a bunch of mons and you need to show that they're this level with this moveset or whatever.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 4: Jagen Tours The Public School System

Welcome back! Now that we’re finished with touring the Pokemon Center, watching a speech in the park, and fending off some weird guy with green hair, I think it’s about time to leave Accumula Town behind.

These tunnels often connect cities to major routes, and the scrolling text on the billboards inside is probably the most interesting part.

They’ll tell you the weather of nearby areas, show advertisements for local points of interest, and give general tips. Sadly, they scroll extremely slowly and in a way that is not very screenshot LP friendly.

Sometimes it’s the simple things in life. I still like watching raindrops race down car windows. I’m not gonna shame this NPC.

Route 2 is a pretty simple place, much like Route 1 before it.

But before we go exploring, Jagen’s got a call!

I thought I left the blink animation dead and buried but it’s crawled its way out of the grave for revenge

Uh, surprise, she’s right there. I’d ask how she knew where to find us, but we pretty much just walked in a straight line from home and went left once. Couldn’t be too tough to puzzle out.

: Professor Juniper said that you were probably headed for Striaton City by now. I have another present for you. Try these on!

Hello, one of the most useful items in the series. Lovely to see you here. These just let you move faster, and everyone loves that.

: When you’re wearing the Running Shoes, you can go anywhere in a flash! Let me read you the instructions…

I know every Pokemon LP ever made has made this joke, but how are there instructions for a pair of shoes?

: “Hold the B Button to run faster than normal. Put on the Running Shoes and tear around to your heart’s content!” That’s what it says. I bought these a long time ago and stashed them away somewhere.

See, Jagen’s totally helpful!

: Jagen, you understand that you’re never really alone, right? You’re with Pokemon, you have friends, and you’re always in my thoughts. That’s all right, then. Enjoy your trip!

Jagen’s mom is super cool, folks.

Happy Mother’s Day, and know that if you’re reading this on Mother’s Day I totally planned that.

This Route will give us our introduction to generic trainer battles. But not quite yet.

Don’t worry, I saw that item in the other screenshot. This is almost impossible to miss, it’s right in the middle of your only path forward.

Just like Route 1, you’ll be swarmed by Patrats and Lillipups here.

They’re higher level on average, at least, so that’s more experience for us.

Ooh. That could come in handy.

As soon as you walk into a Trainer’s sightline…

Yeah, what he said. It’s trainer battle time!

There are entirely too many Eyes on this screen, and his are one level bigger than mine. Let’s reach into our new bag of tricks.

Bite is interesting. It’s got the same Power as Tackle, better accuracy, and the ability to potentially make your target flinch, which basically just skips their turn.

That said, Tackle is Normal, so STAB means it’s better for damage on Hypnotoad. I went for Tackles in this fight, but you could make an argument for the accuracy and flinching on Bite too.

(It doesn’t really matter it’s the first trainer battle but I’m trying to make this interesting :shh:)

Good luck with that, Youngster Jimmy. I hope you get more Patrats.

Good point. Let’s go do that, especially because I forgot to do so after battling N in the last update. :v:

What kind of monster would say NO to this?

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: HE HOPPED HOLY poo poo :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

A Guy Too Cool To Get A Portrait: Wooo! Hey! Were you watching? You can take a shortcut by jumping off ledges! Amazing, eh?

These ledges are one-way shortcuts. Very handy

I just healed up and returned to Route 2, I’m sparing you those screenshots.

Not these, though. Second battle!

Blink Animation was not kind to poor Purrloin. Neither was the Attack stat. Only four damage per Scratch?

Not nearly as cute as Patr-no, no, you’re right.

This route looks a little more complicated than it is. We can’t actually take that other path, since ledges are one-way. We’ll just have to trudge through the bushes.

After another level up, Hypnotoad gets a Bad Move.

I guess you could make Bide work with the right Pokemon/Ability, but right now it’s just really slow and locks you up for two turns. I don’t think I’ve ever used it and been pleased with the results.

Our final encounter! I wonder what Pokemon he’ll use?

Oh.

Well, time to try out the move.

Behold the power of Hypnotoad’s BIDE!

Oh. It didn’t even attack twice.

thanks for showing up, Bide

Whose Lillipup is tougher now? :colbert:

This isn’t a bad pickup either.

Even this guy can’t believe I used Bide.

This tree seems...oddly out of place, but there’s nothing we can do about it for now.

There’s a semi-hidden area at the top right corner of this route. You can see these items from Accumula Town, actually, which serves as a nice hint.

Nothing gamebreaking, but it’s not like we expended much effort to find it either.

We’ve got a capstone to this Route, though…

: The Pokemon I caught have become a little stronger! Ready or not, here I come!

This game sure likes rival fights.

The only new addition to Bianca’s team is a Level 6 Lillipup. Honestly, it doesn’t help her much.

It will take me three Vine Whips to down it, though.

It went for the Odor Sleuth. This does literally nothing.

Some trainers will use items against you, typically only “bosses”, though. This is Bianca’s only Potion, though, so she’s basically just stalling out the battle.

Farewell, five Vine Whip PP.

This is the first time we’ve seen a Trainer with more than one Pokemon, by the by. Since I’m still on the default mode, I get the option to swap after fainting an opponent’s Pokemon.

Marth’s already got the advantage in this fight by far, though.

Forgive me for what I am about to do, Oshawott.

Since Grass is effective against Water, we get double damage from that Vine Whip!

And it only does half damage with its Water Gun. This is the Rock-Paper-Scissors system of Pokemon in a nutshell.

Just use another Potion!

Oh, wait. I took all of them. Off of the ground. :smuggo:

: You are a tough cookie, Jagen. I’m gonna work hard on training my Pokemon so we won’t lose anymore!

With Bianca defeated again, we can walk on into Striaton City!

Before the traditional mucking about town can begin, I need to heal my team and take care of one other little issue on Route 2. There’s a 20% chance of encountering one other creature in the tall grass...

Here we go. We’ve seen so many Purrloin, let’s get one of our own!

Purrloin is Dark Type, so I went with a Dark move to get Not Very Effective and whittle it down slowly.

Too slow.

OKAY TOO FAST

Whew.

Purrloin is...pretty bad, to be honest. Its offensive stats are just kinda irredeemable, and of all the early game Pokemon, I think you’re better off with Lillpup, or even Patrat. There will be more Dark types.

Limber is a pretty uninteresting ability, but hey, there it is.

Alright, sidebar over, let’s get to the wandering.

Wow. It paid off immediately. Great Balls have a better catch rate than Poke Balls, and we can’t buy them yet, so this is quite a find!

...I don’t think that’s how relationships work.

I dunno, I’m still afraid of Hypnotoad and I think Marth hates us.

This kid gives a handy tip, since the game never really explicitly tutorializes about STAB.

And the Gym’s right here, but it looks like their Leader is either the avant garde trainer, ---, or they aren’t listed.

The clues for --- continue to mount.

Well, looks like we’ve got a little puzzle to solve before we can fight for our first badge!

Well I’m stumped.

Hey! HEY! That’s my thing! Stop that.

Okay, maybe there’s more garbage in here.

You know what’s not garbage? (perfect segue)

From this generation onwards, TMs can be used an unlimited amount of times, where they used to be single use. This is great and allows for a lot more Pokemon to be built up without needing to grind out Battle Points for more Earthquakes or whatever.

Why not?

You could honestly probably answer this one even without knowledge of Pokemon.

Again, not exactly a brain buster.

Here’s another item that’s currently not buyable!

Pretty good stuff!

The chalkboard has a list of all the status conditions and what they do, but there have been a lot of tutorials in these first few parts, so I’ll just explain them as they come along.

Or, y’know, Cheren could get me started.

: Hey, Jagen.

: He was here talking about Pokemon types until just a few moments ago… Maybe you walked right past him? Jagen, will you have a battle with me?

I mean, I see no reason not to!

This game sure likes rival fights: Part Two.

Unlike Bianca, Cheren leads with his starter.

Just like Bianca’s Oshawott, it’s picked up its first STAB move, Ember! Pretty standard Fire type attack, with no real catches to note.

Oh. Except for this one, the one where it rarely inflicts...Burn.

It does 1/8th of a Pokemon’s Max HP per turn, and, more cripplingly right now, cuts the damage dealt by physical attacks in half.

That’s not important right now, Cheren.

With its damage effectively halved, poor Hypnotoad is pretty much out of this. Time to bring in the slightly bigger guns.

Cheren’s got a trick too. His Tepig’s holding an Oran Berry, which restores 10 HP when the holder drops under half HP. Still, it’s no match for endless repeated Tackles.

Cheren’s also picked up a new Pokemon in the form of a Purrloin. It’s not much to worry about.

Especially because it does this.

Assist randomly selects a move from the moves known by other Pokemon in the trainer’s party and uses that. If this...randomly hits Ember, I guess it’s kinda scary? Otherwise it doesn’t do much.

I’m really only pointing this out because Wild Purrloins can also do it, in which case it does roughly nothing. N can also do it with his lone Purrloin for a similar effect.

And we get another Very Bad Move. Hooray.

: Oh, here. Jagen, I’ll give you these Berries.

:toot:

: If you give a Pokemon this kind of Berry to hold, it will eat it to heal up when its HP goes down in battle. But if you give Pokemon man-made items like Potions to hold, they can’t use them. Well, good luck, then.

That’s about all I wanted to do in this update, but I do want to point out one more thing in Striaton City.

There’s a nice shrub and water garden here.

There’s also a Great Ball in it!

That’s all for now. Next time, maybe we’ll dig into some more garbage to find the Gym Leader.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 21, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh, Purrloin. Such a lovely looking pokemon. Such utter trash to try and use. Why must Gamefreak be so cruel.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LordHippoman posted:

Cheren’s also picked up a new Pokemon in the form of a Liepard. It’s not much to worry about.
Uh, this seems like a typo? I'm not that familiar with 5th Gen Pokemon, but the image says Purrloin.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Commander Keene posted:

Uh, this seems like a typo? I'm not that familiar with 5th Gen Pokemon, but the image says Purrloin.

That's the evolution, so the confusion is understandable.

Sadly, the cat is in fact garbage. Similar to Gen 3's early Dark type Poochyena, actually...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Another nice thing about Gen V that this update shows: Mom is actually a character! She leaves the house! She's more than just a heal bot who tells us it's ok to go on an adventure.

I once did an all Dark type run of (a hack of) Black. I used Purrloin only until i got a better dark type. Liepard is a little better but the only thing going for it is speed, and that's not enough.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Simply Simon posted:

That's the evolution, so the confusion is understandable.

Sadly, the cat is in fact garbage. Similar to Gen 3's early Dark type Poochyena, actually...

Poochy and Mighty were at least usable. Maybe not to endgame/E4 and beyond thanks to the lack of the Physical/Special split Gen 4 introduced. Purrloin and Liepard have high speed, but that's LITERALLY it. It has glass bones, paper skin and it's claws may as well be made out of butter knives.

Also, the major hate I have for this game and it's sequel we'll see later, but it makes grinding an absolute pain in the rear end.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
When i first played Pokemon Black i did a randomized team one (not a randomizer just pick random pokemon to be my 6 parties) my first party member was Liepard, never again (thankfully i had a grass type you can gifted really soon as well) in my party as well so it wasn't THAT much of a problem early on but it was still a burden all the playthrough,

I'd argue that wormadam-plank cloak in my POkemon Y use all grass types (with EXP Share) was less of a burden, at least it kind of has coverage.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Yup, that's my bad. I had the evolution on the mind.

Solumin posted:

Another nice thing about Gen V that this update shows: Mom is actually a character! She leaves the house! She's more than just a heal bot who tells us it's ok to go on an adventure.

The Moms definitely start to be more characterized with this game. The X/Y Mom actually has some backstory, and the Sun/Moon Mom is pretty entertaining.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gen 4 was when moms started getting more interesting, since Johanna is, well firstly, given a loving name, secondly she leaves the house because, thirdly, she was a contest star in her youth.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ORAS Mom is in a slowly dying marriage, good times.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I remember when making a weird project i was working on, I was looking offical art for Red's Mom, only to discover their is none. That's how irrelevant she is.

I would argue that the mom being more important started vaguely in GSC where they attempted to make her a game mechanic that admittedly wasn't useful and theirs unused data suggest you would even name her. It's not much but at least she deemed important enough to get offical art.

Granted they took a step backwards of making your mom a person in RSE but more than made up for it by having a dad exist that's even a Gym Leader, actually it would be cool if your MOM was a Gym Leader, or had a present day job (I believe the mom did in XD as a research assistant, so why not main series?) not a thing she did in the past.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

weso12 posted:

I remember when making a weird project i was working on, I was looking offical art for Red's Mom, only to discover their is none. That's how irrelevant she is.

I would argue that the mom being more important started vaguely in GSC where they attempted to make her a game mechanic that admittedly wasn't useful and theirs unused data suggest you would even name her. It's not much but at least she deemed important enough to get offical art.

Granted they took a step backwards of making your mom a person in RSE but more than made up for it by having a dad exist that's even a Gym Leader, actually it would be cool if your MOM was a Gym Leader, or had a present day job (I believe the mom did in XD as a research assistant, so why not main series?) not a thing she did in the past.
That would be a nice addition for the upcoming Sword/Shield. Another nifty idea would be to have the mom either be a secret boss fight or a special post-game fight you can unlock. Or go whole hog and have your mom be part of the region's Elite Four or even the regional Champion.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wasn't mom in xy a star racer? She kept thorn out front and everything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Yes but it was barely referenced and never developed into anything.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Man, I love Gen 5. B/W deciding to have only new Pokémon for the story was one that I greatly appreciated, because it made the adventure feel fresh in a way it didn't in previous generations, aside from Gen 1.

And B2/W2 are just fantastic games. A good way to cap off Pokémon on the DS.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The smugness here implies that mom has a habit of sneaking up on her son, calling him and then showing up. :)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Honestly though, how many preteens/teens even give a flying flip about what their parents are doing even if they don't go on monster taming adventures? And they, unlike the large majority of anime protagonists, at least have moms (and R/S/E's even has a dad, if a stern and minimally involved one).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

If they don't have Champion Mom in Sword/Shield I'm going to make even more subpar jokes about Patrat's eyes, and Game Freak will regret their decision.

Just as a heads-up, an update may be later than expected this week. I'm taking on an extra shift at work, so I've got a lot less free time to spend making subpar jokes about Patrat's eyes. I'm also pretty close to finishing Return Of The Obra Dinn.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 5: Jagen Meets The Awful Monkeys

Welcome back. Last time, we tried to get into Striaton City’s Gym, but there was a guy in the way. This time, we’ll try to get into Striaton City’s gym.

But there’s a guy in the way.

Oh, hey, that’s progress.

: You are…? Right. you want to challenge the Gym. In that case...What was the first Pokemon you chose?

Among other things, but yes!

: I think you need to prepare to face that type. For example, try training your Pokemon in the Dreamyard. Please excuse me now.

The door to the gym is open now, but it’s best we heed that green haired fellow’s advice.

okay game i get it

i still get it

So, this is the Dreamyard. It’s a rather...whimsical place for what looks like an industrial waste dump.

Also it’s got a few trainers.

By “trainers”, I do naturally mean “more of the same pokemon you’ve already seen, but they give more experience now”.

All glory to the Hypnotoad, able to slam down two Purrloins his level. (barely)

All I did was Tackle.

Not that this is a Black/White only issue, but the start of this game is fairly dull. We’re almost through the first gym, and we’ve only seen three Pokemon used by trainers that aren’t our Rivals. We’ll hit four by the end of the update.

The man. The myth. The legend. It’s Youngster Joey!

That’s not a Ratatta at all! What the gently caress, Youngster Joey!

Get out of my sight, you imposter. (His Pokemon were both Level 7 Patrats.)

This NPC is actually not a Trainer, but they have a more...interesting function.

OH BOY TIME FOR THE ELEMENTAL MONKEYS.

I do need to show off the content.

Fine.

But I’m not happy about it.

okay let’s talk about the monkeys

So, Pokemon Black/White kinda sorta have a second starter cycle. This NPC will give you a Pokemon of the type that’s weak against your starter, so you can cover the gap created by the Pokemon strong against your starter. So, since we took Grass Type Snivy, we get Water Type Panpour.

They are all three these weird monkey things, they all look the same, they creep me out and I don’t like them. Still, you get your chosen monkey at Level 10, which is really hefty for this stage of the game, so they can be quite useful for a while.

Gluttony is a weird ability that makes it so your Pokemon eats held berries that are triggered at 25% HP at 50% HP instead. I see almost no practical use for this, to be honest.

Anyway, here’s an X Defend. Using this in battle will raise a Pokemon’s defense by one stage, like if you’d used a stat altering move like Harden. They’re very situational and I usually forget about them, to be honest with you.

And that’s all we can do in the Dreamyard for now! We’ll be back, but I guess for now, they just really wanted you to get a Free Monkey.

Let’s proceed to the main event.

And get immediately accosted by this guy, of course.

Fresh Water is a pretty solid HP restoring item. Not a bad gift at all! You’re alright, Clyde. :unsmith:

One of the gimmicks for this gym is that it’s restaurant themed. The other is a little more interesting, and you can probably guess what it is if you look hard in this screenshot.

: If you choose Pokemon with effective types and effective moves, victory is just a step away! In this Gym, you proceed by stepping on the switch with the type that is effective against the Pokemon type shown on the curtain.

The puzzle here is just testing your knowledge of Type effectiveness, but only with the three starter types. This feels like a good time to link to Bulbapedia’s type chart, which is a great resource for new players.

As you probably already know, Fire is weak to Water.

But puzzles aren’t the only obstacles in Striaton Gym.

We’ll be accosted by the wait staff!

I had this same thing happen to me at an Olive Garden one time.

Let’s prove our Pup’s power and puissance.

Perfect.

Pardon, pal, leave the P word alliteration to me.

Next up, the Water curtain. Grass will remove it.

I don’t think there’s a space in “deluxe”.

I hope you sure like Patrat

I am not a fan of this Patrat in particular!

Time to beat a hasty retreat.

Let’s give the newbie some time to shine.

I think the only new move here is Lick, which is a very weak Ghost type attack with a minimal chance to cause Paralysis. However, since Patrat is a Normal type, Ghost won’t even effect it. We’ll stick to Water Gun.

Her second Pokemon is just another Purrloin. I promise there will be new Pokemon next time.

What’s annoying about this Purrloin in particular is that it knows the ever annoying Sand-Attack, a move that decreases your accuracy. It leads to a lot of stuff like this and I hate it.

No :colbert:

But that was the last Gym Trainer, and here’s the last curtain. You can get this one off process of elimination alone. Or, you know, paying attention to the game mechanics, whatever floats your boat.

But before we advance to the Gym Leader, let’s heal up and examine our team.

Hypnotoad still does decent damage, but he’s super frail and can’t stick around in a fight for long.

Marth’s speed is his best asset, and he should be able to make the first move on just about anything that gets thrown at us for now.

Lillipup is more than pulling its weight with solid bulk and a hefty Attack stat. Lillipup is just a great Pokemon.

oh yeah we have this

Panpour hasn’t changed at all, but here it is for posterity. It’ll serve a very key role in the upcoming battle…

Speaking of the upcoming battle.

The pun is that they’re all spices. Chili, Cress, and Cilan(tro).

Of note, but hard to capture in a screenshot LP, they like to do synchronized spins, but Cilan is always a little off.

: Um, you see...As for why the three of us, um, are all here is, well, er…

: Oh, enough! Listen up! The three of us will decide whom you’ll battle! It’ll be based on the type of the first Pokemon you chose!

This is a first of its kind (and still only of its kind, AFAIK) gym for the series that adapts to your starter choice for the Leader battle! Had we picked Tepig, we’d be up against Cress, and Oshawott would give us Cilan. We’d also have the corresponding monkey, though.

Bold words for a man at type disadvantage.

Aww. Maybe in the sequel.

Time for our first Gym Battle!

No matter which of the brothers you face, they have two Pokemon, and their first is always the same.

This Level 12 Lillipup is a step above anything we’ve faced so far. Not only because of level, but…

It’s gettin’ PISSED

Work Up is a pretty cool move that raises both the Attack and Special Attack of a Pokemon. Great for mixed attackers. This Lillipup only knows physical moves, but it’s a nice touch?

The bigger issue is that it’s hefty, and it’ll keep stacking those Work Up buffs…

You’ll have to slowly chip away while it rocks you with buffed up Tackles.

Or, y’know, you could do that.

You know, I can’t even complain about this.

Thankfully, the Potion’s cap of 20 HP restored is starting to become an issue.

You gave your all, buddy. :unsmith:

Another punk’s pup gets pounded.

And now WE have the Level 12 Lillipup. It can learn Helping Hand! Helping Hand only does anything in battles with multiple Pokemon out at once, and can boost the damage of an ally’s move by 50%.

Multi-Battles really aren’t common enough for me to want to spend a move slot on this, and even if I did, I’d probably rather just have Lillipup making attacks of its own.

The leader’s second and final Pokemon is different for each brother. It’s their corresponding elemental monkey.

Let’s fight Fire with Water. (i do not like these things)

So, you basically get handed a victory in this Gym Battle with your elemental monkey.

It gets Worked Up.

That won’t help it for long.

I could see not using your monkey in this battle as a way to do a sort of “challenge” run of the gym, but it’d really just involve more Route 2 grinding, and also I’ve never claimed to be good at any of the games I play!

We actually ended up with the most interesting of the monkeys to battle, by the way. While Cilan’s Pansage and Cress’ Panpour have the bog standard Vine Whip and Water Gun, Chili’s Pansear has a new move, Incinerate!

The gimmick with Incinerate is that it burns up any held Berries. Joke’s on Chili, I didn’t prepare at all!

A few more Water Guns and he’s down for the count. Farewell, monkey menace.

: Well, it’s the Pokemon League’s rule. Take this Gym Badge!

Our first shiny new badge!

Thankfully Jagen brought his handy Badge Wallet.

The Trio Badge serves to remind Jagen of his adventures so far with basic typings. As well as siblings with primary colored hair who specialize in a certain gimmick, with the blue one being the calm and collected type and hey wait a minute

: If you have one Badge, Pokemon, including traded Pokemon up to Lv. 20 will obey you without question. We also want you to have this.

The “obedience” gimmick is just so your friends can’t trade you a Level 100 monster at the start of the game and let you rampage with it. If they’re too high level, Pokemon will sometimes just ignore your commands and take a nap or whatever.

And we get a pretty useful move as a parting gift!

: In the Unova region, we are still novice Gym Leaders. Which means the other Gym Leaders are much stronger than we are. We’ll need to work hard and improve.

For now…

Finally, the recognition we deserve. They chisel quick on this plaque.

I’m documenting it in screenshots and putting it on the internet, buddy.

But there’s no rest for the Jagens, even after a hard-fought victory.

: Professor Juniper asked me to give you something. Please, follow me!

We can trust her, she’s got a lab coat on. Plus, if she tries to rob us I’m sure Lillipup could take her down.

I’m gonna do what I can for the LP. We’re only five parts in, don’t rush me!

: Oh, the stairs are right here!

: In fact, the subject I’m researching is Trainers! Professor Juniper is my friend from college. She asked me to help you guys.

Ooh, this’ll come in handy!

: With this Hidden Machine, you can teach your Pokemon a move called Cut. It can cut down a small tree. And you can use the Hidden Machine as many times as you want, like a ™. Isn’t that great? But it’s difficult to make a Pokemon forget a hidden move once it learns it.

HMs can affect obstacles on the overworld! Remember all those shrubs we kept seeing? gently caress ‘em. Unfortunately, to prevent the possibility of a softlock, you can’t make a Pokemon forget HM moves naturally, a special NPC has to do it for you. Also, most HM moves are pretty bad in combat. Cut’s okay for now, but it’ll quickly be outclassed. So you’ll have to either saddle your party with some bad moves, or carry around throwaway Pokemon just for HM purposes.

They’ll find an elegant solution to this in two generations, but for now we’ve just gotta live with it.

: There is a place called the Dreamyard on the outskirts of Striaton City. I’d like some of the Dream Mist that a Pokemon there called Munna gives off. With that, I’ll be able to use Game Sync to collect save files of various Trainers!

Flagrant fourth wall obliteration aside, this is a pretty clear hint as to our next required plot location. We couldn’t get anywhere in the Dreamyard before, but with Cut, I like our prospects much better.

Oh, hey, that was fast.

: If there’s a Pokemon you often use in your battles, you can register it in the Battle Box!

The Battle Box is basically just a way to make a preset team for multiplayer battling. Nothing of consequence for this LP, but a nice touch!

dang it

And “Someone’s PC” has officially been renamed!

Next time we’ll venture into the Dreamyard proper.

Bonus(?) Content:

We didn’t see the last monkey.

Here’s Pansage. There it is. Now forget about it.

What do you mean there are evolutions?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Panpour is probably my favorite of the three monkeys but I will not be sad to see him sent straight to hell/the pc.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

: With this Hidden Machine, you can teach your Pokemon a move called Cut. It can cut down a small tree. And you can use the Hidden Machine as many times as you want, like a ™. Isn’t that great? But it’s difficult to make a Pokemon forget a hidden move once it learns it.

I... Think you used the wrong TM here.

That aside, good to see the first gym went well! The monkey really, uh, trivializes the ace no matter what.

Something else I feels deserves note is that all three of the monkeys can learn Cut. Players really aren't gonna have to worry about not having something that gets it at this point. And since you don't like Panpour, you can just cut down this one tree and box it afterwards! I, however, will not take any more of this monkey slander. They do their best. :colbert:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I still maintain you should use all three of the monkeys.

Life is suffering.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Work Up's dual Attack/Sp. Attack increasing nature doesn't come into play often, but it's still decent enough for the early game, and if you want to boost stuff (but don't want to use X items) it has decent utility; some people can use it but not Swords Dance and Nasty Plot is just. Straight up not a TM.

It certainly has a better use case than Gluttony, at least! I don't know what it's doing this early, since you flat out can't use it - the only berries that it activates for are the ones that increase your stats when you hit 25% HP, and that bumps them up to 50% HP. Not exactly useful. It gets better in Generation VII, since there's now berries that restore 50% of your HP when you hit 25% (and thus they get activated by Gluttony) so you can, if nothing else, do Belly Drum shenanigans... but that's not now.

Gluttony's pretty lame and it being on the monkeys really doesn't help their use-case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fun fact: in a Japanese poll asking people what their favorite mon was that was conducted around this time, Pansear (or it’s evolution, I forget) came in dead last.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Elemental Monkeys plus Aipom.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, and Evil.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

LordHippoman posted:

Here’s Pansage. There it is. Now forget about it.

Ahaha. Like the game will let us do that

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have a strong dislike of the monkeys. They all look terrible. Pansear looks like someone left a turd on his head. The only one who looks halfway decent is Pansages evolution.

And none of them are very good either, but that wouldn't matter nearly as much if they were cool looking.

LordHippoMan posted:

Lillipup is more than pulling its weight with solid bulk and a hefty Attack stat. Lillipup is just a great Pokemon.
I love the Lillypup line. :colbert: It may be the best route 1 mon ever and yes I know Talonflame exists. But without his Hidden Ability, he's only average.
Meanwhile, my scruffy kept finding his way back into my party by tanking stuff and tearing out big chunks of HP from the opponents. It's almost like cheating.

Black Robe posted:

I still maintain you should use all three of the monkeys.

Life is suffering.

I like Lord HippoMan and will not allow anyone to force 3 monkeys on him. :colbert:

FoolyCharged posted:

Ahaha. Like the game will let us do that
Did Gamefreak really think the monkeys would be popular?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The monkeys are... fine. You can at least just use them for the Gym and that's that, you can dump them after. The main problem is they're stone evolutions, so as soon as you evolve them, they never learn anything. Not a big deal for Pansage and Panpour, they learn pretty good moves before you evolve them. Pansear... doesn't and that makes it a pain to use.

But, fun fact, you might think both Panpour and Simipour have their eyes closed, but next gen introduced 3D models as well as idle animations, where both Pokemon BLINK. So, they're in fact blind and have their eyes somewhat half-closed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

The monkeys are... fine. You can at least just use them for the Gym and that's that, you can dump them after. The main problem is they're stone evolutions, so as soon as you evolve them, they never learn anything. Not a big deal for Pansage and Panpour, they learn pretty good moves before you evolve them. Pansear... doesn't and that makes it a pain to use.

But, fun fact, you might think both Panpour and Simipour have their eyes closed, but next gen introduced 3D models as well as idle animations, where both Pokemon BLINK. So, they're in fact blind and have their eyes somewhat half-closed.

People don't hate the monkeys because of the ones in the player's party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh those poor loving monkies. So bad. You get the one and then toss it in the box after the first gym because just about any other pokemon of it's same type (Dual or Singular) will be SO much better served on your team.