Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like you could go deer hunting with a buck knife and a can-do attitude in a good number of places in the US. Definitely in Nebraska, where I grow up. Dumb things have no survival instinct to fear humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel like you could go deer hunting with a buck knife and a can-do attitude in a good number of places in the US. Definitely in Nebraska, where I grow up. Dumb things have no survival instinct to fear humans.

Black powder hunting is absolutely a thing. You can get an outstanding black powder rifle for super cheap.

Troll craigslist for bows/crossbows and you can start hunting for probably less than 100$

The most bougie thing with hunting I can think of is these rich people hunting clubs. There's one in my state that has thousands of acres and only allows ultra-rich sports stars and ceos in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

But that's true for everything if you go that way. When I brought up soccer I was thinking of the people I've seen with 1,000 dollars worth of gear + private lessons + fees to be on the "good" team type soccer folks.

I get where you're coming from, but soccer is just a real weird example to use because there's absolutely no way you can get the cost of entry of hunting down to the cost of entry of soccer, that's the primary reason why every country on earth plays soccer and it's existed for millennia. Even if you're carving up your own spear or making your own bow or w/e using only rocks you're going to wind up taking more time and effort doing that than you'd take procuring a ball of some kind.

spacetoaster posted:

Entry level hunting is pretty low (and you don't have to use a gun). And then you're getting a shitload of ethical meat.

Ethical Meat is a good band name. Do not steal.

I'm not entirely sold on the "ethical meat" part either, like it assumes you're using a gun or a particularly good bow, the projectile has enough power to destroy the animal's brain immediately, and you never miss. If any of this isn't the case then you're pretty much just causing suffering for your own entertainment

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Black powder hunting is absolutely a thing. You can get an outstanding black powder rifle for super cheap.

People aren't using those for hunting, they're using them because it's the only kind of gun you're allowed to use if you have a criminal record :ssh:

e: Though tbf I bet there's some historical reenactment renfest dorks who hunt with muskets just to be dorks about it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shame Boy posted:

People aren't using those for hunting, they're using them because it's the only kind of gun you're allowed to use if you have a criminal record :ssh:

Also a lot of places the bow/black powder season starts earlier, meaning more easy animals. It's a thing

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah, black powder hunting generally gives you the first crack at killing a deer. people absolutely hunt with them. I know one weird dude who only shoots black powder for sport and recreation. to the best of my knowledge, hes not trying to skirt atf firearm regulation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A&W has a vegetable patty but they charge extra for it. It's really good apparently but paying more for veggie is putting people off.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I get where you're coming from, but soccer is just a real weird example to use because there's absolutely no way you can get the cost of entry of hunting down to the cost of entry of soccer

Absolutely, I'm not meaning to argue that. It's just that I bet the entry into hunting is a lot lower than people who know nothing about it think.

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not entirely sold on the "ethical meat" part either, like it assumes you're using a gun or a particularly good bow, the projectile has enough power to destroy the animal's brain immediately, and you never miss. If any of this isn't the case then you're pretty much just causing suffering for your own entertainment

It's not for entertainment. It's for getting food (really healthy food that's higher in nutrients and has never had drugs/hormones injected into it). Spending hours out in nature and stuff is entertaining, but it's not the point.

I'd also argue that causing suffering is relative. What if I put the shot through the animals lungs/heart and it bounds a few feet before it collapses (which is considered by a lot of hunters to be more ethical because that's a larger target than the head)? Compared to what we're doing in factory farms I'll take a fairly quick death after living a life free.

Shame Boy posted:

e: Though tbf I bet there's some historical reenactment renfest dorks who hunt with muskets just to be dorks about it

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/muzzleloader-test-hunting-rifles

You can buy black powder rifles at any outdoors store. Even walmart.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Apr 18, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

The only black powder hunter I ever met was a marine sharpshooter who said modern weapons were unsporting for him, so I guess they do exist

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Former DILF posted:

The only black powder hunter I ever met was a marine sharpshooter who said modern weapons were unsporting for him, so I guess they do exist

That's dumb as gently caress

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

JudgeX posted:

cool post,

where did you get the information from though? the comparisons to land game reminds me of the push towards hyperlocality and hyperseasonalism that is the current driving trend in fine dining especially, but is quickly trickling down to everything but fast food. the whole thing feels as liberal as the culinary establishment has been for it's entire modernity, an industry driven by the wealthy and staffed by the self-indulgent. when do we stomp down the forests in our pursuit of mushrooms, roots, and wasp nests in our pusuit of what can be described as sacred holistic food to the 'foodies' of the world.

impossible meat is extremely cool, and i hope charcutarie is a future possibility. i love pork on its own but curing it is transcendent. i should really just give up on pigs, we really just beat them to standing up.

It's drawn from a variety of sources. If you are interested in terrestrial game I recommend reading anything about bison or passenger pigeons For a summary of how ridiculous unregulated commercial exploitation of wild game was in the 19th century. That started to change in the early 20th century.

Good popular books that will introduce you to some of the issues with fisheries I can recommend a few books. Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg is about the modern shift towards aquaculture. It looks closely at trends in salmon, tuna, bass, and cod fisheries, and the economic push to farm raise these species even if maybe they aren't the best candidates for domestication.

For a look at the intersection of commercial fishing, sports fishing, aquaculture and everything else water related, I recommend the book The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan. Its jam packed with insight into our relationship with the water and how we have effected natural systems. It tells lots of great stories, it makes a good narrative out of what are really complex issues. It tells the stories of Asian carp, Zebra mussels, the local fish, and stocked salmon. It provides a lot of insight into WHY people manage resources the way it does, why it fails, and natures surprising capacity to fix itself.

edit:

An adorable Heath Hen, once so common on the East coast of North America and cheaply bought it was considered cruel to feed them to your servants. Exterminated from the mainland by 1900, extinct in the nineteen-twenties.

Squalid has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Apr 18, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Also a lot of places the bow/black powder season starts earlier, meaning more easy animals. It's a thing

I knew the bow thing but wasn't aware it also applied to black powder, huh

spacetoaster posted:

Absolutely, I'm not meaning to argue that. It's just that I bet the entry into hunting is a lot lower than people who know nothing about it think.

Yeah I got ya

spacetoaster posted:

It's not for entertainment. It's for getting food (really healthy food that's higher in nutrients and has never had drugs/hormones injected into it). Spending hours out in nature and stuff is entertaining, but it's not the point.

I'd say that's still for entertainment but ok

spacetoaster posted:

I'd also argue that causing suffering is relative. What if I put the shot through the animals lungs/heart and it bounds a few feet before it collapses (which is considered by a lot of hunters to be more ethical because that's a larger target than the head)? Compared to what we're doing in factory farms I'll take a fairly quick death after living a life free.

I mean yeah but compared to factory farming killing the thing by skinning it alive would be less unethical. Luckily those aren't the only two options.

Yes I'm aware those exist, I know someone who owns one. Guess what he's never actually used it to do :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Why do you think that? Did you actually try to go hunting and have to reject the idea because it was so expensive? Because it's not, at all.

because i come from a familial and geographic background where hunting is a cultural hobby and I know exactly the people that get to and don't get to do it

little secret --- it's bourgeois as gently caress and you just don't identify as the bourgeoisie gently caress

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Outrail posted:

A&W has a vegetable patty but they charge extra for it. It's really good apparently but paying more for veggie is putting people off.

when we moved to iowa, my wife was excited that a restaurant in town had a veggie burger. turns out after further investigation, it was simply a beef burger with lettuce, onion, and tomato.

i bought some beyond patties a couple days ago because they were on sale at the grocery store. havent tried em yet, but im glad to read good things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the basic tools of hunting are the cheapest and easiest and simplest part of the process, and always have been, its all the parts after that

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

lancemantis posted:

because i come from a familial and geographic background where hunting is a cultural hobby and I know exactly the people that get to and don't get to do it

little secret --- it's bourgeois as gently caress and you just don't identify as the bourgeoisie gently caress

where abouts is that? the biggest hunter i know is a handyman and volunteer driver for the ambulance

I know the ceo of the hospital he works at is a giant waterfowl enthusiast and built a goddamn wetland and travels all over the country. bougie fucks that travel to hunt are a thing, as are salt of the earth types.

my wife enjoys hunting. i have never gone. we both grew up poor as gently caress and were below average for income until last year

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eat This Glob posted:

where abouts is that? the biggest hunter i know is a handyman and volunteer driver for the ambulance

I know the ceo of the hospital he works at is a giant waterfowl enthusiast and built a goddamn wetland and travels all over the country. bougie fucks that travel to hunt are a thing, as are salt of the earth types.

my wife enjoys hunting. i have never gone. we both grew up poor as gently caress and were below average for income until last year

No, you see I saw a hunter once and he was bougie as gently caress. :colbert:

Seriously though, it's cheap and easy. And the wildlife department in your area would love to help anyone get into it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lancemantis posted:

the basic tools of hunting are the cheapest and easiest and simplest part of the process, and always have been, its all the parts after that

Dependant on where you live

1. $ Tags and/or liscence
2. Vehicle to get to where you can hunt which can be hours away.
3. Tools or $ to have butchered

Agreed. Theres a good amount of upfront money for no guarantee of reward on the other end.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Agreed. Theres a good amount of upfront money for no guarantee of reward on the other end.

Are we still talking about hunting?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Are we still talking about hunting?

Out of context that does look like incel.txt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

like when it's time to shake that bear

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hunt the rich

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
honestly presenting hunting as the sport of the everyman is like arguing camping and backpacking are activities of the everyman

activities know for their broad and diverse representation

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Outrail posted:

part of it is economy of scale, part is also how radically we subsidize meat in the US, to the point that meat tacos cost less at taco bell than bean burritos, and part of it is just :capitalism:
if the veggie burger cost the same or less than the real thing, that would imply it wasn't a quality item. Mark up the price, like Carl Jr's beyond burger (about double the regular burger) and suddenly you've got a premium item on the menu you can advertise to everyone

the patties being sold in carl's are just slightly better than Morningstar farm's veggie patties. But I've had beyond and impossible meats even at places where you're paying $15 bucks a plate that really are surprising.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My relationship with soccer parents is a pretty lovely capitalism story.

My kids are all young (not in, or close, to high school) and we had an exchange student come live with us for a school year (9 months or so).

He was 15 so he went to the highschool and wanted to play soccer. Here's the crazy poo poo that I had no idea about with highschool soccer (probably highschool sports in general):

- 800 dollars for the gear (bag, socks, shirts, shorts)
- Even more money for shoes and stuff
- There are several teams (travel team, home team, jv team, some other team, etc)
- Those teams are in a pecking order and the parents are all very much assholes to each other all the time based on your kid's place on what team
- Soccer is VERY IMPORTANT and if your kid isn't on the right team it's a BIG loving DEAL so a lot of the parents pay ungodly amounts of money for private lessons
- Parents absolutely bribe the school/coaches to make sure their kids get on the correct team
- And they're openly racist and horrible

Our student just got on the lower team and played soccer and I just tried to not give a poo poo about all the other drama.

So yeah, soccer is a pretty awesome sport for poor people around the world, but we in America have found a way to turn it into a poo poo show.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like fishing was the most accessible activity where i grew up, and a lot of that was based in just rampant poaching and tresspassing

like i don't think i've fished with a permit in my life

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

spacetoaster posted:

But that's true for everything if you go that way. When I brought up soccer I was thinking of the people I've seen with 1,000 dollars worth of gear + private lessons + fees to be on the "good" team type soccer folks.

this is literally only in America lmao it is the exact loving opposite in every other county and it’s why America sucks rear end at the sport

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

this is literally only in America lmao it is the exact loving opposite in every other county and it’s why America sucks rear end at the sport

Anyone have any insight as to why this is in the States? All I can think is that American Football was just first past the post here, and Soccer/Football ended up as bougie suburban momsport as a way to distinguish white upper-middle class households from....

I don't know, that barely holds water given that dumbshit amounts of money with throw into American Football. Someone who is good at sports history, please help.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Eat This Glob posted:

when we moved to iowa, my wife was excited that a restaurant in town had a veggie burger. turns out after further investigation, it was simply a beef burger with lettuce, onion, and tomato.

Ahahahaha goddamn the midwest owns

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's the same way in China (lovely rich people deeply involved) too.

And I have no experience with western Europe, but I imagine it's similar too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lancemantis posted:

honestly presenting hunting as the sport of the everyman is like arguing camping and backpacking are activities of the everyman

activities know for their broad and diverse representation

i see lots of poc camping in downtown seattle
:eng99:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

spacetoaster posted:

It's the same way in China (lovely rich people deeply involved) too.

uh no it’s the opposite in Western Europe my dude

tho there the talent is scooped up by academies who pay for all that stuff themselves, so while it’s arguably more of a pure meritocracy there are different issues

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

uh no it’s the opposite in Western Europe my dude

tho there the talent is scooped up by academies who pay for all that stuff themselves, so while it’s arguably more of a pure meritocracy there are different issues

Maybe. I was talking specifically about kids school teams, not sports academies.

I'm glad though that France doesn't have the lovely rich sports parents.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

nope

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah sports development in the US is also hilarious

almost all of our Olympians are just rich kids vs a lot of other countries where becoming an Olympian is much more attainable because they pay for it on national levels

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i remember when the ioc cancelled wrestling in future olympics for some crazy bougie poo poo involving horses or something? Modern pentathlon?

they eventually had to relent since it is the only sport since it has been around since the first ancient olmpics and requires like no equipment and everyone got pissed.

wrestling owns and is like the most meritocratic sport next to running

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as a good ol' boy hillbilly myself black powder rifles are pretty uncommon around here but that's mostly because we're all insanely poor and most peoples .308s and whatnot are heirlooms from their grandpa or whatever. but once and a while you get the overlap of redneck gun nerd with history nerd and those people tend to be very in to them, and slowly end up with a couple of usable pieces and some historical ones they keep around for show

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and on a related note track and field is the poor students sport of choice since all you need is track spikes, which are kind of pricey but are surprisingly durable.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only real place you'll see a more diverse pool of talent in US Olympic sports is where they're accidentally subsidized by also being high school/collegiate ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Outrail posted:

Yah, the beyond meat burgers ar A&W are really good, and have become my go to fast food option. They seem to be going over fairly well in Canada at least, since they just started serving a beyond meat breakfast sandwich.