Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I've had no problems with controller functionality, and I've got about fifteen hours into Zanki Zero so far.

I'm probably not the greatest judge due to having low standards, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far! They put a lot of effort into the art, good QoL stuff, and everybody constantly aging and dying is entertaining as heck, since cutscenes take into account your character's current age, with different models and animations and even some voice modulation. It's also got one of my favorite models of difficulty: Enemies have more health and deal a shitload of damage, but you get more drops and XP in return (and levels don't have a direct or significant impact on your stats, instead giving you various situational bonuses). At the highest difficulty, a bunch of traps start showing up all over the place, but you can also find bonus items, enemies drop rare loot, and you can find more kinds of equippable character abilities called Clione.

It's good stuff! If anybody has a PS4, you can get a meaty demo to try it out, although you can only play far enough to get to difficulty 3 (out of five).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah the thing about zanki zero is that it's not a VN with investigation style elements, it's an rpg game. So it's different than what you may be expecting.

I'm still looking forward to that new game by the zero escape guy. I just hope it has clever puzzles in it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Oh, sorry to bother this thread with it then. I thought it was a VN with light gameplay stuff.

On to more related stuff, Ace Attorney has been really good. I'm a bit sad Maya is gone but this Ema woman seems pretty funny. I'm really glad I bought the soundtrack.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 13, 2019

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

Just so you know, if by danganronpa guy, you mean Kazutaka Kodaka, he has nothing to do with this game. As far as I know, the only danganronpa member that worked on this was the producer. Kodaka left Spike after V3 and made a new company with the 999 guy.

Kodaka isn't involved with Zanki Zero, but most of its key people do come from the DR team. Most significantly, DR's director/main planner Takayuki Sugawara (who had a lot of creative input on the games) is Zanki Zero's director/writer/designer. The character designer was also on the DR art team before.

And yeah, ZZ isn't even remotely a visual novel. It's a dungeon crawler/survival game/roguelike thing, but with a lot of story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Somewhat relatedly, I'm kinda interested in Our World is Ended, by which I mean I will probably buy it and never end up reading it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch6: well I guess the whole beato/kanon/shannon thing has been explicated at this point

also is it implied that Battler intentionally set up the logic error to force Small Beatrice to solve it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
general Umineko spoilers (up to ch7) and also Agatha Christie's "Five Little Pigs"

i think the big reason i like this is that Five Little Pigs has always been my favorite classical mystery novel- the actual Mystery bit in Five Little Pigs is really simple, it's a standard poisoning with no crazy tricks or anything like that- but you can't solve it until you realize that the question of the book isn't "how did the victim die" but "why did the person accused of the crime confess when she was innocent?" obviously Five Little Pigs doesn't have crazy metafictional anime battles because I don't think Agatha Christie did those, but it's very much a story about motive and how the crime affected the people involved years later -there's no convenient catbox in that book, the false culprit has already been hanged, everyone has already gone on with their lives for better or worse (and mostly worse), and even at the parlor reveal in the end, the detective more or less says "this is all circumstantial evidence, there's almost no chance the police will file charges based on my investigation, and even an official pardon is unlikely, but this is, nonetheless, the truth".

that was really clear to me during the beach convo with a young Battler and Shannon- the key clue in Five Little Pigs, the false culprit wiping the wine bottle of fingerprints instead of the wine glass, can't be solved unless you figure out her motive (she mistakenly thought her little sister was the culprit, and wanted to protect her). Umineko is a lot more complicated and explicitly metafictional than that but in the same way, "how did these crimes get committed" is really a much less important question than the one Beatrice asks at the end of Ep4, "who am I"?

e) basically if you don't want spoilers for an old Agatha Christie novel, you should read Five Little Pigs if you liked Umineko or the mystery genre as well.

i think Umineko readers will like this review excerpt

quote:

One of the things which I love about this book is how much depth Christie gives her characters. Stock characters such as the unfaithful spouse, the cheated on wife, the other woman are all in this book, yet they all rise above their expected stereotypes and in their complexity Christie reveals how hard it can be to correctly read another person. This is especially borne out in how characters retrospectively perceive Caroline, with each person looking at her in a slightly or greatly different light, depending on their own personal biases. I enjoyed evaluating the evidence characters gave about Caroline, as the testimonies given are a mixture of truth, lies and assumptions, the latter often very distorting of what happened.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 14, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also was looking up some lists of great golden-age detective novels and yep people still take the Knox rules seriously, someone excluded And Then There Were None because there's no detective and the solution is only found by accident (via bottle message)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also was looking up some lists of great golden-age detective novels and yep people still take the Knox rules seriously, someone excluded And Then There Were None because there's no detective and the solution is only found by accident (via bottle message)

Funny enough I just read And Then There Were None and I thought it DID break the Knox rules because I considered the judge to be the detective.

Speaking of that, If I wanted to get more into mystery novels are there any you all would recommend?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Somewhat relatedly, I'm kinda interested in Our World is Ended, by which I mean I will probably buy it and never end up reading it

I think I'm going to buy it. I'm in a serious mood for a VN game and most reviews seem to indicate that if you're fine with stein;s gate you'll be fine with this game.

Like stein;s gate is great but isn't the original thing like a decade old? Our world is ended is probably what if someone made a stein;s gate like game but with today's culture (so vr is more prominent as an example)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Funny enough I just read And Then There Were None and I thought it DID break the Knox rules because I considered the judge to be the detective.

Speaking of that, If I wanted to get more into mystery novels are there any you all would recommend?

of the Christie's I've read, other than the ones everyone's read (And Then There Were None/Orient Express) which are great, I also love Curtain, The ABC Murders, and After the Funeral

of modern stuff, the Colin Dexter/Inspector Morse books are great if you prefer more classical-styled mysteries to harder grisly crime-fiction stuff (e.g. the Dragon Tattoo books) without getting into the airport-novel "cozy mystery" stuff. The Dead of Jericho and The Wench is Dead are usually the two that get recommended.

also if you want a bizarre but fascinating golden-age novel which tramples on Knox's rules while laughing, you have to read The Face on the Cutting-Room Floor

(actually Face on the Cutting-Room floor would be interesting for Umineko fans because it's one of the first examples of the pseudo-genre of "post-modern mystery" which Umineko is blatantly a part of. I absolutely can not believe this book was published in 1937, by the way, it's amazingly modern for the time. what's even more amazing was that it was written by a 19-year old German who wrote the book as part of an exercise to learn English)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 14, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Assuming you mean plain text novels and not visual novels, G.K. Chesterton's stuff is odd but very good. Some people have issues with his Father Brown stories because of how steeped they are in catholic philosophy, but personally I found them a very interesting perspective that I probably wouldn't have encountered otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ineffiable posted:

I think I'm going to buy it. I'm in a serious mood for a VN game and most reviews seem to indicate that if you're fine with stein;s gate you'll be fine with this game.

Like stein;s gate is great but isn't the original thing like a decade old? Our world is ended is probably what if someone made a stein;s gate like game but with today's culture (so vr is more prominent as an example)

Yeah, the April Fool's joke for then was 10 projects for the 10th anniversary or whatever

oh god

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

of the Christie's I've read, other than the ones everyone's read (And Then There Were None/Orient Express) which are great, I also love Curtain, The ABC Murders, and After the Funeral

Definitely another one everyone's read but I hadn't until recently: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Really good!

Also if you are into movie stuff, I guess read Death on the Nile before that comes out next year?

For modern stuff, I would recommend Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series. I also love the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) Cormoran Strike series.

To be on topic for this thread, I just preordered Our World Is Ended on switch because I am a sucker and it is 10% off. Really wish they were still putting this stuff on vita because it is definitely easier to hold than the switch and I just can't get into VN on PS4 (as evidenced by still not having finished 428 but I'm trying). So I guess I'll report back after tomorrow.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nthing a vote for The ABC Murders, one of my favorite mystery novels ever. I tried reading The Mysterious Affair At Styles as an introduction to Christie and bounced off hard, but The ABC Murders hooked me so bad I started reading through her bibliography for years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Death on the Nile is one of those mystery books that's almost made to be adapted for film because of the setting.

By the way, for the Poirot books, the ITV/David Suchet adaptations are generally very good (the ABC Murders and Five Little Pigs are especially good) with a few exceptions like some weird liberties they took with Roger Ackroyd, and also the adaptations of the awful late period Poirot books nobody likes (e.g. Labors of Hercules)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Umineko is a lot more complicated and explicitly metafictional than that but in the same way, "how did these crimes get committed" is really a much less important question than the one Beatrice asks at the end of Ep4, "who am I"?

Even long after understanding pretty much everything else about Umineko, I misinterpreted this line. (spoilers for you that you probably shouldn't read until the end of Episode 7) I didn't realize that transparent Beato at the end of Episode 4 is the bomb. It's why she says "even though there's no one else on this island, I will definitely kill you."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Umineko ch6: well I guess the whole beato/kanon/shannon thing has been explicated at this point

also is it implied that Battler intentionally set up the logic error to force Small Beatrice to solve it?

My subjective opinion about Episode 6 is that (these spoilers are safe for you) the "two Beatos" thing was kind of hamfisted and probably the only significant element of Umineko that I didn't really like. I feel like a lot of Episode 6 was Ryuukishi trying to make it clearer what was going on with Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice, but I feel like the two Beatos thing is just kind of weird, and young Beato in particular is strange and her characterization does not seem very consistent with what we later learn about "the person behind Beatrice." In particular, the stuff with referring to Battler as Father is weird, as is her meta-origin in the first place.

In general I'd say that Episode 6 is both one of the most fun episodes to read and also one of the weakest in retrospect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A lot of e6 is about fictional beatrice as an entity separate from sayo as beatrice which is the least interesting thing in the series to me. Erika's end is one of my favorite parts of the series though so while E6 isnt perfect it has some great silly drama. The structure of how it starts with the creepy locked room then get back there was cool too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh the main problem i had with ep6 was the amount of focus on George/Shannon which, ok, fine, whatever, I don't like George but at least that's somewhat important to Shannon's character and Jessica/Kanon which is more or less just a case of Jessica falling for the closest boy available because she's reaching that age where kids do things like that. neither relationship is one i really found compelling compared to, you know, kanon/shannon's "relationship".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah I got sick of George Shannon scenes by the start of episode 2. I just did not enjoy watching it like at all. Watching Kanon rationalize why his relationship with Jessica is important and worth fighting for when it is stupid and dumb was even worse honestly.

There's a pretty funny reference to how unpopular George was with readers in episode 8.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Ineffiable posted:

Like Steins;Gate but with VR instead of time travel is a good description but I think that's the only similarity. The characters in this game are 100 times worse than anyone in S;G. I really hate using this as a descriptor but this game is SO ANIME. In a bad way. All the dialogue is about how perverted the characters are (and it's not wrong). There is an actual tentacle monster in this game.

I made it to chapter 4 and I want to finish it because I already paid for this garbage but also I just want to turn it off and never go back.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1119391673367314432

e: a Ciconia is a Stork by the way :engleft:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 20, 2019

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Will forever be mystified the choice to localize as "X When They Cry".

Yeah yeah yeah putting the animal word first, it sounds stupid.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blame the company that originally licensed the anime (Geneon Entertainment). They took the franchise title of When They Cry, which makes sense as a general franchise title, and applied it to Higurashi itself. The naming scheme has since stuck.

For the record, the Japanese names the games are just "When the Cicadas Cry" and "When the Seagulls Cry." Or I guess their full titles, "When They Cry 1: When the Higurashi Cry," etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lol does this mean higurashi 7/8 will be delayed to work on this like Umineko Chiru

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ytlaya posted:

Even long after understanding pretty much everything else about Umineko, I misinterpreted this line. (spoilers for you that you probably shouldn't read until the end of Episode 7) I didn't realize that transparent Beato at the end of Episode 4 is the bomb. It's why she says "even though there's no one else on this island, I will definitely kill you."

in retrospect the most staggeringly obvious thing I missed until it was explicated in iirc ep7 was what kills everyone at midnight was a loving bomb. i mean the epilogue to episode 1 says stuff about only body parts being recovered!!! what the hell else could it have been?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

Yeah I got sick of George Shannon scenes by the start of episode 2. I just did not enjoy watching it like at all. Watching Kanon rationalize why his relationship with Jessica is important and worth fighting for when it is stupid and dumb was even worse honestly.

There's a pretty funny reference to how unpopular George was with readers in episode 8.

It's not really fair to act like Kanon's views on his relationship with Jessica are dumb, since it isn't really about Jessica. It's more about the choice to live as Kanon/a boy. That's really what the whole "contest" is about; it's not about the romance partners so much as the choice to choose a particular way of life.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in retrospect the most staggeringly obvious thing I missed until it was explicated in iirc ep7 was what kills everyone at midnight was a loving bomb. i mean the epilogue to episode 1 says stuff about only body parts being recovered!!! what the hell else could it have been?

I don't know if this was the case for you, but when I read Umineko I had a problem where I kept expecting there to be clever tricks behind everything, when in reality the actual "mechanisms" by which things happen are generally pretty simple/straight-forward. So I'd immediately write-off the "obvious" answer (which was often the right one).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if this was the case for you, but when I read Umineko I had a problem where I kept expecting there to be clever tricks behind everything, when in reality the actual "mechanisms" by which things happen are generally pretty simple/straight-forward. So I'd immediately write-off the "obvious" answer (which was often the right one).

I think the same deal goes for (general Umineko spoilers)the motive for all the accomplices being money. You really "want" it to be something more complicated than that, but people kill each other over money all the drat time.

By the way, after finishing the VN, I went back and looked up the solutions for each individual episode and re: chapter 5, and entire VN spoilers was this one ever intended to be solvable? most of the theories I've read involve some completely complicated stuff about the murders being a fake murder prank that the family pulled on Erika that someone hijacked into a real serial killing, which is why everyone acts so bizarrely (e.g. Eva being all hunky dory just a few scenes after George was found dead in his room). this one also doesn't really have that much to do with Sayo's "actual" plot and seems to be more an instructional story about unreliable narration and use of mystery genre logic, so I'm wondering if this was just an intentionally near-impossible mystery put in there for the absolute nuts to solve, unlike the ch1-4 murder plots which very much encourage the reader to solve them.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 20, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ep5: Everyone's in on it except Natsuhi and Erika. The first twilight victims are fake to begin with, but are later led away (premably underground) and killed, most of the conspirators don't know about this. Eva is out of character because she doesn't realize the murders later happened for real - as far as she's concerned they're just playing a cruel prank on someone she hates.

Lambda was playing to win in a way that Beatrice never was - she made full use of the culprit's ability to bribe/threaten everyone and hide the actual bodies in an area no-one else has access to. These elements are present in earlier games but aren't used anywhere near as aggressively.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol does this mean higurashi 7/8 will be delayed to work on this like Umineko Chiru

No. There are different people working on these translations. Previous higurashi chapters weren't actually delayed for Umineko Chiru, either. They were delayed for unrelated reasons (like the translator(s) assigned to the project being flakey). Umineko and this new game are actually coordinated projects between 07th expansion and Witch Hunt Translations, with MangaGamer only playing a minor support role (QA, etc).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Feels Villeneuve posted:

By the way, after finishing the VN, I went back and looked up the solutions for each individual episode and re: chapter 5, and entire VN spoilers
Oh, so you're finished? Any overall thoughts/feelings now that you're on the other side? Sure seemed like it was something you got into!

I'm glad in general people seem to be a lot more receptive to the overall structure/themes of Chiru and there seems to have been a renaissance of people discovering the game for the first time. While I do think solving the mystery was more fun when people could ruminate on each episode as it came out, it seems like the story itself is more easily digestible for people who can just binge it. At least that's been my takeaway reading some of these responses.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nate RFB posted:

Oh, so you're finished? Any overall thoughts/feelings now that you're on the other side? Sure seemed like it was something you got into!

I'm glad in general people seem to be a lot more receptive to the overall structure/themes of Chiru and there seems to have been a renaissance of people discovering the game for the first time. While I do think solving the mystery was more fun when people could ruminate on each episode as it came out, it seems like the story itself is more easily digestible for people who can just binge it. At least that's been my takeaway reading some of these responses.

Ch8, scattered thoughts, and full novel spoilers etc- If I had a complaint, it's that the fuckery involving the metafictional world and the multiple Ange timelines really should have been trimmed a bit, because I'm not sure the structural complexity of that added to the story at all. I sort of get what he was trying to do, but I think it could have been slightly cleaned up.

I didn't end up solving the entire thing, but I solved "enough" of it without the structural advantage of ruminating over each chapter for six months to be satisfied. One of my assumptions prior to Ch7 was that there was some severely hosed up abuse poo poo going on that the servant training house which caused the whole Shannon/Kanon/"Furniture" thing, so seeing what actually happened more or less was really interesting. (there's a throwaway line near the end of Ch7 in a big series of flashbacks I had to replay a few times, but it's implied that the injuries Lion got after Natty drop-kicked them off a cliff effectively left them castrated, right? Hence their constant self-loathing about impossible love)

Yasu's motive was odd. It isn't a satisfying one, but in a sense I think it's not really supposed to make sense in a rational way, since it's deeply tied up in Yasu's psyche and self-loathing. Reading chapter 7 makes you want to yell at Battler, but then again, how could he really have known?

There's a bunch of moral/philosophical stuff in Ch8 that I'm in two minds on. I do get Game Master Battler's general idea of trying to get Ange to remember her family as she loved them, and not live solely to get a truth that won't satisfy her anyway (it's pretty clear that Ange only wants a truth where Eva killed everyone else, and the rest of her family was blameless, and even if she did get that truth, what would she have left to live for?), and a lot of the family, even the outright nasty members like Kyrie have good sides to them. On the other hand, seeing the happy grandpa portrayal of Kinzo is weird since a) he raped his own daughter, and b) Genji apparently hid the true identity of Shannon/Kanon from Kinzo because he was legitimately concerned he would rape his own grandchild which: what the gently caress. For the same reason I felt deeply conflicted about the portrayal of Rosa badassly protecting Maria.

One of the odder things: The whole thing with Beatrice II falling to her death and Yasu/Lion/Whatever falling to their near-death off cliffs was weird, in the sense that those stories were similar enough that I got confused and thought something weird was happening, but nope, two separate incidences of Beatrices falling off cliffs. This actually does explain Kinzo's reaction to Lion's presumed death- instead of going into grief, he seems to think it's basically fatalistic and the universe punishing him for his sin- which makes sense given how coincidental those deaths were.

I honestly don't have that many thoughts on the authorship/Featherine stuff and the Battler who "survived" the incident- I'm really happy Ange got to meet Battler again, but honestly, out of all the post-Rokkenjima stuff, I found that the least interesting compared to Ange's life.

Lion and Will are extremely gay, and I wish them the best. I was also weirdly affected by Lambda and Bern making up in the end. Dlanor was amazing as always.

by the way, if there was any advice i'd give a first time player, it'd be more or less don't bother attempting to solve the epitaph, it's almost impossible for an English-speaker and the "literal" solution isn't actually that relevant to the story (LORD U????) anyway. Figuring out "why" the epitaph exists in the first place is much more interesting and relevant.

Anyway, to sum things up, it's clear that the primary theme of Umineko is never, under any circumstances, invite Bernkastel to a dinner party

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I'm playing Higurashi now lol. TBH I've been spoiled a bit with this one from reading Umineko spoilers (I know that like Umineko there's no supernatural murders going on, and it's all due to paranoid delusions suffered by the characters. I'm at the part in Chapter 2 where presumably poo poo Is Going Down Again (they just got out of the shed with all the vivisection tools in it), and this is a really fun read. It's not paced as well but it has a Steins Gate thing going on where the wacky hijinx chapters are annoying at the time and then things start happening and you desperately want to go back to wacky hijinx again

Also (Higurashi ch2) Shion might be the most annoying VN character since Kokichi in DRv3 (in a good way). She is an rear end in a top hat and also rules. Unfortunately I am positive she is going to get murdery since she's starting to hallucinate.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 21, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still think that I prefer the actual mystery in Higurashi, and to a certain extent the overall cast. There is some very strong catharis and sets of arcs for them by the end. But that said Umineko is the more impressive work to me and I think is bigger than the sum of its parts in some ways that Higurashi isn't. I love both though and super hope Higu 7 (which still might be my favorite individual chapter across the franchies) and 8 come out soon.

WRT to some of youknowwho's motivations in Umineko, th EP8 manga does make a lot of the subtext just text:

Nate RFB posted:

I've always been ambivalent about the various Higurashi/Umineko adaptions for various reasons but the EP8 manga is pretty decent because it does feature some meaningful extra content.

The three confessions chapters start here: https://mangadex.org/chapter/241596/1

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I definitely prefer higurashi as well. There's just something about small town mysteries...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fru Fru posted:

Like Steins;Gate but with VR instead of time travel is a good description but I think that's the only similarity. The characters in this game are 100 times worse than anyone in S;G. I really hate using this as a descriptor but this game is SO ANIME. In a bad way. All the dialogue is about how perverted the characters are (and it's not wrong). There is an actual tentacle monster in this game.

I made it to chapter 4 and I want to finish it because I already paid for this garbage but also I just want to turn it off and never go back.

Oh that's a shame. I might just save my money and wait for that ai solemnium files or something later this year.

So there's not much interesting about our world is ended besides the setting/premise? I think part of what people liked about Steins gate was following the characters.

I hope to hear your thoughts after getting the true/secret ending or whatever this game has. If you still feel the same even after getting it then I'll skip this game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i found out that there was a higurashi mahjong game for the PSP. i may have spent 15 minutes trying to see if it was available to download for the vita (i don't read a word of japanese but can get around a mahjong app)

Higurashi ch2 update: I take back all the nice things I said about Shion. Or maybe Mion is the actual rear end in a top hat idk. This is why Ronald Knox hates twins

I've also vaguely been working through Chaos;Child, and one of my favorite things about it so far is that it's the only VN i know of which does the Schrodinger's Cat infodump and then actually explains that it was meant as an absurd paradox criticizing the then-current interpretations of quantum mechanics, and not as a literal theory of an alive/dead cat, which has to be a joke about how often it appears in VNs.

The most weirdly nostalgic moment in Chaos;Child- seeing the 2014 Twitter interface in the game

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 22, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Has there been any news at all on Higurashi 7 and 8 yet? The question arcs got released pretty quickly but then there's been a drat year in between 4 and 5 and 5 and 6. We're coming up on that year mark again and it sucksssssss, especially now that I'm elbow deep in Umineko and it's reframed some stuff already.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

Has there been any news at all on Higurashi 7 and 8 yet? The question arcs got released pretty quickly but then there's been a drat year in between 4 and 5 and 5 and 6. We're coming up on that year mark again and it sucksssssss, especially now that I'm elbow deep in Umineko and it's reframed some stuff already.

I think the last thing may have been this? I'm not sure.

https://twitter.com/mangagamer/status/1099814325483638784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think they reported it was actively in beta. No idea when it will actually come out though.

e) yup
https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1117212748717481989