Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

[edit] I really hate that "Language!" gag so much.

It's really bad, and a nice little encapsulation of Whedon taking an interesting interpretation of the character in his solo movie and just slotting him into a simple archetype that he can write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My favourite part is when the unstoppable killer robot who's a threat to the entire world can barely outbox Captain America.

Also Stark's journey being to create a powerful but evil robot, and the solution being to create a far more powerful but not evil robot. What a loving mess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At least Hawkeye was funny in parts of the movie. "There are killer robots outside, I'm armed with a bow and arrows, and nothing about this makes sense."

Probably because Whedon just writes him as Xander again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vintersorg posted:

The Avengers theme is really loving bad - it's almost embarrassingly bad.

There's this little flare of music in the Thor vs Hulk fight in Ragnarok, which I don't know if it's the Avengers theme, or just some similar bland Thor theme, but it's so bad it ruins the entire loving scene.

Didn't use the Wild Thing cover. 0/10, would not watch.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think probably Grant Morrison or someone in the comics implied that the Joker is a phenomenon not restricted to one person and possibly older than Gotham.

Reminded of how often the surviving psychiatrists of Arkham generally end up concluding that the Joker's diagnosis is just 'being the Joker', and the possibility that it goes the other way, that there is a specific mental condition that manifests in 'Being the Joker'.

I do feel they kinda flirt with this a bit in Suicide Squad, Joker says he's an idea, "A state of mind."

The Joker gets killed in the plane crash, and gets replaced by the dirtbag guard.

Harley did just want someone to come in and play with her after all...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

It's really bad, and a nice little encapsulation of Whedon taking an interesting interpretation of the character in his solo movie and just slotting him into a simple archetype that he can write.

Behold, the man I've heard unironically referred to as "our lord and savior" and "nerd jesus" in fandom circles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Can you even find people still willing to stan for him at this point?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m sure you can find a small little Firefly booth in the corner of some random convention, where all 3 people will proclaim their undying love for him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I do feel they kinda flirt with this a bit in Suicide Squad, Joker says he's an idea, "A state of mind."

The Joker gets killed in the plane crash, and gets replaced by the dirtbag guard.

Harley did just want someone to come in and play with her after all...

Yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Lol

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Mouse Discard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

I’m sure you can find a small little Firefly booth in the corner of some random convention, where all 3 people will proclaim their undying love for him.

A few years ago I was at a work related conference/training/networking sorta thing and this woman was up to give her part of a presentation and when she set up her laptop/etc. on the projector I noticed her wallpaper had a render of a starship I didn't recognize and some sci-fi-ish quote(s?) about not taking away our freedom and stuff like that. Anyway it caught my attention because it looked familiar but not at the same time so towards the end while we were all wrapping up I Googled the quote and it was from Firefly. I'm not like a super Firefly fan or whatever but the ship itself didn't really ring a bell for anything I remembered from that show.

Then the memory of a particular thread (now multiple threads all next to each other) on this board came to mind, it couldn't be one of THOSE ships, could it?

It was, on that day I met a citizen of the stars, I personally shook hands with a Star Citizen.

So there's your Firefly fandom.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

My favourite part is when the unstoppable killer robot who's a threat to the entire world can barely outbox Captain America.

Also Stark's journey being to create a powerful but evil robot, and the solution being to create a far more powerful but not evil robot. What a loving mess.

:hfive: I bring this up all the time too, it REALLY sucked and was stupid because the build up of that scene was pretty decent and you got the sense that, while not permanently killed off of course, Captain America was about to at least get extremely beaten up or otherwise taken out of the movie while sacrificing himself to buy time so Black Widow could do the thing with hi-jacking the robot sarcophagus from the plane or whatever. And like this was a very desperate measure on his part. Instead he's literally tosses Ultron around and goes toe to toe with him for quite some time so it's like, why doesn't Thor just hit Ultron really hard with his hammer instead of disappearing to float in a pool for most of the movie?

EDIT: LOL That reminds me that entire setpiece, in all of the toys, doesn't involve Black Widow and is made as if Captain America is the one who does the thing with the plane.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 18, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mulva posted:

I think it was in the Snyder thread someone posted a tweet that referred to him as a humanist (to contrast to Snyder being a fascist). I dunno, the guy still gets work front-running shows that contain all-women casts despite being a creepy predator.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

About the only thing about Firefly I can still stand now is the theme song.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The only episodes of Firefly I ever remember any more are the Shindig one, the one where Adam Baldwin is hailed as a savior on the slave planet, and the episodes with Christina Hendricks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Whedon peaked with Firefly, a thing he didn't even do half the writing and directing poo poo in anyway, that has aged kind of... ehhhhh *holds hand parallel to the ground and shakes it a little*

The movie Serenity is markedly worse than the TV series, and basically bails on what character development happened in the series, while throwing in new poo poo that is all worse that the pre-existing stuff that had been set up or hinted at earlier in the show.

This may have established a pattern for his future movies now that I think about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sean10mm posted:

Whedon peaked with Firefly, a thing he didn't even do half the writing and directing poo poo in anyway, that has aged kind of... ehhhhh *holds hand parallel to the ground and shakes it a little*

The movie Serenity is markedly worse than the TV series, and basically bails on what character development happened in the series, while throwing in new poo poo that is all worse that the pre-existing stuff that had been set up or hinted at earlier in the show.

This may have established a pattern for his future movies now that I think about it.

What I disliked about Serenity was it left it's soul/vibe on tv. It no longer had a cool western vibe. I can understand the studio not letting the space battles be silent but that also hurt it to me. The film was also hurt by trying to cram in a season's worth of stuff into a movie.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What really bugs me about Age of Ultron is that it came out the year after Winter Soldier (I think with no MCU movies in between) and directly undoes the entire message of Winter Soldier. Tony just immediately redoes Project Insight all over again, but with A.I./robots intead of helicarriers. Winter Soldier ends with Black Widow saying "sure we're unaccountable, but you need us". AOU opens with "the world shouldn't rely on Avengers, we need an automatic weapon system".

Also it's a bad movie and Joss Whedon writes dialogue for every character identically.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mulva posted:

Apparently, HBO.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

smoobles posted:

What really bugs me about Age of Ultron is that it came out the year after Winter Soldier (I think with no MCU movies in between) and directly undoes the entire message of Winter Soldier. Tony just immediately redoes Project Insight all over again, but with A.I./robots intead of helicarriers. Winter Soldier ends with Black Widow saying "sure we're unaccountable, but you need us". AOU opens with "the world shouldn't rely on Avengers, we need an automatic weapon system".

Cap disapproves of the global pre-emptive war program in both movies. He just beats Hydra in his solo movie and loses to its more perfect form (Stark) in the teamup. I'm not sure how that undoes the message. It's just a story in which Cap loses to Tony.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 18, 2019

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah good point, I guess my problem is more retreading nearly the same bad thing the world (and Stark presumably) learned is a bad idea a year ago in D.C. Your'e right that Cap's motivations are consistent.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1118730552130056192

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well he’s right.

It’s absolutely a failure that they couldn’t find a way to make a character who’s a bad guy and happens to be from China (or Afghanistan, as implied back in Iron Man 1) without making Stark and the MCU seem racist - because of course they are racist.

Like if you need a rule, for public relations purposes, that you can never interact with people of colour unless they’re explicitly your friend... that’s kinda weird, no?

The short is like almost good because lol Stark has completely failed to defeat his arch-nemesis and may not even be aware he‘s still out there.

It's like how Disney made Tarzan not racist by just not having any black characters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Snowman_McK posted:

Sounds like a real bogus journey.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gavok posted:

Sounds like a real bogus journey.

Not so fast. First Bill and Ted did not create the first evil robots. Secondly the good ones they created were made by heaven's most brilliant scientists so they were probably good to go on that one.

Also, why does everyone say Tony Stark created Ultron. He found a pre-existing AI and put it in what was supposed to be a closed test system. It escaped, and built itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Also, why does everyone say Tony Stark created Ultron. He found a pre-existing AI and put it in what was supposed to be a closed test system. It escaped, and built itself.

It wasn't a preexisting AI. Jarvis, when introducing itself to the new AI, says "You are Ultron, a global peacekeeping initiative designed by Mr. Stark." As described in the movie, Ultron was a preexisting AI project that Tony uses the mind stone to complete. You mess with the space stone and portals to space open. You mess with the power stone and it overloads you with power. You hook the mind stone up to your computer system and it wakes the computer up. I don't think it's supposed to be that Loki's staff had a machine intelligence adapted to 21st century human computer hardware stored on it like it's a giant novelty USB drive.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 18, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not like Loki's staff had a machine intelligence adapted to 21st century human computer hardware stored on it like it's a giant novelty USB drive.

Some fan of the movies somewhere has no doubt done this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm one of the few that didn't mind Leto Joker at all but I'm not sure I need a whole movie of that poo poo either. I would have rather seen more Joker/Harley interaction than whatever Suicide Squad was supposed to be though.

DC's best bet moving forward is to no doubt just kind of poo poo can the shared universe stuff beyond anything past a superficial connection and just write good films with the characters they have to work with.

So far, Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman are the best things they've done (minus the Nolan films) and they largely take this approach. DC has some great characters to work with - probably the top two in all of comics - so rather than try and beat Marvel at their own game just make a good Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow. or stand alone Batman film that people want to watch. Maybe the "shared universe" thing will just sort of come naturally but, if not, it's not needed.

Take a shot with some lower tier characters while the iron is still red hot on comic films and maybe do something interesting with lower tiered characters like Specter, Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Atom, Lobo or even loving FIrestorm with some directors who have a unique vision and some writers with some clever ideas. DC owns loving Sandman.

Or, if they insist on a shared universe approach, just go loving nuts and do Kingdom Come. And do it WELL. It'd be tough with no set up but it's entirely possible and having the characters so much older gets rid of casting issues.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thor's side quest seems a bit out of place in Age of Ultron. They should have just cut that.

[edit] I guess it was just an excuse to get Hemsworth shirtless?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Remember that Joss Whedon got locked out of editing by Feige + other execs to make sure that series of scenes was absolutely in the picture because even Whedon knew it was pointless and stupid

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

DC's best bet moving forward is to no doubt just kind of poo poo can the shared universe stuff beyond anything past a superficial connection and just write good films with the characters they have to work with.

That's the plan under Walter Hamada.

The Cameo posted:

Remember that Joss Whedon got locked out of editing by Feige + other execs to make sure that series of scenes was absolutely in the picture because even Whedon knew it was pointless and stupid

Ahh yeah, I remember that happening now. Didn't realize that's what it was related to though, lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember Whedon's first cut was super huge and he complained he had to trim it because the movie was super personal for him.

I laughed.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

#ReleaseTheWhedonCut

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Fry cook asked to take the pickles off of a Big Mac: "please no, this burger is super personal to me"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I still like the birth of Vision, and the payoff to the earlier scene where everyone tried to lift Mjolnir was good. I think I just really like Paul Bettany. I need to rewatch A Knight's Tale.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did Ultron ever try to lift Mjolnir? It would have been funny if later he grabbed it with ease too. Undercut the Vision lift because Mjolnir magic views robots as objects.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"If you get killed... walk it off" OKAY CAP!

:patriot:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Give us a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold film first, followed by Justice League featuring Shazam, Booster, Beetle, and some other low-tier characters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd kill for a JLI movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I watched Justice League vs the Fatal Five a little while ago and thought Jessica Cruz was an interesting character. I think it'd be cool to see a live-action iteration of her to be the DCEU's main Green Lantern.