Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd also guess (season 4) that the powers of an agent of the lonely has some control over who is eavesdropping on them as well. He likely can block Jon's power to some extent.

I'm going to spoiler the whole post because phone posting sucks. This is about season 4 of Magnus.

In the end of the newest episode, Lukas asks Martin to turn off the recording because he has to leave. People take that as courtesy, but I think he can't disappear if he's being observed or recorded. Jonny is very sneaky with clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was extremely not prepared for the sheer :wtf: of Archive 81 season 2, episode 1.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Like he said, every season is different

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
White Vault good. Glad I listened to goons and wasn't a stick in the mud about it. :)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Montalvo posted:

White Vault good. Glad I listened to goons and wasn't a stick in the mud about it. :)

Into season 2 the hunter/security guy is really growing on me. His acting isn't *great*, but it's *better*. Namely I like that he's not playing all big badass "I can kill anything", he's just as scared as everyone else.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I confused White Vault and Station Blue. :( Gave up Station Blue way too late and want my time back.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pope Guilty posted:

I was extremely not prepared for the sheer :wtf: of Archive 81 season 2, episode 1.

Yeah but I mean the direct move from Magnus-style powers and possession and general occult stuff to surgically turning the unwilling protagonist into a human tape system and dumping him in a bizarre hell dimension is fairly jarring, even if I am entirely happy with it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just want to clarify something about my feelings on TMA. I totally can understand the need for a larger plot as a narrative device, but I'd vastly have preferred sorta a "rogue's gallery" almost sort of approach rather than "these people are just vessels for some primordial power so they don't matter at all really". Prentiss is a good example. I didn't mind that arc at all. The part I like less is needing a loving corkboard with red string to figure out who and/or what every single statement or supernatural happening is connected to.

Another example is Leitner. When he was first introduced I loving loved the idea of some creepy nefarious dude collecting these books. Then the reveal happened and to me it was a gigantic wet fart.

I guess my point is I think you can have arcs without having EVERYTHING be connected. It's still a metaplot, it's just not as overarching. I personally would prefer it that way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

I confused White Vault and Station Blue. :( Gave up Station Blue way too late and want my time back.

I just finished season 1 of station blue today and do I wish I hadn't. It started out rough but promising and then just nosedived into garbage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't get the idea of the existence of larger powers meaning that the individual supernatural manifestations and monsters and the like don't matter. They're the ones actually doing things. The fear of being just meat isn't tearing out your lungs, that's the Bone Turner. The fear of being destroyed isn't burning down your house, it's these people whose flesh burns at the touch and flows like hot wax. It's not even clear that the powers exist at all as conscious beings with agendas rather than simply being the sum total of all that fear and the actions of living and magical beings.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 17, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I finished S2 of The White Vault and love it, want more. I tried out one of their other podcasts - "Liberty", which is sci-fi.. and I don't like it. I couldn't even finish the first episode. Anyone else tried it and think its worth pushing through?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't get the idea of the existence of larger powers meaning that the individual supernatural manifestations and monsters and the like don't matter. They're the ones actually doing things. The fear of being just meat isn't tearing out your lungs, that's the Bone Turner. The fear of being destroyed isn't burning down your house, it's these people whose flesh burns at the touch and flows like hot wax. It's not even clear that the powers exist at all as conscious beings with agendas rather than simply being the sum total of all that fear and the actions of living and magical beings.

Yeah, but the effect of the rising metaplot has been to place more emphasis on the larger powers in a way that flattens the unique horrors of any given story. The stuff the circus does isn't particularly uniquely scary to it at all, near the end; nothing with the uncanny valley or the fear of something being subtly off. They just feel like cultists trying to end the world for their evil god.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I can’t really judge the Circus stuff fairly because of the facets of that primal fear the show dips into, creepy dolls with sing-song voices are pretty low on the list of things that work for me. Does it fail because it’s not scary or because it’s the TMA equivalent of a late-period X-Files mythology episode? Hard to say.

I would wager that the best TMA episodes are from the early seasons and not coincidentally, just so happen to be the first inklings of a given Power, before the bigger picture was laid out. The cave diving one being the most obvious example, but the first infection and vampire episodes were on that level.

The show keeps a good par even when you know the templates (as is the case with good horror in general) but I can’t say I actually care about the Institute staff and their grudges against one another / failures to communicate. I’d much rather hear other people’s stories, which is why the statement format works as well as it does. I don’t relish the idea that the staff will always be centered in the end.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Valentin posted:

Yeah, but the effect of the rising metaplot has been to place more emphasis on the larger powers in a way that flattens the unique horrors of any given story. The stuff the circus does isn't particularly uniquely scary to it at all, near the end; nothing with the uncanny valley or the fear of something being subtly off. They just feel like cultists trying to end the world for their evil god.

I can see that, but it's also their own image that they're trying to remake the world in. They don't serve the power so much as they're doing what comes naturally and a world where their power is ascendant is one that is maximally good and enjoyable for them.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I finished S2 of The White Vault and love it, want more. I tried out one of their other podcasts - "Liberty", which is sci-fi.. and I don't like it. I couldn't even finish the first episode. Anyone else tried it and think its worth pushing through?

There’s three liberty podcasts in the same feed.

An on going story that plays like an rpg. Avoid it
Tales from the tower. Anthology in the world. Pretty good things always turns out poorly for everyone involved.
An actual play rpg in the world. I gabe up on the first episode.

So basically listen to tales from the tower and skip the test IMO

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hughlander posted:

There’s three liberty podcasts in the same feed.

An on going story that plays like an rpg. Avoid it
Tales from the tower. Anthology in the world. Pretty good things always turns out poorly for everyone involved.
An actual play rpg in the world. I gabe up on the first episode.

So basically listen to tales from the tower and skip the test IMO

Ah ha, thank you. I'm downloading some Tales now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Valentin posted:

Nailed it. They don't feel like horrors anymore, they feel like supernatural gofers.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Question about the latest Magnus Archives

Has the town ny-ålesund been mentioned before? And if so where?

Statement was really creepy btw

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 18, 2019

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Yes, it's been mentioned in a few previous statements.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes, it’s been mentioned specifically in a few episodes, particularly ones related to the space station

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

The entirety of The White Vault

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finally figured out what about more lore-heavy Magnus just doesn't do it for me. The statements being given from a smug POV from one of the acolytes of a power just defeats the purpose IMO. It was so much creepier when each statement was a confused person recalling a harrowing experience rather than what amounts to supernatural proselytizing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah there have been a few mentions of the town where the sun doesn't rise for months. I thought this one was creepy too. The matter of fact attitude of dark over coming the light was great.

Also, who do you think was the "battery"?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I really love how Magnus manages to work in these really obscure pieces of real world trivia like Ny-Allesund, Point Nemo, Sannikov Land, Joseph Grimaldi, etc in an organic fashion unlike certain other podcasts (COUGHTANISCOUGH)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just caught up to Alexandria Archives; the short stories range from good to great, but the surrounding plot ranges from okay to hot rancid rear end.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I really love how Magnus manages to work in these really obscure pieces of real world trivia like Ny-Allesund, Point Nemo, Sannikov Land, Joseph Grimaldi, etc in an organic fashion unlike certain other podcasts (COUGHTANISCOUGH)

I'm convinced the people writing Tanis don't really have an underlying logic in mind, leading to the scattershot approach of just mentioning weird things and hoping you'll assume there's a connection. The first couple of seasons of The Black Tapes, there's clearly a Thing going on and the writer knows what it is. Tanis, they didn't do enough work before sitting down to write.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm convinced the people writing Tanis don't really have an underlying logic in mind, leading to the scattershot approach of just mentioning weird things and hoping you'll assume there's a connection. The first couple of seasons of The Black Tapes, there's clearly a Thing going on and the writer knows what it is. Tanis, they didn't do enough work before sitting down to write.

Is Tanis seriously still going?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jurgan posted:

Is Tanis seriously still going?

Yes but it goes on haitus for months at a time to come up with their next ultra short season that's mostly Nic recapping things, repeating what everyone says, talking really slowly, and peddling Bombas Socks.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

New Leaf posted:

Yes but it goes on haitus for months at a time to come up with their next ultra short season that's mostly Nic recapping things, repeating what everyone says, talking really slowly, and peddling Bombas Socks.

While avoiding cultists and secret paramilitary thinktanks, I like to use the US Postal Service. Stamps.com(tm)

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget real world weirdo, Sir Robert Smirke.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yo, so I was looking for a new podcast and stumbled on this thread last week and tried Limetown on the recommendation of the first page. I just finished the first season and started season 2 and the cliffhanger from season 1 seems to not be resolved at the beginning of season 2 and it's all new people.

Can you guys tell me if it is worth continuing? I was super invested in that character and story and it seems kind of lame to end it that way and offer no resolution.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I believe Limetown is worth continuing. It’s a sharp turn from the first season but very closely connected.

I am not sure how much to make of the fact that there’s the Facebook series based on this in production. Maybe I’m worrying overly much but I do wonder if they are leaving certain elements of the story unexplored to be able to run it on the show originally and not spoil it with the podcast.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
IMO the ending of season two indicates that they plan to transition entirely to television as I can’t imagine them trying to continue after specious monologues about how “stories don’t matter” and then jumping into an Xmen rip-off. They especially can’t do the Xmen rip off without drawing comparisons to The Bright Sessions with an evil league of evil twist.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magnus Archives is so good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Magnus Archives is so good.

Welcome to the club, friend! :)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Season 2 of Limetown is good, even if (because?) it is just Season 1 with certain mad libs blanks changed.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I absolutely love S2 of Limetown, but you'll find a lot of varying opinions on it. I think it worked well to describe the events for the tech and the people after Limetown S1. And while it sorta ends on a cliffhanger, we do learn what happened to Lia Haddock.

Also I loved the latest episode of Eskew. David finally gets a bit of control over things, only to see how dangerous that can be.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

vortmax posted:

I absolutely love S2 of Limetown, but you'll find a lot of varying opinions on it. I think it worked well to describe the events for the tech and the people after Limetown S1. And while it sorta ends on a cliffhanger, we do learn what happened to Lia Haddock.

My summary of season 2:

Episodes 1 and 2: Eh, it’s okay, I guess.
Episodes 3 and 4: HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I’VE EVER HEARD!
Episode 5: Wait, that was it?

Also, did we learn what happened to Lia? As I remember, it ended with the woman saying “maybe she’s alive or maybe I killed her. I know the truth, but I’m such a badass even a mind-reader can’t get it from me. Neener neener neener!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You didn't listen all the way to the end I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idrin
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, the very last couple of seconds has her speaking